Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-25-23, 11:03 AM   #196
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Heat-related deaths in 2022 hit highest level on record in England
More than 4,500 people died due to hot temperatures, ONS data reveals, as rate increases over recent years

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...record-england

Is it alarmist global warming co2 scorched earth, making us all get deader?

Or is it due to the population of Jolly Olde England has increased from about 48.5 million in 1995 to about 56.5 million in 2021, and the average age of people has also gone up?

I’m betting it’s the rise in population and frailty of the elderly

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-23, 07:46 PM   #197
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

I think his wisdom applies to more than just climate change

Last edited by Rockstar; 10-18-23 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-19-23, 04:39 AM   #198
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

The IPCC messes it up big time.
https://www-achgut-com.translate.goo..._x_tr_pto=wapp

If you know that the IPCC has an extremely narrow mandate, which is to report exclusively antrophogenic causes for climate change and to ignore all other causal theories, and that it is further desired to report only such announcements, which exceed the previous scenarios in drama, then you know that this is not a "breakdown", but deliberate, intentional, to create panic.

Completely corrupted and not worth paying attention to. In the beginning, I was panting after them, too. But not for years now. IPCC is just another example of how unscrupulous and criminal a morally completely bankrupt political establishment has become.
Old 10-23-23, 05:52 AM   #199
Torvald Von Mansee
Sea Lord

Downloads: 3

1697824676038298.jpg
Old 10-25-23, 07:41 AM   #200
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Old 10-27-23, 07:26 AM   #201
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

The graph pretty much says it all.

Old 10-28-23, 04:05 PM   #202
Skybird
Soaring

https://www-welt-de.translate.goog/w..._x_tr_pto=wapp
Old 11-02-23, 03:41 PM   #203
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

A natural event that happens in only "decades"

Old 11-08-23, 07:20 AM   #204
Skybird
Soaring

https://www.ssb.no/en/natur-og-miljo...339/DP1007.pdf

In this paper we have reviewed data on climate and temperatures in the past and ascertained that there have been large (non-stationary) temperature fluctuations resulting from natural causes.
Subsequently, we have summarized recent work on statistical analyses on the ability of the GCMs to track historical temperature data. These studies have demonstrated that the time series of the difference between the global temperature and the corresponding hindcast from the GCMs is non-stationary. Thus, these studies raise serious doubts about whether the GCMs are able to distinguish natural variations in temperatures from variations caused by man-made emissions of CO2.
Next, we have updated the statistical time series analysis of Dagsvik et al. (2020) based on observed temperature series recorded during the last 200 years and further back in time. Despite long trends and cycles in these temperature series, we have found that the hypothesis of stationarity
was not rejected, apart from a few cases. These results are therefore consistent with the results obtained by Dagsvik et al. (2020). In other words, the results imply that the effect of man-made CO2 emissions does not appear to be sufficiently strong to cause systematic changes in the pattern of the temperature fluctuations.
In other words, our analysis indicates that with the current level of knowledge, it seems impossible to determine how much of the temperature increase is due to emissions of CO2.
Old 11-16-23, 01:33 PM   #205
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

They are finally coming around to face reality. Helluva lot better idea than cutting down trees to save the planet.

US, UK Lead Pledge to Triple Nuclear Power by 2050 at COP28

Countries to support new tech, like small modular reactors
Nuclear power has seen a resurgence in interest recently

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...op28#xj4y7vzkg

Quote:
By John Ainger, Rachel Morison, and Akshat Rathi
November 14, 2023 at 5:31 PM UTC
Updated on November 15, 2023 at 8:04 AM UTC

The US will lead a push at the COP28 climate summit to triple the amount of installed nuclear power capacity globally by 2050, marking a major turnaround for the controversial technology at the climate negotiations.

