SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-20-23, 05:59 PM   #196
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

I watched the video and Amiga 500 came up in my mind.

If this is what VR can present as up to date graphic. It has a long way.

Or is it the game itself who has this low graphic ?

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-23, 07:37 PM   #197
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
I watched the video and Amiga 500 came up in my mind.

If this is what VR can present as up to date graphic. It has a long way.

Or is it the game itself who has this low graphic ?

Markus
Its the game, I warned twice of judging this game by its cartoonish graphics. The gameplay is where it counts. Like tennis on a smaller court, with balls that are heavy and do not jump easily, you can smash them and they will not go to warp speed like a tennis ball would. Thats why this is well suited to be played in the limited space of your room.

I said it twice, do not judge this game by its cartoonish look.

The Quest 3 can produce extremely good looking graphics. But not en par with a pc with a 3080 gfx card.

Eleven, First Person Tennis, Racket NX I also have on PC. They look the same on the Q3.
Old 10-23-23, 06:50 PM   #198
Skybird
Soaring

I am in danger of getting overjoyed.

Had a couple of online tennis matches with friendly, good players, no troublemakers, and although I still need to get back into the game and made too many easy mistakes (same mistakes I made in real tennis over 35 years ago...), they did not lose patience. One match however went extremely well, with long exchanges. There is a very active lobby, its a constant come-and-go, though late in the night in Germany most players come from the Americas and the pings sometimes show it. One has to watch out for whether the host has set it up as Arcade or Simulation, I prefer the latter.

A simple golf-grip arrived yesterday, its a doubled item, the ministicks where the controllers get inserted, can be screwed together, you then have either a kayak paddle with two blades, or a sexy jedi sword with two lasers, something like that. Or you just add the extension of the one to the stick and controller-holder of the other, then you have a nice two-handed sword - or a simple golf club. I did not expect that it would make such a difference in Golf+, my strokes and especially my drives reach farther and have much more precision, do not fade like crazy. Walkabout Minigolf also works much better than with controller alone, it all feels just much more natural.

I also found the apparently first table tennis grip that can hold the Quest 3 controller, needless to say that was an instant buy, I craved for something like that. I also ordered a "pistol" grip, which allows to add weight by using ordinary coins that get put into the pistol run until you got the weight you want. Should add much more precision to my shooting if putting some weight to the virtual weapon.

Whats more, I got totally addicted to Pickleball, no wonder they say this sports is the fastest growing sports game in America currently (real world sports i mean), and it is ideal for VR - you can and must hit very powerful, and still the ball does not go as fast as in tennis and does not fly as far, and the playing area is much smaller, fitting better into a living room. I did my first two-on-two yesterday evening, against three bots, the resulting action and quickfire dramas at the kitchen (near the net) were hilarious, the sim is very convincing, is extreme fun, and will get your cardiovascular system working. I again say: do not get misled by the cartoonish graphics, that means nothing! We have a hidden gem here.

If you do not know what pickleball is (which is likely if you are not US American), here is some from the real world:

This is an object that is ideal for being simulated in VR.

Last edited by Skybird; 10-23-23 at 07:04 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-23, 08:48 AM   #199
Skybird
Soaring

This news is no longer really new, but I missed it. Knowing the game since years and playing it with enthusiasm, I know it quite well and have no objections on this decision. The sports level seen here I would rate as a low intensity cardio workout that needs good awareness, decent reflexes and some solid eye-hand coordination, not having exaggerated demands. And it it AWESOME fun. Thats why I have already mentioned it repeatedly. It was one fo the very first titles I bought without hesitation a second time for the Quest 3 (after Steam some years ago).

German VR website "Mixed.de" writes: In the cybersports game Racket: NX, players use a virtual racket to fire a futuristic squash ball at the walls of a 360-degree arena. The game is now recognized as an official sport - and even wants to become an Olympic sport.

The environment in Racket:Nx may be virtual, but the sweat is quite real: The VR squash is quite strenuous, just like real squash - and a bit more: Because instead of just chasing the ball against a flat wall in front of you, you have to keep it in play in a circular arena and aim quite accurately at the same time, as different plates on the wall trigger different actions or bring points. Racket:Nx supports single and multiplayer modes.

Now development studio One Hamsa announces that the International Racquetball Federation (IRF) has recognized Racket:Nx as an official sports discipline. This recognition is valid from April 1, 2022.

