Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-03-10, 01:06 PM   #196
The General
The Old Man

Downloads: 179
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by remowilliams View Post
SH5 Gold [purchased on Impulse] autopatched to 1.01 will no longer launch from the Impulse app and crashes with a System.IO.FileNotFoundException error. (Win7 x64 / administrator rights)

Launching gu.exe directly exhibits the same behaviour.

Launch sh5.exe directly and the game will start properly.
I hear that you're not supposed to install the game in the Program Files folder in Vista and Windows 7. Is this maybe the problem?
Old 03-03-10, 01:13 PM   #197
Sone7
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 159
Uploads: 0

Don't want to search the whole thread.. I'll just post issues spotted

After first 3 hrs:
1. somethings wrong with choosing and opening torp tubes, at least from the graphics point of view; seems inverted.
2. after loading game all the markings made earlier.. disappear. Pitty.
edit:
3. tooltips stop popping up, until next load; how am I gonna read the abilities' explanations?
Sone7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 01:25 PM   #198
remowilliams
Loader

Downloads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
I hear that you're not supposed to install the game in the Program Files folder in Vista and Windows 7. Is this maybe the problem?
I think that is an issue if you do not have administrator rights.

Any case, after I moved the install from 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5' to 'C:\Games\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5' it behaved exactly the same.
remowilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 01:46 PM   #199
jlederer
Bosun

Downloads: 47
Default Issues I've noticed

Well first of all the game seems to run OK (given I have only a 320MB video card and 2GB RAM on Win7) with all the eye-candy on. Love being able to walk through the ship, conning tower, etc. I'm only on first mission of Campaign. But I do have many issues/concerns :-)

While graphics generally good, explosions are slow, almost stop-action on my nVidia 8800GTS, I'm going to turn AA off (had it on just above zero setting on the scale - probably means "2x"?)

1) Put two torps into two different points on a tanker. Burning furiously, but continues to cruise right along. For over 1.5 hours so far (following it on 32x time compression). No signs it will stop or sink anytime soon. Saved game and reloaded. Now he's no longer burning, just puttering along as if nothing happened.
2) Cannot put waypoint on the spot campaign me to go patrol to. Can only place waypoint near there, but if I try to go to exact spot game acts as if I'm trying to select the spot.
3) Manual is just horribly lacking. Clearly not proofread - many subjects not covered at all. Refers to a keystroke chart "in the back" which isn't there.
4) Interesting that there are keys for "gear up" and "gear down" on the in-game keychart. I've never seen landing gear on a sub. Can you control planes in this game? Would better have labeled keys for functions like "hold fire on the deck gun" as others have mentioned which are clearly needed but absent.
5) Crew doesn't man deck gun (even when I first left Kiel) even when I ask the guy at the UZO (1WO?) to give the order. - EDIT - it may be that weather prevented their doing so on first sailing? And maybe morale prevented them manning it subsequently? I notice also that if my avatar attempts to "man" the deck gun, the gun crew suddenly appears to give me a hand :-) and I can even do this if the seas are too rough for the deck gun to be manned - I can go out for a wade on the deck and my deck gun crew will complain about seas being too rough to man the gun but follow me and man the gun anyway :-)
6) Inability to give orders to my men to do simple things like "report nearest sound contact". Only recourse seems to be learning 15 different hotkeys....
7) None of the gauges in the ship or on the bridge are clickable as far as I've found. Many of the gauges don't even move/register (e.g. all the identical gauges on the electrical panels in the rear of the sub). EDIT - Based on photos of real boats I think some of these gauges should show things like battery level....
8) At least at one point I saw a problem where I could try to lay-out waypoints but the course arrows did not display. Eventually cured that by moving to another station and back.
9) Need more documentation for scripting language and especially object model. I'd like to know if there is a way to mod scripted conversations with crew (and add choices to crew interaction menus) but it's sure not obvious if/how that can be done.
10) Can't figure-out how to get menu to display for modding tools off taskbar. Tried uncommenting lines in main.cfg file under My Documents and that caused prompt to appear when starting game asking if I wanted to run "menu editor" which worked when I said yes, but no ability to launch Script Manager for example.
11) Intermittent event camera switching from view of e.g. a torpedo to miniature view of room I'm in in the submarine.
12) Game sometimes pauses, screen darkens and then lightens (e.g. when switching to exterior camera). Could be video ram limitations, could be interaction with Uplay?
13) Kept being asked if I wanted to turn TDC on/off while I was trying to input manual targeting info, not sure how that's happening, maybe I'm pressing a wrong key somehow?
14) Unclear how to assign repair crews or prioritize repairs or if that's even possible - EDIT - OK, when components are damaged you see a indication in yellow on the Components screen with a percentage of max capability shown (common for damage to be very minor like 98%) and a little wrench shows what the damage control team is prioritizing and you can click something else and they'll work on that. Similar to SH3 in that respect.
15) Ramed by destroyer at periscope depth, only damage was 1% off the flack gun and hull integrity was still 100%?
16) The Type 1 and Type 3 torps look nearly identical, hard to tell what you have loaded if you don't hover over them and look for tooltips.
17) Had to save and go to sleep at 1am last night. When I reloaded today, a cargo ship I had torpedoed and was burning was gone - not that I got credit for a sinking, I think it just disappeared or somehow repaired and rejoined convoy instantly while I was sleeping?

