SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-13-21, 01:01 AM   #3031
dex
Engineer

Downloads: 198
Uploads: 0
Default about German side career

this is mostly for american sub...is there a purpose to try uboat career...german sub
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-21, 01:48 AM   #3032
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
this is mostly for american sub...is there a purpose to try uboat career...german sub
Not with FotRS. If you are able to, have another copy of SH4 & mod it with:

Operation Monsun: Dark Waters v6

found here:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=243322

Make sure to use multiSH4 to keep the save game folder for it, separate from the FotRS save folder.. as well as making sure to use either 4GB patch or Large Address Aware.

M. M.

Old 04-13-21, 03:31 AM   #3033
dex
Engineer

Downloads: 198
Default About Uboat german career

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Not with FotRS. If you are able to, have another copy of SH4 & mod it with:

Operation Monsun: Dark Waters v6

found here:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=243322

Make sure to use multiSH4 to keep the save game folder for it, separate from the FotRS save folder.. as well as making sure to use either 4GB patch or Large Address Aware.

M. M.

Best regards
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-21, 10:47 AM   #3034
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
The German career in FotRSU should function, but it is only the Stock version. If you want more, do as MM says and use Dark Waters or OM.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-21, 02:51 PM   #3035
FotRSU Mod Team
Team Leader

Downloads: 50
Uploads: 3

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
There seems to be a disconnect somewhere here. We have received numerous PMs, and noticed quite a few of the postings on the Download page, as well as in the thread here, have to do with simple instructions found in the first post and on the download page, but also in the mod itself in the Support folder. We will reiterate, very basically one more time:
1. You
must have a fresh install of Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific v1.5 - the one with the U-Boats
2. That game
must be installed in a folder that is NOT a "Program Files" folder, including if you are using Steam
3. You
must have at least four (4) gig of RAM and a 64 bit Windows OS
(if you have something older and 32-bit with 4 gig of RAM, PM propbeanie who can get you going)
4. You
must PROPERLY use either LAA or NTCore 4Gig Patch, or similar on the SH4.exe file
5. You
MUST empty the Save folder
You WILL have fun, and you WILL like it...

Please read the instructions though!
Old 04-13-21, 03:34 PM   #3036
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotRSU Mod Team View Post
There seems to be a disconnect somewhere here. We have received numerous PMs, and noticed quite a few of the postings on the Download page, as well as in the thread here, have to do with simple instructions found in the first post and on the download page, but also in the mod itself in the Support folder. We will reiterate, very basically one more time:
1. You
must have a fresh install of Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific v1.5 - the one with the U-Boats
2. That game
must be installed in a folder that is NOT a "Program Files" folder, including if you are using Steam
3. You
must have at least four (4) gig of RAM and a 64 bit Windows OS
(if you have something older and 32-bit with 4 gig of RAM, PM propbeanie who can get you going)
4. You
must PROPERLY use either LAA or NTCore 4Gig Patch, or similar on the SH4.exe file
5. You
MUST empty the Save folder
You WILL have fun, and you WILL like it...

Please read the instructions though!
Seems some, are gung ho iguana's.. that don't seem to have the time or patience, to read... or pay attention to install instructions.. sadly...

blasted, young whipper snappers... don't they get any of that fancy smancy, readin' writin', rithmatic any more... *begins snoring, after falling asleep, drooling, looking like gran pa on The Simpsons*

M. M.

Old 04-13-21, 08:14 PM   #3037
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Seems some, are gung ho iguana's.. that don't seem to have the time or patience, to read... or pay attention to install instructions.. sadly...

blasted, young whipper snappers... don't they get any of that fancy smancy, readin' writin', rithmatic any more... *begins snoring, after falling asleep, drooling, looking like gran pa on The Simpsons*

M. M.

To be fair, a *lot* of tribal knowledge is bound up in some very old posts here in the forums, but it *does* seem that there are a bunch of nubs who post the same question in multiple postings, expecting a magical response within minutes.

The first thing I do when I see a new mod pop up is subscribe to that thread - oftentimes the answer to an issue is buried on like page 53 of a 100 page thread - and I continue reading as new posts pile up.

The second thing I do is a search here.

The third thing I do is a search in Google or duckduckgo.

99% of the time the answer shows up using one of those three resources.

The other issue I've seen is an inability to actually read and answer when someone trying to help them asks questions or makes a probing statement of inquiry.

If we're asking you a question, it's to your benefit to answer it because we're building a picture of how you've installed something, what mod order things are in, where you've installed it, etc...
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-21, 09:35 PM   #3038
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomizer View Post
I started a January 1943 career with a GATO from Midway. Before leaving I selected the aft-mounted 4" deck gun but once at sea I discovered that the gun had no crew slots allotted and so could never be manned.

It's not a big deal, although I prefer aft mounts where historical.

-C
As an inveterate instruction-reader and self-help fan I get all of the rage above. All I would like to know is how to refit with an aft deck gun and get the crew spots to man it.

Sadly, either there is no solution or my post was lost as the page turned.

-C
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-21, 12:22 AM   #3039
propbeanie

Quote:
I started a January 1943 career with a GATO from Midway. Before leaving I selected the aft-mounted 4" deck gun but once at sea I discovered that the gun had no crew slots allotted and so could never be manned.

It's not a big deal, although I prefer aft mounts where historical.
Quote:
As an inveterate instruction-reader and self-help fan I get all of the rage above. All I would like to know is how to refit with an aft deck gun and get the crew spots to man it.

Sadly, either there is no solution or my post was lost as the page turned
A turning of the page is my excuse, and I'm shtickin' to it...

Did you happen to remove your gun crew prior to changing the weapon fore to aft? Did you happen to check for the slots prior to departing on patrol with the new gun position? If you had the slots after departing, did you Save the game, exit the game, then come back into the game and Load that Save, so that the game "initializes" the new gun location? Either way though, refer to Section 3 of the "NewColetrainsAndOthersDGfix.pdf" file in the Support / HowTo folder, also linked to in the "01_FotRSU_TableOfContents.pdf" file in the Support folder... This is a Stock game issue that will apparently always haunt the game...

Old 04-14-21, 12:00 PM   #3040
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131

Thanks, PB, last posts on any page often fall down the memory hole, it is the nature of the beast.

I changed nothing and just selected the aft deck gun option then left for patrol. I guess that I assumed (which one should never do because of the whole a$$ thing) that if it was offered, it would probably work.

It was in a loaded save that I discovered the missing crew slots. Then I rolled eyes, shook head and like a true curmudgeon, deleted the career.

I will refer to the references and try again. Thank you!

-C
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-21, 01:10 PM   #3041
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68
Default ship respawned

FOTRS 1.46, (the Only mod), Tambor out of Pearl Dec 9, 1941
Mission: scout out Eniwetok, etc.
Got the photo, went hunting got 2 ships in northern 'pool' of deeper water, headed south to get Fleet tanker west of Parry.
Got the fleet tanker Dec 20. returned to deep water the same way I came in: back north west of Engebi.
did a counterclockwise circle of the Atoll, found an Airplane tender sitting west of Parry on Dec 22.

Set up for a long shot on the tender, discovered a Fleet Tanker in exactly the same spot as the one I sank.
Not my first go-around.... I figure, as far as the game is concerned, that is exactly the same ship: no points for sinking again.

Just passing it on, in case it's important to the Modders.

Mike

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-21, 01:48 PM   #3042
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 434
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesn9 View Post
Got the photo, went hunting got 2 ships in northern 'pool' of deeper water, headed south to get Fleet tanker west of Parry.
Got the fleet tanker Dec 20.

Set up for a long shot on the tender, discovered a Fleet Tanker in exactly the same spot as the one I sank.
Not my first go-around.... I figure, as far as the game is concerned, that is exactly the same ship: no points for sinking again.
glad you brought this up again...........
through experience, i have noticed that the recurring-ship-i-already-sunk problem seems to occur when the TF/convoy/ship spawns near some land, even an island.
i had not experienced this in years until just a couple of weeks ago when i was passing one of the Ryukyu islands and a small convoy surprised me. i took care of business and went on my way and then, for the first time in a while, they re-spawned and went on their merry way.
i stopped routine patrolling near land masses quite a while ago and so i do not experience the recurring-ship-i-already-sunk problem.

PB will respond with his stay 20-30-mi-away-from-land-when-engaging-enemy-ships rant however sometimes even the best of us are set-upon near land.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-21, 02:03 PM   #3043
Nemesis Bosseret
Mate

Downloads: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
To be fair, a *lot* of tribal knowledge is bound up in some very old posts here in the forums, but it *does* seem that there are a bunch of nubs who post the same question in multiple postings, expecting a magical response within minutes.

The first thing I do when I see a new mod pop up is subscribe to that thread - oftentimes the answer to an issue is buried on like page 53 of a 100 page thread - and I continue reading as new posts pile up.

The second thing I do is a search here.

The third thing I do is a search in Google or duckduckgo.

99% of the time the answer shows up using one of those three resources.

The other issue I've seen is an inability to actually read and answer when someone trying to help them asks questions or makes a probing statement of inquiry.

If we're asking you a question, it's to your benefit to answer it because we're building a picture of how you've installed something, what mod order things are in, where you've installed it, etc...
Or you could just be me and be a SH veteran of all the games including the first one on nintendo and everything you touch turns into dog Fecal matter because you breathed on the download wrong, Or you cussed at the computer during the loading screen so it corrrupted all ur saved games lol ive had issues with every game and it drives me bannanas and i read for solutions just to find that its a common SH issue. but instead of a once in a while issue mine is a poke me in the face 30 times a minute issue even tho im running on a cracked out system.
Nemesis Bosseret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-21, 03:18 PM   #3044
Nemesis Bosseret
Mate

Downloads: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The German career in FotRSU should function, but it is only the Stock version. If you want more, do as MM says and use Dark Waters or OM.
Sir i have a question. Actually several questions. Mostly cuz im a bit of a nub on SH4 and stuck mostly with SH3 and SH5. Not a nub in RL tho i actually earned a pair of fish.

Im a bit confused with the American TDC. The range dial seems too small or i cant read it so i cant cross check it with map measurements. Is there any mods that i can add or alterations in the files to make it more legible?
I tried to use the stato/range finder tool and was getting way wonky off measurements, cross checked with the classification of ship and it was trying to throw my torps a miles ahead of the ship i was targeting. I Used the officer ID ship button and then did it myself and found it in the book and clicked the check mark.

Only after several attempts i got it locked up with a semi decent solution. I seriously could of shot with zero solution and guessed my launch times better than the computer was giving me. Im not sure if this deals with having postion keeper on or off. Or if im just a tard with the american TDC. Is there a Tutorial or something on how to use it properly? I like to sharp shoot convoys from near max range and can do this almost every time in SH5 or SH3 with manual targeting even with crap tastic Steam torps. Or is there a way i can maunally input target data to shoot at pre defined spot on the map? aka the Dick O'Kane targeting method?

Thank you for ur time and amazing work.
Nemesis Bosseret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-21, 05:06 PM   #3045
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesn9 View Post
FOTRS 1.46, (the Only mod), Tambor out of Pearl Dec 9, 1941
Mission: scout out Eniwetok, etc.
Got the fleet tanker Dec 20. returned to deep water the same way I came in: back north west of Engebi.
did a counterclockwise circle of the Atoll, found an Airplane tender sitting west of Parry on Dec 22.

