SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-06-23, 06:31 PM   #16
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 816
Uploads: 0

Yes Fitz I am of this opinion too...
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-23, 07:22 AM   #17
ElCid97
Gunner

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 5

Good Morning!

Just a quick update before going to work. Figured I'd post the "changelog" I've been keeping. Just need to see about some doubled-up ships, but pretty much done with the "hard" part now.

Sorry about the formatting below, but for some reason the board's message box here keeps "stripping" the spaces and tabs from the front of the individual lines even though I have them in my "txt" file. It just makes it a little harder to read.

CHANGELOG - As of 07-NOV-2023
=============================

1. Finished re-naming all the ships for the Default (1.5-Gold), Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate (1.8), Nihon Kaigun (1.2), and Nippon Maru (1.9) ship listings.
-- I'm not sure if there would be a problem using this "Names.cfg" file with other mods like RFB, TMO, RSRD, or a combination there-of, but there shouldn't be any since I haven't changed the "ClassName" which is to the "LEFT" of the "=" sign in the file. I've only changed the actual name that is displayed.
-- Missions should not be affected because, again, I haven't changed anything in the "callup" for the ships.

2. Currently working on scrubbing the "Names.cfg" file one more time to standardize all the changes. The main reason for this is that it's taken me so long to go through the listing that I've already found some discrepancies. I want to make sure that all the warships and all the merchants are using the same naming conventions -- or at least something similar enough to each other that it doesn't look like twenty people were working on this without talking to each other.
-- All combat ships have their names or hull number designations added instead of the name if available.
-- Warships: BBIowa=(BB) Iowa Class (BB-61) Length: 889 ft. Asp. Ratio: 5.88
CVEnterprise=(CV) Yorktown Class (CV-6) Length: 823 ft. Asp. Ratio: 4.97
CLOi=(CL) Kuma Class (HIJMS Oi) Length: 535 ft. Asp. Ratio: 4.57
W-19 Minesweeper=(AM/DMS) No.19 Class Length: 273 ft. Asp. Ratio: 3.82
DDFubuki=(DD) Fubuki I Class (HIJMS Fubuki) Length: 387 ft. Asp. Ratio: 4.35
DDHibiki=(DD) Akatsuki/Fubuki III Class (HIJMS Hibiki) Length: 387 ft. Asp. Ratio: 4.35
DDFubukiII=(DD) Ayanami/Fubuki II Class (HIJMS Ayanami) Length: 387 ft. Asp. Ratio: 4.35
-- All merchants have the ONI-209 nomenclature as well as the BuC&R / BuShips code applied where applicable. Also, the type of bow has been added to some (plumb or raked, as applicable) where it didn't stand out very well what type it may have been in the silouette.
-- Merchants: TugBoat=(ATO) Tug Boat Length: 205 ft. Asp. Ratio: 2.64
Whalechaser=(IX) Whaling Trawler Length: 205 ft. Asp. Ratio: 2.83
NL_B=47-K-M-K-K-K-F (AC) Medium Coaler: Plumb Length: 381 ft. Asp. Ratio: 4.81
NL_C=14-M-M-F-M-M (AK) Medium Heavyload Freighter: Plumb Length: 381 ft. Asp. Ratio: 4.81
NL_T01=62-M-M-F (AO) Medium Fleet Oiler Length: 410 ft. Asp. Ratio: 4.19
NPL_Hap=11-M-K-F-K-M-K (AP) 9,000-ton Modern Troopship Length: 449 ft. Asp. Ratio: 3.44
NPL_RC=11-M-K-F-K-M-K (AH) 9,000-ton Hospital Ship Length: 449 ft. Asp. Ratio: 3.44
NSHOS=22-M-F-M (APH) 3,500-ton Hospital Transport Length: 341 ft. Asp. Ratio: 3.98
KMCSHeito=22-M-F-M (AP/AK) Heito Maru Length: 341 ft. Asp. Ratio: 3.98
CyelonMaru=47-M-K-M-M-K-F (AK/AO) Cyelon Maru Length: 381 ft. Asp. Ratio: 4.81
JPAuxCruiser=29-M-K-K-F-M (AK/ACL/XCL) Shinano Maru Length: 528 ft. Asp. Ratio: 3.99

3. I still need to work on some of the eventual PDF images which I've decided to make/use for a PDF version of a "manual" which I'm going to include as a companion to the mod.
-- Will be based on ONI-41-42 for the warships and ONI-208-J for the merchants.
-- The merchant ships will be on pages that are from the manual where applicable.
-- Where there isn't something for reference, I'm just making something based on the closest, real ship. See Conte Verde page already posted as an example.
NOTE: The PDF will be broken down into two or more PDF files due to the size I'm already seeing in the file. Also please bear in mind the final PDF will probably be "ink-intensive" when compared to some other PDF files, so please be aware of that if you decide to print it when it comes out.

