SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-06-23, 06:27 PM   #1
DeutscheQuality
Seaman

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 0
radar Help with getting some "authenticity"

I'm currently playing a FOTRS campaign during early 1943, my boat is a Sargo class submarine.

My last campaign was on the break of the war, and, as far i remember, you received orders to stay submerged and only surface at low visibility times when 500nmi of japanese airfields. My question is: should this be followed on later war?

Also, any other type of information about real life procedures would be welcomed.

Many thanks
DeutscheQuality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-23, 08:06 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeutscheQuality View Post
I'm currently playing a FOTRS campaign during early 1943, my boat is a Sargo class submarine.

My last campaign was on the break of the war, and, as far i remember, you received orders to stay submerged and only surface at low visibility times when 500nmi of japanese airfields. My question is: should this be followed on later war?

Also, any other type of information about real life procedures would be welcomed.

Many thanks
that is probably the order of the day during the war however you should direct your activities based on the aircraft activity at the time.
if you stay unseen then you should not need to stay submerged all day.
to that end, try not to be seen by any enemy craft: fishing boat, junk, aircraft, whatever.
when you sink something move away from that area, ASAP, or expect aircraft to be hunting you.
submerge as soon as you detect the aircraft and attempt to move away until you are no longer harassed.
it is strongly recommended that you do not engage aircraft as it will generate more patrolling aircraft.
good luck!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-23, 11:01 AM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

What is somewhat typical of the USN DeutscheQuality, especially in light of the pre-war training they had, was there was a directive issued that the boats were to stay submerged during daylight hours whenever within 500nm of known enemy airfields, yet when they came back in from patrol were reprimanded for having spent too much time submerged... lol - I have not seen any "directive" or orders in the several books I have read that countermands that "stay submerged" directive, but there almost has to have been, since especially after Mush Morton and several others earlier in the war were able to roam farther, find more targets, and attack more often, that being mostly on the surface was encouraged. Similar happens later in the war when the boats were used in lifeguard duty and basically had to stay on the surface to receive reports of downed fliers. Getting a proper ID on a distant plane, especially at certain angles, or when they are flying out of the sun (a preferred aviator tactic) is quite difficult, and getting a FOF comm is not reliable, so the general course of action was to Crash Dive and ask questions later... but there was SCAP (Submarine Combat Air Patrol) provided quite frequently at times, which once established, would help in that regard, but throughout the war, being topside for a submarine was indeed hazardous. If you look at some of the radio messages your boat receives, there are some other "reality fillers" you will find. You could also follow SOP and do a daily Trim Dive (simulated, of course) and other Standard Operating Procedures the boats did.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote