SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-06-21, 04:02 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
ok, thanks for the fix.
unfortunately, i cannot go back as that save file has been deleted.
i wonder if i can unload the SJ, save, exit, re-enter, reload, and then upgrade. do you think: a. can it be done? and b. will it fix the problem?

Ah. Exactly why I keep all my in port saves just prior to departing patrol throughout my career, never know if need to go back since SH 4 is so touchy sometimes. Learned this after losing a great career due to this same bug and another in Tambor due to gun positions not showing up properly after upgrade.

Well there is no way I know of to remove the SJ radar when sim is running (always thought it was silly you can only add equipment to the slots, not remove) but perhaps could try to edit it from the ActivePlayerUnit, if you are familiar with editing those files. That is how I was able to refit my Salmon class after conning tower upgrade in 1943 did not give me the gun slots.

Would also need to return the conning tower to the previous version. Save, reload, end patrol, save again. Then exit go back to the activeplayerunit, add the new conning tower, save. Start SH 4 back up, then add the SJ radar and start a patrol to see if it works.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-21, 05:12 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Ah. Exactly why I keep all my in port saves just prior to departing patrol throughout my career, never know if need to go back since SH 4 is so touchy sometimes. Learned this after losing a great career due to this same bug and another in Tambor due to gun positions not showing up properly after upgrade.

Well there is no way I know of to remove the SJ radar when sim is running (always thought it was silly you can only add equipment to the slots, not remove) but perhaps could try to edit it from the ActivePlayerUnit, if you are familiar with editing those files. That is how I was able to refit my Salmon class after conning tower upgrade in 1943 did not give me the gun slots.

Would also need to return the conning tower to the previous version. Save, reload, end patrol, save again. Then exit go back to the activeplayerunit, add the new conning tower, save. Start SH 4 back up, then add the SJ radar and start a patrol to see if it works.
yeah, well, i am a couple of missions past the upgrade so no radar for us.

and.......you mention above that i would need to revert back to the early conning tower.
that is more complex than i can say. i've had some bad experiences trying to fix the conning tower upgrade issues in the past and one way to screw up a career is to try and revert.

however, i have a counter-counteroffer to your counteroffer. have you read the Dark Waters documentation on the automatic upgrade problem and when it hits we have to perform some fairly counterintuitive things? i wonder if that fix might not work in this situation. Start a new career in July/August 1942 with the same boat using the same base and then copy-paste my old crew into the new ActivePlayerUnit file. i think it could work. your thoughts?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-21, 05:47 PM   #3
astvitaliy1982
Lieutenant

Uploads: 0

Большое спасибо)
astvitaliy1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-21, 07:42 PM   #4
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by astvitaliy1982 View Post
Большое спасибо)
? Will need a response in English
Old 12-08-21, 09:03 PM   #5
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

radar

Quote:
? Will need a response in English
‎Thank you very much)‎

Thanks to edge browser, having a translation matrix, built in...

M. M.

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 12-08-21 at 09:41 PM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-21, 05:31 PM   #6
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
yeah, well, i am a couple of missions past the upgrade so no radar for us.

and.......you mention above that i would need to revert back to the early conning tower.
that is more complex than i can say. i've had some bad experiences trying to fix the conning tower upgrade issues in the past and one way to screw up a career is to try and revert.

however, i have a counter-counteroffer to your counteroffer. have you read the Dark Waters documentation on the automatic upgrade problem and when it hits we have to perform some fairly counterintuitive things? i wonder if that fix might not work in this situation. Start a new career in July/August 1942 with the same boat using the same base and then copy-paste my old crew into the new ActivePlayerUnit file. i think it could work. your thoughts?

I have not read the darkwaters guide. Your could try the copy and paste into a new career see if it works, that can get quite complicated and corrupt your file that because may not match other things in other files.
Old 12-07-21, 06:00 PM   #7
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
I have not read the darkwaters guide. Your could try the copy and paste into a new career see if it works, that can get quite complicated and corrupt your file that because may not match other things in other files.
yes, it can.
well, we learned a long time ago that discretion is the better part of valor.
so we write this episode off as new technology that breaks down a lot, which it did in 1942.
maybe i wait for mission-next when i am offered an upgrade to a newer boat and i take the offer and get surface detection radar with the new boat.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-21, 06:42 PM   #8
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
yes, it can.
well, we learned a long time ago that discretion is the better part of valor.
so we write this episode off as new technology that breaks down a lot, which it did in 1942.
maybe i wait for mission-next when i am offered an upgrade to a newer boat and i take the offer and get surface detection radar with the new boat.

Well that can work. Necessary as radar is, especially in later half of the war with the convoys, it is sometimes more fun to not have it. Can still do pretty well in early period of war without it. Also, perhaps consider it training for having the real life discretion of US submarines, because in forthcoming version of TMO, some land based radar units and observation posts/naval bases will have radar detection as well as aircraft and a few later in war.

I do wish I could have had the work around etc ready for this release but at time of release it was not a sure thing. I have it ironed out now, not a fix, but a work around so player avoid the issues you suffered.