SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-02-23, 07:53 AM   #91
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

One of the wife's favourite recipes but minus the garlic and parmesan.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-23, 03:00 PM   #92
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Today was day one of an experiment I plan to run for at least 30 days. 30 Days of carnivore Rambazamba! Only ,meats and fish, animal fats and animal products: butter, ghee, eggs, cheese allowed. No fruits. No vegetables. No corns, no carbs. But - beer. Hey, its has been over 30°C again today... I will focus on beef, sometimes chicken and lamb (they are too lean, need plenty of fat added in any way in the carnivore regime diat), not pig, and some beef liver ( I know how to prepare it so that you can actually eat it and not vomitting...) and chicken or pig heart, the other organ meats there are, especially kidneys and brains, give me the creeps. Also incldued will be fish: salmon, mackarel, tuna.

Combined in my usual 16:8 intermittend fasting scheme. Supplements still taken, then lots of drinking, lots of salt.

NO SWEETS, holy god...

Not even chocolate once in a while?

No, not even chocolate, and not even just once in all that long while.

The execution of this experiment started lousy. I did not plan in blood works, maybe I should have done so, but even if the numbers would be nicier at the end, if I do not like the diet, I most likely wouldn't stick to it no matter the numbers: its about longterm compliance...

Today I bought meats worth 100 Euros. And I followed a tip: to consider burger patties. I did. And heck, how absolutley not I did regret that!

Because for lunch I had an Argentinian RibEye, 200 gr, 10 Euros, and one of two Irish Angus burger patties, two made 230gr for 3,50. Ghee in the cast iron pan, 2x4 minutes for the patty, 2x3 minutes for the steak. Salt, black better, and on the patty a handful of chopped ceddar and mozzarella from Kerrygold (whom i absolutely love for their fantastic butter cheese). Should all be pastured animals and cheese. I have a hawk's eyes now on this pastured fat and meadow thing.

This was easily the very best steak and burger experierne I ever had in my life! I was blown away, this was a leagues abvove what I did in steaks in the past, years ago. The meat was so juicy and tasted of butter, the fat in the steak was tasty as well, and the patty almost melted on my tongue. I never have gotten such an experience in a restaurant. I never, never had prpared of such fantastic quality, or got such quality in a restaurant. A real eye-opener. I'm fixed! Give me more!

The meat was not frozen, but packed, it did not go over the butcher's counter, but was in a cooling box in the supermarket (Marktkauf). The Rib Eye was from a company called Maredo, the patties were from a company named Rasting, no idea whether that is the Irish producer or the German importer.

I have 4 more brand samples of patties, will test them out, American, German, british, Argentinian, if I recall correctly. But the experience today was already a revelation. I must horde those RibEye steaks.

Try it with a good patty! Beats simple minced beef from over the counter by a lightyear. And is cheap.

I think I also never used ghee for the frying of a steak before, this too was a revelation (I still used peanut oil back then, but plant seed and peanut oils now all are banned since years in my kitchen).

I have not eaten this well (though simple) and have not been satisfied by the experience this much since many years!

Think I really turn into a P.E.T.A. guy.

People Eating Tasty Animals.

Last edited by Skybird; 09-11-23 at 04:01 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-23, 03:53 PM   #93
Skybird
Soaring

Day 2.

From this

to that

Two patties, one from an Angus again, the other from some French beef. Beef patties become a favourite of mine, much much better than just minced meat, because: fattier. The steak is an entrecote, that is the same like a ribeye, just not in an American but a French cut, I read. Really? This one today was very good, but the ribeye yesterday was even better. Fried in the grease from yesterday. The steak with Kerrygold herbal butter (very good, better than Meggle, i tried it the firts time today, and was surprised). The one patty with shepard cheese and soar cream, the other with mozarella and Ceddar cheese. All with salt and black pepper, after frying.

This is a good portion for me, one steak, two patties. I am full but not stuffed. Very satisfied, and feels different than having eaten my usual before diat, I feel more "warmly" satisfied, I cannot put it differently. Keeps me over 24 hours. Feels more satisfactory.

Why doing carnivore? This is why: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...&postcount=108
Old 09-15-23, 01:11 PM   #94
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

Icon10

Sky, you need to travel to central Iowa on a Friday.

When I moved into this place back in 2010 (2011?) I brought back the old tradition of Friday Sliders with a mild twist.

My local grocery has a butcher's counter where they sell fresh ground beef in 0.33 pound (150 gram) patties.

For my Friday burger, I spent a couple of years perfecting the process. Its odd, the more simple the prep-the better.

I start by lightly dusting both sides with some "trail dust" (smokey type) and Goya Sazon then add some sage or basil and let them mellow out in the fridge over night.

Once its time to rock, I heat a cast iron pan to "almost smoking" and add a bit of olive oil. Then the burger goes on the pan and its covered for about 15 minutes of cook time. Since these are thick patties, I use a heavy duty stainless spatula to flip and press out the grease (this sounds wrong but it works). Once the patty is cooked (juices run clear, some seared crust on the patty) I press it out one last time and throw it on a bun.

Next comes fresh ground pepper, some pre-cooked fine bacon crumbles* and a thin slice of Swiss or Provolone cheese. Once the cheese melts, I add some dill pickle slices, regular yellow mustard, and ketchup.

Add some French fries and a beer or hard cider, and you're set for the weekend.

*- These bacon crumbles are the real thing and are packaged for adding to salads. I've tried adding a slice of real American bacon, fried Canadian (UK) bacon, etc. but the crumbles are much more effective on a burger and a LOT less of a hassle.

Last edited by ET2SN; 09-15-23 at 01:24 PM.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-23, 01:41 PM   #95
Skybird
Soaring

I believe everz word zou say. Its just that I currentlz test for 30 days what is officiallz named carnivor diet, and that is in priciple a n carbs and animal origin diet, and an eliminationdiet. so my beloved Magic Dust, whcih is my preferred rub, and French fries are off limits .

Its day 5 today, and I wonder whether you can form an addiction to beef. So far I love it and can imagine to stay with it, just getting steaks abd patties is a bit difficult in supermarkets, its scaring to what degree some of the have turned vegan and anti/meat. well, needing to stalk for such offers replaces the ancient hunt in the jungle, so I may learn to think of it in terms of that.

Preferred is argentinian ribeye followed by Entrecote with nice ammount of fat.

interestingly the taste of allways the same does not get boring, while the interest in other tastes I remember kind of fades.

while I save a bit of money by not buying so many other foods anymore, in the end I spend around 50% more per week due to buying so much meat.

I currently eat only beek steaks, ground beef and beef patties, chicken, lamb, eggs, butter, ghee, feta, cheese, yogurt, salmon, mackarel, and i have cut back on my supplements collection. Heck, I now CRAVE for beef.

No pork for me, I have no taste for it. Never had.

I eat once per day, late afternoon or early evening.

I still drink beer, alcoholfree beer and coffee, which all are violations by the definition of the term carnivore diet. But so would be cheese. Lets extend compliance a bit by not becoming a pedantic martyr.

I buy all mil products as organic, also the eggs. Meat, grass feed beef, that is way to unaffordable, I must accept to go with conventional meat. Not ideal, but thats how it is.
Old 09-15-23, 01:44 PM   #96
Skybird
Soaring

oh, and while I did not say it, I feel grrreat. Very satied, mentally satisfied as well. No prob of just one meal a day. really, going great here.
Old 09-15-23, 01:46 PM   #97
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

My favorite burger is fresh ground beef. Minimally handled when forming the patty in other words I don’t compress the meat that much, salt, pepper maybe a little garlic powder. Cooked in a cast iron skillet from rare up to medium. My preferred topping is a heap of melted blue cheese broiled on top ‘til it starts browning. Take’ ‘em out of the oven slap it on a bun and dig in.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-23, 01:48 PM   #98
Skybird
Soaring

Test the difference between over the counter ground beef, and beef patties they prepared, they have a bigger content in fat and thus are more juicy.
Old 09-15-23, 01:51 PM   #99
Skybird
Soaring

Just recall that as a teen I liked steak tartar and "Mett". Both are uncooked meats and thus they became to be avoided in the eighties with the beef pandemic back then. But I must try it again, with onions, egg yolk, salt, pepper.

Must be mad fresh and immediately eaten, due to hygienics concerns.

Tomorrow is liver day, in athin coat of flour, and with heavily roasted onion rings and apple pieces. Its liver. consider the apple and onions a spice to make the thing devourable.
Old 09-15-23, 02:15 PM   #100
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I eat once per day, late afternoon or early evening.

That's because great minds think alike.

I got into healthy eating before I got the formal MS diagnosis.
I tried some of the healthy diets but eating once a day seems to work much better. My Friday burger is my Cheat Day.

Just be careful with the all-beef or caveman stuff. If you catch yourself hitting the supplements harder or you start sweating Lard, you may as well go back to "traditional".
Old 09-15-23, 03:41 PM   #101
Skybird
Soaring

When I find I indeed stick with it, I will do more research into nutrients content of meat and the ammounts of, then skip some or reduce them. I need to check. Some supps I will stay with since meat cannot replace them and even the soils the grass grows on that beef eats, are deficitary. Also, it is grain-fed beef I eat, not grass fed, which also chnages some of the variables in the formula.

I feel (and can see) that I am on a good way over the past 3, 4 years.
Old 09-15-23, 04:08 PM   #102
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Just do the rest of us a favor, do NOT pass gas in an elevator.

Believe me, we'll know..

Old 09-15-23, 04:23 PM   #103
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post

Believe me, we'll know..

It ain't called Chemical warfare for nothing

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-23, 04:50 AM   #104
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post

Believe me, we'll know..
My experience is the opposite. Day 6 of the experiment. Since I do not eat undigastable garbage and fibre anymore, but pretty much everything gets digested and assimilated, I produce much less p... than before, and in the past 5 days sat on the white throne just once (before it was once a day). And no, no constipation. Volume is much less, and farts do not smell. They are less, too.

What I have is an increase in foaming, bubbling sounds. Seems somebody is at work and does his job, which is assimilating stuff.

I am convince dlaready that this way of eating is healthier for our digestion becasue it is more natural and our guts is more adapted tpo this food than to eating somethign else. It has become quite obvious for me.

And this in a cooking thread.
Old 09-16-23, 05:44 PM   #105
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Well, just watch what you're doing.

Most of us are Omnivores and not Carnivores.
Carnivores tend to have shorter life-spans.