SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5 > Silent Hunter Online
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-26-12, 07:02 PM   #46
L30P4RD
Watch

Downloads: 60
Uploads: 0

Awesome just what we need I smell an item shop and micro transactions in the air some Pay to Win anybody
L30P4RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 07:09 PM   #47
minispace
Watch

Downloads: 24

SHO seems like it's aimed at the casual market, but that's not neccesarily a bad thing, as long as the game is fun. The more people that are introduced to ww2 submarines, even if it's through a browser game, the more interest there will be in realistic simulations in the future. At least that's what I hope.

I'm just glad the series isn't completely dead, like we all thought after SH5
Old 04-26-12, 07:32 PM   #48
OnyxBMW
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drEaPer View Post
Since I m grinding anyway, because the process of doing so is fun, where is the problem?
The bigger issue appears to be a matter of how it's perceived as handled.

When you play SH*, your goal isn't to, for instance, rank up to a new submarine. Not directly, at least. Instead, your goal is to survive and destroy ships, and you happen to get upgrades somewhat coincidentally as time progresses. By comparison, when you have a grind system that uses XP to unlock, it shifts the focus away from sinking ships and surviving to progressing to the next newer, better submarine.

It won't happen to some people who prefer to not notice such details, since they're still playing the same game (operating under an assumption here). But, the majority of a community will most certainly not make the distinction, and it certainly becomes a matter of getting the next newer, better thing, whatever it is.

Using World of Tanks as an example (PVP instead of PVE, mind), even if the gameplay is fun, the purpose for playing often appears to strictly be progression to the next tank in a progressively longer somewhat linear grind. The gameplay is fun, but the end-goal is always the drive, and that is the fundamental disconnect that will happen when you very obviously throw a grind on top of a game that, by nature, can be construed as a grind due to its somewhat repetitive gameplay.

It's not the repetition that's the problem, or the gameplay. It's the focus of why you're doing the gameplay, and it can become overbearing and take over the community as a whole.

Granted, on an individual basis this may not be a problem, and depending on the communities that develop within the game, if you find your niche community this shouldn't be an issue.

But, what really does concern me is the somewhat heavy handed comments about how the game is going to be casualized.

I don't know about everyone here, but I'm fairly certain a number of us all play at different levels of difficulty and desire different forms of "simulation", from competency of the enemy AI, realism of behavior and routes, and so on, to difficulty of placing shots and finding targets and so on and so forth.

I, personally, play SH5 at the 40-50% mark since, for example, I don't like dud torpedoes and can't handle the TDC at all, nor do I have a desire to do so (among other things). But, I know a lot of people here, since I've perused here often, prefer the game moving so close to simulation that it may as well be analogous to real life during WW2 as a captain. I'm more concerned with how Ubi is going to handle the situation, since this is PVE, so that a player like me, who wants the game to be easier and more of a turkey shoot, but doesn't mind handling logistics such as fuel consumption and finding convoys and the like, versus another player like these boards seem to have, who want to handle all that I do but without a free-floating camera, with dud torps, using the TDC manually, and trying to find ships with active sonar intentionally trying to find everything in a given area.

It can be handled Bastion style, where it's a choose your own difficulty for enhanced rewards...or it could be handled as a one size fits all system...but it seems like, depending on how it's structured, this could be incredibly off-putting to a number of people, especially the more hardcore fans of the simulation aspect of the game.

Either way, I'll need to keep an eye on this, but I am not a fan of a browser-based 3D game...at all...
OnyxBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 07:38 PM   #49
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post

Agreed.

The gaming industry reminds me so much of the major players back in 1981 and 1982 before the industry crash. Everything was about cashing in on franchises and screwing the gamers to turn a buck.

It looks like the mod community's stock just went up and split since Ubisoft wants its "Call of Duty with Submarines" If the subsim community wants accuracy, it has to provide it on its own. If I want "casual", I can easily pop in SH II, III, 4 or 5 and set up a generated mission just to burn a couple of hours. Same for Destroyer Command if I am in the mood to "Popeye" about in Tin Cans.

I don't need any BS Ubisoft online, unrealistic, false-reward-spewing grindfest to get my fix on submarine action. Shells of Fury is more rewarding than the thoughts of a SH MMO concept.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 07:38 PM   #50
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hell, I'll Beta test it.
I'm only interested in the files anyway.
Old 04-26-12, 09:01 PM   #51
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 1

So wait, the game that they came up with that's FTP and online, using recycled Sh5 code has Type II subs... but SH5 doesn't.

I don't want to live in this world anymore.
Old 04-26-12, 09:08 PM   #52
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauter View Post
So wait, the game that they came up with that's FTP and online, using recycled Sh5 code has Type II subs... but SH5 doesn't.

I don't want to live in this world anymore.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 09:58 PM   #53
wingtip
A-ganger

Downloads: 10

I bet they'll finally get true milk cows... cause it will be the only place you can buy upgrades and sell off the worthless junk you bought the mission before...
wingtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 10:29 PM   #54
AngusJS
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 62

How come that gets a KM grid map, but SH5 didn't?
AngusJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 12:53 AM   #55
dcb
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 544

If they stick to their past record of unplayably buggy releases, they will cover themselves with even more ridicule than when they launched the previous installments of the franchise.
dcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 01:36 AM   #56
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

How can it be recycled SH5 code if it runs on Flash 11?
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 01:52 AM   #57
elanaiba
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 3

Its not recycled Sh3/4/5 code.

elanaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 03:04 AM   #58
lmy76128
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 902
Default **** ubisoft..

ubi soft , they sold sh5 and invested online game from sh5 profits
they dont even think make any patches for sh5
what the **** news?
i was deformed by ubi company: nope:
lmy76128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 03:27 AM   #59
ADMIRALTIA
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 3

SCREW UBISOFT FOR DOING THIS TO US. I mean the graphics look like dog poo. I hope your proud of your selves UBI.

I can make a prediction this game will get a terrible review.

Its gonna be like this

Here's my Idea lets their pages like there's no tomorrow. It makes me .

Last edited by ADMIRALTIA; 04-27-12 at 04:44 AM.
ADMIRALTIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 03:35 AM   #60
DrJones
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
We all should post comments on their facebook page stating:
- instead of fixing SH5 you did this?
- what an insult to the Silent Hunter series
- Why don't you fix what you broke (SH5) before creating another disaster
- Don't you have enough kiddies playing your games? You want more?
- How do I play when my internet is down?
- How long do we have to wait before the first patch comes out?
- Are there plans to finish the game or leave it in an unfinished state?
- Does the DRM restrict it to IE only?
- Is there an offline mode so we can play it on our tablet PCs?

Seriously, we should bombard their facebook page with negative comments

What a complete insult to the series...
Absolutley...i am still commenting everything on their facebook page...
DrJones is offline   Reply With Quote