Mind you, when he mentions a few quirks: he is tlakign about the version for Quest 1. On my Q3 I saw no issues at all.
Old 10-27-23, 07:35 AM   #200
Skybird
Soaring

Why has it never come to my mind earlier to check what there is in VR regarding submarines? Well, there is Iron Wolf, since five or six years, and there is the upcoming UBoat: The Silent Wolf VR:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...silent+wolf+vr

Old 11-03-23, 10:18 AM   #201
Skybird
Soaring

I got seriously into Golf+, I love it, and I bought several of the real courses, which are better than the three included fantasy ones. I play it excessively (and occasionally with my Mum Walkabout Minigolf, which is what she loves).

This latest buy illustrates how serious I am about Golf now The weight matches, even exceeds that of a real golf club, more on that later. The illusion of swinging real is perfect. Precision and drive both see huge benefits.

FYI, with ciontroller the weight is around 580-590gr, which is a bit more than many gold irons and woods would weigh, without controlelr the weight is around 460gr. You can experiment with moving the controller a bit upwards on the shaft. But one thing should be clear: this thing doesn ot feel like a toy, neither by weight nor by swing nor the texture of the grip. You can get completely immersed in the illusion... The higher total weight must be known to the producer, and he did not chnage it. I think he is right, he did that to compensate for the shorter length of the shaft, which has a negative effetc on the speed by which the head is moving when you swing with power. So, its no letdown by them, I think its intentional - and clever. Golf+ also allows in-game adaptation to various such devices, to compensate for the differences to real life that way and preventing unrealistic driving distances.

After three decades this is my first computer golf simulation that indeed feels like the real thing.

A table tennis "racket" (trowel?) and a pistol that allows to add weight to it in form of coins, gaining precision and stabilization, are on their ways, international shipping from the US and from sweden. Meanwhile I commit my shooting needs with this:

And I thought the Quest would be a testing devic eonly for my Mum, would be a secondary junior-grade item to the PC-linked Q2. Oh boy, it has completely taken over instead. I do a lot of VR sports, in parts via Virtual Desktop from PC, which is completely uncomplicated. Only my racing sims do not work that way, Virtual desktop, VR and the sim together would bring the machine to its knees, and directly linking the Quest via cable works as good as via Airlink: not at all.

Much money was spend on all this. But for me it was worth it.

Last edited by Skybird; 11-03-23 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-04-23, 03:51 PM   #202
Skybird
Soaring

Now let the tiny little white balls fly to me!

Table tennis adapter by SolidSlime.
Already played three test matches in Eleven. Great feeling in the hand. I will add leather to the grip.

This video is a comparison of the Quest 2, Pro and 3. I must say the little money you can save by going with the 2 is not really worth it, better go all the way and choose the 3, you get much more processing power, battery life and image quality. The passthrough is a lightyear ahead.

Old 11-07-23, 04:03 PM   #203
Skybird
Soaring

This is almost a most personal, most intimate confession.

In the Quest, there is an app named TV, its something like youtube, but features exclusively stereoscopic 3D movies in 360° and 180°. Usually 360°/180° video means 360°/180° in 2D, but this is stereoscopic at all directions. And the film I watched was 18 minutes, title was "The ISS experience. Spacewalk extended." There are two or three 360° videos "The ISS Experience", one for example from the stereoscopic cockpit of a T-38 Talon trainer jet of Nasa. But the one I mean was "Spacewalk extended." I ran into this unsuspicous, and unprepared. Which was a great gift.

What should I say. I had to break three times, wiping the tears out of my eyes. It was an emotionally most overwhelming experience. I had not expected that. The huge, complex structure of the station around me, its a labyrinth of substructures. The Earth, sometimes emerging from pitchblack, sometimes sliding back into it, the blue and white racing beneath me. The stark contrast between black shadows and white-like sunlight, so very different from shadows we are used to from living on the surface and in the atmosphere of planet Earth. Its one thing to see it in TV, or to read about it, to hear an astronaut talkign about it. Its a totally different thing to be there, to be immersed in it, all angles, all directions. The astronauts doing work on the structure. Man, you cannot imagine how huge this structure is, if you have not seen it the way I just have seen it, you just cannot imagine it. I was completely overwhelmed by the beauty of Earth, and the unbelievable fact that humans are able to build something like this structure, and in space. It kicked me into complete overload. Emotional security valves opened, thats why the tears, else I would have imploded.

It was spiritual. Something in this experience has anchored something inside me, changed something.

For heavens sake, if you have the opportunity to watch this in VR, then just do it. And do not watch it before, in 2D-360°, on a screen. Allow to meet this first in full stereoscopic true 360° 3D.

I tell you, this was intense. Very.

What a miracle all this is. Life. Earth. ISS. VR. Evertyhing. Its unbelievable, surreal.

Last edited by Skybird; 11-07-23 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-07-23, 06:10 PM   #204
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

There was a commercial version of the Joyrider on facebook marketplace. If I wasn't trying to seriously down size I might have bought it.
Old 11-09-23, 03:28 PM   #205
Skybird
Soaring

I am having a blast golfing away like a maniac in Golf+. That golf club grip I use makes all the difference.

While I do that, Meta hasn't been lazy either and mulls this update:

Old 11-10-23, 07:41 AM   #206
Skybird
Soaring

This will bring Subsim General Topics debates to a completely new level!

Trade blows, not arguments.
Old 11-10-23, 06:28 PM   #207
Skybird
Soaring

I love this Golf+, they just annoucned another 14 new courses in 2024. Whether one needs to have them all is something different. I play 36-45 holes per day, but althoiugh I understood why the ball curves left and right when you drive it down the fairway, I struggle to correct those massive effets I add to it, unwantedfly. Its very difficult to strike correctly, I found , I play every 18 holes match with 40-55 over par. I also struggle to get the range form the drives, I hardly bring it over 220 yards.

Its a wonderful simulation, so easy and accessi ble to play and handle in mehjus and options and manouvering on the greens, but very difficult to master. I would never have thought that I would ever dive this deep into Golf. The golf club adapter I use makes the all decisive difference. It feels as if you play the rela game.

The courses also have their tpyiucla and unique atmospheres and styles, I just love it, with Sawgrass (very difficult, but beautiful), Yale, Olympia Fields, Southwind, Pebble Beach being my favourites. Currently 15 courses are avaialble, add the new 14 next year.

Very, very recommended - with a golf adapter. What Eleven is for Table Tennis, G+ is for Golf.
Old 11-13-23, 06:46 AM   #208
Skybird
Soaring

A new version of SolidSlime'S table tennis adapter has been released. Some pro players said the old one had - under special cirucmstances - tracking issues, but their needs are way higher than my low amateur orbit, I did not notice it. I am very happy with my version 1 of it.

Its also cheap, in price, not in quality.

https://solidslime.net/product/solidslime-adapter-for-eleven-table-tennis-on-meta-quest-3/?v=f06f4be9cc54
Old 11-13-23, 02:50 PM   #209
Skybird
Soaring

What I have not expected is that my mother, 75 years, is so crazy about VR and especially Golf+. We have repeatedly spend 2-3 hours online now, playing on a golf course, or playing Minigolf in Walkabout Minigolf. She's getting crazy about both, she absolutely loves it, wants to get a gof club adapter, too. She trains her swings and drives - daily. She needs a lot of practice, and competitive her golf play is not - but she absolutely loves it, and so we can meet and chat online easily and spend some time, with plenty of laughing. Great setup! It was terribly grea and wet and trist today - but we both escped the lousy mood outside by spending time on a cozy round at Olympia Fields at late afternoon.

She played 42 over par. But that is not relevant. The good vibes and the plenty of laughter were what counts.

External powerbank use recommended.
Old 11-13-23, 05:23 PM   #210
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
What I have not expected is that my mother, 75 years, is so crazy about VR and especially Golf+. We have repeatedly spend 2-3 hours online now, playing on a golf course, or playing Minigolf in Walkabout Minigolf. She's getting crazy about both, she absolutely loves it, wants to get a gof club adapter, too. She trains her swings and drives - daily. She needs a lot of practice, and competitive her golf play is not - but she absolutely loves it, and so we can meet and chat online easily and spend some time, with plenty of laughing. Great setup! It was terribly grea and wet and trist today - but we both escped the lousy mood outside by spending time on a cozy round at Olympia Fields at late afternoon.

She played 42 over par. But that is not relevant. The good vibes and the plenty of laughter were what counts.

External powerbank use recommended.
It's great that you can play with your mom. It's probably really good for her in many ways too!