SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-05-23, 08:35 PM   #5716
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215
Uploads: 0

Many thanks Propbeanie.

Now IŽm navigating to the Bismarcks, wonder if in the FOTRSU Asiatic Fleet IŽll have a new sub (it is my first time with FOTRSU in the Asiatic Fleet).

When arrived to Brisbane, I was offered a transfer to the Aleutians, but I refused it. I remained with my oldie pigboat, now with SJ radar and improved SD.

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-23, 02:45 AM   #5717
JBHemlock
Swabbie

Downloads: 15

Suddenly, in July 1942, Japanese merchants seem to have learned to zig. I remember reading about how Tommy Dyker would set up to be able to shoot on either tack of a zig, once he'd figured out the pattern.

It's challenging, but I felt really accomplished when I did it!

This mod really has made SH4 into a whole new game for me!

Last edited by JBHemlock; 10-07-23 at 03:10 AM.
JBHemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-23, 11:08 AM   #5718
ElCid97
Gunner

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Many thanks for your answer Kaleun. Well...I use the radio a lot, so IŽll put the Tokyo Rose all the time and f...k the "twelve hours" for a new report. But, I would to know the cause for the "three patrols" medal, when they were two. Maybe an issue due to the very long patrol?

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

One of the things I found messing with the BuPers mod work is that the medal's wording is fixed as a generic paragraph. I'm not on my install computer, but I believe it's in one of the lines towards the bottom of the 'ini' file (menu_1024_768.ini maybe ???).

Anyway, one of the options I did was try to make it even MORE generic so it doesn't look like what you're seeing.

Another option I'm looking at is leaving the line as "null" (no wording whatsoever) and replacing the whole thing with a sort of certificate and medal package with proper wording for the medal. Granted, that will be dependant on whether I can define a proper entry for the "image" once I can make it since the current "image" is a cropping of the medal placed in front of a background image.

Bottom line, the awards system in the game is, well, lacking. Nothing in b/w that can be verified, but it would appear that what a dev posted a while back regarding the number of ships, time between sinkings, etc, is fairly accurate.

Unless someone can figure out how to edit the "exe" like "hsie" did with SH3 to change a few things, it would seem that the medals will be awarded via the hard-coded system. All we can do is try and make things somewhat more generic than what they gave us as far as the award wording goes.

ElCid97
ElCid97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-23, 11:12 AM   #5719
ElCid97
Gunner

Quote:
Many thanks Propbeanie.

Now IŽm navigating to the Bismarcks, wonder if in the FOTRSU Asiatic Fleet IŽll have a new sub (it is my first time with FOTRSU in the Asiatic Fleet).

When arrived to Brisbane, I was offered a transfer to the Aleutians, but I refused it. I remained with my oldie pigboat, now with SJ radar and improved SD.

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

I've only ever starting in the AF. I've never made it past November of 1942!

I've been "upgraded" to a Sargo once, which I guess is relative when compared to a boat that's older than most of the crew!

Hope that helps!

ElCid97
Old 10-07-23, 12:07 PM   #5720
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
But, I would to know the cause for the "three patrols" medal, when they were two. Maybe an issue due to the very long patrol?
fitz,

i was re-reading your post when i saw your question at the end.

if the three-patrols-comment pertains to the verbiage in your award announcement, the issue seems to be part of a disconnect within SH4. those of us who dig into this mess (aka SH4) have a SWAG that part of the programming that relates to missions started their counting at zero, which is what programmers do, from time to time. another part of missions started counting at one, which is also something that programmers do. unfortunately, Ubi never put the the award certificate through any user-acceptance-testing and the zero-start met the one-start and this is the result.

that's the short story told long.

it has absolutely nothing to do with the length of your patrols. your crew's requests for transfer, however, are a direct result of your five month patrols.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-23, 11:39 PM   #5721
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCid97 View Post
One of the things I found messing with the BuPers mod work is that the medal's wording is fixed as a generic paragraph. I'm not on my install computer, but I believe it's in one of the lines towards the bottom of the 'ini' file (menu_1024_768.ini maybe ???).

Anyway, one of the options I did was try to make it even MORE generic so it doesn't look like what you're seeing.

Another option I'm looking at is leaving the line as "null" (no wording whatsoever) and replacing the whole thing with a sort of certificate and medal package with proper wording for the medal. Granted, that will be dependant on whether I can define a proper entry for the "image" once I can make it since the current "image" is a cropping of the medal placed in front of a background image.

Bottom line, the awards system in the game is, well, lacking. Nothing in b/w that can be verified, but it would appear that what a dev posted a while back regarding the number of ships, time between sinkings, etc, is fairly accurate.

Unless someone can figure out how to edit the "exe" like "hsie" did with SH3 to change a few things, it would seem that the medals will be awarded via the hard-coded system. All we can do is try and make things somewhat more generic than what they gave us as far as the award wording goes.

