SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5 > Silent Hunter Online
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-31-13, 10:13 AM   #1
Kapitan_Phillips
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 202
Uploads: 0
Default An outsider(ish) take on STO

Hi, I'm Kapitan_Phillips. You may remember me from such films as "Dude, Where's My Tardis?" and "My Big Fat Sontaran Wedding" - I've been browsing Subsim on and off somewhat lately, and can't really figure out the immense amount of hate this new Silent Hunter Online lark is getting. Here are a few positives I have gleaned from the videos/information I've seen and what I think it could mean:
  1. Minimal System Requirements
    It appears to me that unless you're still running a Commodore 64, you'll be able to login and play the game with others. This, to me, is a great thing. Fantastic graphics are great, but to those with lower end computers, running SH5 is a pipedream. SHO will allow a greater number of this community to join up in a game together, which is kind of what it's all about, right? Sure, it's not going to be GWX, and it's not going to be Dangerous Waters 2, but I think alot of people are pissing all over it way too early. It's going to be free to play, so there's no real financial investment - I can understand people getting miffed after forking out £40-50 on Silent Hunter 5, only to have it be about as stable as a farting rhino on a tightrope. My advice is to at least give it a go before making a decision.
  2. Dynamic Campaign
    This sort of ties in to my point about this community being able to get involved in multiplayer a little more. Subsim could have it's own Wolfpack, we could have RP boards if people wanted them, and we could see interaction from members we don't usually hear from. (Plus we'd get a chance to sabotage Neal) - and the main thing is, the stuff we do will matter to the flow of the game.
  3. Other things (That I assume)
    I'm assuming that SHO will eventually have mobile capability, meaning you can check in with your boat at work, at school or on the commode. Making it a fun distraction that'd be readily available when your nan starts talking about 18th century carpets or something. I don't usually go in for mobile gaming, but hell, it's U-Boats. When I'm not playing as one, I'm reading about them anyway - might aswell make myself useful!

Finally, SHO may just spark a renewed interest in the OTHER Silent Hunter games, and subsims in general. A fair few friends of mine want to give the SH series a try, but feel the learning curve is too steep, or they don't have the patience for it. SHO could act as a good introduction to the submarine world we love so much, and new players could go from SHO, to installing GWX, to playing SH5, etc. etc.

Anyway, rant over, just thought I'd give my two cents on the situation - I'm sure I've missed something, like the T&C clause that got leaked meaning we could only play if we surrendered our firstborn daughters to EA, but hey, I'm just going to sit here, give it a go, and if I don't like it, fair enough, but if I do, I'll see you all on the Atlantic.

P.S. To prevent you all from arguing, here is Karen Gillan.

KP
Old 05-31-13, 11:05 AM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Hey, long-tall, welcome back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitan_Phillips View Post
can't really figure out the immense amount of hate this new Silent Hunter Online lark is getting.
No hate from me, but more than a little negativism. I'll try to explain in a reasonable manner.

Quote:
you'll be able to login and play the game with others. This, to me, is a great thing.
If you're after a multiplyer game, I'm sure you're right. If it turns out to be a good one, then great. I'm not after a game at all, but a truly good submarine simulator. Ubi seems determined to avoid giving us that. Hence the "hate" you see. I would call it righteous anger myself.

Quote:
SHO will allow a greater number of this community to join up in a game together, which is kind of what it's all about, right?
Again, not for those still waiting for a decent subsim, and wondering if we'll ever see one.

As for mobile use and other cute gamey things, this looks to me like they're getting farther and farther away from what I want. I'm not a gamer, and am not looking for something to waste my time on. I want a subsim that reflects life in the boats, and while SH3 comes the closest they still haven't gotten it right.

That's my rant, and I can watch Karen Gillan anytime I want.
Old 05-31-13, 11:10 AM   #3
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 998

a little off topic but after seeing what ubi did to the new IL-2 Cliffs of Dover i would have very little hope of them producing a decent subsim or any decent simulator for that matter.

another issue is that the great and powerful mod makers here will not be able to fix whatever issues arise as the game is browser based.
desertstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-13, 12:13 PM   #4
the_tyrant
Admiral

Downloads: 58

ghost recon online is a brilliant transition of an established franchise into a multiplayer focused online game. I am confident that UBI has the capabilities to pull off ghost recon online

here is my review of ghost recon online: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...+online+review
Old 05-31-13, 04:40 PM   #5
Vince82
Engineer

Downloads: 34

Quote:
Finally, SHO may just spark a renewed interest in the OTHER Silent Hunter games, and subsims in general. A fair few friends of mine want to give the SH series a try, but feel the learning curve is too steep, or they don't have the patience for it. SHO could act as a good introduction to the submarine world we love so much, and new players could go from SHO, to installing GWX, to playing SH5, etc. etc.
I think so too, or they think it's to much of hassle to download and install all sorts of mods.
Vince82 is offline   Reply With Quote