SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-08-20, 02:01 AM   #721
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Default Movie issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beast View Post
Yes my game does work fine, the occasional CTD but all is well.
Hello the_beast.

Can you navigate to the folder your FotRSU is located and goto
Data > Movies > Intro & inside you should have:
Intro.wmv
Intro.wmv
Can you run each file from that folder and see if they work please, without the game running...
Old 04-08-20, 09:58 AM   #722
LCQ_SH
Lieutenant

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 0
wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The dud rate is supposed to be between the TMO and Stock levels, but it does not appear to be there anymore... In the meantime, make certain that you have the duds box ticked from the Main Menu, gameplay options, but also from the captain's office, wooden radio console to the left, then gameplay options. Also, for whatever reason, the game seems to "save" all of the duds for one string in a row, such that you might have a boatload with only one dud one trip, then the next trip, the first six you shoot are bad, the next 3 good, and then the next five are bad, then back to a streak of good ones. An add-in mod is planned to increase the dud rate for those that desire that.
Hey, It's me again bothering

Great, and what about the depth control? Is it the same thing with that one?
LCQ_SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 10:07 AM   #723
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I was looking at the file I started to set-up to change some of the settings yesterday, and from the looks of things, you should have depth-keeping trouble from the beginning until mid-1943. There should also be impact pistol issues with roughly 90 degree hits not detonating, and less that 28 degrees deflecting off and not detonating, both until late 1943, but the slight angle "bounce" for the duration (the pistol detonator does not strike the ship). Then there is the magnetic detonator, that should have several various failures, such as detonating as soon as it arms, all the way through never detonating at all, and those percentages fluctuate throughout the war. There will always be magnetic pistol failures. This is also affected by wave height, such that the rougher the weather, the more duds from premature detonations. There really should be more failures though, going by what's in the file now, but we'll do some experimenting and see what's up...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 11:54 AM   #724
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

I only have one of the two movie intros. The first one works fine.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 12:08 PM   #725
propbeanie

I think s7rikeback meant to name the "logo.wmv" with the "intro.wmv" file. If those files play outside of the game just fine, then when you installed the game, had you installed the DirectX v9.0c ~and~ the codecs? Refer to the "Install Notes For the Various Versions of SH4 in Windows.pdf" in the Support folder of FotRSU mod/game for information, specifically on "Page 5" for the dialog box example from when installing the game. If you did not do that, you would probably be better re-doing your install, since recent Windows updates make it next to impossible to do this from the User's account, for whatever reason. The install process apparently has proper authority to muck up your computer, while you do not... If you did do that while installing initially, then we'll have to wait on s7rikeback to come back up for air from his modding flurry, which is in-process as we speak. I really do not want to interrupt his inspired tweakings...

Old 04-09-20, 12:54 PM   #726
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

I didn't install DirectX 9.0, I would've thought that the mod had that already installed. My computer is pretty new. I do not have the game in a UAC directory. Its in C:/Steam/Steamapps/Common/Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific/MODS/ Fall of the Rising Sun. I would want the option to "reinstall" to be a last resort. But I think I can stand not having the movie intros. The game plays fine and its not like the game is unplayable.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Old 04-09-20, 01:23 PM   #727
WH4K
Frogman

Downloads: 56
Default Data/Shaders/VolumetricFog/VolumetricFogPS.fx

I can get FotRS UE v1.004 to launch, but I can't actually get to my boat.

The screen goes black and freezes just after the dialog that normally says something like "Please wait...". Then I get a bunch of error dialogs like this one:

Code:
---------------------------
Program:
Data/Shaders/VolumetricFog/VolumetricFogPS.fx
OK   
And I have to kill the game in Task Manager, can't play.

Any ideas?

Not sure if it matters, but I'm running SH4:WOP + U-boat missions off Steam on Windows 10 Pro. Plain SH4 1.5 works fine, driving either US sub or U-boat.
Old 04-09-20, 02:05 PM   #728
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Do you have any other mods enabled than FotRS?
If not, I would suggest a complete reinstall.
The game version has to be 1.5

Old 04-09-20, 02:15 PM   #729
WH4K
Frogman

No other mods. Fresh install of SH4 + UBM off Steam (U-boat missions is SH4 1.5).
Old 04-09-20, 05:03 PM   #730
nionios
Sparky

Downloads: 82
Default Rare sub , rare issue

I (Gato class) had an encounter with a Kaidai sub on 24-2-1943 , 135nm south of Tokyo. Wind speed 15m/s and when I approached at 5500 yds the sub sunk.When I first detected the Kaidai it had medium speed constantly reducing to very very slow till sunk.

Additional mod: 901_strategic_map_symbols
nionios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-20, 06:30 PM   #731
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beast View Post
I didn't install DirectX 9.0, I would've thought that the mod had that already installed. My computer is pretty new. I do not have the game in a UAC directory. Its in C:/Steam/Steamapps/Common/Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific/MODS/ Fall of the Rising Sun. I would want the option to "reinstall" to be a last resort. But I think I can stand not having the movie intros. The game plays fine and its not like the game is unplayable.
My bad there... Yes I missed the "intro" part.

You will not need to reinstall... go here to this Microsoft Site DirectX 9.0c End-User Runtime. I always run this package after I install - Just-in-case.
But please, folks, let the game install its files, but I would agree that files like Abobe Reader, Gamespy "is that SH3 or SH4?" & Windows Media files could be safely ignored... Everything else is a must have.

Old 04-09-20, 06:44 PM   #732
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
I can get FotRS UE v1.004 to launch, but I can't actually get to my boat.

The screen goes black and freezes just after the dialog that normally says something like "Please wait...". Then I get a bunch of error dialogs like this one:

Code:
Program:
Data/Shaders/VolumetricFog/VolumetricFogPS.fx
OK   
And I have to kill the game in Task Manager, can't play.

Any ideas?

Not sure if it matters, but I'm running SH4:WOP + U-boat missions off Steam on Windows 10 Pro. Plain SH4 1.5 works fine, driving either US sub or U-boat.
It sounds like you are trying to run it through the SH4 v1.3 on Steam, instead of the v1.5. If I remember correctly from another user the other day, there are two shortcuts for the game. Pick the one for the UBoats instead. You might have to "switch sides" one you are in the game, but that is the v1.5 of the Wolves of the Pacific...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nionios View Post
I (Gato class) had an encounter with a Kaidai sub on 24-2-1943 , 135nm south of Tokyo. Wind speed 15m/s and when I approached at 5500 yds the sub sunk.When I first detected the Kaidai it had medium speed constantly reducing to very very slow till sunk.

Additional mod: 901_strategic_map_symbols
When you see an enemy sub "sink" without help from one of your torpedoes, HIDE THYSELF! The enemy subs have torpedoes also, and they are not afraid to use them...

Old 04-09-20, 07:40 PM   #733
WH4K
Frogman

No, I only have one sh4.exe, presumably v1.5 since I now have the U-boat Missions installed.

Yes there are two shortcuts (one for regular SH4, one for the U-boat edition), but from what I can tell they do exactly the same thing.

FotRS does run now and I can go on patrol, but I'm having another very random bug. Torpedoes won't fire. At all.

Can't find any discussion of anyone else having this problem, so far. Nothing in the documentation. Strange.
Old 04-09-20, 08:02 PM   #734
propbeanie

In the game's root folder (whatever you installed into) are the pictures of the old reference cards, updated for FotRSU by CapnScurvy. Look for "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Back.jpg" and "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Front.jpg". On the "Back" page, it says to press and hold the <Alt> key and then press the <Enter> key to fire the torpedo. This prevents inadvertent firing of same... - not that I've ever done that, of course... - Use the <W> key to cycle through the fore tubes, and the <E> key to cycle through the aft tubes. Use the <Q> key to open the tubes, prior to firing, else any firing solution is ruined. It is imperative that any skipper familiarize themselves with the proper function of their submarine, especially Crash Dive (<Ctrl><D>), Ahead Flank (number <5> key) and Hard to Port or Starboard (the "bracket" keys <[> and <]>. Evasive maneuvers, in other words... - The use of the greater than and less than signify a "key" to press... (ie: < space >)

Old 04-09-20, 08:46 PM   #735
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

OK I installed the Directx 9.0 installer and I ran the .exe only for a message to pop up, saying " You must be running Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows 2000, Windows XP or Windows 2003 Server Family to install Directx9.0"