4. Still need info on height of the bridge (generally) for the U.S. subs.
-- I'm including a "Range Table" that will allow the user (if the game even simulates this) to actually be able to use the horizontal lines -- or at least the horizontal markings -- to determine the estimated range of a target ship that is over the horizon. (Like the ones in the silouettes that look like they measure height).
-- Not sure if this is modeled in the sim, or if it's modeled well if it is modeled. I do know that the ships will appear just under the horizon in-game, so I'm guessing you SHOULD be able to use the range table if you can at least estimate how much of the ship is visible and use that as an estimate of visible height.
-- The table was taken from a version of ONI-204 (German Ships) which is available online, but should work for any ship since it's based on math and not on a specific type of ship.

5. I'm stripping the "Font Mod" from the previously released BuPers mod and releasing as a "stand-alone" mod for those that would like to try the "typewriter" fonts in their set-up.
-- This will give you "typed" lettering throughout the sim.
-- Nothing new as far as the fonts go. They are just the default fonts that have been used based on the closest size to the orignal font that is being replaced.
-- The only issue I've found is in one of the options menus. The "Apply" option at the bottom right is cut off a little. I'm still trying to figure out which/where that is, but since it's the only thing I've found that didnt really work too well, I just left it alone.
-- I wasn't able to change the ammo counts since that would've been WAY too much learning to try and figure out how to move it. I figured the default font was okay for that.
-- I'm trying to figure a way to best place the ammo count in the weapons page so that you can get access to the number and types of rounds still onboard without having to actually get on the guns. Even if it's just a tool tip it would still be better than nothing. If I'm able to do this, it will be in the typewriter font like all the other stuff on the page already.

I'll try and get some screenshots tonight.

Hope everyone's day goes well. Like the old GEICO commercial said: "Hump Day!"

ElCid97
ElCid97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-23, 01:45 PM   #18
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215

Can't wait...

Take your time!

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-23, 10:06 PM   #19
ElCid97
Gunner

Not much work today. Rough day at work, so most effort tonight had to do with the graphic aids.

Here's an example of the new radio page. It now has a sort of cork board thing with notecards bearing the most common of the merchant types you would ID with the chart on the left. That way you don't necessarily have to go to the manual all the time:

Here's the same page with the French selection in the RecMan. The ensign as opposed to the flag is used, hence the "unbalanced" vertical stripes:

Next up is the updated info for the ex-USS Stewart, now trying to make you sleep with the fishes as Patrol Boat 102:

This is the updated USS Enterprise, CV-6:

Finally an example of an unclassified ship. In this case the Fishing Trawler the Japanese generally use as a picket ship:

More as I can post, but probably this weekend at the earliest. I wan't to make sure I have something good for folks to work with as beta.

Hop "hump day" went well on your ends!

ElCid97

PS: I stripped out the TDC and Tube graphics from TMO and am using them in FotRSU, much like you have other "TMO-Style" graphics available. No issues with it so far, so it could be an option for those who want it as part of their "mod-soup" options. Just FYI it works.
Old 11-12-23, 09:52 PM   #20
ElCid97
Gunner

I've been trying to get something done this weekend, but ran into a brick wall when it came to trying to add another window. I found several posts that said you could MAYBE add another "page" since the option seemed to be there in the "ini" file as well as the "commands.cfg" file, to an extent. Instead, I just got a message that said something was not implemented -- despite the fact everything was there where it was supposed to be.

Oh, well.

At least I got the radio done. I'll see about getting a beta package in the next few days, so sorry about not having one this weekend.

Here is the new radio page with some more reference information than the default.

The one thing you have to keep in mind is that the ONLY area that you can "grab" onto is the one where the main radio is. In other words, only the main "page" where the ONI-223-M chart is placed. If you can see the crossed arrows and the frequency for the radio, you're golden. You can't "grab" the window via the convoy map, flags, or range table. Not sure why this is, but I'm not going to sweat it since it seems to work.

Here is the new convoy map, which is basically the old one with an index card bearing the Japanese Naval Ensign since I couldn't think of anything else for now:

This is the "main" radio page that we're all familiar with. It now has the ONI-223-M reference page that explained the ONI-209 classification system. Like the convoy map, it has the plastic cover courtesy of the Dark Waters mod. If it's not "kosher" to have it on there as part of the image, please let me know and I won't include it for the release:

The cork board at the right has the more common Hull Classification indexes you're more likely to come across when looking for the ships in the accompanying chart. The full index is included now in the recognition manual as a separate country that you can select as shown in the previous screenshots.

The board across the bottom basically has a strip of paper tacked to the cork board there. Right now it's blank since I haven't really done anything with the "mod" it's for, but I wanted to have it there already for when I get around to it.

I was inspired by the recent post for the ECOPTC encryption device to look at some of the "codes" that were used to communicate with the resistance on the Philippines. It was a very basic grid that resembled the POW morse-code grid used during Vietnam. I have four or five "grids" already done, it's just a matter of getting the time to "code" the messages. I'm just afraid that if I touch "tsr" files in notepad I may break something. Besides, I still don't know which ones to look for to beging with.

Like I said, it's for something down the line, but I wanted to plan ahead. If you guys want to modify the graphics to put your own notes on the paper strip, by all means.

Here's the right side graphics which include the range table and the flag chart. They look blurry in the shot, but that's because I made them smaller for the upload.

The Range Table:

The Flag Chart (1944):

They are readable in-sim. The only one that is so-so is the flag chart, but you can make out what it says.

I was actually debating whether or not to use it since it's from 1944 and by that point in the war many of the Commonwealth countries were using their own ensigns (South Africa, for example) as opposed to the British ensign (White Ensign) which is found in the recognition manual now.

I was thinking of changing some of the index cards so that you have the option of having the flags for the manual as pre-1944 and post-1944 based on this chart. Same with the chart itself. That way if you're pre-1944 you have the manual as it is now and there's no flag chart (or at least another one that matches the manual). If you're post-1944, you have the flag chart as you see it and you have the updated flags on the manual. It would just be a matter of which one you wanted active with JSGME.

About the only thing I'm somewhat afraid of is that the user would have to manually edit some of the sections in the menu_1024_768.ini file since JM's wonderful tool only CHANGES sections that are in there, but it doesn't add or remove them. You would have to manually edit the file first, then use JM's menu-merger to get the rest of the file's lines written in.

Hope everyone had a good weekend and look forward to the next one!

Regards,

ElCid97
Old 11-13-23, 06:51 AM   #21
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Very nice. I would to try it.

I like "kosher". Include all, please, or as an optional.

Many thanks for all the work.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
Old 11-17-23, 07:49 PM   #22
ElCid97
Gunner

Thanks for everything, everybody!

Putting together the readme with instructions, so give me a day or two since I have a full plate with stuff at home.

If you would like a beta version to test, just send me a PM or an e-mail and I'll get you everything you'd need. It's a bit large and the instructions may be a bit detailed, but otherwise things may break easy.

The main thing is to see if things are working on your ends as advertised as well as to determine if there are any names or ships doubled up by accident. I went through all the folders as well as the "Names.cfg" file, so there may be some things I overlooked. I did catch a ship or two in two locations (Maru listing and FotRSU, for example) which I corrected. There may be one or two more.

Again, just a few days to get everything together and ready.

ElCid97
Old 11-18-23, 08:54 AM   #23
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCid97 View Post
Thanks for everything, everybody!

Putting together the readme with instructions, so give me a day or two since I have a full plate with stuff at home.

If you would like a beta version to test, just send me a PM or an e-mail and I'll get you everything you'd need. It's a bit large and the instructions may be a bit detailed, but otherwise things may break easy.

The main thing is to see if things are working on your ends as advertised as well as to determine if there are any names or ships doubled up by accident. I went through all the folders as well as the "Names.cfg" file, so there may be some things I overlooked. I did catch a ship or two in two locations (Maru listing and FotRSU, for example) which I corrected. There may be one or two more.

Again, just a few days to get everything together and ready.

ElCid97
Many thanks! IŽll send a PM to you.

Fitzcarraldo

Old 11-22-23, 10:01 AM   #24
ElCid97
Gunner

Just FYI ...

I've had a serious illness in the family. Things okay now, but I won't be too active here for a little bit.

So far one tester, so you guys can transfer the file amongst yourselves for testing. I'm okay with that.

I'll update when I can.

ElCid97
Old 11-22-23, 10:54 PM   #25
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Just FYI ...

I've had a serious illness in the family. Things okay now, but I won't be too active here for a little bit.

So far one tester, so you guys can transfer the file amongst yourselves for testing. I'm okay with that.

I'll update when I can.

ElCid97
I am sorry to hear that - this is a remarkable contribution. However, your family must come first. Hopefully, your personal situation improves; I look forward to seeing more developments before release.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-23, 12:44 PM   #26
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Quote:
Just FYI ...

I'll update when I can.

ElCid97
Sorry the read that, your family first, ever.

IŽll try the beta this weekend, and IŽll report here.

Good luck and blessings.

Fitzcarraldo

Old 11-24-23, 07:55 PM   #27
ElCid97
Gunner

Thanks for the kind words!

Mom and dad are both better now, but dad's still in the hospital with a broken hip. Operation went well, but they had to give him a pacemaker on top of everything else, so that extended things at the hospital a bit longer than we were hoping. At least he's got both things fixed, so it's just a matter of time.

Mom fell the day after dad, but thankfully only a knee sprain for now. Well, they think it's a sprain. She's at home, so I've been bouncing back and forth with the hospital and here for the last few days taking care of both of them.

I'll update on this and everything else when I have the chance, but at least I can say I have a lot to be thankful for since they're both now recovering -- even if it didn't involve turkey.

Unfortunately I'm back to work on Monday, so we'll see if I have to take a few more days off or not. We'll see. Like the old Cuban saying from the 1950's goes, "Eramos poco y pario mi abuela" (Think "Murphy" and his damn laws).

Hope everyone okay on your ends.

Regards,

ElCid97
Old 12-24-23, 05:28 PM   #28
ElCid97
Gunner

Default Uploaded to Mods!

Just a heads up that the assistant has been uploaded to the Gameplay Mods folder for SH4.

It's been tested by Fitzcaraldo quite a bit and it seems it's good to go as-is.

Hope everyone has a good Christmas and overall a great Holiday Season!

ElCid97
Old 12-25-23, 09:12 AM   #29
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Quote:
Just a heads up that the assistant has been uploaded to the Gameplay Mods folder for SH4.

ElCid97
The mod works very fine in my installation. No problems

A great work, must have.

My mod list:

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[E:\SH4\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.8
101_FotRSUv18_FixPak
Nihon Kaigun v1.3a_FotRSU
Nippon_Maru_v1.9b_FotRSU
Combined Roster
399_NoScrollNavMap
801_UMark Invisible
304_NoJapaneseAirRadar
650_OriginalFOTRS_Dudz
803_NoPlayerSubFlags
901_Strategic_Map_Symbols
451_TMOstyle_NavMapDots
451a_TMOstyle_NavMapDots_Nippon_Maru
451b_TMOstyle_NavMapDots_Nihon_Kaigun
450_MoonlightzSonarLines
SH5 TWoS Flags for SH4 FotRSU
Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.7_EN
FI-OQ_FotRSU_v1.8f_upcPatch
Realistic Floor Tiles for Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarter
Snarf_WoodModelv2
FJB Brown Navigation Map
851_Red_FotRSU_Logo
856_Col_FotRSU_Museum
Jimimadrid Sailors for FotRSU
Jimimadrid Optics
jimimadrid Shells
Jimimadrid SubManagement
Jimimadrid Metalic Dials
Jimimadrid S18_S42 Gui Dials
Jimimadrid TDC
Jimimadrid Tools
jimimadrid HUD
BATTLEFLAG_CONNING_S-18_SS123
BATTLEFLAG_WARDROOM_S-18_SS123
FOTRSU_1.8_SUB_SKINS_IN_4k
SMALLER SEABED ROCKS
New Sounds for Fleetboat_Interior-Officer Quarters mod
FotRS_SClass
EAX_SoundSim_FOTRSU_1.8
Enhanced SubSounds for SH4
Lite Fog v2 + 100' Underwater Visability
DarkerNightsEnv_V2
RUBINI_CLOUDS_SH4
SMALLER SEA PLANTS MEDIUM
sobers better rock Ver 2 mod
sobers better sand II
Speech_Overhaul
Sonar Speech Upgrade for FOTRSU 1.8
Vanilla Impurities
FOTRSU Less Jap Planes
Hitman's In Game TSAC v2.1
Targeting_Assistant_V1

Happy Holidays to all!

Fitzcarraldo

Old 12-25-23, 11:58 AM   #30
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:

ElCid97
Good to see you back! Enjoy your Christmas.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote