SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS > Mods Workshop for Cold Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-05-17, 05:14 PM   #1
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainX3 View Post
Hehe watch the movie again... Sean Connery actually said "Recompute for 26 knots, and engage the propellers". This scene was right after the Caterpillar drive failed due to sabotage.

According to both lore and Wikipedia, the max speed of the Red October is 27 knots, about half that for the silent drive.
Just to back you up here CaptainX3:-

I am re-reading the book at the moment (very good by the way - haven't read it for about 25 years)

In the book Skip Tyler does a computer analysis of the Caterpillar drive and discovers that the Octobers most likely speed using the silent drive is in the 10-14 knot range

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-17, 05:49 PM   #2
CaptainX3
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 6

Hey everyone, I'm adding something new to the main post:

When Sending Contributions...
If you send me something to add to the mod, please adhere to the following guidelines, so that it makes integration MUCH easier. (You can send contributions via email to timdgraham at sbcglobal dot net or PM them to me via the CW Discord here: https://discord.gg/caD9q9c )
  • If you're sending a new sub class, please balance it against the 688i class in the mod. I've been having a lot of trouble with misbalanced classes lately when they come from different contributors.
  • Before you send in a new sub class, please consider if it is sufficiently different from classes already in the mod. The one thing no one wants to do is scroll through 150 sub classes to find the one they want, especially if half of those are similar boats with only tiny differences in stats. We really don't need every single diesel sub every country ever had LOL.
  • If you're sending in a new sub class, please include ALL files that go with it... the description file, the vessel file, the damage control image (copying a similar existing one is fine), and also a new sensor profile if you intend on the sub being used as an enemy to the player in any mission.
  • If you're sending a contribution that adds something to an existing vanilla file, please send ONLY your new entries. For example, if you made a new sensor, send a sensors.txt file that includes ONLY your new sensor and not all of the vanilla entires. I keep missing new stuff because it's mixed in with vanilla and I don't see it.

New Playable Subs & More - A Mod For Cold Waters

https://github.com/CaptainX3/CW-Playable-Subs

"We'll settle this the old Navy way... the first guy to die loses!"
CaptainX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-17, 11:10 AM   #3
aaken
Planesman

Downloads: 42
Uploads: 1

I think I am responsible for putting mk48 on George Washington and Ethan Allen SSBNs, sorry. Will correct when I get back from vacation

Inviato dal mio SM-A300FU utilizzando Tapatalk
Old 07-31-17, 06:37 PM   #4
CaptainX3
Electrician's Mate

MOD UPDATED!

Old 07-31-17, 09:36 PM   #5
ChaosphereIX
Mate

Downloads: 38

great fix! Thanks for your hard work sir.

Any way to modify all wire guided torps to have STRAIGHT and LEVEL options for their search patterns/depth keeping? Especially annoying with the Russian torps that only go up or down, and side to side. A simple fix.

Additionally, the wp_65-76 torpedo [Whale] is an anti-ship wake homing torpedo, but the mod has it as dumb firing? Got a surprise when trying to attack a carrier in my Oscar. Might I suggest adding these parameters to it?

HomeSettings=PASSIVE
AttackSettings=STRAIGHT,SNAKE,LEFT,RIGHT
DepthSettings=SHALLOW

Also, any way to add the UGST torpedo for the Akula, Yasen classes? It is essentially a longer range, wire guided USET-80, although sources are conflicting as to the exact stats of the torp. For the timeline and to balance it vs the ADCAP, perhaps take the following stats?

WeaponType=TORPEDO
Warhead=660
SurfaceLaunched=FALSE
WireGuided=TRUE
WireBreakOnLaunchProbability=0.01
WireBreakSpeedThreshold=30
RangeInYards=54000
RunSpeed=40
ActiveRunSpeed=50
TurnRate=20
SensorAngles=80,20
SensorRange=3000
WeaponNoiseValues=110,230
MaxPitchAngle=25
HomeSettings=PASSIVE,ACTIVE
DepthSettings=LEVEL,SHALLOW,DEEP
MinCameraDistance=0.5

Last edited by ChaosphereIX; 07-31-17 at 10:06 PM.
ChaosphereIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 01:43 PM   #6
CaptainX3
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosphereIX View Post
great fix! Thanks for your hard work sir.

Any way to modify all wire guided torps to have STRAIGHT and LEVEL options for their search patterns/depth keeping? Especially annoying with the Russian torps that only go up or down, and side to side. A simple fix.

Additionally, the wp_65-76 torpedo [Whale] is an anti-ship wake homing torpedo, but the mod has it as dumb firing? Got a surprise when trying to attack a carrier in my Oscar. Might I suggest adding these parameters to it?

HomeSettings=PASSIVE
DepthSettings=SHALLOW

Also, any way to add the UGST torpedo for the Akula, Yasen classes? It is essentially a longer range, wire guided USET-80, although sources are conflicting as to the exact stats of the torp. For the timeline and to balance it vs the ADCAP, perhaps take the following stats?

WeaponType=TORPEDO
Warhead=660
SurfaceLaunched=FALSE
WireGuided=TRUE
WireBreakOnLaunchProbability=0.01
WireBreakSpeedThreshold=30
RangeInYards=54000
RunSpeed=40
ActiveRunSpeed=50
TurnRate=20
SensorAngles=80,20
SensorRange=3000
WeaponNoiseValues=110,230
MaxPitchAngle=25
HomeSettings=PASSIVE,ACTIVE
DepthSettings=LEVEL,SHALLOW,DEEP
MinCameraDistance=0.5
Excellent idea, will be in today's update.

Old 08-01-17, 02:43 PM   #7
CaptainX3
Electrician's Mate

MOD UPDATED AGAIN! LOL

Old 08-12-17, 02:22 PM   #8
Radnaa
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 4
Default Doesn't seem to work on mac

Hi guys so I got it onto streaming assets and put it next to default. Then I ran the game but it doesn't work if I try to create a new campaign th start doesn't work it's the same story with single missions. Can anyone help thanks
Radnaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-17, 05:04 PM   #9
CaptainX3
Electrician's Mate

Hey everyone, for the time being, the Playable mod is closed to new contributions. I'm getting too overwhelmed with everything coming in and I'm really starting to lose my enjoyment of modding, it's becoming a cumbersome chore LOL. Easy stuff like single missions is still okay, but I think we have enough sub classes for now, it's getting a little crazy. Thanks.

Old 08-12-17, 05:08 PM   #10
EnjoyableSTIG
Seaman

Downloads: 68

1. Did you correctly copy the override folder from the mod zipfile to the StreamingAssets?

2. When you installed the mod, did you have any other mods installed beforehand? In other words, did you already have a folder called "override" inside the StreamingAssets folder?

If you have another mod it may be conflicting. I have had a similar issue as you when trying to combine the Russian Subs mod with the 2004 campaign mod.

Make sure you extract the zip file and copy the override folder from "RussianSubs" into the StreamingAssets folder. There should then be two folders inside "SreamingAssets": "default" and "override".
EnjoyableSTIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-17, 06:38 AM   #11
Falkirion
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 34

Have a quick one. Downloaded the mod, placed in the correct spot but I can't see the AU Collins or Swedish subs. All the other playable subs seem to be appearing bar those 2 subs.

Can anyone offer me any help?

Cap this is a fantastic mod, hope you do add more content but please take a well deserved break mate.
Falkirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-17, 08:17 AM   #12
SubLab67
Nub

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkirion View Post
Have a quick one. Downloaded the mod, placed in the correct spot but I can't see the AU Collins or Swedish subs. All the other playable subs seem to be appearing bar those 2 subs.

Can anyone offer me any help?

Cap this is a fantastic mod, hope you do add more content but please take a well deserved break mate.
Hello,

I had no problems with this mod update or previous ones, but following is that i usually do: 1st i backup the existing Override folder and then delete it under StreamingAssets so there is only default folder, then i copy the new Override folder. So there is everytime a "fresh" Override folder, and i have also available backup of the Override folder, in which i know that everything works as supposed to be.

I also have a copy of the Override folder called MyMODs Override folder, which i use when making and testing my own mods. When needed i just rename this and copy under StreamingAssets.

Regards,
SubLab67
SubLab67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-17, 03:44 AM   #13
Falkirion
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 34

No joy. Tried re-downloading and deleting the override folder multiple times and using a fresh copy. Still jump straight from the Frenchies into the Dutch boats.

Don't mind as I'm sure I can have fun with the Virginia and 688i flight 3 variants first. Just want to try out the Collins for funsies and y'know its the national sub over here in Aus till the new sub class is built.

Considering doing a fresh install to try and clear the issue.

Thanks for the suggestion Sublab67
Falkirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 01:23 PM   #14
Grondag
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Icon14 Great work!

Just wanted to say I really enjoy the mod!
It's been a while since a game has kept my interest long enough to incur the wrath of my wife...

I managed to merge the Red Storm Rising free roam mod with this one, and it is unbelievably fun! Not sure if you've already looked into officially merging these, but it's really nice to just roam about for a while racking up tonnage before doing a SEAL insertion and final TLAM attack.
Old 08-21-17, 11:40 AM   #15
aaken
Planesman

Downloads: 42
Uploads: 1

The campaign was 68 or 84? Did you start the campaign that gave you this error after the last update or was it a saved campaign started before last update?