Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
Which one is you, Vinnie ?
Back row far left

This was my school rugger strip (well the top half anyway - black shorts, black & gold socks)
Old 12-18-22, 01:20 PM   #47
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
Back row far left

This was my school rugger strip (well the top half anyway - black shorts, black & gold socks)

The only time my shirts / tops were that clean was when they were new. The sport is rough on shirts and everything else including knees and ankles.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-22, 01:33 PM   #48
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

^ My poor mother - mine always got filthy (that's a brand new one in the photo). I don't know what happened to mine - it would probably still fit me. Moira would like it, too
Old 12-18-22, 02:22 PM   #49
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Icon9 Half century: faded glory

Quote:
Back row far left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
The only time my shirts / tops were that clean was when they were new. The sport is rough on shirts and everything else including knees and ankles.
that's exactly identical to what I wore in college for four years and in the nets when goal tending! I learned to sew just keeping it repaired! I just dredged it out of my 50+ year-old old sport kit-bag: mouth guard, wrestling (scrummie ear protection) headgear; all "good to go!" and the old jersy & socks look it! I knew to save it for a thread like this!!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 12-18-22 at 02:31 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-22, 03:16 PM   #50
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Rugby...a sport played mostly by men with funny shaped balls.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-22, 05:02 PM   #51
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Rugby...a sport played mostly by men with funny shaped balls.
Before or after they are done playing ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
that's exactly identical to what I wore in college for four years and in the nets when goal tending! I learned to sew just keeping it repaired! I just dredged it out of my 50+ year-old old sport kit-bag: mouth guard, wrestling (scrummie ear protection) headgear; all "good to go!" and the old jersy & socks look it! I knew to save it for a thread like this!!

I think I still have my gear. I washed it and packed it away with sports stuff. I can still fit into and wear my football letter-men jacket.

Quote:
^ My poor mother - mine always got filthy (that's a brand new one in the photo). I don't know what happened to mine - it would probably still fit me. Moira would like it, too

We had to wash our own gear when we were young and playing Hockey and Football. Later, in High School, The school had a contract with a cleaning company, like most High Schools, to clean our uniforms.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-22, 02:29 PM   #52
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Quote:
Back row far left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
all ruggers are a tad squirrilly no IMHO 'bout it!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 12-27-22, 09:46 AM   #53
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Mine's long gone - I also had the socks to match, plus black shorts
Old 01-27-23, 01:28 PM   #54
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Serious cross training

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
punts from the soccer goal crease was cross-training for my punting the rugby ball...The other cross-training was wrestling takedowns as Rugby tackles; utterly indispensable for a small hooker vs a 280 lb prop or second row behemouth!!
The upcoming game for the NFC:San Francisco 49ers vs Philadelphia Eagles (at Philly) promises to be interesting: https://www.wsj.com/articles/jordan-...ip-11674701653
Quote:
The biggest player in this NFC Championship game is a 6-foot-8, 365-pound lineman who grew up playing the wrong sport. Long before he was dwarfing the NFL’s most menacing pass rushers, Jordan Mailata’s real dream was to play professional rugby league in his native Australia.
The only problem was that even rugby league thought he was too huge.
So on a long shot, Mailata flew to the U.S. ready to give up his rugby league future and learn a sport where he might never carry the ball again. Five years later and nearly 10,000 miles from home, he’s Philadelphia’s favorite Sydneysider, because the man from Down Under is the one keeping quarterback Jalen Hurts right side up.
“He’s not a rugby league boy anymore,” said Jamie Eid, Mailata’s youth coach in Australia. “He looks like an NFL player now.”...Once the Eagles took Mailata, though, his roster spot was far from guaranteed. That’s true of all seventh-round picks, but this one was a complete novice at football with no experience from college or even high school. But oddly enough, he didn’t consider this to be a disadvantage. In fact, he thought it helped him as he mastered the craft of blocking.

“It was just easier to pick up everything like a clean slate,” Mailata said before the start of the 2018 season. “I didn’t have any bad habits.”

Still, the learning curve was steep. The dense NFL playbooks may as well have been written in Cyrillic. When he played all four quarters of a preseason game that rookie year, he was flagged for two false start penalties. He then suffered season-ending injuries during his first and second years in the league before ever stepping on the field for a regular season game.

His progress since then has been remarkable. He took over for an injured starter in 2020, beat out a first-round pick for the full-time job in 2021 and is now widely considered among the best tackles in the league. The Eagles didn’t hesitate last year to lock him into a lavish contract—one that pays him more than 10 times the salary of the NRL’s biggest stars. That’s why his performance will go a long way toward determining whether or not the Eagles advance to their fourth Super Bowl this Sunday.
Oddly, my former security guard partner, a huge Samoan, who had my back in some of the worst Federal sites in San Francisco ca: 2000, had a cousin, Jessie Sapulo, who played front-line for the 49ers: 15 NFL seasons, winning four Super Bowls with the 49ers and earning two trips to the Pro Bowl. He did this despite a torn aortic heart valve, a dangerous condition that left him short of breath at times. All Samoans have a knowledge of Rugby and football and are leaving their mark on both. <seen in practice at front line for the 49ers! When I say "Behemouth"...I'm probably thinking Samoan! https://www.thepostgame.com/blog/men...moa-hawaii-nfl

Old 03-13-23, 02:26 AM   #55
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

cool This was fun.... half a century ago!

Here's how these get earned & jaws get broken!!?? < NO Try??!! Yoda never played Rugby!

Last edited by Aktungbby; 03-13-23 at 02:42 AM.
Old 08-11-23, 07:05 PM   #56
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Of course I'd stay out of a beluga's ruck since my head would most certainly be lower than my hips!??
Quote:
A ruck is formed when at least one player from each team are in contact, on their feet and over the ball which is on the ground. Players involved in all stages of the ruck must have their heads and shoulders no lower than their hips.

Old 09-10-23, 11:24 AM   #57
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Icon11 The 'apogee' of considered Rugby!

...having a blast watching the 2023 World Cup on TV Scotland vs South Africa...South Africa SpringBoks R up 3-0 on the 'Bravehearts' at the moment...as a Kincaid married to a McClean, I'm for the 'auld sod' myself!

Last edited by Aktungbby; 09-10-23 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-10-23, 11:43 AM   #58
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

...Scotland just scored on a dead-center penalty kick: the score stands at 'Boks-6 -Thistle-3...a tedious back and forth even physical game with no breakaway steller play as yet...

Old 09-10-23, 12:06 PM   #59
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

at 46:19 Boks R in for try: now up 11-3...EDIT: AND in again for follow-on try at 53:26 and after-kick; score: 18-3; as the stellar breakaway play commences. The Bravehearts'll have a tough comeback; but both sides are still playing stalwart gentlemanly Rugby in a packed-house Marseille stadium!

Last edited by Aktungbby; 09-10-23 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-10-23, 12:49 PM   #60
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Game over: 18-3

The Boks outmuscle'd the speedier Scots; and are playing in 30⁰ C (86⁰F)humid -heat which tends to favor the Boks. Having 'out-stellar'd' the Thistle, the game is back to to&fro play with time called. Congrats to South Africa. One minor squabble notwithstanding, both sides played courteously and with respect. Both captains hugged afterwards and the umpire was excellent: I didn't envy him his job in front of the entire planet!

Last edited by Aktungbby; 09-10-23 at 12:57 PM.