The declaration will call on the World Bank and other international financial institutions to include nuclear energy in their lending policies, according to a document seen by Bloomberg News. The US will likely be joined by the UK, France, Sweden, Finland and South Korea in the pledge to be signed Dec. 1 in Dubai, according to people familiar with the matter.

That will be followed a few days later by a nuclear industry commitment to triple generation resources from 2020 levels, said one of the people, who asked not to be named because the information isn’t public.

“Nuclear is 100% part of the solution,” John Kerry, the US special presidential envoy for climate, said at the Bloomberg New Economy Forum last week. “It’s clean energy.”

The countries recognize “the key role of nuclear energy in achieving global net-zero greenhouse gas emissions/carbon neutrality by or around mid-century,” a draft of the declaration says. “Nuclear energy is already the second-largest source of clean dispatchable baseload power, with benefits for energy security.”
The declaration is the latest sign of shifting sentiment toward nuclear power, which doesn’t produce carbon dioxide emissions, but has often been criticized over the waste it generates, the cost of building plants and potential security issues. Support has gained traction especially as clean back-up for renewable energy sources such as wind and solar. The countries will also commit to new technologies, such as small modular reactors.

The US sees such technology as possibly helping slash Africa’s emissions, while also adding more flexible generation capacity. The US is discussing nuclear cooperation agreements with Kenya and Ghana, and renewing a pact with South Africa, according to Joshua Volz, the US Department of Energy’s deputy assistant secretary for Europe, Eurasia, Africa and the Middle East.
Read More: What Is COP28 and Why Is It Important?

The United Nations’ 28th Conference of the Parties, known as COP28, will take place in the United Arab Emirates, which is the only country in the Arabian Peninsula with a nuclear power program. It’s not clear if the hosts will sign.
The two-week summit due to start on Nov. 28 will include a “global stocktake” to track how far off course the world is to keeping global warming below 1.5C and what more needs to be done to close the gap. A report from the UN Tuesday showed that emissions are set to rise 9% by 2030, compared to 2010, putting the world potentially on course for warming of 2.8C.

— With assistance from Paul Burkhardt

(Updates with details on US seeing role for small modular reactors in Africa in seventh paragraph.)

Old 11-16-23, 03:41 PM   #206
Skybird
Soaring

However, Small Nuclear Reactors (SMR) hzave jzst face d setbabck when some ociensing or permission to operate them was refuse din the US, its a news 10-14 days old or so. Also, these reactors tend to suffer from more neurton leakage than bigge rreactors, studies oif the past 3-4 years found, I recall.

I do not mean this as a death bell ringing on SNR technology, which is in use in military contexts (ships, submarines) and in Russian ice breakers since decades, but right now it probaly iitll is not the silver bullet causingn miracles and wonder. However, we are probably closer to succeed with this tech than we are with succeeding with fusion reactors, which imo still are several - many - decades away: if they will ever become economically operational (which I do not rule out, but no longer take as a certainty).
Old 11-16-23, 04:52 PM   #207
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
They are finally coming around to face reality. Helluva lot better idea than cutting down trees to save the planet.

[B] US, UK Lead Pledge to Triple Nuclear Power by 2050 at COP28
Good thing AI is coming along so there's "someone" smart enough to run a nuclear reactor in the future. I'm not one of them, I flunked out in Orlando.
Old 11-21-23, 05:48 AM   #208
Skybird
Soaring

https://www.nzz.ch/wirtschaft/solars..._x_tr_pto=wapp

If the energy transition in Switzerland is to succeed, we have to say goodbye to some clichés. Calculations by the energy company Axpo show: Wind energy and even new nuclear power plants are cheaper than photovoltaics – if all costs are taken into account.
Old 11-27-23, 03:00 AM   #209
Skybird
Soaring

If you ask the devil for a dance, don't complain if your soles catch fire.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-67508331
Old 11-27-23, 07:13 PM   #210
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Change of comment-Did not see Skybird had posted the same link above ^
I have therefore removed my comment and link.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote