SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-02-22, 07:05 AM   #3346
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

It's not so much a fascination as an apprehension. Trump plunged the United States into the open outbreak of a systemic constitutional crisis that had already been smoldering before, he crashed the system so obviously that it could no longer be denied. The majority of the Republicans is still a Trump lobby organization - which will live on even without its figurehead Donald Trump. The mutual and thus all-state self-blockade of the two parties in the U.S. is a prime example of how right the former mayor of West Berlin and later German President Richard von Weizsäcker was when he said: "The political parties have made the state their prey." This is true not only in Germany. Practically every Western state, and beyond the West anyway, must feel described. Especially the USA.
Old 04-02-22, 07:26 AM   #3347
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
It's not so much a fascination as an apprehension. Trump plunged the United States into the open outbreak of a systemic constitutional crisis that had already been smoldering before, he crashed the system so obviously that it could no longer be denied. The majority of the Republicans is still a Trump lobby organization - which will live on even without its figurehead Donald Trump. The mutual and thus all-state self-blockade of the two parties in the U.S. is a prime example of how right the former mayor of West Berlin and later German President Richard von Weizsäcker was when he said: "The political parties have made the state their prey." This is true not only in Germany. Practically every Western state, and beyond the West anyway, must feel described. Especially the USA.
Well I was trying to be funny but ok. Call it fascination or a distraction. Trump is not President and if he is again it won't be until Jan 20 2025. Meanwhile the current President is driving the clown car off a cliff. His approval/disapproval numbers have been under water since August of last year. His Presidency is failing and you are still talking about the last guy. I don't think you are paying attention or you are but just don't want to talk about it.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-22, 07:37 AM   #3348
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

Biden must have went to the same school has Carter
Old 04-02-22, 08:36 AM   #3349
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
Well I was trying to be funny but ok. Call it fascination or a distraction. Trump is not President and if he is again it won't be until Jan 20 2025. Meanwhile the current President is driving the clown car off a cliff. His approval/disapproval numbers have been under water since August of last year. His Presidency is failing and you are still talking about the last guy. I don't think you are paying attention or you are but just don't want to talk about it.
Biden is what he is and pretty much what was to be expetec, but I said it before: he handles the Ukriane cirsisa better than was to be expected, and certainly better than Trump would have. Considering that Trump still is the most oliekly candiodate of the GOP for next predidfnetial race, it is justified to be concered. It would be his seocnd temr and thus he would not not have tol hold him back again at all, it can only get much worse than the foirst time. And the shockwaves of it is to be felt far beyond the national Americana borders - thats why us foreigners eye him closely, too. We must. Biden and your internal domestic polcies, ont he othe rhand, is of less interest and your internal national affair more or less, so all that picking and hacking I take note of, but do not further invest interest into. Its your business, nor ours.

You guys should not imply always that I am pro Biden. I am not. But compared to Trump I prefer him as the far lesser evil. And in some regards he performs better than I expected, so: credit where credit is due (giving that seems to be not possible in the extremely polarized political climate within the US anymore, I am aware of that, but as a foreigner I must not follow that exmaple myself, too). Domestic politics in the US seem to be run by a doctrine of "MAB": the parties' mutual assured blockading if not destruction, the national interest and pragmatic realites seem to not be relevant anymore. Further driven is this, beside Trumpists, by the ever faster happening ethnic change of the US population that changes the electorate's preferences and put Republican power claims at risk, and the more this happens, the more destructive the Republican rants become , and the leftier the left wing in the Democratic party starts pushing: action and reaction and counter-reaction and...

This increasing distance between the parties' power interests and the higher common interest of the people and national state reason can be observed in practically every Wetsenr nation nowadays, and each interporets this "topic" in its own individual colour and flavour. Its the reaosn why I am for banning all political parties alltogether and have only individual represenativies up for voting (in principle, there is of course more complexity to this topic). We still are primitive tribal barbars hopping arund a tribal totem in tact to the drumming bongos. If one wants to understand how oparty plltics work and what their relation is to their members, one only needs to study football fans and their reactions to losses and victories of their team, that teaches you all you need to know. Its primitive and archaic, and appeals to lower instincts and emotions.

No other national domestic policies have as far reaching consequences for other nations, than America's, and that is why they all keep watching the US closely. They must, because the US internal things touches upon other nations' vital and essential self interests. "If America coughs, all the world gets a cold."

And if you want to see how a national leader can realyl mess up the handling of the ukraine crisis, compare Biden to Germany's Olaf Scholz (or Holy Mother Merkel before). Then you immediately will adore Biden much more. Necessarily.
Old 04-02-22, 08:47 AM   #3350
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
I think it should be obvious by now-That Trump was so hated that a huge group of American, that they would gladly put their vote on a dog to President as long Trump didn't win.

Said otherwise Biden may suffer from certain psychological things-this doesn't matter Trump isn't in the White House anymore and that is what counts among this huge group of Americans and a huge percentage of people in the rest of the world.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-22, 09:13 AM   #3351
u crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
You guys should not imply always that I am pro Biden. I am not. But compared to Trump I prefer him as the far lesser evil.
I disagree. In politics what matters is results. And in that regard Trump is miles ahead of Biden in every single category. The economy, Covid , energy independence, fuel prices, inflation, illegal immigration, domestic policies, etc. Trump was better in all those things. I'm no fan of Trump and I hope he goes away. That being said I don't believe for one minute that Trump is a danger to the country that his enemies portray him to be. To them he is the gift that keeps on giving but to their own peril. And because of that Joe Biden is President. And if you don't think an administration could get any more inept just wait. Kamala Harris is a heart beat or the 25th Amendment away from the big chair. Good grief. It is a clear indication that for career politicians failing up is the norm.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 04-02-22, 09:23 AM   #3352
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Your President seems to have done a great job here what he wrote on Twitter

"Over the course of my presidency, our recovery has now created 7.9 million jobs—the most jobs created over the first 14 months of any presidency, in any term, ever. "

if this is true or not I can't say. I posted it because of your discussion about the former President and the one today.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-22, 09:24 AM   #3353
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
I disagree. In politics what matters is results. And in that regard Trump is miles ahead of Biden in every single category. The economy, Covid , energy independence, fuel prices, inflation, illegal immigration, domestic policies, etc. Trump was better in all those things. I'm no fan of Trump and I hope he goes away. That being said I don't believe for one minute that Trump is a danger to the country that his enemies portray him to be. To them he is the gift that keeps on giving but to their own peril. And because of that Joe Biden is President. And if you don't think an administration could get any more inept just wait. Kamala Harris is a heart beat or the 25th Amendment away from the big chair. Good grief. It is a clear indication that for career politicians failing up is the norm.

Well said!

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-22, 01:45 PM   #3354
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
I disagree. In politics what matters is results. And in that regard Trump is miles ahead of Biden in every single category. The economy, Covid , energy independence, fuel prices, inflation, illegal immigration, domestic policies, etc. Trump was better in all those things. I'm no fan of Trump and I hope he goes away. That being said I don't believe for one minute that Trump is a danger to the country that his enemies portray him to be. To them he is the gift that keeps on giving but to their own peril. And because of that Joe Biden is President. And if you don't think an administration could get any more inept just wait. Kamala Harris is a heart beat or the 25th Amendment away from the big chair.
Or a criminal indictment. Hard to be as corrupt as Biden has been for so many years before it comes back to bite him.

“While we do not know all the evidence yet, there are credible reports of wire transfers in the millions, emails from the ‘laptop from hell’ of Hunter, and guys like Tony Bubulinski who credibly describe a kickback scheme with the now-sitting president of the US as a beneficiary,” Trusty said.

“When you see millions of dollars pouring into the hands of a reckless and unskilled man, you have to at least ask the question of ‘What did these foreign governments receive for these payments?’”

Yeah, really.
Old 04-05-22, 02:34 PM   #3355
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

Skybird it is not about Trump, its about how our institutions are so compromised and corrupt they couldn't stand for an "outsider" to the political swamp to be elected.

I laughed when the media made a big deal about Trump's mean tweets hahaha. People here are a-holes, and if your not an a-hole in America you will be flipping burgers or much worse for a living.

It's not "e publius uniums" but welcome to the big ripoff, keep one hand on your wallet and the other on your CCW.

Otto Harkaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-22, 03:43 PM   #3356
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Harkaman View Post
Skybird it is not about Trump, its about how our institutions are so compromised and corrupt they couldn't stand for an "outsider" to the political swamp to be elected.

I laughed when the media made a big deal about Trump's mean tweets hahaha. People here are a-holes, and if your not an a-hole in America you will be flipping burgers or much worse for a living.

It's not "e publius uniums" but welcome to the big ripoff, keep one hand on your wallet and the other on your CCW.
I repeatedly said over the past years that I see Trump less as a cause and more as a symptom (that feeds back on the cause, however).

Voters get what they deserve. Warning: that is a tricky statement.
Old 04-07-22, 09:58 AM   #3357
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

ET2SN is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-22, 07:25 PM   #3358
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Only three Republicans voted yes. I'd love to hear why more didn't since she is better qualified than the sitting judges.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61026996

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-22, 07:38 PM   #3359
u crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
Only three Republicans voted yes. I'd love to hear why more didn't since she is better qualified than the sitting judges.
Their reasons would probably be the same as the Democrats who on October 26, 2020 voted against Justice Amy Coney Barrett, who would be just as qualified as Justice Brown Jackson. All 47 Democrat Senators voted against her. Any thoughts on that?

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 04-07-22, 08:10 PM   #3360
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Their reasons would probably be the same as the Democrats who on October 26, 2020 voted against Justice Amy Coney Barrett, who would be just as qualified as Justice Brown Jackson. All 47 Democrat Senators voted against her. Any thoughts on that?
Business as usual for today's political landscape and I'd love to here their reasons too, however, there remains a right leaning Court so an opportunity has been either missed or avoided in the Republican camp.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote