Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-09-22, 12:58 PM   #4381
Torvald Von Mansee
Sea Lord

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Democracy is just fine here. In fact nobody thought it needed saving until the lead up to the mid terms. It’s another political slogan the latest headline to induce a reaction, gain a vote, or sell papers.
So, you're fine with a gerrymandered state legislature overruling the majority of state voters to send a slate of Presidential Electors to the Electoral College different from what was voted for?
Old 11-09-22, 12:59 PM   #4382
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Cheated just enough to make it look believable that people love inflation and bowing down to Saudi Arabia and Venezuela for oil, saving all their good cheating for 2024.
Old 11-09-22, 01:32 PM   #4383
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Does this result mean that Trump is a busted flush for the Republican Presidential candidate in 2024 then? and does that also mean that "MAGA" is finally dead and buried?.

I expected something like this happening as there were too many issues for any one party to focus on and, when you have as many issues as America has it all gets drowned out by the rest of the noise. The Republicans should have focused on no more than three things, crime, inflation and immigration to name three of them, then they might have done better at the polls, as it is they spread themselves too thin and as I've already said, all that noise drowned out the message they should have been sending out.

I'm thinking that the Republican leadership is to blame for this result "whoever they are", one thing they need to do, and that is to take a long hard look at themselves and change something or else they won't be having a leader in the Whitehouse for the next election either, or will that be the next decade?.
Old 11-09-22, 01:36 PM   #4384
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

By 2024 more party voting Republicans will have passed away while the 16 somethings will be of voting age and likely voting Democrat.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-22, 01:53 PM   #4385
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torvald Von Mansee View Post
So, you're fine with a gerrymandered state legislature overruling the majority of state voters to send a slate of Presidential Electors to the Electoral College different from what was voted for?
That’s a difficult question to answer because I don’t know what state you live in. Not all states do it or to the extent others do and those that do don’t go to the extremes of the gerrymandering record holders like Maryland and North Carolina.

If it’s a problem then it’s a matter for the voters, their representatives and courts in their respective states to resolve.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 11-09-22 at 02:07 PM.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-22, 01:54 PM   #4386
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
By 2024 more party voting Republicans will have passed away while the 16 somethings will be of voting age and likely voting Democrat.

Sounds a lot like Hispanic immigrants will all vote Dem meme. We'll see. At least if the Repubs take the House then Speaker McCarthy can maybe get some of the Dems tossed out or put in jail, at least from the executive branch.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-22, 02:12 PM   #4387
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
Jeebus is that ever a sad testimony to the state of the Democrat political platform of getting re-elected. Waiting for Republicans to die off before next election.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-22, 02:21 PM   #4388
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Jeebus is that ever a sad testimony to the state of the Democrat political platform of getting re-elected. Waiting for Republicans to die off before next election.
It's just an observation about the changing demographic landscape, not a policy.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-22, 02:36 PM   #4389
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Many of Trump'S most supported extremists and last election deniars have failed, and Trump definitely has less wind in his sails now. That is good.

The margin in Congress by which the opposing party traditionally scores against the president'S party, is smaller than traditionally. That is a message.

As a foreigner I would assume that many Americans were tired of the blatant extremism and hate and polarization and ever ongoing same old lies being told over and over again by Trump. Also, the slaughtering of abortion rights now shows its cost for the Republicans, I assume.

Seen that way, Biden has won this, considering his role as president and the fate many other presidents have suffered at midterms in their first term. No red tsunami, not even a trace of it - the oracle in the Trump tower was wrong. Like so often.

For the Republicans this can only mean to make a clear cut and get rid of Trump. If they make him their candidate for the election 2024, this result today does not hold reasons for them to be optimistic. As I wrote earlier: he is no the ace in their sleeves - he is a burden. And burdens must be gotten rid of.
Old 11-09-22, 02:55 PM   #4390
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I say they have just withdrawn and are licking their wounds.. MAGA is not death or defeated Nor is Trump.

He may be a burden-His followers doesn't see him like that.

I say he will return with new strength and his followers MAGA will come out of the bushes.

I could of course be wrong.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-22, 03:34 PM   #4391
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
The margin in Congress by which the opposing party traditionally scores against the president'S party, is smaller than traditionally. That is a message.
The majority is decided by one vote.

Quote:
Seen that way, Biden has won this, considering his role as president and the fate many other presidents have suffered at midterms in their first term.
He hasn't won anything. If Republicans take the House of Representatives (and it looks like they will) then Biden's not going to have an easy two years. Impeachment, investigations and an inability to get any Democrat bills passed is Joe Biden's political future.

Quote:
For the Republicans this can only mean to make a clear cut and get rid of Trump.
I think the Democrats have the same problem only there is two of them.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-22, 04:02 PM   #4392
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
The majority is decided by one vote.

He hasn't won anything. If Republicans take the House of Representatives (and it looks like they will) then Biden's not going to have an easy two years. Impeachment, investigations and an inability to get any Democrat bills passed is Joe Biden's political future.

I think the Democrats have the same problem only there is two of them.
C'mon, you now all that better.
For Biden it makes a difference if he must seek cooperation with and must convince ten Republican congressmen - or forty.
And Biden is maybe indeed only being voted for because he is the lesser evil, but compared to the Donald and some of his extremist fanboy and fangirls he nevertehless is right this: the lesser evil. Like Trump once was voted for to prevent Hillary Clinton.

There must be reasons why both Russia and China would have preferred Trump over Biden as president, and Trumps' supported ones winning these midterms and blocking Biden.

The issues Republicans were trying to score points on obviously didn't score as well as they thought they would. Where as the Democrats' appeals to vote to prevent Trumpism abviously scored much better than anyone dared to predict, or expected.
Old 11-09-22, 04:09 PM   #4393
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

Same old, same old. In this case its a good thing.

As I always say, Revolution feels good until you try to order a pizza for delivery. The GOP has been flirting with the idea of changing the government into something more Authoritarian and, basically, Fascist because time is NOT on their side and its the only way they retain any power.
If the minority party is running the Ministry Of Truth and the Ministry Of Love, what difference does it make?

Most of the rank-and-file voters are saying "Oh no you DON'T..".
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-22, 04:10 PM   #4394
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
I say they have just withdrawn and are licking their wounds.. MAGA is not death or defeated Nor is Trump.

He may be a burden-His followers doesn't see him like that.

I say he will return with new strength and his followers MAGA will come out of the bushes.

I could of course be wrong.

Markus
I agree, Trumpismn is here to stay, even without Trump in person. DaSantis does Trumponomics - he is only clever enough to not yell it as loud out into the world as Trump would, and especially not to copy Trump's stupid disgusting behavior schemes that make him so despicable for many. The question is to what degree Trumpism will continue to dominate the Republican party - or not. But US politics will remain getting haunted by Trumpism like German politics get haunted by the AfD.
Old 11-09-22, 04:12 PM   #4395
August
Wayfaring Stranger

I love how foreigners think that our political parties are anything like what passes for them in Germany.

Be interesting to see what they define as "Trumpism". Bet they have absolutely no clue.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote