Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-01-14, 06:51 AM   #1
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Default Military widows pension rethink call

Not sure what the position is in the US or elsewhere but the UK position should be looked at IMHO.

Quote:
David Cameron should make a new year's resolution to stop "condemning" military widows to a "solitary life", the Forces Pension Society has said.

The not-for-profit group said current rules meant widows generally lost their forces pension if they remarried.

Its chairman Sir Christopher Coville said the rules were an "obscenity" and an "affront to the military covenant".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25565271

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-14, 02:10 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Right up there with the 'Officers and their wives, enlistees and their ladies' and 'the baronial privilege of the first night" mentality'( IE movie: Braveheart & The Warlord)! The standard wording use was ended by a Navy admiral as the distinction was disrespectful to all married women. The baronial privilege was actually cited in the famous treasure salvage case of La Nuestra Señora de Atocha vs the State of Florida, which had tried to assert sovereignty $$$ over waters and the fabulous treasure-not in its territory! Simply..."beyond the PALE!"<old Norman expression; Florida lost! Similarily, after the Civil War, many young women would marry old Confederate veterans for their war pensions and collected well into the 2000's. One was Alberta Stewart, b.1907. After her first husband died, she married 81 year old Jasper Martin, b.1845, who had served in the 4th Alabama Infantry and collected $50.00 pension, then a considerable security to a young (1927) bride. Jasper Martin immediately passed into eternity(one child born??! fixed bayonets if ever!) and the ever-connubializing Ms Stewart married HIS grandson!! (from a previous marriage-no consanguinity here!) and stayed married for 50 years until his death in 1983. In 1996 the state of Alabama recognized Ms Stewart's claim to the first Martin pension and awarded her back-pay as well! She died, a minor re-enactment celebrity, immortalized in Confederates in the Attic in 2004 at the age of 97,(gray indeed!) and was buried with full Confederate honors as the widow of a veteran! 139 years after Appomattox! The last known confederate veteran spouse, Maudi Hopkins died in 2008. REB GALS ROCKI trust the honor of England can keep up with the LOST CAUSE!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 01-02-14 at 02:30 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-14, 02:38 PM   #3
Tchocky
Navy Seal

Downloads: 6

^what he said^
Old 01-01-14, 02:44 PM   #4
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

To answer Jimbuna currently in the US if a military widow or widower marries again they loose the benefits.Unless they marry another person with the VA benefits they get nothing and then they would receive the benefits of the new spouse which could be lesser.

I think this only applies until the widow/widower reaches a certain age 65 I think.Audie Murphy's wife is one who lost her benefits because she re-married before she reached the cut out age.Of course they know this will happen so it is a choice between possibly loosing any benefits or living a full life not to say that such a choice is fair.Personally I think its a load of crap they should get the benefits no matter what.If they happen to marry another former military they then should have to choose either to receive the benefits of the current spouse or the former.In other words only one set of VA benefits.

I have a feeling that sometime in the next few years that law will be changed to be more fair especially if more recent widow/widowers get involved and expose this to a wider audience.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-14, 02:47 PM   #5
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
To answer Jimbuna currently in the US if a military widow or widower marries again they loose the benefits.Unless they marry another person with the VA benefits they get nothing and then they would receive the benefits of the new spouse which could be lesser.

I think this only applies until the widow/widower reaches a certain age 65 I think.Audie Murphy's wife is one who lost her benefits because she re-married before you reached the cut out age.
Ah, right...thanks for the explanation.

Not sure if Audie Murphy's widow would be in need of the money mind, unless he died destitute

Old 01-01-14, 03:27 PM   #6
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Ah, right...thanks for the explanation.

Not sure if Audie Murphy's widow would be in need of the money mind, unless he died destitute

He died broke actually.I may be incorrect about her getting remarried but I recall seeing on the news talking about the benefit removal for windows choosing to remarry so she must have been using her husbands fame to draw attention to the issue I must have misunderstood that she was one effected.

Well she passed away in 2010 it seems.
http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/04...-and-advocate/
Old 01-01-14, 04:08 PM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Quote:
Of course they know this will happen so it is a choice between possibly loosing any benefits or living a full life not to say that such a choice is fair.
Of course living without benefit of matrimony and keeping the benefit in a 'secondary' relationship can be verrrry zesty and avoid the pitfalls of 'community property' by an aggrandizing swain, lothario or other opportunist of the bereaved's boudoir.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 01-01-14, 04:53 PM   #8
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
He died broke actually.I may be incorrect about her getting remarried but I recall seeing on the news talking about the benefit removal for windows choosing to remarry so she must have been using her husbands fame to draw attention to the issue I must have misunderstood that she was one effected.

Well she passed away in 2010 it seems.
http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/04...-and-advocate/
Thank you...that clarifies things a lot

Old 01-01-14, 05:22 PM   #9
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

I don't mean to sound callous here, heck my mother is collecting a military widows pension, but I'd think it's actually fair that benefits should expire if she were to remarry.

After all these benefits are given to replace the lost earning power of the deceased veteran. If the veteran were alive then any alimony they were paying would also cease upon the remarriage of his ex wife so why not survivor benefits as well?

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-14, 11:12 PM   #10
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
I don't mean to sound callous here, heck my mother is collecting a military widows pension, but I'd think it's actually fair that benefits should expire if she were to remarry.

After all these benefits are given to replace the lost earning power of the deceased veteran. If the veteran were alive then any alimony they were paying would also cease upon the remarriage of his ex wife so why not survivor benefits as well?

I think at least in the case where the spouse was killed in action they should still get something even if they remarry.

@Aktungbby right I got your first story that does not mean that everyone does that kind of thing.To much Hamms will have you paying a childwite.
Old 01-02-14, 02:28 AM   #11
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
@Aktungbby right I got your first story that does not mean that everyone does that kind of thing.To much Hamms will have you paying a childwite.
The Hamm's beer will be for her...the defibrillator will be for me!