SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-24-13, 08:39 PM   #211
yubba
Admiral

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 2

Well it sure isn't the hurricane in il-2 in hyperlobby I get my butt handed to me every time I go up in it.
yubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-13, 08:56 PM   #212
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by yubba View Post
Well it sure isn't the hurricane in il-2 in hyperlobby I get my butt handed to me every time I go up in it.
A Hurricane is only as good as it's pilot...

I think the Hurricane is just fine but I'll take a Bf-109G or K over it any day.

Or a P-40...or a Spitfire....or an F4F, F6F, F4U, P-51, etc...

It isn't my favorite plane...but if I had to use it i'd be okay with it.
Old 02-24-13, 09:01 PM   #213
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

IL-2 Sturmovick though a very fun game/sim does accurately simulate how many of the aircraft it depicts actually flew making it a very poor way to judge what aircraft was better than the other.

For starters the way they have the BF109s set up is wrong they did have good acceleration but nothing near what they have in IL-2.IL-2 makes the Wildcat seem half way decent when it fact it was no match for any Japanese aircraft it faced.What made the Wildcat good was purely its durability and the tactical skill that its pilots employed.I could go on and on but I wont.The in game AI can do things that are not even possible to do if you are flying the same plane in the sim and things that would be impossible in a real aircraft.

To base judgement on real aircraft based on how they fly in any sim especially IL-2 sounds very amateur to put it nicely.Thanks to Il2 there are tons of people who do not know hat they are talking about that think that the BF109 was the best aircraft in WWII.If IL-2 where truly accurate you would die half the time just taking of and landing in BF109 almost as many where lost in landing and take off accidents as where to enemy action.Most other famous fighters had nasty vices the P-51 for example could bite you if you banked it certain ways it had to do with the tail surfaces and they never solved the problem you just had to avoid certain maneuvers.

The truth is that the BF109 was a fairly good design but it was hard for a pilot to get the best from it which is always a weakness the Spitfire on the other hand even a relatively inexperienced pilot could get the max performance out of a Spitfire safely and that goes a log way.I saw a TV show once where a former German ace sat in a Spitfire he was very impressed and wished that he had a Spitfire over a BF109 based on what he saw of them in combat and on what he felt from the seat.

If I was going to pick one best air to air combat aircraft from WWII it would be the Spitfire easily because it was a very easy aircraft to fly(in real life) and it took little skill for a lay pilot to fly one effectively that factor is very important because the easier it is for a pilot to fly his mount the more effective he will be in combat.

Last edited by Stealhead; 02-24-13 at 09:16 PM.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-13, 09:16 PM   #214
mako88sb
XO

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
So you know MH.... there will be one flying one of these days out of Reading, PA by the Mid Atlanctic Air Museum. This one was brought back from Indonesia back in 1990 off of Mt. Cyclopes. Today she sitting on her landing gear. Still work to be done. And once finished she'll be the only flying P-61 in the world. I've even had hands on working on a bit of the restoration.

Check it out here.... www.MAAM.org This is also the home of the World War II Weekend, held the first weekend of June every year. This year will be the 23rd year. Direct link to their P-61.... http://www.maam.org/p61.html

My favorite WWII aircraft is the B-17, seeing my uncle was a togglier in Mission Belle back in 1941.. a B-17F.
I have a aviation magazine about the famous P-61, "The Lady in the Dark" but dang if I can find it. I think the same magazine had an article about how a P-61 pilot and a P-47(I think?) where haggling at the bar about their respective fighters attributes. At some point, the other pilot made a snide remark about the P-61 was more like a medium bomber so that ended up causing a challenge to see who could out dogfight the other. I think they had 3 or 4 categories. One was shortest take-off, another was actual dog-fighting but I can't remember the others. Anyway, the two categories I do remember, the P-61 won and I'm pretty sure the guy won whatever other contest that was in play. Just wondering if you recall this incident at all? A lot of it could of just been the P-61 pilot being a lot more experienced but still quite the feat if it's true.

