Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-19-23, 01:40 PM   #1
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post

Somebody should really introduce ammo with silver bullets instead of lead. You could then sell all your silver, and just keep ammo cutting your storage weight significantly.

Melt down granny’s silver set then cast your own silver boolits and load the ammo yourself. It’s easy to do, no rocket science required. You can pick-up a press, reloading dies, and boolit mold for under 250 dollars. If you shoot a lot it pays for itself fairly quick using Starline brass you could reuse their straight case brass easily 3-5 times before worrying about the case cracking (depends on powder charge and annealing process). Expendables like powder, cartridge cases, primers the price will go up a little more.

On a more serious note unless you’re hunting werewolves silver may not be the best metal to shoot through the barrel anyway. Best brinell hardness of the boolit depends on the powder charge and muzzle velocities achieved with the gun you’re shooting. Too soft or hard and the barrel might lead up.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 11-19-23 at 01:52 PM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-24, 10:22 PM   #2
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post

On a more serious note unless you’re hunting werewolves silver may not be the best metal to shoot through the barrel anyway. Best brinell hardness of the boolit depends on the powder charge and muzzle velocities achieved with the gun you’re shooting. Too soft or hard and the barrel might lead up.
I'd probably only use silver in the SHTF ammo, not the practice ammo.

On a different note, I wonder what everyone thinks of this indoor/outdoor heater & cook stove? Might be living in a van during some nasty weather while following those blades around. https://www.mypatriotsupply.com/prod...t-cooking-fuel
Old 02-12-24, 02:52 AM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Would prefer my rocket stove, no dependency on those burning paste cartridges. A rocket stove burns just any dry biomass without setting the place ablaze. Not for indoor use though.
Old 02-21-24, 12:51 AM   #4
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Would prefer my rocket stove, no dependency on those burning paste cartridges. A rocket stove burns just any dry biomass without setting the place ablaze. Not for indoor use though.
I intend to make a rocket stove when I'm living near my buddy who has some welding skills.

For people in the USA with Ollie's Outlets in their state, I just picked up a large 50 ounce can of Campbell's Chili con Carne for $2.49 that has a March 2025 date. It has a huge number of 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch chunks of meat in it. Probably half the can is meat, and it's listed as the first ingredient on the can. I'm going to stock up on a few of these as they'd be good for on the road in remote locations, and to add to the short duration prepper pantry.
Old 02-21-24, 01:53 AM   #5
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

If they can smell you in the next county, just how "Prepper" is it?
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-24, 03:32 AM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
I intend to make a rocket stove when I'm living near my buddy who has some welding skills.

For people in the USA with Ollie's Outlets in their state, I just picked up a large 50 ounce can of Campbell's Chili con Carne for $2.49 that has a March 2025 date. It has a huge number of 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch chunks of meat in it. Probably half the can is meat, and it's listed as the first ingredient on the can. I'm going to stock up on a few of these as they'd be good for on the road in remote locations, and to add to the short duration prepper pantry.
If tthey make the tin of good quality, it should last many years longer than the printed date. If it does not, then better avoid eating it even within the printed date.
Old 02-21-24, 05:02 AM   #7
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

Something I've been working with:

These packs are pretty cheap and are room temperature shelf stable for at least a year.
The package says "for the microwave" but you can also pan fry it after adding 2 TBSPs of water. You can find this stuff in most North American grocery stores. There are many different flavors (wild, oriental, Spanish, etc.) so no worries about getting bored. Also, a neat "filler" for stuff like canned or dehydrated meals or soups.

The package is a thick, strong plastic with a gusseted bottom, so you can take it outdoors.

I'd like to report on how they hold up over the long term, but they don't stay on my shelf too long.

So, what's the difference between this and good old dry rice? Water and time. You just need to heat it up and, at most, add a little water.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-24, 05:35 AM   #8
Skybird
Soaring

Now being carnivore, prepping in a meat-eaters way is difficult - and not the focus of emergency prepping anyway. Therefore I still stockpile plenty of millet, my secret tip for prepping. Plus plenty of bagged chicken-based meals in outdoor capable plastic bags like that Uncle Bens rice - which actually taste delicously good. And have a printed shelf life of ten years. From the Czech Republic.

I could slam the hatch and go on a dive and not surface again for 2-3 months, without early warning or preparation. Water, food, energy, warmth, hygiene - its all there. Would need to stretch myself a bit, but in case of emergency I could last that long.

Interesting it becomes after that. But I own no land, no farming ground or anything like that, so self-farming and such is illusory.

Also, violence will take over after already a couple of days, if the briown stuff hits the fan. Lets be realistic, I live not in isolated wilderness but an urban, densely populated area full of hungry, big apes and I am very limited in my long distance mobility (practically non-existent), so its absolutely uncertain I would survive my self-defence long enough to eat through all those reserves myself. Because, no doubt on that, the biggest issue in such a scenario would be my loving contemporaries.

Tags
doomsday, prepper, preppers, survival