SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-15-20, 02:49 PM   #766
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Naw - It will be the same afterwards... Use the Task Manager and Performance Meter stuff to track it down. It is probably that confounded "worm / hi-jack / spam" preventer stuff they have that lets their krrraapp in, but supposedly blocks everything else, and "scans" all of your files while in use... You must "kill" processes and turn some things off... that way, next update, Windows can turn them all back on for you and ~really~ irritate you!...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-20, 12:04 PM   #767
WH4K
Frogman

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0

I tried CCleaner, uninstalling stuff, you name it, nothing worked. I don't use third-party antivirus software for exactly the reasons you mention.

Reinstalling Windows seems to have done the trick. So far.

I've been meaning to for almost 2 years anyway. Just avoided it because it's kind of a hassle.

Vanilla SH4 is is no longer showing the video hitching!

Waiting on another couple games to finish installing so I can check them out too.

Something I noticed: "plain" SH4 does not look all that great at 2560x1440! The textures in FotRS:UE are much prettier.
Old 04-16-20, 02:19 PM   #768
wzartz
Watch

Downloads: 37

Idk if its already in vanilla or from this mod... I got myself an erratic torpedo 0_o almost poop myself when i checked F6 i was like "why the heck this one doing nascar near my girl?!" go straight back emergency Fast!!

Btw i started playing sh4 again after long hiatus from 1.0.1g now go straight to this version, my feeling it is much stable than before, thnx for making this mod devs

Sorry for my grammar tho xD
wzartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-20, 02:57 PM   #769
propbeanie

It is in Stock also. According to the settings in the torpedo sim file, you will have a 0.5% chance of having a circle runner each time you shoot a torpedo. It's what sank the Wahoo and Tullibee and others that I cannot remember now... I have been playing the game since it came out, and I have probably had a good dozen circle runners over the years, and seemingly is more than a 0.5% chance...

Old 04-16-20, 02:59 PM   #770
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

The USS Tang was also sunk by a circle-runner as well. I have never ever encountered a circle-runner in any of my SH4 careers.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-20, 03:17 PM   #771
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beast View Post
The USS Tang was also sunk by a circle-runner as well. I have never ever encountered a circle-runner in any of my SH4 careers.
Good Lord! Me and my memory - how embarrassing!... I meant the Tang... O'Kane first served on the Wahoo, but sank in the Tang when a Mark 18 circled on them! Mush Morton and the Wahoo were lost apparently to a combined air and ship depth charge attack when coming out of the Sea of Japan... sheesh! Look-out for me! Thanks for the correction, the beast!

Old 04-16-20, 03:42 PM   #772
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Good Lord! Me and my memory - how embarrassing!...
From what I recall, O'Kane was a big proponent of the theory that Wahoo was victim of a circle-runner.
Old 04-16-20, 08:56 PM   #773
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Yikes! Sinking after a combined attack of planes and ships?! That is a helluva way to die. And all of us just sitting behind our computer screen reloading the game when something goes wrong.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Old 04-17-20, 10:13 AM   #774
WH4K
Frogman

Downloads: 56

Probably a dumb idea, but is it supposed to be possible to play a U-boat career with FotRS:UE installed?

I've been trying, but I keep getting crashes and graphical glitches. Wondering if I need to roll back to vanilla SH4:UBM.
Old 04-17-20, 11:33 AM   #775
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

You should be running Dark Waters for U-Boot.
Old 04-17-20, 01:42 PM   #776
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO Re: Not sure what to send where, so posting here...

Unsure of exactly where to post, if this info is a bug issue, a troubleshooting one or what exactly, so posting here:

Ok, with regards to in game.. noticed that on island of Formosa, that on the southern end, roughly SW direction.. there is a city/port missing named Takao.

The in game mouse pointer is near where the city & port in question should be on the map

With it missing, not sure if this would be a bug, or a trouble shooting issue, or if it is just something programed in that it will show up around 1942'ish...

As it stands, started a career after the attack on PH, and boat I'm asigned is HQ'ed out of Manilla. Got 1st order to do a 10 day sweep of Kowloon aka Hong Kong, finished that & am now stationed off of Formosa to 'engage shipping' in the area 'at my discretion'.

Did note a odd occurance right after completing the 10 day patrol around Kowloon though...

Right after completing that task & after I got the message to go to 'Convoy College' & await further orders (which when I got nearby the star marking the area to go to I received the order to engage shipping at my discretion)
I came across a merchant (Med. Modern Split merchant? or was that last Transport, don't have game up right now.. but any way...)

I engaged & sunk it, yet... did NOT have it show up in the log that I sank it... much less, have a ship sunk icon appear on the map showing where I sunk it, either.

So, with that, not sure if this would be a bug, or a trouble shooting issue or what...

Sub I am in command of, is 1 of the 1's that would be selectable with being based out of Manila at the start of the war, and would include pic of it but did NOT notice the missing icon or the log credit, until well after I was away from the area in question & by that time... well.. too late to do so by then... sorry

As previously mentioned, at the start of this, not sure of which way to direct this, but know that I did send to the team, an email detailing this & asking for guidance as to how to address this, meaning do I send this here or here aka bug shoot or troubleshoot land.

p.s.

Including, (I hope it attaches correctly) a screen shot of the area of Formosa in question.

Old 04-17-20, 02:36 PM   #777
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Not sure if I will be of much help but anyways, there is a port called Hualien that has the port in game, but it is not marked on the map. I had the same issue basically but I ignore it.

Old 04-17-20, 04:57 PM   #778
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

April 12 1943, USS Wahoo, mission is to patrol Truck Lagoon for 5 days, shouldn't that be Truk Lagoon?.
Old 04-18-20, 01:59 AM   #779
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO Re: Demise of U.S.S. Sealion SS-195...

Ok, the sub I got assigned in the earlier post was a Sargo class sub, SS-195 U.S.S Sealion.

Loss was to a IJN Corvette Canamura(spelling??? can edit this info of ship's name & class, after I start a new career, will keep the dead officer career around..) not a destroyer, but I digress..

pumped 2 torps into it, both hit as the range was just inside the outer compass rose surrounding my sub... so about a range of 1k to 1.5k

Area of loss was off to the E side slightly of NE roughly , of Taipei, Formosa

Those 2 hits which I saw were direct dead on hits, massive explosion, yet... that ship like shrugged them off & swung about & destroyed me... despite my going deep to 300, depth below keel was 359, after I swung around to heading 270 from base course of 235-240 (may have been 240-245'ish...)

Had no chance to take a screenie of the ship, since i'm dead and I go by dead is dead & not going to reload that career...

What was that ship, the Superman of the IJN...???

Old 04-18-20, 04:43 AM   #780
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Ok, the sub I got assigned in the earlier post was a Sargo class sub, SS-195 U.S.S Sealion.

Loss was to a IJN Corvette Canamura(spelling??? can edit this info of ship's name & class, after I start a new career, will keep the dead officer career around..) not a destroyer, but I digress..

pumped 2 torps into it, both hit as the range was just inside the outer compass rose surrounding my sub... so about a range of 1k to 1.5k

Area of loss was off to the E side slightly of NE roughly , of Taipei, Formosa

Those 2 hits which I saw were direct dead on hits, massive explosion, yet... that ship like shrugged them off & swung about & destroyed me... despite my going deep to 300, depth below keel was 359, after I swung around to heading 270 from base course of 235-240 (may have been 240-245'ish...)

Had no chance to take a screenie of the ship, since i'm dead and I go by dead is dead & not going to reload that career...

What was that ship, the Superman of the IJN...???

Hello Mad Mardigan,

I think I have found the problem, the zon file seems to be setup incorrectly.
If your torps are set to explode under the hull, the damage model stops before the end of the hull, so the torps explode, and nothing would happen to the ship.
Please bare with us, as we try and fix it...