Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 11-19-23, 10:42 PM   #1
Joe S
XO

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0
Default harware upgrade

Hello everyone,

I have been out of flight sims for about ten years and want to get back in. Will be flying in IL-2 Stormovik. My computer is about ten years old and I will be getting a new one, configured to meet the specs of IL-2 at a high level, if not the highest. Looking at the following for computer specs:I
ntel core i7 13th gen CPU ,Motherboard with Intel Z790 Chipset,48 GB of ram, 1 TB SSD, 750 watt power supply
Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti video card, Mid tower case,Windows 11

If you see anything there that will be problematic please let me know.

Originally I was determined to get into VR, but then I realized that in VR you cannot see the keyboard, so now I am looking at head and eye tracking, which seems to be a good compromise. If anyone has any comments as to the pros and cons of headtracking I would appreciate it.
My version of Il-2 is old, I assume we can simply the flight controls to minimize the need for the keyboard. What flight controllers would be recommended ? If there is a way to simplify the flight controls so that they can be done with HOTAS stick and throttle, that would allow me to get into VR. Otherwise, I would be OK with head tracking.

I am NOT a techie, and at age 70 not likely to become one, so I need a setup that will be as simple and close to plug and play as possible!

Thanks for your help, looking forward to getting back into itI

Joe S
Joe S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-23, 01:36 PM   #2
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 589
Uploads: 30

Hi Joe S are you located in the USA if so i would look at Micro Center i heard good reviews on them if you are capable of building your own rig you can logon to their site click parts picker and if not a good combination will give good alternatives or talk to the staff if you have never build a rig before they'll build it for you.
If your in the UK do you have a local family run computer shop near you tell them what your buget is and what games you want to play on your new rig and they will build you a beast machine don't go to pc world and buy one off the shelf 4070 gpu nice but the M/B is the cheapest that will run a 4070 gpu also will only have 2 ram slots and your psu is not 80 gold rated only a £35 $45 psu you dont want to sufer buyer regret do your spade work looking for the best option Sir.

https://www.microcenter.com/?lat=54....long=-1.601625
blackswan40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-23, 01:45 PM   #3
Sniper450
Officer

Downloads: 177
Uploads: 0

Newegg also has a compatibility check as well.
Sniper450 is offline   Reply With Quote