SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-18-24, 01:30 PM   #1
AirportsMgr
Swabbie

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0
Default Clock Bug?

I am running the standard Steam version. During my first mission to grid AN56, east of England, the clock showed darkness around 2:30 AM and light. around 10:00 AM. The clock continued to get more off as I used rime compression. I just started my second mission straight north to grid AF87 and am just off the German coast (just started mission), but the clock shows `3:04 while hovering the mouse on the clock shows text that says 14:05 local time.

I would think you would need to have a functioning clock to determine day and night cycles. Does anyone know if this is a bug with the clock or if there is a mod that would fix this problem?
AirportsMgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-24, 06:25 PM   #2
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 816

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirportsMgr View Post
I am running the standard Steam version. During my first mission to grid AN56, east of England, the clock showed darkness around 2:30 AM and light. around 10:00 AM. The clock continued to get more off as I used rime compression. I just started my second mission straight north to grid AF87 and am just off the German coast (just started mission), but the clock shows `3:04 while hovering the mouse on the clock shows text that says 14:05 local time.

I would think you would need to have a functioning clock to determine day and night cycles. Does anyone know if this is a bug with the clock or if there is a mod that would fix this problem?
Hey AirportsMgr.. Welcome to Subsim greetings
No, there is no bug..You are confusing the local time on board with GMT time
I recommend that you do not exceed a speed of 256 or 512 over a long period but 256 is better...
on this screen arrow GmT and at the bottom acceleration of time here 1x

here a target spotter observes the message with the time watch on board "local"

here target spot send from the bottom

I hope I was clear and I wish you good fun..
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-24, 07:03 PM   #3
Hooston
Soundman

Downloads: 15
Default Game time vs frame rate bug?

Some people on this forum have said that if you have a high frame rate (use ctrl-F8) the clocks and the outside time get gradually out of sync. It's a good idea to select synchronize in the game video settings menu to limit the frame rate. Never seen it myself, but then my rubbish old laptop never gets above 40fps!
Hooston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-24, 07:51 PM   #4
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston View Post
Some people on this forum have said that if you have a high frame rate (use ctrl-F8) the clocks and the outside time get gradually out of sync. It's a good idea to select synchronize in the game video settings menu to limit the frame rate. Never seen it myself, but then my rubbish old laptop never gets above 40fps!
Hey Houston Greetings..
So I recommend that you activate it Then go to your backup of the games in this case here C:\Users\Kellys\Documents\OaX\data\cfg\main
[TIME COMPRESSION]
TimeStop=0
RealTime=1
LandProximity=128
CriticalDamage=1
CrewEfficiency=1
AirEnemyDetected=1
SoundEffects=2
CharacterAnim=4
EnemyDetected=8
RadioReport=8
Particles=32
PrayState=8
HunterState=32
3DRender=32
Maximum=1024

[VIDEO]
Resolution=1920 x 1080
DynamicShadows=No
FullScreen=Yes
Synchronized=No
ParticleDensity=100.000000
TextureResolutionHigh=Yes

I don't activate it because I use the interiors... but you need a machine with 16GB Ram 2 to 4GB dedicated video Nvidia & AmD a good I5 or I7 processor if you have an old machine it's complicated and I don't recommend it not laptops..that said it also works but you will have to make fine adjustments..and without the complete interiors
Vertical synchronization avoids image tearing if you use Nvidia profile you can even block the framerate as you wish..
You also notice I limited the time to 1024 "Maximum=1024"
But in games I recommend
X256 or 512 over long distance attention during the passage to port 8 or 16 shore 32 or 64 if you proceed from this way to avoid too much desincronization on the whole of the career ...
It's all a question of adjustment and machine performance
FYI my machine is very old But equipped with a good SSD associated with an HDD with a lot of 256MB memory cache
my config
GA-P55 ud3
gtx 980 4gb
16gb ram
HyperX SSD
HD western blue
a WW2 config over 14 years old
there is also the screen which is very important...it is an Asus TuF 75htz here

Last edited by Kal_Maximus_U669; 01-18-24 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-18-24, 08:17 PM   #5
AirportsMgr
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal_Maximus_U669 View Post
Hey AirportsMgr.. Welcome to Subsim greetings
No, there is no bug..You are confusing the local time on board with GMT time
I recommend that you do not exceed a speed of 256 or 512 over a long period but 256 is better...
on this screen arrow GmT and at the bottom acceleration of time here 1x

here a target spotter observes the message with the time watch on board "local"

here target spot send from the bottom

I hope I was clear and I wish you good fun..
Thanks, but I am not confusing the clock with GMT. When the mouse pointer hovers over the clock it clearly says it is local time. Also, I am not exceeding 32 times on compression. To make maters worse, the clock is not even off a specific amount, like it would be if it was showing a different time zone. For instance, at one point it showed it got dark at 2:37 and light again at 6:02 the same day - less than 4 hours of night.

On the current mission the clock says 13:07 and the mouse pointer says 14:07 local time. I guess that the clock could be set to a different time zone than Germany, but I don't think so.

My opinion as a newbie is that the clock is getting messed up because of continually using time compression.
Old 01-19-24, 11:20 AM   #6
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Downloads: 360
Default My 2 cents

This link covers the clock time / day, night cycle issus. I don't understand why but I limit my frame rates to 60hz and have never had issues again. When I did have issues, it was very rare, but it did bother me. This is a short thread and a good read.The frame rate stuff starts around post 20 or close to it. hope this helps.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=245471
Old 01-19-24, 01:57 PM   #7
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doolar View Post
This link covers the clock time / day, night cycle issus. I don't understand why but I limit my frame rates to 60hz and have never had issues again. When I did have issues, it was very rare, but it did bother me. This is a short thread and a good read.The frame rate stuff starts around post 20 or close to it. hope this helps.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=245471
Hey Jerry Greetings...happy new year..
Thank you for having "fleshed out" the discussion...
It seems that our friend is playing Onealex mod
Yes 60 htz is very good you can even block the Framrate at 30 or 40 for the weakest machines..
Personally, I repeat, I will not cap my Framrate if you proceed as described above... there is no problem...
it seems that he does not understand the local time displayed at the bottom right and that when he passes the mouse he ends up with the GmT time...
perhaps its assembly is not correct...
or incorrect setting of the Fram of the machine..
Please note that the Onealex mod works very stable and has been doing so for a long time..
Old 01-20-24, 03:27 PM   #8
AirportsMgr
Swabbie

Quote:
Hey Jerry Greetings...happy new year..
Thank you for having "fleshed out" the discussion...
It seems that our friend is playing Onealex mod
Yes 60 htz is very good you can even block the Framrate at 30 or 40 for the weakest machines..
Personally, I repeat, I will not cap my Framrate if you proceed as described above... there is no problem...
it seems that he does not understand the local time displayed at the bottom right and that when he passes the mouse he ends up with the GmT time...
perhaps its assembly is not correct...
or incorrect setting of the Fram of the machine..
Please note that the Onealex mod works very stable and has been doing so for a long time..

Thanks again, but as a Civil Engineer who worked in many different time zones, I do understand GMT time and the relationship to local time. However, the mouse moving over the clock brings up text that says "Local Time", NOT GMT. Also, that is in the second mission that is off an exact hour even though I am just leaving Wilhemlshaven. Please explain the first mission just east of England with 4 hours of darkness and the mouse text is not a fixed number of hours off from the clock.

No, the others are correct. Something is off and I believe it is my ultra fast computer with Windows 10 (64) pro. One day the sun sets at 02:30 and then next day (300km away) it sets at 08:17 ??? Please explain that with GMT.
Old 01-20-24, 04:51 PM   #9
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirportsMgr View Post
Thanks again, but as a Civil Engineer who worked in many different time zones, I do understand GMT time and the relationship to local time. However, the mouse moving over the clock brings up text that says "Local Time", NOT GMT. Also, that is in the second mission that is off an exact hour even though I am just leaving Wilhemlshaven. Please explain the first mission just east of England with 4 hours of darkness and the mouse text is not a fixed number of hours off from the clock.

No, the others are correct. Something is off and I believe it is my ultra fast computer with Windows 10 (64) pro. One day the sun sets at 02:30 and then next day (300km away) it sets at 08:17 ??? Please explain that with GMT.
I don't want to question your personal competence.
Well indeed you must have a problem somewhere...lol...what you are telling me is not possible even on this meridian at this season.
You play Onealex mod well, don't you?
what is your mod list? you are talking to me about mission...but it is indeed the campaign mission...if I understand the 2nd one correctly, isn't it?
Old 01-20-24, 05:28 PM   #10
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Quote:
I don't want to question your personal competence.
Well indeed you must have a problem somewhere...lol...what you are telling me is not possible even on this meridian at this season.
You play Onealex mod well, don't you?
what is your mod list? you are talking to me about mission...but it is indeed the campaign mission...if I understand the 2nd one correctly, isn't it?
To complete: we are on the meridian 0 gmt Paris London...etc
here is the map of the zones
Your campaign starts at the end of August/September

I just looked up the time of this port in Germany (Wilhelmshaven, Germany)
01:02 local
Sunday January 21, 2024 (UTC+1) here we see very well +1 so you add an hour
Time (Wilhelmshaven, Germany)
so everything works...
What time is GMT +1?
It is defined as the universal reference point. This means that the local time in London, called Greenwich Mean Time (GMT), is used as a reference to calculate time around the world. For example, for the time in France, its offset from London is 1 hour, so France has a GMT+1.
All European countries in UTC+1 use the same date for daylight saving time (called Central European Summer Time)
in your campaign you are on summer schedule so everything is working now maybe a problem understanding civil engineering or maybe you don't understand the game...
the mouse moving over the clock here screen

Know that I have been using Alex's mod for a very long time... I was one of the first to support this work which is super stable.. Alex himself you will have answered but we all know here the ordeal he is going through besides I have I can't wait for him to come back and for this stupid war to stop...For my part I think that you tinkered with the mod where you used too much time compression because I have never had this kind of problem I have carried out these missions several times. campaign and I had nothing of the sort
or it comes from your Framrate being set incorrectly, nothing else...
For proof that it works perfectly I invite you to see the YT channel of my friend Tonci87
who does a remarkable job of narration and explanations if you frequent his channel you will realize that he has a great talent is that not only on Silent Hunter

This will be the end of the explanation, have fun

Last edited by Kal_Maximus_U669; 01-20-24 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-03-24, 06:13 PM   #11
AirportsMgr
Swabbie

Thanks for all the info on various time zones. However, as I have said many times, this is NOT a time zone issue. Time zones are all off an even number of hours. I am on mission 3 and have had 36 hours and 41 minutes straight of darkness in AN26 and AN16, east of England. It sucks when your clock says it is 11:16 (on 24 hour military cycle) and it is still pitch black out so you can't see ships in the scope.

And, no, I am not running any mods, as I said initially. It is a plain version from Steam.

I do not run compression higher than 128 times - ever, and most of the time I stay at 32 or 64.

I have checked the file validation on Steam and there are no issues.

I have saved games when I was unable to locate a ship after trying for 8 hours to get a shot, and restarted at an earlier time to try again. I can'[t imagine that this would cause the clock problem.

Again, when you hover the mouse over the clock, it says "Local Time". Maybe the mods some of you are using say "GMT". I wish that the issue was time zones, because then it would make sense.
Old 02-04-24, 09:26 AM   #12
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

It seems that you don't understand what you are doing...
There is no Steam version here...lol
Read the documentation and your problems will be sorted out
Old 02-04-24, 09:45 AM   #13
AirportsMgr
Swabbie

Quote:
It seems that you don't understand what you are doing...
There is no Steam version here...lol
Read the documentation and your problems will be sorted out
I never claimed AI purchased the game from SUBSIM. Do they even sell the game?

This site was recommended to me on Steam.

I have read ALL the documentation many times and there is nothing that helps with this issue. I did not have this issue when playing the game in 2005.

Why are you criticizing me for trying to get help from people who supposedly know all the details about this game? The issues I am having are real and I need helpful suggestions, not trash.
Old 02-04-24, 10:04 AM   #14
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

its been awhile since i play stock sh3 maybe 15 or more years i remember having that problem but seem like it wasn't different each day since your not running mods you can rule that out im sure you did a save exit reload which usually fixes any problems
Old 02-04-24, 11:20 AM   #15
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

There is nothing to buy.. you just have to download the mod... then unzip it... create a shortcut on your desktop eventually..that's all..!!
Really read the doc provided... read rather than want to go faster... and not understand anything it becomes tiring to go around the same subjects without stopping... here on the forum.. in the docs.... everything is clear... it's incredible you ramble like grandpas... the cause: everyone wanting to 'eat' without taking the time to understand..that's the today's internet world...everyone devours videos...faster...faster...but I don't read it's too tiring...then I ask someone like that I have nothing to do. ..lol anything.."LOL"

I add @les green01 if it is to provide this kind of response I would abstain in your place besides your posts here and elsewhere it is the same with you...help stop telling your life story..

Last edited by Kal_Maximus_U669; 02-04-24 at 11:42 AM.