Last edited by mako88sb; 02-24-13 at 10:45 PM.
mako88sb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-13, 09:25 PM   #215
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
But a redesignation doesn't change the nature of the beast. That's like saying the Huff-Daland XB-1 of 1927 and the Rockwell B-1 of 1974 are the same aircraft.
Well, the pictures look kinda the same, if I don't look too closely, or I turn my monitor off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
That is why most people choose to use A-26 or A/B-26 when referring to the Invader and B-26 when referring to the Marauder.Steve is correct the B-26 Marauder and the A-26 Invader are completely different aircraft.
I know they're different aircraft. The reuse of the "B-26" name is somewhat confusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Don't read too much into the similar designations. The military recycles them all the time. After all what does a Garand rifle and an Abrams tank have in common other than they are both "M1's"?
At least there, one is a tank, and one is a rifle, so it's pretty easy to tell from context (likewise with the B-1s pictured). Last year, my dad and I were watching some of the planes from the airshow flying by, and there was a twin engine, single tail medium bomber. We decided that there was a 2/3 chance it was a B-26, because it was either an A-20, A-26, or B-26. I'm not sure if any of those are still flying, but I have trouble telling them apart at a distance.
Old 02-24-13, 09:27 PM   #216
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako88sb View Post
I have a aviation magazine about the famous P-61, "The Lady in the Dark" but dang if I can find it. I think the same magazine had an article about how a P-61 pilot and a P-47(I think?) where haggling at the bar about their respective fighters attributes. At some point, the other pilot made a snide remark about the P-61 was more like a medium bomber so that ended up causing a challenge to see who could out dogfight the other. I think they had 3 or 4 categories. One was shortest take-off, another was actual dog-fighting but I can't remember the others. Anyway, the two categories I do remember, the P-61 won and I'm pretty sure the guy won whatever other contest in that was in play. Just wondering if you recall this incident at all? A lot of it could of just been the P-61 pilot being a lot more experienced but still quite the feat if it's true.

Back when I was in middle and high school I was really into building models mostly 1:48 and 1:72 scale WWII aircraft.I used to save up my money and go to the hobby shop and sit sometimes for over an hour deciding what plane to choose.

One time they had a P-61 kit that I had not noticed before and I ended up picking that one it was one of my favorite builds mostly because it was different.I also read up on the P-61 and found that it was pretty impressive for its size.P-61 did shoot down many single engine fighters a common prey for the Black Widow in Europe where the specialized FW190A/F8's used to attack airfields and other military targets in the early evening and pre dawn hours.
Old 02-24-13, 09:33 PM   #217
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post

I know they're different aircraft. The reuse of the "B-26" name is somewhat confusing.

Which is why I explained it in two different posts if you understand the reasoning it is not confusing.And as August military nomenclature can be confusing for example M1 can be four different things August only mentioned two of them.the other two are M1 Carbine and M1 Thompson.
If you dont know the context of the conversation when I say M60 am I talking about the machine gun or the tank?

It was not you who did not know that the B-26 and A-26 where two different aircraft it was another poster mako88sb.He thanked Steve for explaining that there are two aircraft using "B-26" don't take offense where none was intended.
Old 02-24-13, 10:54 PM   #218
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
For starters the way they have the BF109s set up is wrong they did have good acceleration but nothing near what they have in IL-2.
I have to disagree with you on some of these points. The Bf-109 (at least the late models) had one of the best climb rates and acceleration of the period. The early models not so much.

Quote:
The truth is that the BF109 was a fairly good design but it was hard for a pilot to get the best from it which is always a weakness the Spitfire on the other hand even a relatively inexperienced pilot could get the max performance out of a Spitfire safely and that goes a log way.
Quote:
If I was going to pick one best air to air combat aircraft from WWII it would be the Spitfire easily because it was a very easy aircraft to fly(in real life) and it took little skill for a lay pilot to fly one effectively that factor is very important because the easier it is for a pilot to fly his mount the more effective he will be in combat.
Quite the opposite. The Spitfire could out-turn a 109, but had the problem of being very touchy while doing so. The semi-elliptical wing had a nasty tendency to stall, and the plane had the very bad characteristic of instantly going into an inverted flat spin. It was said that the expected pullout distance of that spin was about 5000 feet, so if it happened at low altitudes you could have serious problems. The Bf-109, on the other hand, was fairly gentle in a stall (though not so much as the FW-190, which was said to be practically unspinnable), and would fall off to one side in a gentle spiral when the pilot screwed up. Couple that with negative-G capability which no Spitfire had until the Mark IX, and while the Spit had superior maneuverabilty it took a seasoned pilot to get the best out of it.

Quote:
I saw a TV show once where a former German ace sat in a Spitfire he was very impressed and wished that he had a Spitfire over a BF109 based on what he saw of them in combat and on what he felt from the seat.
And when Hermann Goering asked Adolph Galland if there was anything he could get him to aid in the Battle Of Britain, Galland famously replied "A squadron of Spitfires." And when a former German ace flew a P-47 for the first time, he said the cockpit was so roomy he felt like he could run around inside dodging bullets.

In my opinion there was no "best" fighter in WW2, at least among the group of very best. The Spitfire was tight-turning, the Bf-109 was fast climbing and fast-rolling, the Mustang had extremely long range, the P-47 was amazingly rugged, and they all did their respective jobs superlatively. I would love to be able to fly any of them. And I didn't even mention the Japanese or the US Navy fighters. Silly me.
Old 02-24-13, 11:14 PM   #219
mako88sb
XO

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Back when I was in middle and high school I was really into building models mostly 1:48 and 1:72 scale WWII aircraft.I used to save up my money and go to the hobby shop and sit sometimes for over an hour deciding what plane to choose.

One time they had a P-61 kit that I had not noticed before and I ended up picking that one it was one of my favorite builds mostly because it was different.I also read up on the P-61 and found that it was pretty impressive for its size.P-61 did shoot down many single engine fighters a common prey for the Black Widow in Europe where the specialized FW190A/F8's used to attack airfields and other military targets in the early evening and pre dawn hours.

Yeah, I don't think I knew anything about the P-61 until I seen the old 1/48 scale Monogram kit with the Shepard Paine diorama insert. I wonder how many aircraft & armor kits he helped sell for them? Pretty impressive work considering there was hardly any aftermarket stuff available back then.

mako88sb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-13, 11:23 PM   #220
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Quote:
I have to disagree with you on some of these points. The Bf-109 (at least the late models) had one of the best climb rates and acceleration of the period. The early models not so much.

Quite the opposite. The Spitfire could out-turn a 109, but had the problem of being very touchy while doing so. The semi-elliptical wing had a nasty tendency to stall, and the plane had the very bad characteristic of instantly going into an inverted flat spin. It was said that the expected pullout distance of that spin was about 5000 feet, so if it happened at low altitudes you could have serious problems. The Bf-109, on the other hand, was fairly gentle in a stall (though not so much as the FW-190, which was said to be practically unspinnable), and would fall off to one side in a gentle spiral when the pilot screwed up. Couple that with negative-G capability which no Spitfire had until the Mark IX, and while the Spit had superior maneuverabilty it took a seasoned pilot to get the best out of it.

And when Hermann Goering asked Adolph Galland if there was anything he could get him to aid in the Battle Of Britain, Galland famously replied "A squadron of Spitfires." And when a former German ace flew a P-47 for the first time, he said the cockpit was so roomy he felt like he could run around inside dodging bullets.

In my opinion there was no "best" fighter in WW2, at least among the group of very best. The Spitfire was tight-turning, the Bf-109 was fast climbing and fast-rolling, the Mustang had extremely long range, the P-47 was amazingly rugged, and they all did their respective jobs superlatively. I would love to be able to fly any of them. And I didn't even mention the Japanese or the US Navy fighters. Silly me.
I was referring to how the BF109s behave in IL-2 it is a bit over done and gives a false impression.I cant find the links right now but I have read and heard in more than one place German BF109 pilots saying the 109 was not easy for an inexperienced pilot to get the best out.What you say about the Spitfire is true i suppose though pilots and historians have argued for years which was the better turner Spit or 109 the truth is that neither was substantially better than the the other.Now the 190 could easily out turn a Spitfire any day of the week.Of course turning is not the only thing in a dog fight a skilled pilot can counter a turner.

The most important factor I argue is pilot and overall unit skill an air force that has generally better pilots will always have an advantage so long as they can maintain it something that both Germany and Japan failed to do while the Allies managed to have fairly skilled pilot corps that where consistent throughout most of the war. As the war progressed Japanese and German pilots on average become of sub par quality and the survivors even with all their skill could not make up the difference.At the start of hostilities Germany and Japan had very skilled pilots which is the primary reason that in the first year or so of the war they where dominating air combat.Of you still had insanely good pilots a late war Japanese ace managed to shot down 5 F6F Hellcats in a single engagement 1945 most likely this was purely do to one pilot having vastly superior skills of course it had no effect on the outcome of the war for Japan.Another example of pure skill is Richard Bong he managed to defeat an experienced pilot flying a P-38 while himself flying a T-6 trainer this was while Bong was still in advanced training.

The Axis powers also rarely rotated pilots so they fought on until they died or the war was over.The Allies on the other hand understood the value of having combat experienced pilots train new pilots and many pilots rotated back to the states and passed their knowledge on to new pilots.
Old 02-24-13, 11:54 PM   #221
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
I was referring to how the BF109s behave in IL-2 it is a bit over done and gives a false impression.
Sorry, misunderstood.

Quote:
Now the 190 could easily out turn a Spitfire any day of the week.
There are several problems when discussing "maneuverability". First is actual turn rate. In fact there was no German fighter which could out-turn any British fighter, and the FW-190 was one of the most "average" turning aircraft of the war. The second factor was how fast the plane could get into the turn, meaning how fast it could roll from 0 to 90 degrees. The FW-190 was tested as the fastest rolling aircraft of the war, without exception. This meant that if a FW and Spitfire were both rolled fully to the right, the 190 could flick over and be turning the other way before the Spit could even get his wings level. The Bf-109 was slower than the FW-190, but still faster-rolling than the Spitfire. This is what led to the development of the "clipped-wing" Spit. Another major factor was the negative-G capability. Not only could any German fighter push the nose over directly into a dive, leaving the early British fighters wasting a precious second or two rolling over before they could dive, but they could also push the nose forward while in a full turn, turning mildly in the other direction, which the Spits and Hurris could not. This gave the Germans a bit of a surprise in Africa where the Brits were using P-40s, which at first they didn't know could follow them through those negative-G turns.

Quote:
The Axis powers also rarely rotated pilots so they fought on until they died or the war was over.The Allies on the other hand understood the value of having combat experienced pilots train new pilots and many pilots rotated back to the states and passed their knowledge on to new pilots.
This is true, but the Germans and Japanese really had no choice. I have stated many times my belief that America's single main contribution to the war was the fact that we were thousands of miles from the nearest front. Second was our huge population base, which coupled with the first meant that we could afford to do all that. Third was the manufacturing capability which stemmed from the first two. We could afford to out-build, out-recruit and out-train pretty much anybody. Having the war be far away is a good thing.
Old 02-25-13, 12:40 AM   #222
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Quote:
Sorry, misunderstood.

There are several problems when discussing "maneuverability". First is actual turn rate. In fact there was no German fighter which could out-turn any British fighter, and the FW-190 was one of the most "average" turning aircraft of the war. The second factor was how fast the plane could get into the turn, meaning how fast it could roll from 0 to 90 degrees. The FW-190 was tested as the fastest rolling aircraft of the war, without exception. This meant that if a FW and Spitfire were both rolled fully to the right, the 190 could flick over and be turning the other way before the Spit could even get his wings level. The Bf-109 was slower than the FW-190, but still faster-rolling than the Spitfire. This is what led to the development of the "clipped-wing" Spit. Another major factor was the negative-G capability. Not only could any German fighter push the nose over directly into a dive, leaving the early British fighters wasting a precious second or two rolling over before they could dive, but they could also push the nose forward while in a full turn, turning mildly in the other direction, which the Spits and Hurris could not. This gave the Germans a bit of a surprise in Africa where the Brits were using P-40s, which at first they didn't know could follow them through those negative-G turns.

This is true, but the Germans and Japanese really had no choice. I have stated many times my belief that America's single main contribution to the war was the fact that we were thousands of miles from the nearest front. Second was our huge population base, which coupled with the first meant that we could afford to do all that. Third was the manufacturing capability which stemmed from the first two. We could afford to out-build, out-recruit and out-train pretty much anybody. Having the war be far away is a good thing.
I meant sustained turn not turning radius two different flight characteristics I should have clarified my meaning.I know for a fact that RAF pilots where strongly advised never turn get it a sustained turning match with a 190 because the 190 would win.Now one or two quick turns yes the Spit was better but if a Spit got lured into a sustained turn with 190 he was asking for trouble indeed.Of course you statement does display how the key to air combat is understanding your aircraft and its strengths and weakness in comparison to the opposing one.Or you could choose to me like Eric Hartman and only seek out the enemy aircraft not paying attention and get close to him and blow him way before he can even evade you in the first place.The highest scoring ace in history though that "dog fighting" was a "useless" ballet and I agree get the easy kill.

I would say that your belief about the primary advantage that the US had during WWII is pretty much fact.Now the Axis could have countered this early in the war which the Japanese in particular set out to do of course they failed to do maintain the advantage that they initially gained now had the Axis been able to mount some sort a sizable dual front action against the US that would have been interesting.Just as the capture of Moscow in 1941 by the Germans most likely would have dealt a crushing blow to the USSR.Of the topic of strategy during WWII is another can of worms.

EDIT: Well a quick look int the back of a book about late mark Spitfires(VII-IX) has an index that includes a 1942 evaluation of a IX Spit vs. a captured FW190A.It goes into much detail but basically says that IX Spit can out turn a 190 and that climb is about equal though at higher levels the Spit is superior under all conditions the 190 had better acceleration.It does state that it was felt that the 190 was able to well evade a Spit when the Spit tried to get onto the 190's tail in this case the 190 could easily flick roll and evade especially in a negative G turn where the Spit could not follow.This disproves the data i read on the net claiming the 190 had better sustained turn abilities this can not be possible when the Spit had better turning and better climbing rates.

The XIV Spit was found to superior to a FW190A is most all respects except rolling this test was done in 1944 a few months before the 190D9 came into service the RAF took an educated guess on its performance they thought it was going to have a DB603(the Dora actually had a more powerful Jumo213A).I can post both evaluations in their entirety if anyone is interested.

Last edited by Stealhead; 02-25-13 at 01:40 AM.
Old 02-25-13, 03:24 AM   #223
BossMark
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 278

Junkers Ju 88

Old 02-25-13, 03:28 AM   #224
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

^^^^

What's with the rough 'F' coding?
Old 02-25-13, 05:42 AM   #225
MH
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 248

Yes the merit of fw190 was its toll rate and heavy armament.
While reasonable turning ability was important in some situation most kills had been made on opportunity targets or zoom fights with unsuspecting enemy.
It seldom came to duels most victims did not see what hit them.
MH is offline   Reply With Quote