SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-19-08, 05:29 AM   #1
PhilM
Swabbie

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0
Default Is DW better than SC as a Sub game?

I got SC when it first came out, being a 688iHK player,
but didn't really play it, due to being distracted by so
many of the other great games in the world today.

I finally got round to re-installing SCXIIc the other day.

I turned down buying DW cheap at the local game store
a few months back(I will probably never see a copy again here
in Australia now), as I thought all the surface options would once again distract me from my great desire of becoming a "true"
Sub Commander .

So, which is the better "sub" sim.?
PhilM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-08, 12:29 PM   #2
Frame57
Sea Lord

Downloads: 2

It it all preference... Which is better a blonde or a brunette? I like SC with SCX the best. I guess there are a bit better graphics with DW. The Kilos are better in DW though. If the auto crew functioned better and gave more info in combat situations I think Sc is the better of the two if you are not interested in flying helos or driving a surface vessel.
Frame57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-08, 08:30 AM   #3
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Sub Command also made it worth to do TMA personally. In DW the auto TMA is too good, so if you are playing multiplayer missions where auto is allowed, you end up using it to be able to keep with the others.
Old 10-21-08, 02:54 PM   #4
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142

I personally like them both. equally and play them both equally. One is not better than the other in my opinion. I like the mission editor a lot better in DW than Sub Command's and the graphics are a bit better in Dangerous Waters (Especially the water). I'd say between DW with LWAMI and SC with SCX, it depends on personal preference. The LWAMI people are porting over the SCX database to LWAMI as well so when it's released, DW will have all the platforms available from SC with SCX in addition to the large number of platforms it already has.
SCU can be used for Sub Command (It comes with SCX) to add new driveable subs to Sub Command. There are about three or four other subs available for use with SCX. Dangerous Waters does not allow you to add your own playables, but offers you two submarine hunting aircraft, an anti-sub surface ship, in addition to the subs.
Both are good and you can't go wrong with either. Make sure to put LWAMI into your DW installation and SCX into your Sub Command installation. These mods make a huge difference.
Old 10-28-08, 07:40 PM   #5
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

with LWAMI add on for DW well I prefer DW.

Yes DW is seriously cheap I think you should have grabbed it when you see one anywhere if you haven't yet picked one up for yourself.

DW imo will not distract you from learning the submarine platform. Come on realistically speaking you already exhausted every nuts and bolts on how to command your sub in SC anyway.

DW offers you not distract from you the possibility to play as surface or air platform plus a diesel elctric Kilo sub. The true gem of DW imo is not the subs because SC already offers us that and not so much on the helo or planes because you would probably master them in a few days at most but the FFG is really something else. It is really a piece of gem. You better be determined if you want to master the FFG(Frigate guided). The sonar stations are really....wonderful. You have sonobuoys stations, weapon coordinator station, hull sonar, towed array sonar station, and now you no longer fear using the active sonar as you would driving a sub.

Play[download] the Red Storm Rising campaign where in mission two you would be playing a psychological warfare with a non ally diesel-electric sub. Chasing around the sub with active pinging at close range like a bulldog's bite on a man's foot....laughing all the while because you've nailed and embarrassed them and there is no escaping for them as they try to outmaneuver you in desperation for hours. The thought would come to your mind: If only I could drop a few barrels of junks above them. Aha it's not so bad being a skimmer. Better you now than the skipper you put under duress.

Get DW if you stumble upon one even if you find it at the dump site LOL. Really. Get it. You won't be disappointed.
Personally I prefer LWAMI than SCX but then again I never put much time with SCX.

Last edited by Castout; 10-28-08 at 08:15 PM.
Castout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-08, 07:47 PM   #6
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142

Quote:
Personally I prefer LWAMI than SCX but then again I never put much time with SCX.
SCX has more units for you to put into your missions in it, but that's soon going to be a moot point as for the next LWAMI, they're working on porting the entire SCX database into it as well. I can't wait because I need some of those units for my "Hunt For Red October" project. Some of the units I need are missing in Dangerous Waters, yet present in SCX.