SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Submarine Scale Models: Subs, Naval, Tanks, Planes, Trains, Space & Other
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-07-08, 09:54 PM   #1
Graf Paper
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 2
Default U-boat Model Advice

I used to build ship models as one of my many hobbies when I was a kid. My pride and joy was the battleship USS Missouri.

Lately, I've been wanting to attempt building a u-boat but I have no idea about what's generally available these days.

I was looking for a Type VII series u-boat that would measure around 12-24 inches. I just don't have the space to accomodate that 1/72 scale monster made by Revell.

I'm hoping to keep the budget under $25.00 US but still try to get the best quality possible as I realize the cheaper models tend to be rather sparse on detail and accuracy.

Could any experienced modelers out there offer some advice, please?
Old 04-08-08, 01:31 AM   #2
Siara
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

1-144 scale VIIc by Revell. Retails for about 25 $.
Nice detail, lots of extras available ie photoetch parts, wooden deck, flags...

Master Models
Siara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-08, 02:23 AM   #3
Graf Paper
Ace of the Deep

Thanks very much for the tip, Siara.

Any recommendations for retailers where this can be found? I only know of Amazon and eBay for online shopping.

Also, can you elaborate more on these "extras" you mentioned? Are they part of the kit or is this a seperate kit?
Old 04-08-08, 08:25 AM   #4
Siara
Grey Wolf

You can try any online retailer of plastic kits.
Just google it- im sure Youll find it.
To reduce the cost of shiping try the shops closer home.
The extras You need to order seperately- depends what You like from Your model.
The new VII C from Revell is excellent kit, and will bring joy to the modeller straight from box. To enhance it further get the deck from White Ensign Models, and photoetch set from Eduard.
White Ensign Models do sell original set of paints based on the chips of paints from actual boats of kriegsmarine.

Ask Bill Nichols- i believe hes started his VII C.

Good Luck.
Get the links of the shops in mention from my sig.

Master Models
Old 04-08-08, 08:42 PM   #5
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

If you're really strapped for space, or want to build a whole fleet in the same scale, try 1/700.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWX75
Old 04-08-08, 09:04 PM   #6
Graf Paper
Ace of the Deep

Thank you again for continuing to offer guidance, Siara. I'll take a look around and see what I come up with. I was thinking of doing this as a summer project so I'd have an excuse to sit outside at the lounge table in the backyard and enjoy the sunny days ahead instead of being holed up in my cave with my computer.

Sailor Steve, I think that retailer forgot to mention the microscope and tweezers needed to assemble and detail a 4.5-inch u-boat! lol

I like the fact that it would make for more subs displayed in a small space, but I doubt I have the eyesight or steady hands needed for delicate work like that.

Anything you have to detail with a single bristle from a modeler's brush is too much for me!

I do have to question one statement made about thie kit.
Quote:
Can be finished as either a Class VIIC or Class IXC submarine.
I suppose it has extra hull pieces to extend the length to match a IXC but I would have my doubts the IXC hull was merely a longer VIIC with the VIIC conning tower.

Including a merchant broken in half as a set piece is a nice touch, though.

[EDIT]

I found two very nice U-boats at that Tower Hobbies link, Steve. One is a generic 1/144 scale VIIC that is well detailed and about 18-inches in length. It also comes with a VIIB style alternate conning tower. Cost is $19.69 plus S+H.

The other is a 1/125 model of Otto Kretschmer's U-99, type VIIB, that has a cut-away hull on one side to show the interior details and measures in at just under 21 inches long. Cost is $16.29 plus S+H.

Decisions, decisions! Now I just have to sit and worry myself over which one I want.

No big hurry as summer weather is still several weeks away.

Thank you both!

Last edited by Graf Paper; 04-08-08 at 09:30 PM.
Graf Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-08, 10:00 PM   #7
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

I really enjoy these threads on modeling, especially with links

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-08, 01:13 AM   #8
Siara
Grey Wolf

Dont go for the 1-125 kit- it is outdated and poor in quality.
The new 1-144 scale VII C is miles better.

Master Models
Old 04-09-08, 01:43 AM   #9
Graf Paper
Ace of the Deep

I am indebted to you for your kindness of being considerate enough to steer me away from a disappointment, Siara!

So the 1/144 VIIC it shall be!

Thank you!

Your "U-552" modeling diary is a very infromative and well done blog, Siara. Very nicely detailed VIIC you've got there!
Old 04-09-08, 12:47 PM   #10
Siara
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graf Paper
I am indebted to you for your kindness of being considerate enough to steer me away from a disappointment, Siara!

