Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-01-10, 04:50 PM   #91
etheberge
Watch Officer

Downloads: 604
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP View Post
Another graphics issue similar to the moon - this time I'm guessing with the way earth's curvature is modeled.

Ships at a distance (in this case, about 7km) look submerged through optics.

Hopefully that's also an easy fix.
Nice catch for this and the moon thing. And your screens are awesome.

11 War Patrols / 56 ships sunk or damaged for 212,022 tons
Zero casualties throughout the war
Scuttled on 8 May, 1945 in Sonderburg Bay, after German surrender
etheberge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 04:58 PM   #92
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Thanks!

Ugh, now I'm having some obvious issues. The crew have become awfully unresponsive. They refuse to go to battle stations or man guns.

I'm looking at it and I see that morale is at 0. Why? No idea. I haven't done anything wrong. It was fine the day before. All I did was order "Silent Running" and some manuevers a couple of times. But wait a second, my crew won't do anything if they are in a bad mood, including go out and fight? What kind of a sissy boat is that?

I hope that's not what it is, but whatever it is, it better get fixed. Some "abilities" need to have no "cost" - otherwise how can I even operate?

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 05:00 PM   #93
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Thanks!

Ugh, now I'm having some obvious issues. The crew have become awfully unresponsive. They refuse to go to battle stations or man guns.

I'm looking at it and I see that morale is at 0. Why? No idea. I haven't done anything wrong. It was fine the day before. All I did was order "Silent Running" and some manuevers a couple of times. But wait a second, my crew won't do anything if they are in a bad mood, including go out and fight? What kind of a sissy boat is that?

I hope that's not what it is, but whatever it is, it better get fixed. Some "abilities" need to have no "cost" - otherwise how can I even operate?
You have to go out and collect 10 giggle berrys and give them to the cook. The cook will make giggleberry soup level 4 and improve the ships moral.
Old 03-01-10, 05:03 PM   #94
Elder-Pirate
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Another graphics issue similar to the moon - this time I'm guessing with the way earth's curvature is modeled.

Hopefully that's also an easy fix.

Hope this is taken care of:

Can't see where your going let alone where you've been.
Old 03-01-10, 05:03 PM   #95
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamWake View Post
You have to go out and collect 10 giggle berrys and give them to the cook. The cook will make giggleberry soup level 4 and improve the ships moral.
Also try walking through the ship and patting everyone on the bum once or twice.

It doesn't help, of course - it's just that I like picturing it in my mind.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 05:07 PM   #96
CCIP
Navy Seal

Well, I may have over-reacted a little. It may be an issue with my own command keys that I need to review. It seems like there are uh... two kinds of silent running/battle stations in the game (one called up through "special abilities", the other being something else entirely), and it may be that my keys are addressing the wrong kinds. I might just need to disable this for now.

However I still can't get my crew on the guns.

-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
Old 03-01-10, 05:14 PM   #97
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Downloads: 362
Uploads: 30

Quote:
Well, I may have over-reacted a little. It may be an issue with my own command keys that I need to review. It seems like there are uh... two kinds of silent running/battle stations in the game (one called up through "special abilities", the other being something else entirely), and it may be that my keys are addressing the wrong kinds. I might just need to disable this for now.

However I still can't get my crew on the guns.
All the old keys are there but whether they function the same is to be determined....
ddrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 05:18 PM   #98
CCIP
Navy Seal

Yeah. And what's worse, the function is there too, but potentially not working right.

Had to remove those keys from my mod, see if that helps me...

-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
Old 03-01-10, 05:31 PM   #99
CCIP
Navy Seal

Nope, no such luck. I think I've pinned it down to morale after all. After I reloaded my save game, my crew's morale is inexplicably at 0. It may have 0'd after I stopped for resupply at helgoland - maybe along with my supplies being reset to 100, my morale reset to 0. It shouldn't be - and the stupid thing is, since I'd chatted to all of them before resupplying, for now it seems like there's nothing more than have to say, so I can't "buy" any morale that way.

Ironically, my cook and bosun both have abilities that can raise morale. But those abilities require morale to be non-0 to use.

So the bottom line is, crew without morale just fails to do anything. I understand why they weren't reporting contacts - apparently they feel so crappy they've become blind with depression.

Oh my goodness Ubisoft, really? Please fix this. I'm all for morale being a serious, even decisive factor in the game and I applaud the crew management aspects. But this is just ridiculous. I'm stuck on a boat where the crew won't even go up to their stations. That's completely unacceptable, but it's the only thing I can explain this with. In single missions, identical boats have no problem manning their guns; and it seems like the only difference here is indeed morale. Abilities like that as well as crew's basic functions (like spotting ships properly) absolutely cannot be tied THAT closely to morale. Morale should also never randomly reset or go down to "0" in this fashion.

-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
Old 03-01-10, 05:35 PM   #100
Safe-Keeper
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 11

Quote:
I smell cool feature. Is it possible that the game actually simulates a round planet by rendering distant ships below the waterline? If so, it'lll probably look awesome when patched/modded. Only viable explanation I can find, anyway.
Safe-Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 05:36 PM   #101
CCIP
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
I smell cool feature. Is it possible that the game actually simulates a round planet by rendering distant ships below the waterline? If so, it'lll probably look awesome when patched/modded. Only viable explanation I can find, anyway.
But that's how SHIII/IV did it, anyway. There was curvature in those games.

-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
Old 03-01-10, 05:52 PM   #102
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117

Quote:
So the bottom line is, crew without morale just fails to do anything. I understand why they weren't reporting contacts - apparently they feel so crappy they've become blind with depression.
From the Jan 2010 Dev Interview here's the Devs talking about morale:

Quote:
Subsim: The crew morale, I've been reading some of the questions about it, there are ways to improve the morale, like success out in the battlefield, long patrols can harder on the crew--can the crew morale force the captain to end the patrol before all the torpedoes expended? Usually in these games, the player plays until they run out of torpedoes, or fuel, but usually torpedoes, then he returns to base. Can crew morale have that impact?

Dan: Not that drastic, but you would definitely feel a problem if you stay at sea too much, and when you don't have success. So yeah, the idea is for you to do your objective and keep doing so to keep your crew happy and if you stay too much at sea, the crew will not be performing so well because of the morale. So you can tell if your crew is not serving you so well even though they will do their job. They are a military crew, they will always do their job, it's not a question if whether the submarine operate or not. But in order for your crew to excel, they will need that morale to be high, and the longer you stay at sea, the lower the morale will be.

Subsim: Dan, will the capacity for more crew morale grow over several patrols? Usually these games have what they call the green crew, the veteran crew, the elite crew, and if you're successful over several patrols, will the crews morale improve at a higher level?

Dan
: Yes, it will.

Guess not?

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 05:54 PM   #103
CCIP
Navy Seal

It's probably just an error - someone didn't check carefully enough. The boat does dive and there's still many abilities that crew members have that work properly at 0 morale. But a) why some things like guns don't; b) why the game just drops morale like that - that is definitely puzzling. Patch priority #1 if there ever was any. The fix shouldn't be difficult.

-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
Old 03-01-10, 06:00 PM   #104
609_Avatar
Watch Officer

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Thanks!

I believe I read in an interview here in one of the threads that you need to talk to your crew and give encouragement otherwise you'll get what you're experiencing. Just guessing as I don't have the game but I'm sure I read that here.

Edited to say kylania beat me to it.
Old 03-01-10, 06:04 PM   #105
CCIP
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 609_Avatar View Post
I believe I read in an interview here in one of the threads that you need to talk to your crew and give encouragement otherwise you'll get what you're experiencing. Just guessing as I don't have the game but I'm sure I read that here.
See my later posts. Yep, that's normally exactly what you do. The problem is that after the game reset my morale, it did not reset my crew's brains. The way the conversations work is that you can only raise a crew member's morale with the same dialogue ONCE. If you go and talk to them about the same thing again later, the morale won't change. You have to wait until the next set of dialogue activates to be able to encourage them again. And I'm still not sure how long that takes...

Basically, the bottom line is that it shouldn't ever reset like this.

-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)