Not my first go-around.... I figure, as far as the game is concerned, that is exactly the same ship: no points for sinking again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
glad you brought this up again...........
through experience, i have noticed that the recurring-ship-i-already-sunk problem seems to occur when the TF/convoy/ship spawns near some land, even an island.
i had not experienced this in years until just a couple of weeks ago when i was passing one of the Ryukyu islands and a small convoy surprised me. i took care of business and went on my way and then, for the first time in a while, they re-spawned and went on their merry way.
i stopped routine patrolling near land masses quite a while ago and so i do not experience the recurring-ship-i-already-sunk problem.

PB will respond with his stay 20-30-mi-away-from-land-when-engaging-enemy-ships rant however sometimes even the best of us are set-upon near land.
The airplanes were the reason for staying away from land, but we have reduced that problem by adding more / smaller airbases that respond to your sub's presence (hopefully) from a seaward side, such that they don't go flying through a mountain range at just the time to spawn into "life". As for the "sinking" ships, from all indications I have seen, you have to wait around for them to "complete" their sinking. "I'm not dead yet!"

A bit like the repair crew having to start all over with the damage, if you Save the game and exit at the wrong time, only to have the "repair time" start all over again, or the weather "clock" to do similar, if you leave the "spawn range" prior to the ship actually dying, then it can and will re-spawn, given the opportunity, and not have any damage. Even if you see a distress flare, and / or get a "She's taking on water and going down!" message. This happens especially when you are bird-dogging a convoy, shoot one, toot scoot and boogie for a run-around and do it again, and then wonder "didn't I just sink that Medium Merchant?"... I had one the other day while testing that broke in two and "sank" in about 10 minutes, but the bow and stern pieces kept hanging around. Nothing else in the neighborhood, so I popped-up to put a few rounds of 4" through one or both pieces, only to get caught topside by a plane that proceeded to put a bomb through the forward torpedo room... sigh - the sun was in my eyes! Now, I have no idea how the game decides when a ship is "fully dead", like they hit their "crush depth" or something??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis Bosseret View Post
Sir i have a question. Actually several questions. Mostly cuz im a bit of a nub on SH4 and stuck mostly with SH3 and SH5. Not a nub in RL tho i actually earned a pair of fish.

Im a bit confused with the American TDC. The range dial seems too small or i cant read it so i cant cross check it with map measurements. Is there any mods that i can add or alterations in the files to make it more legible?
I tried to use the stato/range finder tool and was getting way wonky off measurements, cross checked with the classification of ship and it was trying to throw my torps a miles ahead of the ship i was targeting. I Used the officer ID ship button and then did it myself and found it in the book and clicked the check mark.

Only after several attempts i got it locked up with a semi decent solution. I seriously could of shot with zero solution and guessed my launch times better than the computer was giving me. Im not sure if this deals with having postion keeper on or off. Or if im just a tard with the american TDC. Is there a Tutorial or something on how to use it properly? I like to sharp shoot convoys from near max range and can do this almost every time in SH5 or SH3 with manual targeting even with crap tastic Steam torps. Or is there a way i can maunally input target data to shoot at pre defined spot on the map? aka the Dick O'Kane targeting method?

Thank you for ur time and amazing work.
Rockin Robbins has the Sub Skipper's Bag of Tricks thread, that has several very useful tutorial vidz in it, including the Dick O'Kane method, as done in SH4, which was the way I usually did manual targeting, since one time I would get 2000 yards on a target with the stadimeter, and the next I would get 9700, or some such useless data, when in actuality, it was probably 4000 yards... so yeah, course, speed, 90, shoot... I only missed about 50% of the time like that... - I still don't understand how the stadimeter can be that far off for me, other than user error... ?? I dunno... But, while it's not compatible with FotRSU, CapnScurvy did Optical Targeting Correction mod, which can go on Stock or TMO, or several other mods and combinations. The part that will draw you to it is this:

which is a range dial... s-s-shweet... Our fingers are still crossed that he will take a break from his vintage vehicle overhaul long enough to give us an add-in mod of OTC for FotRSU. Fingers crossed, but not holding my breath... lol