So the 1/144 VIIC it shall be!

Thank you!

Your "U-552" modeling diary is a very infromative and well done blog, Siara. Very nicely detailed VIIC you've got there!
No problem, hope You gonna share the experiences with the kit with all of us.

Master Models
Old 04-09-08, 07:02 PM   #11
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graf Paper
Sailor Steve, I think that retailer forgot to mention the microscope and tweezers needed to assemble and detail a 4.5-inch u-boat! lol

I like the fact that it would make for more subs displayed in a small space, but I doubt I have the eyesight or steady hands needed for delicate work like that.

Anything you have to detail with a single bristle from a modeler's brush is too much for me!
Then I guess my collection of 1/2400 Majestic class battleships is right out, then?:rotfl:

Quote:
I do have to question one statement made about thie kit.
Quote:
Can be finished as either a Class VIIC or Class IXC submarine.
I suppose it has extra hull pieces to extend the length to match a IXC but I would have my doubts the IXC hull was merely a longer VIIC with the VIIC conning tower.

Including a merchant broken in half as a set piece is a nice touch, though.
Your mention of the broken merchant made me look at the box again. I've built that kit, and it's a misprint: it actually contains a model of both the type VII and Type IX.

I'm glad you found what you wanted. have fun.
Old 04-10-08, 12:32 AM   #12
Graf Paper
Ace of the Deep

A two-for-one kit with both u-boats? That would almost be enough to tempt me into purchasing it, S.S., but I'll stick with the 1/144 VIIC as I had more in mind using it as a "mascot" of sorts to display above my desk while playing SH3.

1/2400 scale sounds almost insanely small. You could probably fight the entire Battle of the North Atlantic in your bathtub! What's the postal charge for delivering a box the size of a pack of cigarettes? :p

What's next? Instead of "ship-in-a-bottle" will it be "ship-in-a-pill capsule"?

Siara, I'll try to take snapshots of the build process, if you guys really want to see, but I'm not responsible for any feelings of dismay and shock you may feel at seeing such an amateur work! I haven't built or painted a single model since I was 14-years old.

Modern concepts such as kit-bashing and 3rd-party add-on kits just didn't exist, in a commercial sense, back then.

Must be something about all this nautical stuff that stirs my blood. Reading books like "Old Ironsides", "Two Years Before the Mast", "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea", and "Moby Dick" never failed to put me in the mood to be a sailor. Building ships was as close as I could come to that fantasy.

That VIIC wouldn't be my first sub, though. I did have the USS Nautilus in my long-lost collection. Everything I had ( including a large collection of my art ) got lost by the moving company when my dad was moved across the state to a new job.

The most complex build I ever did was my favorite sailing ship, the Constitution. It took me a week to string the rigging. I remember hating the plastic sails so I used an old handkerchief, cut the sails out, made shape molds out of modeling clay, laid the hankys over the molds, and then brushed them with matte clearcoat to stiffen the fabric. After they dried, I used thread to make the furling lines on each sail and brushed on more clearcoat to "glue" them into place. I used a thumbtack to make the holes in the corners and along the edges to fit the rigging and stays.

If I decide to do a first-class job with the VIIC and purchase additional parts to finish the model, it may take all summer to complete it. Providing nothing unexpected comes up with the finances, I'll be ordering the model next month.
Old 04-19-08, 05:20 AM   #13
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Try looking here: http://www.pacificfront.com/

I've ordered from them in the past. They are located in Roseburg OR.
Old 04-28-08, 10:56 PM   #14
Graf Paper
Ace of the Deep

Thank you very much, nikimcbee!

Not only are they close to home, so to speak, byt they're a whole dollar cheaper than the other site from which I had intended to purchase the model. Quicker delivery for less money, those go together like peanut butter and chocolate!

On a somewhat down note, I may have to delay getting this VIIC model due to my trusty lawn mower "Old Gus" finally giving up the ghost and mowing his last lawn this past weekend. The good part is my new lawn mower was on sale and it has a more powerful engine as well as a rear-mounted grass catcher.

No more raking grass clippings!

But there goes my savings for the next three months!
Old 04-29-08, 09:49 PM   #15
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Good luck with the mower. When you get around to starting the 1/144 VIIC kit, check my 'build-it' topic... I've just begun building mine and perhaps you'll be able to avoid the mistakes I'm sure to make

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=135471