SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-09-23, 10:09 PM   #1
GreyLadyDown
Swabbie

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Agent insertion

I have been playing this game for years. The last couple times I have played it every single mission is inserting an agent or inserting troops. Is this normal for the game? The whole thing is just starting out insert someone? I don't remember doing this every mission when I first got this game.
GreyLadyDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-23, 10:27 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

GreyLadyDown! back on the surface(inserting agents?) after a 3 year 'silent run'?

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-23, 08:23 AM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyLadyDown View Post
I have been playing this game for years. The last couple times I have played it every single mission is inserting an agent or inserting troops. Is this normal for the game? The whole thing is just starting out insert someone? I don't remember doing this every mission when I first got this game.
Which version of the game do you have? If a disk version, is it by chance the earlier v1.3x of the disk, or the v1.5 "Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific - Gold Edition"? The older versions of the game did have config issues with repeating mission assignments. That was "fixed" in v1.4 and v1.5 - however, there are quite a few of those missions, and the game can seemingly still get stuck in that routine, especially inserting agents and/or spys and/or troops on Honshu, of which I have not found any historical basis on that, but they can be fun to do. There is only one assignment on the east coast of Japan that is slightly difficult, in that they put you within range of a set of shore guns, but if you are aware of that particular mission, you can approach shore from the north, using the land mass as a view block to surface and land your charge. Slink away afterwards, no matter the mission, and either then go sink some ships, or fone home with a Status Update and get another assignment. I do not like the Insertion missions, nor the PhotoOp ones that have you go into the Inland Sea. Some of us refer to those as "Hollywood Movie" assignments. Definitely not based upon fact. No matter which version of the game you have though, you can ignore orders and just go sink ships. Just be sure you sink enough to earn enough renown points. Also, you do have the likelihood of being reassigned that same mission if you did not complete that original Objective because, after all, orders are orders... snap to attention when you say that! lol

If you have a v1.3x version of the disk game, you can use the Official v1.4 patch from here on the SubSim site (Ubisoft no longer has that available), to update your v1.3 to v1.4, which improves the game in many ways. There are not many mods anywhere that are v1.3 compatible, and not many more that are v1.4 compatible, though there are more of those. SH4 with the U-Boat Missions, aka: Gold Edition or v1.5 is the most common version, with most of the mods available these days being written for it. If you have the Steam version of the game, there is the "Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific" version, which in reality is v1.3, and then there is the "U-Boat Missions Add-On", which you need that first version for... The Steam version will not update with the Ubisoft v1.4 patch, only with its own version of the "U-Boat Missions Add-On". Ubisoft only sells a downloadable "Gold Edition" anymore.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-23, 10:20 PM   #4
GreyLadyDown
Swabbie

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Which version of the game do you have? If a disk version, is it by chance the earlier v1.3x of the disk, or the v1.5 "Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific - Gold Edition"? The older versions of the game did have config issues with repeating mission assignments. That was "fixed" in v1.4 and v1.5 - however, there are quite a few of those missions, and the game can seemingly still get stuck in that routine, especially inserting agents and/or spys and/or troops on Honshu, of which I have not found any historical basis on that, but they can be fun to do. There is only one assignment on the east coast of Japan that is slightly difficult, in that they put you within range of a set of shore guns, but if you are aware of that particular mission, you can approach shore from the north, using the land mass as a view block to surface and land your charge. Slink away afterwards, no matter the mission, and either then go sink some ships, or fone home with a Status Update and get another assignment. I do not like the Insertion missions, nor the PhotoOp ones that have you go into the Inland Sea. Some of us refer to those as "Hollywood Movie" assignments. Definitely not based upon fact. No matter which version of the game you have though, you can ignore orders and just go sink ships. Just be sure you sink enough to earn enough renown points. Also, you do have the likelihood of being reassigned that same mission if you did not complete that original Objective because, after all, orders are orders... snap to attention when you say that! lol

If you have a v1.3x version of the disk game, you can use the Official v1.4 patch from here on the SubSim site (Ubisoft no longer has that available), to update your v1.3 to v1.4, which improves the game in many ways. There are not many mods anywhere that are v1.3 compatible, and not many more that are v1.4 compatible, though there are more of those. SH4 with the U-Boat Missions, aka: Gold Edition or v1.5 is the most common version, with most of the mods available these days being written for it. If you have the Steam version of the game, there is the "Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific" version, which in reality is v1.3, and then there is the "U-Boat Missions Add-On", which you need that first version for... The Steam version will not update with the Ubisoft v1.4 patch, only with its own version of the "U-Boat Missions Add-On". Ubisoft only sells a downloadable "Gold Edition" anymore.

I bought my game on Steam years ago. It does not say what version it is. Every mission was to deploy a spy, then when it sent me to the Australian port it was to insert troops. That's all it has been having me do and in the same location.
GreyLadyDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-23, 10:34 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

If you start the computer's Steam Launcher app and log-in to start the game there, it will say which it is. The icon in the game folder itself always says "SH4.exe", but if you right-click on that file, and choose "Properties" from the context menu, then click on the "Details" tab, you will see a "Product version:" line about the middle of that little window. The "Gold Edition", or "U-Boat Missions Add-On" both will have "1,5,0,0" in that box. The older version will show 1,3,x,x, which signifies I am not certain as to which of the various v1.3 of the game they are using... lol - The Steam downloads should have these images on their starts in the Steam app on your computer:

Silent Hunter: U-Boat Missions Add-On (updates the below version)

Silent Hunter: Woves of the Pacific (v1.3 of the game)

It looks the same on there still, so same ole same old... you have to buy two games to get the one...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote