SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-27-24, 07:40 PM   #1
MentallyDull
Nub

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Default SH3 GWX3 Resolution Issues

I just can't seem to edit the resolution or aspect ratio at all and i figured i'd ask for help here. Neither config file seems to do anything at this point and the game running in its native 1074x768 is impossible to play on my monitor. I tried to download the resolution fix by Seeadler(uploaded by danlisa) but this also had no effect.
If anyone can help or has any ideas please let me know
thanks
MentallyDull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-24, 12:04 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

MentallyDull!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-24, 08:10 AM   #3
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentallyDull View Post
I just can't seem to edit the resolution or aspect ratio at all and i figured i'd ask for help here. Neither config file seems to do anything at this point and the game running in its native 1074x768 is impossible to play on my monitor. I tried to download the resolution fix by Seeadler(uploaded by danlisa) but this also had no effect.
If anyone can help or has any ideas please let me know
thanks
Hey Mentally Dull,
Welcome to the best Subsim forum.
Give me more details about your Nvidia or Amd machine..???
Kal_Maximus_U669 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-24, 02:51 AM   #4
MentallyDull
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal_Maximus_U669 View Post
Hey Mentally Dull,
Welcome to the best Subsim forum.
Give me more details about your Nvidia or Amd machine..???
I am on an Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti and an Intel 19-3900k with 32GB of RAM and my monitor is 3440x1440 at 59 hertz
Old 03-02-24, 05:15 AM   #5
Hooston
Soundman

Downloads: 15
Default Windows gets in the way

You can run the vanilla game at 1024x768 full screen or you can use the video settings menu in the game to get a tiny little 1024x768 window. 1024x768 seems to be almost universally acceptable but is going to look very stretched on a wide screen.

The resolution fixes and widescreen mods are based around a thing called a directx wrapper. This is a d3d9.dll file that sits in the game directory and intercepts all calls to the system's proper d3d9.dll file. It then mangles the various system calls to display nicely on a higher resolution or different aspect ratio before sending them on to the real d3d9.dll file.
Firstly windows 10 and on are going to try to stop all this naughty changing of program files and meddling with system calls. You need to be in compatibility mode and install the game somewhere outside Program Files.
Secondly you need to edit the d3d9.cfg (or similar) file and ensure that the resolution and refresh rate called up is something that your system can display.
The simplest solution is to use one of the widescreen mods. These include the d3d9.dll nonsense but also rearrange the 2D graphics to fit the new display size. There are 1920x1024 and 1366x768 flavours available - hopefully your system will be able to cope with one of these modes.
..or you can run linux like me and have to cope with yet another layer of insanity on top of all that I have a 1900x800 display on my desktop PC and I would really like to get 1366x768 in a window within that desktop but I'm afraid most of the directx wrappers obstinately refuse to run in a window!
Good luck!

Last edited by Hooston; 03-02-24 at 05:37 AM.
Hooston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-24, 02:59 PM   #6
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston View Post
You can run the vanilla game at 1024x768 full screen or you can use the video settings menu in the game to get a tiny little 1024x768 window. 1024x768 seems to be almost universally acceptable but is going to look very stretched on a wide screen.

The resolution fixes and widescreen mods are based around a thing called a directx wrapper. This is a d3d9.dll file that sits in the game directory and intercepts all calls to the system's proper d3d9.dll file. It then mangles the various system calls to display nicely on a higher resolution or different aspect ratio before sending them on to the real d3d9.dll file.
Firstly windows 10 and on are going to try to stop all this naughty changing of program files and meddling with system calls. You need to be in compatibility mode and install the game somewhere outside Program Files.
Secondly you need to edit the d3d9.cfg (or similar) file and ensure that the resolution and refresh rate called up is something that your system can display.
The simplest solution is to use one of the widescreen mods. These include the d3d9.dll nonsense but also rearrange the 2D graphics to fit the new display size. There are 1920x1024 and 1366x768 flavours available - hopefully your system will be able to cope with one of these modes.
..or you can run linux like me and have to cope with yet another layer of insanity on top of all that I have a 1900x800 display on my desktop PC and I would really like to get 1366x768 in a window within that desktop but I'm afraid most of the directx wrappers obstinately refuse to run in a window!
Good luck!
Yes it is partly correct..
For your problem resolution why not try this

I add that there are third-party programs to change certain things...or even...graphic injectors...the fashion at the moment since the RTX came out...we have been witnessing the festival of graphic remasters on old titles since some time now...(Pascal Gilcher)..there is also the Kernel library...net Framework..this also depends on how the game was compiled with the textures too much good technology on old games sometimes gives bad result in 2K or 4K or the opposite... there are a lot of people involved in this work, believe me... you will spend hours there if you are a novice...
Old 03-02-24, 09:19 PM   #7
MentallyDull
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal_Maximus_U669 View Post
Yes it is partly correct..
For your problem resolution why not try this

I add that there are third-party programs to change certain things...or even...graphic injectors...the fashion at the moment since the RTX came out...we have been witnessing the festival of graphic remasters on old titles since some time now...(Pascal Gilcher)..there is also the Kernel library...net Framework..this also depends on how the game was compiled with the textures too much good technology on old games sometimes gives bad result in 2K or 4K or the opposite... there are a lot of people involved in this work, believe me... you will spend hours there if you are a novice...
Honestly im probably going to be uninstalling soon. at least on my current pc this game just does not want to run in a functional way. after trying to put the game into fullscreen mode it now crashes before getting to the main menu
i wish there was a way to get this game working that was less complicated.
ive had games from the 90s that were easier to get working on my machine
anyways thanks for the ideas and help
Old 03-02-24, 10:46 PM   #8
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentallyDull View Post
Honestly im probably going to be uninstalling soon. at least on my current pc this game just does not want to run in a functional way. after trying to put the game into fullscreen mode it now crashes before getting to the main menu
i wish there was a way to get this game working that was less complicated.
ive had games from the 90s that were easier to get working on my machine
anyways thanks for the ideas and help
hey MentallyDull salutation ...