ElCid97
The medals sitch in Stock is "off", so much so that even CapnScurvy was unable to "fix" it with a mod, which is in FotRSU. There are several files involved with the medals, including the menu.txt file with the wording you describe, but also menu_1024_768.ini, which builds the pages seen in the game, as well as controlling the text formatting. Therein lies the rub. You might notice that the text is right-justified for whatever reason, and the text "box" is oddly constructed, making it quite difficult to format the wording in a 'normal' manner. A re-writing of the section for the medals text (at a minimum) would be necessary, even if just including an image for a "certificate". SH5 has a graphical editing utility for menu_1024_768.ini, and there are a couple of tutorials written by folks attempting such work, attempting to adapt the SH5 utility for use in SH3 and/or SH4. You could try Editing SH3 menu with SH5 built-in Menu Editor as an example, and see how far you can get. Be forewarned though, that there are quite a few SH4 sections that will NOT import into the SH5 Editor, plus the fact that you must be prepared for the resultant trashing of your SH5 install from putting SH4 files in it... there are other caveats trying that, but I can't think of them right now...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-23, 05:50 AM   #5722
ElCid97
Gunner

Thanks for that, propbeanie.

One of the options I'm looking at is something like what is being done in Wolves of the Kaiser where the wording is just left blank after the "=" sign in the "menu.txt" file (thanks for the reminder) and then you just replace the thing with a certificate as part of the bigger image.

It doesn't change the criteria for the medal, however, since that was hard-coded by Ubi. Even with a certificate, it would have to be somewhat generic since the criteria have nothing to do with what you're being awarded.

Another change I was considering was re-arranging the medals to something more like the original order, except I would use the Legion of Merit and the Navy Distinguished Service Medal in there instead. The resulting list would be similar to what we have now, but with no APCM which is the lowest medal at this time. It would revert back to BSM, with the SSM, LoM, DSM, then NC. The PH wouldn't be affected since that's for wounds, which the sim's criteria has based on a certain percentage of hull damage I believe.

That's still far down the road at this point since I'm just trying to finalize what I had to get something workable out there. Anything with awards would be version 2 or 3 at this point.

Regards,

ElCid97
Old 10-20-23, 10:33 AM   #5723
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Default It's too quiet!

I hate to break the silence, but the suspense is killing me...it there a projected date for the in process next release? No pressure, just curious because I'm not getting any younger either, y'know?

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-23, 02:44 PM   #5724
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
I hate to break the silence, but the suspense is killing me...it there a projected date for the in process next release? No pressure, just curious because I'm not getting any younger either, y'know?
+1.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-23, 12:17 PM   #5725
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Quote:
+1.

Fitzcarraldo
No date as of yet, just the usual "2 weeks or more" smart-aleck remark, made famous by I don't know how many software developers... lol - But I am going through another round of computer troubles, having to rebuild the computer. Plus, real life has thrown more than one monkey in the wrench lately (a little play on words of the English language). Plus, there are more necessary edits for the mis files in the mod. Several attempts at re-writing of the Sea Trials to eliminate the missed missions issue have failed, but at least there is a "new" discovery concerning Triggers and Events... which is the cause for a goodly portion of the edits - besides other failed modding attempts that don't show the failure until the last step of a process, and then it's either back to the drawing board, or drop the attempt... lol

Old 10-24-23, 12:17 AM   #5726
JBHemlock
Swabbie

Downloads: 15

Soon™
JBHemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-23, 08:36 AM   #5727
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 816

Default Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate, release

Notice to anyone who wants an update...the work will be ready.. when it is ready... point... otherwise do it yourself... it will go faster..the FOTRSU team is not at order of the community here.. I would add that the mods currently proposed are already consistent there are many things.. several possibilities... several ways of playing many other things and above all... errors to note... and not requests for understanding of installation.... Everything is explained in length... in width... is across... let Beanie work in peace...

Hey Beanie my best regards...
This kind of "Lol" happened to me recently...rebuilding your machine is never pleasant...plus it's never the same as before...when it comes to the problem of life...put everyone out... .you will have peace...hihihi..!!!lol..
Boss take the necessary time...even a little rest if necessary..
I'm in no hurry...there's no point in running...you all have my support in this ordeal especially since this work is not easy...
My dear Beanie kind regards Kal Maximus U669...
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-23, 04:14 PM   #5728
D-Jones
Gunner

Downloads: 150

Yeah, but when'll it be ready? (kidding).

Just an FYI--LotsaDudz and Moredudz do work. I've found that putting them last in the load order, e.g., after Fleetboat Interiors, etc., causes them to work, at least for me. I'm getting many duds and "unders", which is good. My only suggestion is to make DDs a little more deadly.

Looking forward to the mod's update.
D-Jones is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-23, 10:49 PM   #5729
propbeanie

The "Dudz" mods have been combined into one "historical" add-in. The DD are quite difficult to "balance". You either get clairvoyant savants, or boxes of rocks that serve no purpose... either way though, they are too predictable, especially early in the war. Still wrenching. Cold Weather Clothes has been updated, and a Restore Warm Weather Clothes added, though the player might still have to start a new career for the change to be affected... The AddInModzPak has been greatly reduced, since quite a bit of it is in the mod already. Still working on 3 other projects for the mod, but at least one will more than likely be dropped, so that the mod can come out before 2031...

Old 11-03-23, 05:54 AM   #5730
ElCid97
Gunner

A very HUGE thank you to everyone involved in this!
The work I'm doing on the recognition manual has shown me just how in depth you folks really have to go into these things to make sure you get something decent out.

I'm going to have to redo the BuPers to make it more "decent" for this!

ElCid97