SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-08-10, 03:44 PM   #31
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

One can be proud of their homeland, but the idea of American Exceptionalism, and the idea that we're the best ever at everything, is stunningly arrogant, ignorant, conceited and self important. To think that one is above any sort of criticism, and to discount the notion that others may have a better way to do things is foolish.

Americans should cherish their culture, the ideals we strive for and the good aspects of our country. The opportunities available, the progress we've made and our values our country holds dear. But we should not lose sight of the fact that we have many flaws and foibles, we have dark times in our history, and have been flat out wrong at times. To say so is not unpatriotic. To say so is being a rational adult who sees the world as it is, instead of some imagined storyland place. To ignore reality in favor of some imagined idea of American Exceptionalism is foolish and a danger to our country.

That being said, I think the proclamations of America's decline are very, very overblown. If there's one thing history's taught, it's to never underestimate the United States.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-10, 03:48 PM   #32
the_tyrant
Admiral

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Why america is better than the damn nazis:

the_tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-10, 03:49 PM   #33
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemookie View Post
One can be proud of their homeland, but the idea of American Exceptionalism, and the idea that we're the best ever at everything, is stunningly arrogant, ignorant, conceited and self important. To think that one is above any sort of criticism, and to discount the notion that others may have a better way to do things is foolish.

Americans should cherish their culture, the ideals we strive for and the good aspects of our country. The opportunities available, the progress we've made and our values our country holds dear. But we should not lose sight of the fact that we have many flaws and foibles, we have dark times in our history, and have been flat out wrong at times. To say so is not unpatriotic. To say so is being a rational adult who sees the world as it is, instead of some imagined storyland place. To ignore reality in favor of some imagined idea of American Exceptionalism is foolish and a danger to our country.

That being said, I think the proclamations of America's decline are very, very overblown. If there's one thing history's taught, it's to never underestimate the United States.
I agree completely (minus the decline part). Governments are run by people, and people are corruptible. As such, deifying a government or style of governance is a very dangerous thing to do.

Last edited by Takeda Shingen; 12-08-10 at 04:07 PM.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-10, 03:51 PM   #34
Growler
A long way from the sea

Downloads: 21

Quote:
Maybe we Americans would do well to remember that - and live up to it. A good start might be turning off our TVs and getting out into our communities again. When we work together, we are indeed an amazing nation.
And pledge to love and beauty.
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-10, 03:52 PM   #35
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 102

And where is our OP trying to discuss how America is so great?

Mookie though I agree with the first part of your post, it is also my belief that Americans also rely too heavily on the last part of your post.

America WILL rebound from its decline, but who's to say it will happen this decade or in another Generation As I stated in a different post, I believe the path America is on will follow in the footsteps of the USSR.

Please don't take this as a comparison to the Communist USSR, rather I believe that, as the USSR was a superpower that collapsed for a number of reason, so too do I believe that the U.S will fall (Not collapse and disintegrate mind you). It is my belief that no superpower can stand alone without competition nor huge resource production, two things the U.S is lacking currently. After a superpower lacks competition, there is no incentive to keep pushing, and thus after a time, it will consume itself. Indeed, the amount of debt that America owes to the new budding superpower, China, is staggering.

Please don't take this as a knock against the states, rather this is just my un-proffessional opinion and prediction of what will happen to the States.

Edit: Sorry thought just came to me as I clicked submit; but perhaps this modern day and age isn't really America falling back as a nation, but rather, the rest of the world catching up to America as it remains stagnant? What do you think?
Old 12-08-10, 03:53 PM   #36
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

I think overt patriotism has been unfashionable in western Europe for quite a while now. And I think that's a good thing.
Old 12-08-10, 03:53 PM   #37
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauter View Post
And where is our OP trying to discuss how America is so great?
I suspect he's too busy starting another thread titled "Let's Discuss How You Stopped Beating Your Wife."
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-10, 03:55 PM   #38
Growler
A long way from the sea

Downloads: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
I suspect he's too busy starting another thread titled "Let's Discuss How You Stopped Beating Your Wife."
Wait... when was I supposed to start?
And pledge to love and beauty.
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-10, 03:56 PM   #39
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler View Post
Wait... when was I supposed to start?
Old 12-08-10, 03:59 PM   #40
I-25
Commodore

Downloads: 24

I'm all for the glorious tequila wielding United states of Mexico
BOW BEFORE US

and dont forget kids..

FYI.... United States of Mexico is the official full name of Mexico

Last edited by I-25; 12-08-10 at 04:09 PM.
I-25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-10, 04:00 PM   #41
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:

Plus the fact that hundreds are jumping the fence daily! Must be something in the US that is making it great!
Old 12-08-10, 04:08 PM   #42
I-25
Commodore

Downloads: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
Plus the fact that Thousands are jumping the fence daily! Must be something in the US that is making it great!
fixed it for you
I-25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-10, 04:10 PM   #43
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Hah half of them ended up in my home town anyways

But seriously, North Korea is Best
Old 12-08-10, 04:14 PM   #44
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-25 View Post
fixed it for you

Old 12-08-10, 04:17 PM   #45
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:

Mookie, nothing wrong with American Exceptionalism, we would be better off if libs would just see that but they'd rather talk down about the US and apologize as Barry O is famous for doing.Of course America is not perfect, no nation is but we are an exceptional nation, have been since the day we were founded and it is not foolish or arrogant to say so.

I do agree that the decline is overblown.We are in trouble and must change course soon but we will bounce back better than ever.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
usa