SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-14-19, 03:43 AM   #226
jason210
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0

I'll try again then. It's probably the update you mentioned, as I assumed the game would be updated by Ubisoft when I reinstalled it. I gather it isn't?
Windows 10 Pro
jason210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-19, 05:28 AM   #227
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason210 View Post
I'll try again then. It's probably the update you mentioned, as I assumed the game would be updated by Ubisoft when I reinstalled it. I gather it isn't?
No need to assume anything. Game version is shown in the upper right corner of your main menu...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-19, 08:03 AM   #228
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
No need to assume anything. Game version is shown in the upper right corner of your main menu...
Also: go to your sh5.exe in the main folder of the game. Right click on sh5.exe. See the "Properties/Details" of the file. You should see "version: 1.2.0.0".

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-19, 10:12 AM   #229
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

the coroner!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-19, 05:25 PM   #230
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > thecoroner
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-19, 01:16 PM   #231
Duke748
Nub

Downloads: 6
Default TWoS Loading Time

Hi Guys and apologies if this has already been covered.

I love this SH5 Add-On but it takes me 20 minutes or so to access the game. I know you have to be patient and there's a warning about getting a blank screen for 5 minutes or so, but 20 minutes!!!! At first I thought the game had crashed but not so and the game interface eventually appears.

I've no idea what TWoS is up to during that time but there's very little HDD activity as far as I can tell.

My PC isn't the latest and greatest but it's a Core I-7 (3.40GHz) with 16GB RAM and an NVidia GTX1070 graphics card.

Is there anything at all that I can do to speed up the TWoS loading time?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks
Duke748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-19, 01:26 PM   #232
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Duke748! CHECK IN WITH 'THEBERBSTER' (IN THE POST JUST ABOVE YOURS) AND FEEL FREE TO PM HIM FOR ASSISTANCE. HE AIN'T THE MOST HELPFUL FER NUTHIN'!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-19, 01:34 PM   #233
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke748 View Post
Hi Guys and apologies if this has already been covered.

I love this SH5 Add-On but it takes me 20 minutes or so to access the game. I know you have to be patient and there's a warning about getting a blank screen for 5 minutes or so, but 20 minutes!!!! At first I thought the game had crashed but not so and the game interface eventually appears.

I've no idea what TWoS is up to during that time but there's very little HDD activity as far as I can tell.

My PC isn't the latest and greatest but it's a Core I-7 (3.40GHz) with 16GB RAM and an NVidia GTX1070 graphics card.

Is there anything at all that I can do to speed up the TWoS loading time?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks
If you really are desperate to speed up load times you can disable SOAN (TWoS ship recognition manual) - this will make game load very quick but you lose all useful info that comes with SOAN. To try this load OFEV application, open TheDarkWraithUserOptions.py, find SOAN and change it from true to false.
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-19, 01:41 PM   #234
Duke748
Nub

Default Thanks

Hey Guys

Thanks for the speedy responses, much appreciated It's sounding like 20minute loading times aren't uncommon then.

How do you disable the SOAN thing?
Old 04-15-19, 01:51 PM   #235
Duke748
Nub

Default Apologies

Just spotted this:

To try this load OFEV application, open TheDarkWraithUserOptions.py, find SOAN and change it from true to false.

Thanks
Old 04-15-19, 02:02 PM   #236
Duke748
Nub

Default TWoS Startup

Crikey!!! Disabling SOAN makes a hell of a difference, loads instantaneously now Thanks for the tip.
Old 04-15-19, 02:12 PM   #237
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

What is SOAN?

Just ship recognition manual?
bstanko6 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-19, 02:45 PM   #238
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanko6 View Post
What is SOAN?

Just ship recognition manual?
Ships Of All Nations aka the recognition handbook as it appears in TWoS though I have no idea if disabling it doesnt also turn off some targeting related functions. I have it off because at the moment I'm modding the game rather than playing it, so it makes no difference to me except for fast load times.

For my game, black screen when loading game is 4 minues with SOAN on, and like 5 seconds with SOAN off.
Old 04-15-19, 03:05 PM   #239
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Default ORP Wicher model

Hi Vecko,

I stumbled on a little error in TWoS roster:

Polish destroyer ORP Wicher is inaccurately represented in game by Type 34 model, which it didn't resemble at all. Real ORP Wicher was copy of French Bourrasque, which we fortunately also have in game - replacing current model with Bourrasque clone would give Wicher its historical appearance:
WW2 ORP Wicher photo

I guess using Type 34 might be result of confusion with post-war, Soviet-built ship of the same name which did resemble Type 34

Photo of post-war ORP Wicher

--------------

Similar situation with another Polish destroyer ORP Grom, which uses Tribal class 3D model, when real ORP Grom (photo) was more similar to (also present in game) R-Class destroyer (photo). And again, the only ORP Grom with two stacks like Tribal and similar bow shape is post-war ORP Grom from 1950, also built in USSR (photo)

Last edited by kapuhy; 04-15-19 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-15-19, 09:49 PM   #240
quink99
中国水兵

Downloads: 941

After quite a few years I've finally returned to SUBSIM and after installing SH5 and TWOS I must say.....I'm totally dazzled! With so much time away from Uboats the learning curve is pretty steep but I'm loving every second of the challenge.

My one problem, so far, is that I can get almost no markings or Icons to show on either the TAI or Navigator's Map for than seconds.

If I ask the navigator for our present position after a brief wait it will show in the TAI chart. If I have my map tools marker in hand and mark the the small circular blue dot showing my position then that mark will remain; if not it disappears in about 30 seconds.

Can anyone tell me how I can make marks, icons, etc. remain on the map for a usable amount of time? If it might be involved in the problem I'm using Real Navigation

Thanks in advance shipmates,
Quink
quink99 is offline   Reply With Quote