SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-27-23, 09:30 AM   #1
LaoHu
Swabbie

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0
Icon9 SH4 Crashing When Ranging?

So I recently started playing SH4 and I managed to get it to run satisfactory after a bit. I was doing the torpedo training mission to learn the new control layout of the game from III and when I pressed the ranging button and aligned the bottom of the second ship projected to the top and clicked to register it, the game froze and crashed to desktop. This happens every time I do it and I don't know what is causing it or how to fix it! I have the 4GB patch and LAA on, Windows 8 compatibility, run as admin, etc. Has anyone by chance encountered this before and knows how what I must to do stop this?
Old 08-27-23, 10:06 AM   #2
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoHu View Post
So I recently started playing SH4 and I managed to get it to run satisfactory after a bit. I was doing the torpedo training mission to learn the new control layout of the game from III and when I pressed the ranging button and aligned the bottom of the second ship projected to the top and clicked to register it, the game froze and crashed to desktop. This happens every time I do it and I don't know what is causing it or how to fix it! I have the 4GB patch and LAA on, Windows 8 compatibility, run as admin, etc. Has anyone by chance encountered this before and knows how what I must to do stop this?
Please, tell us if your game is modded or vanilla. I never see this problem in my SH4 (and I play it from 2008...)

Do you have SH4 1.5?

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-23, 07:53 PM   #3
LaoHu
Swabbie

I don't think it is modded, I don't see any mod file or JSGME but maybe it's in a different spot than I'm used to. I don't know the version, I think it might be 1.0? If you can tell me how to check it I'll get back to you with the info.
Old 08-27-23, 08:04 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

You can navigate into your game folder, find the SH4.exe file, right-click on it, then left-click on "Properties", look on the Details tab. About the middle of the page will be "Product version: 1, x, x, x", with the "x" there representing numbers. 1, 5 is version 1.5 with the U-Boats. That is also another way to tell which version you have, is if you have the U-Boats Career option, then you have v1.5...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-23, 04:11 AM   #5
LaoHu
Swabbie

Thanks, so mine is apparently 1.0 version. Does this have any bearing on its stability?
Old 08-28-23, 08:30 PM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Oh my... an original disk version? I had one of those, and when I lost it, I was not very upset... lol - It was almost as bad as SH5... or SH3... or SH2, when they all first came out...

Give this a shot:

Silent Hunter v1.4 Update

You will have to empty the Save folder (C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4), then put the new executable in your game folder, run it, and it will update your version to v1.4, which is much much better, though there are not very many mods left that run on it... If you want to use some of the "newer" mods (after 2008), you'll need a v1.5, aka: Gold Edition, with the U-Boat Missions. Ubisoft sells it as a software download still:

Silent Hunter 4 Gold DLC

Both Ubi and Steam still have it, and for usually $10US, but it will go "on sale" for $3US sometimes... and Labor Day is coming up soon...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-23, 01:27 AM   #7
LaoHu
Swabbie

Icon12

Thanks a ton. Yeah I got it off of an old copy my dad had so it seems he had the really ancient version. Is there an older version of the Real Fleet Boat mod that works for v1.4 or something like that?

Edit: I saw this video for a mod that adds the Soviet theater and it looks totally sick, does that work in 1.4 too or does it need 1.5 only?
Old 09-06-23, 09:24 PM   #8
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoHu View Post
Thanks, so mine is apparently 1.0 version. Does this have any bearing on its stability?
Indeed. You need to go to the ubisoft site and patch it to 1.4 OR buy Wolves of the Pacific UBOAT missions on steam or something. 1.0 was terrible.
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crash, game error, range, ranging