SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-16-20, 12:21 PM   #601
granite00
Torpedoman

Downloads: 162
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
Are you sure you selected Manual Targeting? You must select that for career missions while in the Office by “pulling” out the Book on the bookshelf and viewing Game Options.
Yes, 100% realism and manual targeting is always selected.
Old 03-16-20, 01:33 PM   #602
adrians69
Engineer

Downloads: 299

Cap'n Scurvy did a OTC v1.5 mod that fixed the stadimeter problem that worked with TMO. It made the stadimeter accurate and marked the measuring points on all the ships in the RM. Can that be included in the FotRS?

Click here to view my MS Flight Simulator X, Silent Hunter, Space Shuttle Mission Simulator, X Plane 11 & Train Simulator 2020 screenshots!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adrians69/
adrians69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-20, 01:48 PM   #603
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by granite00 View Post
Yes, 100% realism and manual targeting is always selected.
See post #592, and use the MOD P Konrad show the link for. The only time I had the happen (limit of 1300 on distance wheel) was when I forgot to select Manual Targeting.

BTW, that mod makes manual distance selection and AOB setting much easier.
Old 03-16-20, 02:18 PM   #604
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
...do you have your JSGME activated mods list? I am trying to re-create this, and have failed thus far.

Don't use JSME. Installed SH4, updated with 1.5 patch, added FOTRS. No other mods. Fear they might corrupt game.
Michael Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-20, 02:24 PM   #605
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrians69 View Post
Cap'n Scurvy did a OTC v1.5 mod that fixed the stadimeter problem that worked with TMO. It made the stadimeter accurate and marked the measuring points on all the ships in the RM. Can that be included in the FotRS?

Yes, OTC, please, please. Or, SCAF from TMO, please, please. Both work nicely. Add that and I will be your best friend, forever.
Old 03-16-20, 05:15 PM   #606
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wood View Post
Don't use JSME. Installed SH4, updated with 1.5 patch, added FOTRS. No other mods. Fear they might corrupt game.
You do not use JSGME to install the mod?

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-20, 05:17 PM   #607
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSA_VA View Post
I am having trouble installing the pack. It is a brand new SH4 game with no other mods at all except the JSGME installer. Here is the text of the error message:

Error: The system cannot find the path specified.
Cannot create E:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Silent Hunter 4 Gold Edition\MODS\100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEditio n_v1.004.a_EN\Data\Campaigns\Campaign\PatrolObject ives\Insertion Coastwatcher Vella Lavella\Insertion Coastwatcher Vella Lavella.mis
Irrecoverable Error: Extract operation failed.

Error code: 0
Error description:

Do not install the game to program files. This may be your largest issue ... your naming convention may be your next largest.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-20, 08:56 PM   #608
P.Konrad
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Capt.seamus and other inspired. OTC range dial for FOTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.seamus View Post
Great mod, really enjoying it. Any chance we could get a dial to manually enter range, like TMO I believe. I mostly use the historical dick O'Kane method and sometimes for constant bearing method a manual dial would be useful.
Warning Standimeter numbers are not 100% accurate, double check the target distance with position keeper.

I use the attack map to make sure my solution is accurate.

Captains, I saw what Capt.seamus stated and I searched for OTC range dial for FOTRS, no deal yet, CaptainScurvy is working on it. I would love the range dial too but my programming experience is limited. Anyhow I found a thread on manual inputs for the range dial on the Standimeter. Input Target Distance on TBT by ottos.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...ight=dials.cfg

The Standimeter can be very annoying, I tried to get Input Target Distance on TBT working but failed, tried again with a cut and paste, deleting semicolons and bingo, it works.

I tried Easy AOB_FOTRS + Input Target Distance on TBT for about six hours on 16th of March 2020 and had had no problems with manual targeting on (2 CA's, 1 CL, 1 DD and a merchant, 90% realism, external views + map contacts on). You can input the range without lock on. A pretty good substitute for OTC range dial with Windows magnifier. I am not the author, I just combined the two mods, all credit to Nicolas & ottos. Thank you propbeanie and the FOTRS dev team. I am glad I could be of help.

Easy AOB_FOTRS + Input Target Distance on TBT
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=5579

Windows magnifier check it out, Control + Alt + mouse wheel to zoom in and out.

Last edited by P.Konrad; 03-17-20 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Bold and underlined text added comment x2
Old 03-16-20, 09:34 PM   #609
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrians69 View Post
I do not have CapnScurvy's skill or patience to do so, much less his permission. He had talked previously of maybe attempting to do it, but it is a LOT of work, due to all of the ships in FotRSU, not failing to mention all of the differences between the submarines themselves in FotRSU versus TMO. Hopefully, CapnScurvy will get the urge to do so. Until then, we'll try to get more accurate "mast" (or other) heights. The artwork for the RM shouldn't be too difficult.

@ P.Konrad, I did play with that set-up today, and it is fun. I actually got one hit out of four on a ship - and not myself - noodling earlier, and I didn't really try to be too accurate. I did miss behind with the last 3 shots, so I was a little short on my range, or maybe I missed the speed by a pinch... anyway, good stuff! I do like that combination.

If anybody wonders about the "454..." numbering on it and the "454_EasyAOB" mod, you use one or the other, not both, hence they are both numbered "454"...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-20, 09:44 PM   #610
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Default PConrad Response

P.Conrad posted, "! tried Easy AOB_FOTRS + Input Target Distance on TBT for about six hours on 16th of March 2020 and had had no problems with manual targeting on (2 CA's, 1 CL, 1 DD and a merchant, 90% realism, external views + map contacts on). You can input the range without lock on. A pretty good substitute for OTC range dial with Windows magnifier."

If one has map updates on. one does not need the stadimeter or sonar to establish an absolutely perfect firing solution.

Goto map, mark location of target ship and start clock. Wait three minutes. Mark new location of target ship. Measure distance between two marks and divide result by 100, giving speed in knots. Connect the two marks with line, giving course. Set up constant bearing attack. When target ship passes periscope crosshair, fire torpedoes. If target ship maintains speed and course, automatic hit at any range.

This is why I never complain about using automatic targeting. This method more accurate than automatic targeting, which works poorly against zigzagging ships. Constant bearing attack scores hits against zigzagging ships. They just hit with a differing angle of attack.

If map updates are not on, then OTC or SCAF needed badly. Otherwise the only way to hit, if one lacks radar, is to close to range of 600 yards or so and fire a spread or trust random guess.

Last edited by Michael Wood; 03-16-20 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-16-20, 11:29 PM   #611
P.Konrad
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Map ruler

To Michael Wood and anyone else who might care.

See the above example of the map rulers in the red box. I have draw a red line thru 1 minute, 250 yards, 7 Knots.

That means

Time measured = 1 minute

Distance traveled = 250 yards

Speed = 7 knots.

You can measure speed in thirty seconds if you do the math and judge the fraction of the 50 yard increments.

OTC look like a lot of work, programming is tedious. Lot's of people want it (OTC) but not enough to learn programming and put the time in (me included). PK

Last edited by P.Konrad; 03-16-20 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Fixed grammer
Old 03-16-20, 11:30 PM   #612
laurenh8916
Nub

Downloads: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotRSU Mod Team View Post
  1. (+) Location: from Pearl Harbor to Japan home waters Date(s): Late December '41 to March '42 Assignment(s): Player is assigned home waters off Japan, East and south of Kyushu / Honshu Circumstances: Loss of guages (1 report) unable to reload Save (2 reports) in Porpoise and Tambor boats - unable to replicate, but issues have been found Fix?: No, file(s) being edited to comply - in process Resolved?: No

Just wanted to add another report of this, my saves are getting corrupted enroute to this mission. I'm in a Tambor, based at and departing from Pearl Harbor, on my second patrol. I got orders on February 23, 1942 to proceed to Area 4, with a departure date of March 24th. My initial save 50 miles from Pearl Harbor isn't corrupted, but every save I've tried to make enroute to Japan after that has been corrupt. I've done three runs there to check, and each time loading the saves after that point crashes the game. If it'll help, I'm happy to do some more testing to see if it's something repeatedly triggered at a certain distance into the route or anything like that. Also happy to upload the last working save or give any more info that might be relevant.

Specs and all the stuff asked for in the first post:

i5-8300H, GTX-1050Ti 4GB, 8GB RAM, 1TB 5400 RPM MSI laptop HDD, W10 64 bit, 150GB free space, old save folder emptied, SH4 installed in Steam directory outside of Program Files.

Thanks devs! Sucks to run into a bug, but the mod is amazing, and the work you've put into it is really appreciated.
laurenh8916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-20, 11:47 PM   #613
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

laurenh8916!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-20, 09:07 AM   #614
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenh8916 View Post
Just wanted to add another report of this, my saves are getting corrupted enroute to this mission. I'm in a Tambor, based at and departing from Pearl Harbor, on my second patrol. I got orders on February 23, 1942 to proceed to Area 4, with a departure date of March 24th. My initial save 50 miles from Pearl Harbor isn't corrupted, but every save I've tried to make enroute to Japan after that has been corrupt. I've done three runs there to check, and each time loading the saves after that point crashes the game. If it'll help, I'm happy to do some more testing to see if it's something repeatedly triggered at a certain distance into the route or anything like that. Also happy to upload the last working save or give any more info that might be relevant.

Specs and all the stuff asked for in the first post:

i5-8300H, GTX-1050Ti 4GB, 8GB RAM, 1TB 5400 RPM MSI laptop HDD, W10 64 bit, 150GB free space, old save folder emptied, SH4 installed in Steam directory outside of Program Files.

Thanks devs! Sucks to run into a bug, but the mod is amazing, and the work you've put into it is really appreciated.
Let me ask you this: Do you stop at Midway enroute and top-off the fuel bunkers? I have actually lost a "suspect" along the coast of Japan, so I'm on the hunt for another...

Also, as Aktungbby says: "Welcome to SubSim!"

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-20, 07:05 PM   #615
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

My saves are getting corrupted enroute to this mission. I'm in a porpoise after narwhal based at and departing from Pearl Harbor, on my second patrol..
After i git to japan and sank sone ten ships couldn't load my savea anymore it ctd

I met my junsen 1 wgen out of ammo, tried to sink it with the .50, git sunk by its twin guns though i hadto be realky close for it to fire at me.. would be nucer at two miles...

Also sank a sen taka

Nixe to see my subs from thw jyunsenB mod as enemies!

Regards

K

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote