SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-31-21, 10:02 PM   #991
rschilla
Seaman

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

I tried, too. No luck. I found a lot of those "armed trawlers" but they are no where near as annoying.
rschilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-21, 11:32 PM   #992
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschilla View Post
I tried, too. No luck. I found a lot of those "armed trawlers" but they are no where near as annoying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathOrGlory View Post
Yep, I've had a look through the folder KaleunMarco mentioned and can't find it.

If anyone else knows, I'd like to know the answer as well
what ship type are you looking for?
Steam Trawlers are referred to as Class=F03B and F04B and also as just Unittype=104.

did you look in folder C:\Ubisoft\OpMonsun\Data\Campaigns\CampaignGE\Camp aignData\Allies_HarbourTraffic.mis?
how about UK_Coastal.mis?
and
UK_Coastal_late.mis?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-21, 12:17 AM   #993
rschilla
Seaman

I was looking for steam trawler and then just trawler.

Had no idea about those other designations. I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

I did check out the coastal.mis file but I was looking for the wrong ship.
Old 04-03-21, 08:45 PM   #994
rschilla
Seaman

Thanks for the tip on the steam trawlers unittype. That helped.

One new question. I activated the Med mod but I can't find anyway to get myself transferred to or assigned to the Med. Is there a trick to that?
Old 04-04-21, 12:26 AM   #995
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Thanks for the tip on the steam trawlers unittype. That helped.

One new question. I activated the Med mod but I can't find anyway to get myself transferred to or assigned to the Med. Is there a trick to that?
look in the documentation.
C:\Ubisoft\OpMonsun\OM_DarkWaters_V6\Support

you have to choose a particular flotilla at the start of a career. also, if memory serves properly, the Med ports were only open for a limited period of time.

LAA enabled
Old 04-06-21, 04:24 PM   #996
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andytowsend View Post
Hi! Nice job with the mod for dark waters but the only problem i got is with the museum; i don't know if all those who has downloaded the mod got the same problem but when i enter the museum it loads then the game crash.
Is there a fix for it? Because i wanna know what ships have been added to the mod
yep. the fix is...when you enter the museum and then want to play the game, you need to exit out of SH4 and relaunch it to play.
i believe there is a list of ships in the mod documentation of which there is a great deal. check there.

LAA enabled
Old 04-06-21, 05:16 PM   #997
rschilla
Seaman

Well I got to the Mediterranean.... sailed all over...ran into a couple of British destroyers but there weren't a lot of merchant targets.

I guess all those convoys that spawn in the Atlantic near Gibraltar never sail through the Med to get there?

Or maybe a big ship was stuck in Suez?

Anyway, back to the Atlantic for me!
Old 04-07-21, 03:28 PM   #998
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Well I got to the Mediterranean.... sailed all over...ran into a couple of British destroyers but there weren't a lot of merchant targets.

I guess all those convoys that spawn in the Atlantic near Gibraltar never sail through the Med to get there?

Or maybe a big ship was stuck in Suez?

Anyway, back to the Atlantic for me!
there is traffic but you have to find the lanes, and that can be time consuming.

IIRC, across the northern rim of africa is one lane.
along the southern rim of france.
in/out of gibraltar is another.

a lot of one ship contacts.

i think i created my own traffic the last time i played DW. it's been a year since...that's a lot of water under the keel.

there is definitely more traffic in the Atlantic but there are also more threats, especially the verdammt RAF/USAAF.
good luck, Herr Kaleun

LAA enabled
Old 04-13-21, 01:26 AM   #999
FireDragon76
Bosun

Downloads: 111

I tried out the mod, playing one of the early war missions for the mod (the one where you have to sink the HMS Glorious- I tried using a Type II pigboat for laughs). The lighting and sound are amazing. The intreface is also well put together and stylish.

I usually play Silent Hunter at 1360x768, using Reshade with SMAA, TAA, and Adaptive Sharpen, just because my eyes don't see so good, and 1920x1080 has tiny text (with tweaked Reshade settings, 1320 looks almost as good as 1280, but the text and interface are bigger). It still worked OK, and since I use auto-aim, it's not a big deal to not have perfect aspect ratio.

However, I am having trouble finding the orders window. I don't understand alot of German so that makes it a bit confusing.
FireDragon76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-21, 09:46 AM   #1000
rschilla
Seaman

Quote:
there is traffic but you have to find the lanes, and that can be time consuming.

There is one obvious choke point - throughout history - which is between Tunisia and Sicily. I doubt that the British sent many ships through the straits of Messina so anything that comes through Suez pretty much has to end up heading for Gibraltar which means running the gauntlet between Axis air bases on either side of the choke point.

I put my uboat there for 10 days and slowly circled but in all that time encountered only a single merchant.
Old 04-13-21, 11:07 AM   #1001
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
There is one obvious choke point - throughout history - which is between Tunisia and Sicily. I doubt that the British sent many ships through the straits of Messina so anything that comes through Suez pretty much has to end up heading for Gibraltar which means running the gauntlet between Axis air bases on either side of the choke point.

I put my uboat there for 10 days and slowly circled but in all that time encountered only a single merchant.
yeah, know what you mean.

this is where i learned how to create my own traffic. have you ever used the Mission Editor? do you know about RGGs (Random Generated Groups)? if not, and you are interested, send me a PM and we can talk about it.

LAA enabled
Old 04-13-21, 11:09 AM   #1002
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

lurker_hlb3 did a lot of single runs of RGG in the Med, which followed "historical" runs, so most of the traffic is rather sporadic, except in support of other operations. However, there is some random groups that cross the Med and travel along the coasts. None of this was changed for Dark Waters, so as in real life, there will be day upon day of boredom, followed by interminable hours of sheer terror...

That is a photo-stitch of three of the layers for the Med, gotten from the Mission Editor.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-21, 12:36 AM   #1003
DeathOrGlory
Swabbie

Downloads: 40

Is it possible to get medals and promotions for yourself in DW? I have sunk 30,0000+ tons in my current career and have completed multiple patrols yet I have not received any medals for myself (or my crew!).

Wondering if it's possible to get promoted to Kapitain Leutnant as well.
DeathOrGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-21, 09:06 AM   #1004
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathOrGlory View Post
Is it possible to get medals and promotions for yourself in DW? I have sunk 30,0000+ tons in my current career and have completed multiple patrols yet I have not received any medals for myself (or my crew!).

Wondering if it's possible to get promoted to Kapitain Leutnant as well.
if i remember properly, promotions are the result of successful mission objectives and medals are the result of renown from sinking tonnage during any one mission.

there is an algorithm for promotions but i cannot find it at the moment. IIRC (or somewhat correctly) each mission during a career is rated between 3 at the high end and -3 at the low end. you add your mission points and divide by the number of missions and if the average is 2+ basically, you will need 4 or more successful missions to get promoted. there is also a date-lapse factor involved in that you cannot get promoted after consecutive missions. failure early in a career is a career-killer.
edit: found this: After each patrol a calculation takes place: New_Campaign_Rating = Old_Campaign_Rating + Last_Patrol_Rating / 2

medals are awarded after you sink enough tonnage in one mission and not for sinking tonnage consistently over several missions. it is possible during one mission to sink over 100k tons and receive a medal and then get court martialed for sinking one of your ships or too many neutral ships.

and no, you cannot award yourself medals and promotions. (several jokes come to mind here but we will forsake the humor since we do not know each other).

there is neither a display to show you your current renown nor your current promotability score. that's Ubi for you.

LAA enabled
Old 04-19-21, 02:01 AM   #1005
DeathOrGlory
Swabbie

Downloads: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
if i remember properly, promotions are the result of successful mission objectives and medals are the result of renown from sinking tonnage during any one mission.

there is an algorithm for promotions but i cannot find it at the moment. IIRC (or somewhat correctly) each mission during a career is rated between 3 at the high end and -3 at the low end. you add your mission points and divide by the number of missions and if the average is 2+ basically, you will need 4 or more successful missions to get promoted. there is also a date-lapse factor involved in that you cannot get promoted after consecutive missions. failure early in a career is a career-killer.
edit: found this: After each patrol a calculation takes place: New_Campaign_Rating = Old_Campaign_Rating + Last_Patrol_Rating / 2

medals are awarded after you sink enough tonnage in one mission and not for sinking tonnage consistently over several missions. it is possible during one mission to sink over 100k tons and receive a medal and then get court martialed for sinking one of your ships or too many neutral ships.

and no, you cannot award yourself medals and promotions. (several jokes come to mind here but we will forsake the humor since we do not know each other).

there is neither a display to show you your current renown nor your current promotability score. that's Ubi for you.

Thank you for your reply

It seems that no medals will be coming, as I have 100% realism settings and levels 2 convoy difficulty making it very hard to get a patrol with super high tonnage. I love it this way though, as even SH3 with GWX was a bit unrealistic with how many tons you could get away with each patrol.

I feel like this mod is the best version of an authentic submarine sim experience out there. Truly wonderful work done by all involved. A few creases here and there but it's a fantastic experiences nonetheless!

Feel free to send through any quips about self-promoting, Kaleun Marco
DeathOrGlory is offline   Reply With Quote