SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-26-21, 10:57 AM   #151
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Max Verstappen gave Red Bull the perfect start to the first of two races on home soil by delivering a scintillating lap to fend off Mercedes duo Valtteri Bottas and Lewis Hamilton to snatch pole position for the Styrian Grand Prix - his second in a row.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-21, 07:40 PM   #152
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 0

Again, I like how the FIA is enforcing track limits this year. Sure it's hurting some drivers but too bad, stay on the track. In the eighties you rarely crossed the white line because you'd break your car or put a wheel on the grass and then break your car.

Bottas is feeling picked on with his three place grid penalty for spinning his car in the pit lane. Too bad, people can get injured and the FIA is making that message clear.

And I find it refreshing that Mercedes is looking a bit confused in a season where they have a spending cap and aren't dominating the field. It's making better races to watch.

Vettal seems much more relaxed and appers to be enjoying driving more than he has been of late with Ferrari and it's nice to see. Alonso is right there as well just having fun being there with nothing to prove.

How about George Russell just missing out on Q3? Great drive for Williams and nice to see for the venerable team.

Alpha Tauri are also doing great and Tsunoda kept his nose clean for qualifying although Bottas called him an idiot for messing up his hot lap at turn three.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-21, 05:12 AM   #153
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Still early days in the season but if Hamilton fails to win this afternoon I'll start to wonder if we will have a new champion come the end of the season.

Old 06-27-21, 07:46 AM   #154
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

Still 2/3 of the points to play for, but Red Bull have come storming back from their slow start in the first few races. Having Checo in the mix at the front makes a huge difference.

Paul Ricard was a big litmus test and when Red Bull came through looking so good there it showed they'll be in this fight all year long. If France had gone like Spain then I'd be leaning toward Mercedes over the course of the calendar.

Red Bull just look like the better package at the moment. And with teams focusing on 2022 perhaps there's less potential for bigger shifts in relative performance between teams. We'll see. But the signs all look good for Red Bull.

It's really been a great season so far and I'm hoping it's tight all the way.

Lando continues to impress and Ricciardo a mess. If Ricciardo was anywhere near Lando right now they'd be well clear of Fez. And Ferrari are all at sea at times and it's a dramatic vein in the season's narrative, whether they'll be on pole or retreating through the field from week to week.

Vettel's made me eat my words, and Budda has it right. He seemed so disinterested in his last year with Fez, he was a mess, lacked focus and made a lot of unforced errors. But he's really been good over the last few races and looks rejuvenated. I think he has also elevated the entire team with his approach to practice, debriefs and car setup. I was critical of Aston Martin making this move and giving Perez the boot. But it's paid off I think for all concerned. Stroll will benefit too with an on-song world champion to learn from.

I'm pulling for Max today of course, but for me the thing I am hoping to see is Russell scoring. No driver deserves it more at this point, he's so good on Saturdays, and deserves to have that pay. And he still gets free tyre choice even bumped to tenth, right? He's never been in a better position (aside from Sakir at the end of last year of course). Williams will be interesting to watch. You can feel they are about to return to the battle. The new owners seem committed and capable of making that happen. There's a different vibe about them at the moment.

Red Bull Ring is a fantastic track, and this should be a cracking race.

Last edited by Threadfin; 06-27-21 at 07:55 AM.
Threadfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-21, 12:08 PM   #155
Buddahaid

I think the jury is out and Red Bull has the better car this year as well as a great driver which has been the Mercedes win formula for years. Lewis is certainly getting his wish welcoming a tighter championship. I believe this is the longest gap between P1 and P2 at this track ever, or at least in it's current form and the first time since 2014 that Mercedes has failed to win four races in a row.

No real strategy mistakes and Mercedes did opt for the fastest lap at the end this time. I never understood why they didn't do that with Bottas in France.

Norris is showing very strong again while Russell's luck fizzles away.

No safety cars again!

David Bowie
Old 06-27-21, 01:36 PM   #156
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

As I suspected/feared.

Max Verstappen claimed a second win in seven days with victory at the Styrian Grand Prix, enjoying a dominant lights-to-flag performance at the Red Bull Ring over the Mercedes of title rival Lewis Hamilton, as Valtteri Bottas claimed third ahead of Sergio Perez.

Following on from his win in the French Grand Prix, Verstappen led away from pole position at a dry Red Bull Ring, leading every lap of the race to claim his 14th career win, and his third at his team’s Red Bull Ring home track.

The Dutchman duly stretched his lead over Hamilton to 18 points in the drivers’ standings, after the Mercedes driver was unable to offer any serious answer to Verstappen’s pace on race day, although he was at least able to limit the damage after taking the bonus point for fastest lap thanks to a late pit stop.

Having started P5 after his grid drop for spinning in the pit lane on Friday, Bottas was able to claim third, holding off a late charge by the second Red Bull of Perez for the Finn’s first podium since the Spanish Grand Prix.

Old 06-28-21, 07:34 AM   #157
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Not exactly the cracking race I anticipated. Max had too much pace for the field. He lapped everyone aside from Perez, Bottas and Hamilton. Now normally I'd say you can't take too much from one race, that the next track presents different challenges and everyone is starting over in a sense. But of course we're right back at it next round at the A1 Ring next weekend. That shades well for Red Bull.

I expected Mercedes to have better race pace, but Max was already out of DRS range within a lap or two and it was hardly in doubt from there. His radio transmissions give me ulcers because he sounds so distraught on the radio and I expect disaster is imminent since I don't understand half of what he saying.

Perez needed another lap or two but that's how it goes. His first stop took too long and with Bottas running a good race it was just a bridge too far wasn't it? Maybe if they had brought him in a lap or two sooner it would have been enough, but fourth is a good result and ensured Red Bull extended their lead, if only by three points.

Lando solid again. It was interesting to see how uninterested he was in defending against the Red Bulls and Mercs. But McLaren aren't in a fight with those guys so in a strategic sense it seems smart. But I'd still rather see everyone fighting for position. Ricciardo again disappoints, but I guess his ICE had issues and cost him track position he was unable to recover.

Fez again rip up the form books. What to make of this team? On the weekends they have great single-lap pace their race pace is short. When they have good race pace they struggle to put it up on the grid. After France it seemed they were a mess, but yesterday they looked great, especially Leclerc who must be kicking himself for running up the back of Gasly. It seems that McLaren should be well clear by now but it's still very tight between these teams.

Gutted for Russell and Gasly. Both deserved better and had showed impressive speed throughout the weekend but it wasn't to be. Alpha Tauri have quietly put together an impressive package, with some very fast flashes of pace, but are struggling to get the results their car seems to warrant. Tsunoda has looked better, more consistent, and Gasly just has had some rotten luck.

Aston Martin fell out of it a bit after their encouraging run of results. Kimi was 11th once again, it's amazing.

Mercedes have a challenge on their hands to close the gap ahead of the Austrian Grand Prix, but Red Bull look to be favorites based on what we saw yesterday.
Old 07-03-21, 09:35 AM   #158
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

That was a great qualifying.

Max on pole with a fantastic lap and on mediums to start the race. Softer compounds this weekend but I think they'll still be able to get a one-stopper on medium-hard, but we'll see which direction they choose to go.

Perez! Finally, a good Q3. Wasn't looking like it then he nailed one at the death. Lando had a blistering lap, nearly on pole, but if not for that it's a Red Bull one-two. Well done to Lando, who gets better every race. McLaren nearly snagging pole on pace merit is amazing. Ricciardo down in 13th by contrast. It's now a serious problem for McLaren to have him fail to shine.

I mentioned Alpha Tauri last week and how they have quietly put together a great package and man did it show today. Sixth and seventh is a cracking result for them. I expect them to be right in it.

Mercedes have to be scratching their heads. They thought (I suspect) they had it sorted after FP2, and then go fourth/fifth in Q3. While that's not bad, they had to be expecting better. Now both will need to get past Sergio and Lando to challenge Max and that will be a tall order with the pace those two are showing at the moment. It's a grid that looks to be ready for a spark. I expect a very contentious opening few laps, elbows out as the Mercs look to get up front. Perez will have his hands full and needs a perfect start. If he can do that he'll protect Max and give himself a great shot at the rostrum and maybe the win even.

George Russell ninth on merit. Just amazing in that Williams and I said there's a different vibe around them and this result has to have them flying high. Is that his first Q3 appearance in a Williams? I think it is. Failure to score now would be gutting.

Fez once again boggle the mind. There's no predicting where they'll be, although if form holds I expect their race pace will be strong, since their one-lap pace wasn't. But failing to get either car in to Q3 has to be demoralizing after their strong showing in last week's race.

And well done to Aston martin, with both cars in Q3 and looking good to score them both.

Looking forward to tomorrow and hopefully another good drive from Max and from Checo. Would love to see the one-two their performances and pace have hinted is coming soon. It won't be easy, and with the weather and softer compounds it could get shaken up. I think it will be very important to preserve tyres and manage degradation. The cars that do that best and maybe can make this a one-stop are going to have the upper hand.

Last edited by Threadfin; 07-03-21 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-03-21, 10:24 AM   #159
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

If Hamilton doesn't beat the Red Bull tomorrow (which it is beginning to look like) then the seeds of defeat in the championship outcome will have been planted.

It is being rumoured that Mercedes are already preparing a new car for next season having taken the current one as far as they believe they can.

Old 07-03-21, 11:39 AM   #160
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Well, that's what Toto would have us believe, but someone from the team has said there are indeed improvements for the 2021 car in the pipeline and they won't go until the end of the year without putting new parts on. Development will be minimal by necessity (new 2022 regs and spending cap this season) but I doubt they'll not make any changes this season.

Toto likes to throw a little light around and shift the gaze. I'd be quite surprised if they did not make changes, but it is possible I suppose. Red Bull certainly are.

But it's a balancing act with the cap. Every dime spent now eats in to the 2022 development. Red Bull are more willing to go this route since they have a title within view, and given the gap to their last one, are willing to roll the dice a bit.
Old 07-03-21, 12:09 PM   #161
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Norris' scintillating lap puts a McLaren on the front row for the first time since 2012 when it was Hamilton and Button!

That was indeed Russell's first Q3 for WIlliams. And it is Williams' best start since 2017 in Brazil. And he progressed to Q3 on mediums.

Fourth is Hamilton’s lowest result in Q3 at the Red Bull Ring since 2014, and it is the first time Mercedes missed out on a top three spot with either car on a dry track since the 2017 Singapore Grand Prix.

It's possible that Vettel gets a grid penalty, I don't know if there's an investigation. But if you saw him binding up Alonso it seems certain, as it was way worse than what Tsunoda was tagged for last week.

Last edited by Threadfin; 07-03-21 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-03-21, 07:27 PM   #162
Buddahaid

Vettel gets a three place grid penalty for his trouble and Norris on the front row! I wonder how long before Hamilton passes him?

David Bowie
Old 07-04-21, 07:05 AM   #163
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

It doesn't look too promising for Mercedes after this statement by Hamilton.

In fact I'm not all that sure I'll bother watching it noe....perhaps the highlights later.

Quote:
Hamilton said: "I don't have an answer. We were just not any quicker. We have put in the time and worked hard to improve the car. I don't know if they have improved their car again this weekend but we haven't and we just have to keep working.

"We definitely can't take it to the Red Bulls [in the race]. They are just too fast. My race is with the two guys ahead of me, trying to get past them."

Old 07-04-21, 11:03 AM   #164
Buddahaid

The penalty race of the year. I was pissed Norris was penalized for the turn four incident with Perez but then Perez doubled down on it with LeClerc. I'm remembering back to this race in 2019 when Verstappen forced LeClerc off the track in turn three to take the lead without penalty.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/v...939848001.html

Tsunoda penalized twice for crossing the pit lane line and Gasly for speeding in the pit lane.

Great race between Russel and Alonso showing Perez how it's done now. Too bad Russel just missed the points.

Ocon needs to know when to back out it seems.

Bottas gets some over Hamilton at last as Mercedes couldn't find the race pace to win again. I do expect Silverstone to be a win for Mercedes.

David Bowie
Old 07-04-21, 12:56 PM   #165
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Red Bull's Max Verstappen dominated at his team's own track for the second time in a week to take control of the drivers' championship.

Verstappen's victory in the Austrian Grand Prix was his fourth in five races and moves him into a 32-point lead over title rival Lewis Hamilton.

The Mercedes driver had a troubled race and finished fourth behind team-mate Valtteri Bottas and McLaren's Lando Norris.

And Verstappen's domination raises questions as to the state of Hamilton's hopes of an eighth title this year.

Further down the field, George Russell agonisingly missed out on scoring a point for Williams for the first time when he was passed for 10th place by Alpine's Fernando Alonso with three laps to go after holding the two-time champion at bay for 10 laps.

And there was a bizarre incident on the final lap when Kimi Raikkonen appeared to make a misjudgement and drove his Alfa Romeo into Sebastian Vettel's Aston Martin as they were fighting with Russell, taking both cars out.