SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-23-16, 07:10 AM   #751
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Update on my friend his Win7 is back but there are problems he can not fix so hes taking it into repair shop this week.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-16, 01:52 PM   #752
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Susan Bradley busts Microsoft in the chops

First and foremost I think Microsoft is being a bully on the Internet. A big bully. The manner in which Windows 10 has been pushed out the patching channel has me seriously questioning if I want to be associated with this Company going forward… No update should install without your explicit permission to do so. I don’t appreciate that it’s being done with the justification of “from feedback from Microsoft customers”. No, Microsoft, we asked you for an easier way to say no, thank you. No one asked you to schedule the upgrade for us.
http://www.askwoody.com/2016/susan-b...-in-the-chops/

They should be given a dam good spanking but MS may enjoy that.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 05-23-16, 01:55 PM   #753
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Default A lot of people got hit....

May be of interest:
From AskWoody:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/307...o-recover.html
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-16, 03:11 PM   #754
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
http://www.askwoody.com/2016/susan-b...-in-the-chops/

They should be given a dam good spanking but MS may enjoy that.
Microsoft? A bully?

Old 05-23-16, 03:41 PM   #755
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Wow, this is getting out of hand

http://www.pcworld.com/article/30734...upgrading.html

Quote:
The redesigned GWX pop-up now treats exiting the window as consent for the Windows 10 upgrade.

So after more than half a year of teaching people that the only way to say “no thanks” to Windows 10 is to exit the GWX application—and refusing to allow users to disable the pop-up in any obvious manner, so they had to press that X over and over again during those six months to the point that most people probably just click it without reading now—Microsoft just made it so that very behavior accepts the Windows 10 upgrade instead, rather than canceling it.
Old 05-23-16, 06:36 PM   #756
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Skunks stink, Neal, what's the surprise?

Its pointless to accuse a scorpion of stinging. Stinging is part of its true nature. Best advise is to avoid it and leave it to itself.

Or smash it with your boot, then it cannot run after you anymore.
Old 05-24-16, 09:10 AM   #757
Skybird
Soaring

Same story, different narrator.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/win...ing-windows-10
Old 05-24-16, 10:23 AM   #758
STEED
Lucky Jack

^Just been reading that article.

MS is like those big criminal banks not giving a dam who they walk over and hurt. They are a disgrace and I bet they will get away with it, that is too say the more evil backstabbing under handed tactics to come.

Old 05-24-16, 11:14 AM   #759
Skybird
Soaring

Some days ago, I posted this at Woody'S forum:

Marc says:
May 20, 2016 at 7:54 pm

People should not be surprised that MS does what it does, for it now officially does not care for private customers anymore like it once did, in the 90s when climaxing its dominace with Win95. But in recent years, MS has more and more pulled out of producing for private consumer market, their attempts to grab a hold in the smartphone market crumbled, their strategy with the Surface tablets has collapsed, and in the first market they have almost completed their pull-out, with the latter market being not updated with new hardware anymore, it seems to be set for getting abandoned sooner than later, too. Windows as a coin-generator has lost meaning due to Google and Apple with their OS hacking away at it, also MS Office sees strong and free competition via LibreOffice and Apache Office. MS more and more exclusively focusses on the server market and business sector, maybe cloud services. Private customers only disturb the routine here.

You guys feel ignored by MS for one simple reason. You are indeed being ignored for real, that simple. They do not care for you as customers anymore. In principle, you are just a surviving artifact of an older time long since gone, and nowadays you are a nuisance. They probably would prefer you would not exist – and your Win7 installations would seize to exist as well so that they can stop investing into their efforts of trying to transform them into W10.

Your hopes for MS turnign better again, are illusory. Your good will and patience is in vain. Wake up to the truth.
Old 05-24-16, 03:34 PM   #760
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

I predicted it four months ago. I posted the fix: a combination of GWX Control Panel and Spybot Anti-Beacon. It worked then and it continues to work now. Microsoft announced back in December that in the first quarter of 2016 the upgrade would no longer be voluntary. Why, why didn't people believe them? Why, when the solutions were published by me to the point where I received PMs to just shut up, didn't people take the medicine?

Nobody running those two programs, or even running GWX Control Panel alone, has seen the upgrade window. We've been trumpeting the solution for four months. Those being caught have no excuse.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-16, 04:31 PM   #761
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
........ Why, when the solutions were published by me to the point where I received PMs to just shut up, didn't people take the medicine? ......
Thanks for not shutting up. You, Skybird & Steed all brought the seriousness of this into the light and gave good advice that kept my Win 7 'clean'.

Funny, I heard about this first on Subsim!
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-16, 04:39 PM   #762
Skybird
Soaring

Its not really a solution, it is a workaround - to arrange oneself with what I consider to be open fraud now, criminal behavior.

Its as if some fraudster offers a contract and not signing means one accepted it, or saying "no" is taken as a "Yes".

A "Solution" it would be if MS unconditionally goes back to the old ways of communication where terms meant terms, and words had a non-arbitrary meaning and faulty patches indeed were accidents, not intention, and communication was no trap.

Thus, there is only one reasonable way out now: rejecting to arrange oneself with a foul compromise, and drawing (pulling?) the consequence - abandon the use of MS software and products. Everything else is wishful thinking only, and lamblike naivety. I do not understand that people accept to be like this and try so hard to like W10, and find endless excuses for MS wicked ways. I just cannot understand that. They do their share to make things worse in the future.

Because in the end they help that MS gets away with it. And by securing that outcome, they help to make sure that in the future things will get even worse. Because MS once again has learned that it will get away with it. So why should it chnage its ways, if they are so successful?

Its like this with so many things, isn't it. Going cashless instead of using cash. Obeying businesses' questionable demands or influences instead of letting said businesses die by boycotting them. Taking the shortsighted easy solution and ignoring the longterm consequences. And my favourite: always - blindly, unreasonably - hoping for the best, and considering that to be a good strategy.

Disillusionising.
Old 05-25-16, 08:35 AM   #763
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

But it is a solution if you don't want to give up Windows 7 for now and have no intention of sending another penny to Microsoft. It buys probably five years to find an alternative.

If you're running Windows 7, you spent the money awhile ago. Whether you continue to use it or not, it doesn't make Microsloth another pfennig.

My strategy is neither shortsighted, nor blindly hoping for the best. It is a measured response, mitigating a formerly good company's moves to coerce my behavior. The sky is not falling. Others will rise up to eat Microsoft's lunch and we'll never miss a beat, nor will we miss Microsoft.

In the meantime, Windows 7 is the refuge of choice, buying time for events to pan out. Microsoft is already shut off. No Microsoft Cloud. No Access. No Microsoft devices of any kind. No Microsoft software, ever again. How is that "taking the shortsighted easy solution and ignoring the longterm consequences?" It isn't.

You don't drop hydrogen bombs on cockroaches. You don't cut off your arm to fix a hangnail. This is a mere nuisance, not a catastrophe.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 05-25-16 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-25-16, 04:35 PM   #764
Skybird
Soaring

This is completly new territory for me: are there any laptops, game-performance compatible, that are optimised or designed to be used with Linux in the first? And have no Microsoft stuff pre-installed? Any brand to look for, any roduct-line? - (I sit in Germany).

Also, my well-proven, good-quality printer Canon iPixma 5200 does not like Linux, because Canon does not like Linux. Drivers I changed, but the one driver has okay picture quality and lousy text print, the other prints text well but you can forget images with it. Any company, brand, product line to look out for that is optimised for Linux (but works with W7 as well if wanted), and that has the option to use cheaper third party ink cartridges?

Printing is one of the few things were Linux with my current hardware really lets me down. My old scanner, also a Canon model (some 8400 name), is not much liked by Linux, too. Canon is said to run an explicit business policy to not support Linux and line up with Microsoft's policies that way. Unfortunately, I feel the sting from that. Which is a shame, both devices are superb quality for the buck. A combined printer-scanner solution running reliable under Linux with good printing results and high resolution scanning (photo negatives) would be welcomed, too.
Old 05-25-16, 08:18 PM   #765
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Here's a good article on how to buy a laptop for Linux. Interestingly, Neal's present giant killer laptop, the Dell XPS13, was also sold in an Ubuntu version without Windows on the machine at all.

Interestingly, Ubuntu makes it pretty easy to buy a laptop, maintaining a list of Ubuntu Certified Hardware so you can determine whether a given machine meets the task of Linux.

Tags
windows