SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-20-12, 01:44 PM   #841
PathTracer
Nub

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

great mod
PathTracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-12, 01:08 AM   #842
misha1967
Commander

Downloads: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathTracer View Post
great mod
Indispensable is the word, really

After downloading and enabling it I truly understand why the first reply to me noting in an earlier post just after I'd moved to SH5 that I hadn't yet installed OHII was "why not?"

Why not indeed?
Old 03-21-12, 03:02 AM   #843
Swat
中国水兵

Downloads: 224

Trevally: I would like to ask you something, if you could provide some explanation or suggestions please. I have pedrobas MMM pack where OHII is included. And I have North western approaches objective, but I can not find a single vessel there nor convoy - nothing for two weeks (in game weeks of course) I believe I have everything installed properly since I did get 'Breaking the fortress' mission. But what is also weird it's called north western approaches, but it shows me my area of operations to the west of the channel so I'm bit confused. Would you please have any idea where should I be? Is the area of operations pointed on the map relevant or is it not? Thank you and thank you for Open Horizons. I was considering suicide when I installed SH5 for the very first time and found out that campaign goes only untill 1943 you know?

Edit: And also what is the other bar with those codes?

First Patrol Of U-21 Part 1:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqBqInzBaGc
First Patrol Of U-21 Part 2:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWqyTaomDjM
Swat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-12, 03:35 AM   #844
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Your game isnt running properly . You didnt follow the starting game specific instructions for when you have OH2 installed . I think you will have to start a new career and follow the instructions found on the first few posts of the OH2 thread .
Note
When starting a new campaign using OHII - DO NOT PLAY THE TUTORIAL - you will get a ctd when returing to Kiel at the end of the tut. Select "Skip Tutorial" when starting.
If you are not getting an option to skip the tutorial when starting a new career, go to Documents\SH5\data\cfg\CareerHistory.cfg and edit the file with Notepad. Change the following line:

HasCompletedTutorial=false
with
HasCompletedTutorial=true
Note:
When you are in the Bunker - check that you can get to ask the officer for upgrades. If this option is greyed out (this normally happens when you progress to a new campaign or use the silentotto trick) - save/load to fix.
If you do not do this your game will not show a loading screen when you enter your boat. If this happens - dock straight away.
Leaving the bunker like this, the game will fail to load properly and weird stuff can happen, including CTDs.
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-12, 04:25 AM   #845
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

@Swat,

Yes I think Sober is correct. The map should look like this

You are the second person in 2 days to notice this and there has been a few before

It could be installing OHII and using an old save or not starting a career with OHII installed. That mission is in the stock campaign, but with 2 objectives and it looks like the game is looking for the second one but there is none as OHII has removed it

The patrol area is the northen line - I do not know why the second area is beinng shown (SW approach), it could be related to the above - I will check.

Finding ships for the NW approaches - Yes I found this a bit low in traffic for the date you are there.
There are however a few hot spots where shipping lanes cross and these are you best hunting areas. I will post a pic soon to show them.

For the error, can you test for me
Start new career (test) with OHII (MMM) installed and skip tut.
Use the mod "Change days in bunker" and here set days to 24 or something.
Then you can repeat paotrol/dock until you get to the date of that objective (may take about x5 patrol/docks) and see if the mission is dislpayed ok.

Thanks
Old 03-21-12, 04:49 AM   #846
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Old 03-21-12, 05:03 AM   #847
Swat
中国水兵

Thanks for the reply guys, I'll se what I can do.

sober: I think I did start my career properly. I've played the tutorial without any mods whatsoever, just vanilla game patched to 1.2. Docked at Kiel, blah blah blah with the captain and officer.

Exit and installed the mods. Back to game, new campaign, skipped tutorial, adjusted realism settings, interaction with gun officer, sub setup, then mission briefing and started my first patrol with loading screen.

What could possibly go wrong?

Old 03-21-12, 05:12 AM   #848
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevally. View Post
If anyone has any ideas or suggestions they would like added to the campaign - now would be a good time to let me know
Hi Trevally, thank you for your inestimable work, and for all the effort and time you're putting in it!
Though not currently playing the game, I highly appreciate and follow with maximum interest the development of OHII, like everyone in subsim community, but I think you know it allready, so let's go to the point...

A few weeks ago, while reading on the web about WWII U-boat historical operations, to my surprise I've discovered the existence of the so called Monsun Gruppe, whose theatre was partly South Pacific, partly Indian Ocean and Far East. What about adding to OHII a new campaign for it?

I know that most of Monsoon U-boats were of the type IX, currently not featured by SH5, but hopefully with the development of GR2 editor by TDW, one day we will be able to add these boats to the game. I am also aware that adding a new war theatre to the existing campaigns would probably require a lot of work in creating some new nations, new shipping lines, new ports and player bases (and possibly much more that I can't think of right now ), but these additions shouldn't necessarily featured in the next release of OHII, and in my opinion they would add a lot to the depth of the game. After all we have a whole SH5 earth globe, but we are currently using only a small part of it.

Provided that you like the idea, I would be glad to collect some historical data on it. Too bad, the next week I'll have to go abroad for field work, and I'll not be back until 4 weeks from now. In the meanwhile you could consult the following links for general information:

http://uboat.net/ops/monsun.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsun_Gruppe
http://www.uboataces.com/articles-fareast-boats4.shtml
http://monsun-uboats.blogspot.it/

Last edited by gap; 03-21-12 at 05:32 AM.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-12, 05:18 AM   #849
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swat View Post
Thanks for the reply guys, I'll se what I can do.

sober: I think I did start my career properly. I've played the tutorial without any mods whatsoever, just vanilla game patched to 1.2. Docked at Kiel, blah blah blah with the captain and officer.

Exit and installed the mods. Back to game, new campaign, skipped tutorial, adjusted realism settings, interaction with gun officer, sub setup, then mission briefing and started my first patrol with loading screen.

What could possibly go wrong?
Srsly , were playing SH5 here . What could go wrong
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-12, 05:40 AM   #850
joey777
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 42

Another thank you for all af you who worked on this mod !
joey777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-12, 05:58 AM   #851
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey777 View Post
Another thank you for all af you who worked on this mod !
Thanks Joey and welcome to subsim
Yes - many people have worked on this mod and continue to do so.
I would also like to thank them

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
Srsly , were playing SH5 here . What could go wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Hi Trevally, thank you for your inestimable work, and for all the effort and time you're putting in it!
Though not currently playing the game, I highly appreciate and follow with maximum interest the development of OHII, like everyone in subsim community, but I think you know it allready, so let's go to the point...

A few weeks ago, while reading on the web about WWII U-boat historical operations, to my surprise I've discovered the existence of the so called Monsun Gruppe, whose theatre was partly South Pacific, partly Indian Ocean and Far East. What about adding to OHII a new campaign for it?

I know that most of Monsoon U-boats were of the type IX, currently not featured by SH5, but hopefully with the development of GR2 editor by TDW, one day we will be able to add these boats to the game. I am also aware that adding a new war theatre to the existing campaigns would probably require a lot of work in creating some new nations, new shipping lines, new ports and player bases (and possibly much more that I can't think of right now ), but these additions shouldn't necessarily featured in the next release of OHII, and in my opinion they would add a lot to the depth of the game. After all we have a whole SH5 earth globe, but we are currently using only a small part of it.

Provided that you like the idea, I would be glad to collect some historical data on it. Too bad, the next week I'll have to go abroad for field work, and I'll not be back until 4 weeks from now. In the meanwhile you could consult the following links for general information:

http://uboat.net/ops/monsun.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsun_Gruppe
http://www.uboataces.com/articles-fareast-boats4.shtml
http://monsun-uboats.blogspot.it/

SOmething like this

The Final Year (black may) must be last in the campaign, but MG could fit in as above.

This could be set for all the new layers to be within this campaign only so as not to effect any other campaign performance due to more layers added.

The only thing I am not sure if I can do is to place bunkers where they would need to be (have not tried before)

Using VII type boats - this could be set for VIIC or C41 and if we ever get new types, they could be added to the campaign easily.
Old 03-21-12, 06:48 AM   #852
vit90
Seaman

Downloads: 100
save

Guys! Who has save campaign files. Give me please, at least that campaign to Mediterranean was open. And that windows broke and together with it and my save files.
vit90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-12, 07:05 AM   #853
Swat
中国水兵

sober+Trevally: Well all right, I know. However I sank one ship now in the territory recommended by Trevally (thank you), but the progress bar under North western approaches label is still at zero so there's definitely something wrong. I guess I'll put U-21 in the dry dock for some fixes (can anyone make a dry dock mod?) and start completely new carrer then.

Old 03-21-12, 08:40 AM   #854
Swat
中国水兵

So! I've tried the trick with 'days in bunker' mod. Skipped to some April 1940 and objectives were generating properly. And disappearing as well. That was another issue I was thinking about. I've 'completed' Coastal waters with 70000 tons sunk, but the objective was still there even in May 1940 and that's not correct I guess.

I can't really remember what I could have done wrong back then. I did read sober's manual how to start new campaign and everything. My suspicion is I haven't tried to talk to the upgrade officer to check whether the upgrades are available and just started off new campaign. And obviously OH was not working properly so the campaign was generating in some different way with certain issues.

Now I tried it and everything went fine, objectives showing properly without any codes - just objectives.

My fault then and thank you guys (sober+Trevally).

Old 03-21-12, 10:49 AM   #855
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Thank you for your reply Trevally. My remarks within your text:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevally. View Post
SOmething like this

The Final Year (black may) must be last in the campaign, but MG could fit in as above.

It looks good, but in my opinion -if possible- the new campaign would be more in line with the Mare Nostrum/Battle of Mediterranean/Distant Waters thread, since it seems to me that monsun operations should be a logical consequence of Pacific and South African objectives contained in Distant Waters. If we succeed in them, we go straight to Monsun Gruppe campaign, otherwise we get back in the main line, with the Turning Point campaign. In this way Distant Waters would be a preamble, containing pre-Monsun operations (http://uboat.net/ops/monsun2.htm). Side effect is that by moving MG on top, we are stuffing Mare Nostrum thread with many campaigns, while the Western Approaches/Arctic Convoys thread becomes comparatively poor. The only solution would be to think of another new campaign to be put where you placed MG!
As for MG campaign starting date (if you accept my idea we should change it, as the one proposed by you would overlap with the en date of Distant Waters), the end of march 1943 could be an option (DW finishes on 15th of february, so we would get time for a 6 weeks long leave ). Actually the first U-boat patroling the area was U-178, leaving Bordeaux for Penang on 28/03/1943, followed by U-511 on 10/05/1943. Though scoring some "tonnage" success during their passages, these boats were sent to far east for logistics tasks and for establishing the German base in Penang. Actually the first real wave of "Monsun Boats" leaving european ports for Penang happened between june and july of the same year (this one could be another option).

This could be set for all the new layers to be within this campaign only so as not to effect any other campaign performance due to more layers added.

Indeed, we don't want to overheat our GPU with traffic unneded during other campaigns

The only thing I am not sure if I can do is to place bunkers where they would need to be (have not tried before)

No idea here. The main base should be Penang (Malaysia). Other small bases, used for repairs and refuelling were established also in Kobe (Japan) Singapore, Surabaya and Jakarta (both in Indonesia). Due to increasing resupply difficulties in Penang, the base of Jakarta acquired increasing importance, for its better acces to oil.

Using VII type boats - this could be set for VIIC or C41 and if we ever get new types, they could be added to the campaign easily.

The only problem I see with the use of VIIC U-boats could be their relatively short range if compared with type IX. This fact coupled with the long patrols you would expect in such a campaign and the small number of friendly bases for resupplies, could end our passages in high seas
gap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awesome, campaign, graf zeppelin, harbour, new bases, new ships, ohii