OK, that's enough for now. Still excited about the game's potential IF Ubi fixes the bugs and assuming we can Mod the game into what it really should be (e.g. remove the speed-setting slider and replace it with a nice engine room telegraph).

Last edited by jlederer; 03-03-10 at 05:14 PM.
jlederer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 02:22 PM   #200
Highbury
The Old Man

Downloads: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by remowilliams View Post
I think that is an issue if you do not have administrator rights.
It is an issue even if you DO have administrator rights. The only way for you to avoid problems with games like SHV in Program Files is if you run your computer with UAC turned off.

The problem is that everything in Program Files is Read Only by default. You can change it while you have the window open, but the min you close it then it reverts to Read-Only. It makes modding, parsing files and many other things a hassle if not impossible.

The game itself did not default to Program Files... why did people go out of their way to point it there? This has been a known issue since Vista.
Highbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 02:27 PM   #201
jlederer
Bosun

Default Crew abilities at bottom left

Does anybody see crew ability icons at the bottom-left of the screen as shown in the screenshot on page 13 of the manual?
Old 03-03-10, 02:34 PM   #202
jlederer
Bosun

Default Sonar abilities

What good are sonar man's abilities to reveal contacts etc. if you have "No map contact update" off?

It would really nice to know what the diagrams on page 14 of the manual are trying to show (they are too small (and blurry if expanded) to read. Basically it would be nice to actually have an explanation in the manual on how to read/use the tactical interface map.
Old 03-03-10, 02:41 PM   #203
piri_reis
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP View Post
Another graphics issue similar to the moon - this time I'm guessing with the way earth's curvature is modeled.
Ships at a distance (in this case, about 7km) look submerged through optics.
Hopefully that's also an easy fix.
This is still an issue after the first patch, correct? (That's how I have it)
Also as you say moon does the same thing, when objects/contacts are further they sink in the scenery, they might have tried to simulate the curvature of earth, but bad attempt. It just happens way close (7-8km distance)

Also what km you guys think the scenery/environment is?
(Like when we had 8km,16km,20km mods for SH3)

Lt.z.S. Barbaros Hayreddin, U-35, 2nd Flot/Kiel, Type VIIB
Oct.29.1939, 2nd Patrol Eastern English Waters
Running SH5/TWOS
piri_reis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 02:44 PM   #204
jlederer
Bosun

Default Misc

1) No reloading animation for rear torpedo tube. Interior tube door always open
2) There don't seem to be any orders I can give the navigator by clicking on him?
Old 03-03-10, 02:48 PM   #205
SAMiV
Watch

Downloads: 145
Default Ubisoft Game Launcher problem

I can't seem to open/run Ubisoft Game Launcher, because SH5 installation didn't add a proper desktop shortcut on my desktop. It's missing a -prodid command in the target box or atleast that's what it tells me when i try to run it.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\UbisoftGameLauncher.exe" -prodid <---------this one needs something more.

Not sure what this prodid should be for SH5, so could someone pass that info to me? It's probably some product id for SH5 i guess.

Actually it has more commands after the .exe, which i would need to add. So, could somebody share that info, or is it different for each user? Just right click on the Ubisoft Game Launcher icon and you will see the target line there.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by SAMiV; 03-03-10 at 03:15 PM.
SAMiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 03:19 PM   #206
Mad_Mark
Sailor man

Post patch my mouse look has now gone to pieces. I have stuttering everytime i try to look left/right yet moving back and forth is still smooth.
Mad_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 03:21 PM   #207
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

I only have stuttering for the first few seconds when loading a mission or coming out of high TC, presumably due to loading game resources etc. It gets smooth quickly afterward.

What video card? nvidia by any chance? (I have serious suspicions about potential nvidia optimization issues that the devs have overlooked)

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 03:28 PM   #208
remowilliams
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highbury View Post
The game itself did not default to Program Files... why did people go out of their way to point it there? This has been a known issue since Vista.
UAC is disabled on my machine. As far as sticking it in Program Files, I agree but that seems to be where Impulse defaults the install to.
Old 03-03-10, 03:30 PM   #209
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Mark View Post
Post patch my mouse look has now gone to pieces. I have stuttering everytime i try to look left/right yet moving back and forth is still smooth.
mine randomly changes sensitivity.

sometimes i can look round and everything is fine, but 5 seconds later its on steroids and makes me dizzy, then 5 seconds later its really slow. DIdn't have that before the patch.
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 03:30 PM   #210
remowilliams
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlederer View Post
Does anybody see crew ability icons at the bottom-left of the screen as shown in the screenshot on page 13 of the manual?
I sure haven't. As a matter of fact the 'Ability Keys' don't seem to be doing anything anymore either. F7/8/9 (I forget which) no longer man the deck or AA guns. The crew apparently is on permanent siesta.