SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-29-23, 11:22 AM   #1
dstrip2
Nub

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Support Trying to get back on the seas after 15 years

Hey guys. Sorry to have to post a new topic, I've been looking through and following the windows 10 tutorials and all.

Many moons ago, i was staying up till 3am plugging torps into Japanese shipping on a nice modded version of SH4 running on windows XP. unfortunately, my previous stepfamily absconded with my desktop and SH4 amongst may other things. Fortunately, I've recently come into ownership of an older Macbook Pro, partitioned it to run windows 10 home, and downloaded SH4 from Ubisoft.

I've got 16GB of ram and an Intel i7 at 2.6 ghz, 64 bit OS of Win10 home build 19044.2846 and would love to get back on the seas.

when i first installed SH4, it would take up some memory but no real disk/CPU usage, not launch, just kind of sit there in task manager. As suggested in the tutorials, I moved the game from System files to my own new "games" folder, disabled "read only", downloaded directx websetup and 9c (had to install 9c to desktop and run it from there, sys files wouldn't allow me to uncheck read-only), and still haven't gotten the game to launch beyond "allow SH4 to make changes to your computer". Checking sys32, i dont see anything related to directx, and in syswow the directx folder says it's empty, though both directx installers say everything is good to go.

anyway, where I'm at now is this. click desktop shortcut for SH4 or try to launch through Uplay -> "allow SH4 to make changes", "yes" -> infinite spinning/loading in Uplay. I've run DirectX installer from microsoft, and... don't really know where to go from here.

Once i get the base game up and running, ill be adding the LAA bit and finding the graphics/sounds/historical shipping mods ect that i used to have... i just need help getting the dang thing to launch.

oh, FWIW, the mission editor seems to launch and function just fine.

if Y'all have anything to help me get back on the high seas, I'd be very appreciative. In the meantime, I'll continue trying to follow the stickied Win10 threads and hope something solves whatever it is i have going on.

thank you all for your time.

<S>
dstrip2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-23, 02:37 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrip2 View Post
Hey guys. Sorry to have to post a new topic, I've been looking through and following the windows 10 tutorials and all.

Many moons ago, i was staying up till 3am plugging torps into Japanese shipping on a nice modded version of SH4 running on windows XP. unfortunately, my previous stepfamily absconded with my desktop and SH4 amongst may other things. Fortunately, I've recently come into ownership of an older Macbook Pro, partitioned it to run windows 10 home, and downloaded SH4 from Ubisoft.

I've got 16GB of ram and an Intel i7 at 2.6 ghz, 64 bit OS of Win10 home build 19044.2846 and would love to get back on the seas.

when i first installed SH4, it would take up some memory but no real disk/CPU usage, not launch, just kind of sit there in task manager. As suggested in the tutorials, I moved the game from System files to my own new "games" folder, disabled "read only", downloaded directx websetup and 9c (had to install 9c to desktop and run it from there, sys files wouldn't allow me to uncheck read-only), and still haven't gotten the game to launch beyond "allow SH4 to make changes to your computer". Checking sys32, i dont see anything related to directx, and in syswow the directx folder says it's empty, though both directx installers say everything is good to go.

anyway, where I'm at now is this. click desktop shortcut for SH4 or try to launch through Uplay -> "allow SH4 to make changes", "yes" -> infinite spinning/loading in Uplay. I've run DirectX installer from microsoft, and... don't really know where to go from here.

Once i get the base game up and running, ill be adding the LAA bit and finding the graphics/sounds/historical shipping mods ect that i used to have... i just need help getting the dang thing to launch.

oh, FWIW, the mission editor seems to launch and function just fine.

if Y'all have anything to help me get back on the high seas, I'd be very appreciative. In the meantime, I'll continue trying to follow the stickied Win10 threads and hope something solves whatever it is i have going on.

thank you all for your time.

<S>
welcome back, dstrip.

the SH4 installation process should have prompted you to install Directx ver 9 at that time. not sure why you didn't get that, however as long as you install it to your system, SH4 should find it.

forget about Uplay. just run SH4 from its home folder.

you did not mention which version of SH4 you purchased from UBI. hopefully you bought license to SH4 1.5 with Uboat Missions (AKA Gold Edition). the lion's share of the mods are written for SH4 v1.5 UBM.

you mention LAA and mods but you did not mention JSGME, which could just be an oversight.
you will want to use JSGME to manage your mods.

after these couple of suggestions, fire it up and go play some missions, etc with modded Stock SH4, and have some fun!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-23, 05:24 PM   #3
dstrip2
Nub

Downloads: 7
Default It’s working… IT’S WORKING!!

Yeah, ignoring Uplay and deleting the shortcut it created and doing my own shortcut has worked.

It is the “Gold Edition” thankfully. Good to know that’s the one I needed anyway haha. Good news is that’s the standard download from Ubisoft.

To note (in case anyone else finds this) I did have to install some DirectX patches, and put SH4 in it’s own folder (not in the default program files).

Now that the base game works, I’ll work on getting my mods back by following the same stickied threads. I seem to remember historical locations, air patrol, and shipping as well as several beautiful graphics mods.

Thanks for the reply, and happy sailing =)
dstrip2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-23, 05:27 PM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

dstrip2!...after a 13 year 'silent run'!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote