SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Comments to SUBSIM Review
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-25-12, 09:27 AM   #1
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Default Subsim unreachable from home PC

This is really weird - since last Thursday or thereabouts I cannot get to any URL that is part of subsim.com on my home computer. None of my links to the main page, the forums, the store, etc. work. Typing the URLs in my address bar doesn't work either. I keep getting redirected here:

http://www1.dlinksearch.com/main?url...00&h=782&ifc=0

I can get into the site fine from my work PC, I can get everywhere else on the web fine on my home PC, so either my home PC is being blocked from the site or else the site is being blocked somehow by that computer.

Did something change at the site that would cause problems? Nothing has changed on my computer at home unless it's something I'm unaware of, I've run scans and they didn't turn up anything, and it's definitely something specific to subsim.com and not just my computer or connection overall.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-12, 10:06 AM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

That is weird. Mine works fine, and I assume most others do too.
Old 06-25-12, 10:23 AM   #3
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Yeah, when I first noticed it I thought "oh well there's probably some maintenance going on and it's down for a bit." Checked next morning from work and had no problems. Then got back home and realized I was still getting the weird redirection to that search results page from my own PC.

I did have a slight blip with my internet connection earlier last week, not from my computer (at least I don't think so) but from my service provider. Connection was blinking in and out, the "Internet" light on the modem was dark... then after a couple minutes it resolved itself. This is not all that unusual, and it's possible that I was in here successfully after that but I'm not sure.

Don't know about the URL for that page I keep getting redirected to... "dlinksearch"? I'm pretty sure my router at home is a DLink router. Possibly the modem as well altho I don't know if that's connected at all. I certainly didn't make any changes to the router/network setup, firewall, or anything like that. I just can't imagine what's causing it.

Hmm.. searching in another window and found this:

http://superuser.com/questions/19305...-search-hijack

I guess that's someplace to start when I get home. Altho the reported problem was with invalid URLs and that's not the case with my issue.
Old 06-25-12, 10:53 AM   #4
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Try Internet Options > Security tab > Trusted Sites (the green tick) and add:

http://www.subsim.com

Failing that and provided you have a router, disconnect/disable the DNS.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-12, 11:17 AM   #5
Miggy4000
Commodore

Downloads: 37

I can confirm that I too have had difficulties trying to reach Subsim. Its working sometimes thankfully, but most of last week I couldn't reach any part of it. Does Subsim use 1&1 by any chance? I ask because Amibay (an Amiga site) had problems and was put off line entirely for a few days by updates 1&1 carried out.

Update: was trying to post this reply and still getting "Server Not Found" message
Miggy4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-12, 11:22 AM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

I doubt that it's on Subsim's end. I've had no troubles at all.
Old 06-25-12, 06:24 PM   #7
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Hi FK, It does seem like a security problem, have you tried deleting all your cookies, history and temporary internet files? possibly try another browser.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-12, 07:28 AM   #8
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

I apologize for that, Frau. We did migrate to a new server and a new datacenter last week. We also created our own namservers: ns1.subsim.com and ns2.subsim.com so maybe it has something to do with that? Have you tried clearing your cache, etc?
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-12, 08:13 AM   #9
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
I apologize for that, Frau. We did migrate to a new server and a new datacenter last week. We also created our own namservers: ns1.subsim.com and ns2.subsim.com so maybe it has something to do with that? Have you tried clearing your cache, etc?
Is it possible that's what's messing up uploading too?
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-12, 08:17 AM   #10
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

So it might actually be on Subsim's end? Silly me. I guess I've just been lucky.
Old 06-26-12, 05:31 PM   #11
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

In my case it was the issue referred to in the link I posted, I found more info elsewhere.

http://www.hacksparrow.com/dlinksear...om-search.html

Quote:
Ever since you installed that D-Link router, you seem to be getting redirected to www1.dlinksearch.com for websites that don't exists. And is that a Yahoo! search result page?
Is D-Link illegally cashing in on your typos and misfortune? The answer is - NO - you opted in for it. Yes, you did!
If you remember, while configuring your router you saw an option which said "Advanced DNS is a free security option that provides Anti-Phishing to protect your Internet connection from fraud and navigation improvements such as auto-correction of common URL typos.", you enabled it. Advanced DNS Service is exactly what makes non-existent websites and URLs to be forwarded to www1.dlinksearch.com.
Now that you know what Advanced DNS Service does, you might want to get rid of the "nuisance". To do that type 192.168.0.1 in the browser address bar and log in as admin. Then click on the Manual Internet Connection Options button. Then uncheck "Enable Advanced DNS Service". And then save settings. The router will reboot.
I followed those directions and now I'm getting in fine. Their "service" was redirecting me to a Yahoo search page instead of loading any subsim.com URL. It's only supposed to redirect if you try to go to an invalid URL but obviously that's not the case.

What's weird is I've had this router for a good long while now, probably since last fall when I set up this computer. And I haven't changed anything in the setup since I got it but the problem just started last week.

Edit: just saw Neal's post, I guess whatever changes were made caused something not to recognize subsim.com as valid on my end. Anyway I turned off the "service" and it's fine now. I don't want to get redirected to some Yahoo page even if I do stick an invalid URL in there so I don't care about their "service" which is probably just some way of them getting paid to redirect people's browsers to Yahoo instead of Google when searching for a web page it can't identify.
Old 06-27-12, 05:04 PM   #12
JustinReg
Swabbie

Downloads: 12

I thought Subsim was gone.

I haven't been able to access the site for a while now and assumed the state of sim and naval sub sim games meant SS had given up.

I can only see SS now because I'm using a anonymous browsing proxy website that I thought I'd try on the off chance.

Nice to see I can get my fix of naval news still.
JustinReg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-12, 05:36 PM   #13
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinReg View Post
I thought Subsim was gone.
Nope, Subsim has been hale and hearty and going strong all along. It's you who haven't been around in two years.
Old 06-27-12, 05:41 PM   #14
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Ping a site that your blocked from as a quick test for issues.

http://network-tools.com/

Do the whois and see the name server change date.
Old 06-27-12, 07:43 PM   #15
JustinReg
Swabbie

Downloads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Nope, Subsim has been hale and hearty and going strong all along. It's you who haven't been around in two years.
I've been 'here' for as long as I can remember knowing about the site. I'm more interested in reading so I don't post very often. Most of my time is spent on patrol, I come here to see what's new in the subsim game and modding world and read the navy news links.

The website has not worked for me for 2 weeks now.

Server not found
Firefox can't find the server at www.subsim.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post
Ping a site that your blocked from as a quick test for issues.

http://network-tools.com/

Do the whois and see the name server change date.
Updated Date: 02-may-2012

174.133.66.250 unreachable
JustinReg is offline   Reply With Quote