SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-28-08, 10:29 AM   #16
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatico
One thing is still unclear:

- Are there any GWX projects for SH4 ?
- Do they still exist as a team ?
- Is it just "giving a hand" to a new SH4 Atlantic creators, on personal bases ?

Wolfpack is "running silent"... and "alpha male" seems to be retired ?

Already announced weeks ago; GWX for SH4 is in developement and updates will be very few if any before the release.

If it's going to be even half as good as your SHIII mod it will be well worth the wait.
TDK1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 10:52 AM   #17
Adriatico
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 119

If it is true, it's the best software news I,ve heard in a last few years...

But my long simulation expierence gave me a lesson: be very suspecious with projects - with very few updates, if any...

Sincerely hope that I'm wrong...

Adriatico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 11:01 AM   #18
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
If it is true, it's the best software news I,ve heard in a last few years...

But my long simulation expierence gave me a lesson: be very suspecious with projects - with very few updates, if any...

Sincerely hope that I'm wrong...

You just need to be patient. Members of the GWX team have stated repeatedly that they are working on a large mod for SHIV, but that it's a fair way off yet.

They won't be rushed. They'll take their time and do it right.
Old 07-28-08, 12:05 PM   #19
Adriatico
Grey Wolf

If so, I'm sure that they won't rush... so much the better.

Just have to say that GWX 2.1 was a surplus project from the day 1.

Instead of investing all that energy, time, effort and coordination into technical perfection of "already out of date graphic engine" - it would have been much better if they have started 12 months ago to shift GWX gameplay into SH4 visual environment.

Long time ago, it was clear that very few players would become SH funs - because of improvement of GWX 2.1 compared to GWX 2.0... but many players left SH3 because of old graphic, atractive new visuals and hardware price-drop...

Please, don't blame me for my genuine opinion, I am still playing GWX 2.1, I am very grateful to Wolfpack for their effort... but time will prove that I was right.

Feel free to fire back on me...

Old 07-28-08, 12:18 PM   #20
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

I think if Ubisoft had released the SDK for SHIII then some things could have been very different.

With SH4, it was the Devs who pushed for a U Boat expansion pack. They wanted it as a free download, but the money men had other ideas. When you look at the work done by Leo Vampire, kriller 2, and many others currently modding for this game, I think the next 12 months will be exciting for SH4.
Old 07-28-08, 02:14 PM   #21
Adriatico
Grey Wolf

Hope you're right...

There are two oposing facts:

1) Kriegsmarine WW2 warfare is by far more challenging and interesting than US Pacific story
2) US&UK are the biggest market of legal software... and these guys are not very interested in shooting their own ships... fair enough.

We should be aware that subsim community is just a small portion of fanatics, within general "SH market"...

Old 07-28-08, 03:58 PM   #22
Hartmann
Sea Lord

Downloads: 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by csengoi
And what about KM grid on the Atlantic, and type XXI uboot? Will them also implemented?
Is possible to implement the XXI boat, take the walter boat from the addon and change the specs in the configuration files dived spped to 17 knts . and remove the walter turbine fuel.

At this moment sh3 is near of the modding limit and could be better stay with sh4, is a great engine with a lot of possibilities

She is made of iron, sir. I assure you, she can. and she will. It is a mathematical certainty.

Strength and honor
Hartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 04:35 PM   #23
Pablo
Commodore

Downloads: 165

Quote:

Instead of investing all that energy, time, effort and coordination into technical perfection of "already out of date graphic engine" - it would have been much better if they have started 12 months ago to shift GWX gameplay into SH4 visual environment.

Long time ago, it was clear that very few players would become SH funs - because of improvement of GWX 2.1 compared to GWX 2.0... but many players left SH3 because of old graphic, atractive new visuals and hardware price-drop...

Please, don't blame me for my genuine opinion, I am still playing GWX 2.1, I am very grateful to Wolfpack for their effort... but time will prove that I was right.

MODERATOR HAT OFF:

Hi!

IIRC, the GWX Team decided to finish off V2.1 for the SH3 engine and await the appearance of the U-boat Missions Add-On, since the team felt
  1. the add-on would probably make life a lot easier for folks interested in modding U-boats, as well as giving Ubisoft another opportunity to kill SH4 game engine bugs.
  2. The GWX team could work out some final kinks in GWX to better prepare for a move to the SH4 engine, should the team decide to continue that way.
As it turned out, the U-boat Missions arrived in late February 2008, while the final GWX V2.1 appeared only a couple of months later, in April 2008, so it seems to me that not all that much time has been "lost" by completing GWX V2.1....

Pablo

"...far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
- Theodore Roosevelt, speech before the Hamilton Club, Chicago, April 10, 1899
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 05:07 PM   #24
ref
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo
Quote:

MODERATOR HAT OFF:

Hi!

IIRC, the GWX Team decided to finish off V2.1 for the SH3 engine and await the appearance of the U-boat Missions Add-On, since the team felt
  1. the add-on would probably make life a lot easier for folks interested in modding U-boats, as well as giving Ubisoft another opportunity to kill SH4 game engine bugs.
  2. The GWX team could work out some final kinks in GWX to better prepare for a move to the SH4 engine, should the team decide to continue that way.
As it turned out, the U-boat Missions arrived in late February 2008, while the final GWX V2.1 appeared only a couple of months later, in April 2008, so it seems to me that not all that much time has been "lost" by completing GWX V2.1....

Pablo
You're correct, Pablo, after exchanging some PMs with the devs, we decided to wait till the addon was released, prior to that there where too many limitations to port correctly the subs (only two compartments), also the KM grid was missing (although the current implementation of it in SH4 has a lot of problems, hopefully we can get some help from the devs).
We're now setting the quality baseline to which sh3 units should be converted to exploit the better sh4 graphic engine, mostly getting aquainted with the new capabilities of it.

Ref
Old 07-29-08, 05:44 AM   #25
Jaeger
Chief

Downloads: 28

as you all know, it is much appreciated by the community to get as many as possible information about the development process while the customers are waiting for the new product. could you please install a dev diary thread or give us screenshots about the dev status?
Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-08, 08:23 AM   #26
ryoga_77
A-ganger

Downloads: 91

First of all congrats to Privateer and Pablo for their new respective positions and thanks for the continued efforts of the GW team!

Second,will there be Photo recon , agent insertion , supply delivery or airman rescue type of missions for GWX 4 ?

Or is it just a case of keeping your card deck close to your chest!
ryoga_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-08, 08:25 AM   #27
ryoga_77
A-ganger

Downloads: 91

OOPS, wrong thread!
ryoga_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-08, 06:35 AM   #28
csengoi
A-ganger

Downloads: 12

I have some questions:

In SH3 there is report, where the engeneer tells me the maximum range of the boat at current speed. Is this report absolutely missing from SH4?
In SH2 there was a calendar in the captains room, which contained the actual moon phases. Is it possible to include it in SH4? (Does even the light of the moon matter, I mean does the enemy senses me easear at full moon?)
Why isn't there weather report?
Is it possible to include custom radio channels?
csengoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-08, 05:23 AM   #29
Gorshkov
Commodore

Downloads: 139

I'd like to note it would be very appreciated if future GWX-like mods for SH4 were reasonably resource consuming. For example mission loading time in GWX is 10 minutes and in SH4 it is usually a half of minute. Many tons of additional graphic stuff is not necessary in SH4 game because of genuinely very good graphics in the stock game.
Gorshkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-08, 08:35 AM   #30
shackman
Watch

Downloads: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by csengoi
I have some questions:

In SH3 there is report, where the engeneer tells me the maximum range of the boat at current speed. Is this report absolutely missing from SH4?

Why isn't there weather report?

I was wondering the same thing... Don't have a clue why they left it out.... it was actually...very helpful
shackman is offline   Reply With Quote