SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > Subsim Events & Activities > Eternal Patrol
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-03-22, 01:35 AM   #46
d@rk51d3
Sea Lord

Downloads: 193
Uploads: 0

Was only thinking of him the other day, wondering how he was faring.

Sad news.

Condolences to his family, and all his mates.
d@rk51d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-22, 05:35 AM   #47
VonDos
Admiral

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 48

This is sad indeed.

Rest in peace, condolences for his beloved

Vd

Those, others and WIP ships are avaiable in my SHIPYARD here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=136508
VonDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-22, 06:22 AM   #48
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

I read the sad news on Facebook yesterday. Steve had a huge presence here when I joined many years ago. Though I have not been nearly as active as I once was, I always checked in here every day, when able, to keep up on what's going on. Reading of Steve's declining health, the last few years had me worried about him. With the lack of word on him the last few months, I feared the worst but, hoped for the best. He was, and always will be, greatly missed around here. RIP Sailor Steve.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-22, 07:15 AM   #49
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Confirmed: Steve passed peacefully Tuesday, Aug. 30th.
Over the years I have spent countless hours talking to him almost on a daily basis via Skype but a couple of years ago all that came to an abrupt end without any prior warning.

Realising or should I say fearing all was not well I contacted Neal advising him of the situation and asking him to make efforts to contact him on my behalf but all to no avail which confirmed to me that something was seriously wrong.

This morning I have been made aware of Steve's passing and to say I am utterly devastated is one huge understatement.

Below is a post made by Steve over at Subsim which sums up the friendship and bond we shared for many years.

Quote:
We finally arrived at Neal's, and we finally at long last got to shake hands. And UnderseaLpcl. And Chad. And Chad's dad. And TarJak. And Dan the developer man. And Jimbuna...especially Jimbuna. I'm not sure what it was, because we don't really talk more than some others, and we don't have anything special in common besides excessive posting, but for some reason when he stood up I knew I couldn't just shake his hand; and I think he knew it too. So we gave each other a big hug. A big Manly hug, mind you, with the well-defined Manly back-slapping; but a hug nonetheless. And some others, I'm not sure who because we all met for sure the next day and I don't remember who all stayed extra late just so they could meet "Sailor Steve", whoever that guy is.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...63&postcount=1
Lay down your oars my friend and begin your eternal patrol.

Until we meet again.

Jim

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-22, 07:37 AM   #50
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

This thread is impressive. I hope somebody, Neal has made Steve's family aware of it, I think to read here and see what a big mark Steve has left in the mind of so many foreign people may be a comfort for them. Most people posting here never met Steve personally, and still many of us obviously found something in his interactions with others in the forums that impressed us quite much.
Old 09-03-22, 08:40 AM   #51
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Thanks for sharing the news, Neal.

RIP, Steve.
thank you for your help.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-22, 12:48 PM   #52
rik007
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 115

RIP Sailor Steve. You did a lot for this community. I wish your familly good lucky.
rik007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-22, 01:47 PM   #53
clayton
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 179

I was thinking about him the other day. Rest In Peace.
Old 09-03-22, 02:12 PM   #54
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Steve has been struggling with severe health problems for the past 4 years. I spoke with him earlier this year and his spirit was flagging but he was still the Sailor Steve I have always known.

Rest your oars, Sailor Steve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBBY:4/8/18
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Sailor Steve!
68! As a recent 67 year-old in my own right ...You've my complete ....empathy! < Picasso's Old Guitarist
Quote:
Originally Posted by B'day boy Sailor Steve
Well, I tried to avoid it, but here it is. I suppose I could have erased the date from my profile, but that would be cheating.

@Aktungbby: The Picasso picture is quite appropriate. I may not look like that but I sure feel it.

Thanks all.
As with Clayton and D@rk51d3, I was just thinking about him also. The Forum won't be the same w/o him

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-22, 04:54 PM   #55
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

This is very sad news indeed. Sailor Steve was a mainstay of Subsim and someone who had a deep impact on may of us here. When I migrated to Subsim form the old Wolfpack League, I was a bit hesitant about posting, social interaction never being a strong point for me; I finally posted a response to a thread, IIRC, about earthquakes, giving a detailed summation of the major quakes that hit Los Angeles between 1971 and 1994; I was surprised when there was an immediately follow post from Sailor Steve wherein he not only 'graded' my grammar, he also gave a critique of my exposition on the topic; thankfully, Steve gave me good marks on both...

I had a couple of PM experiences with Steve over the years; once, Steve had to admonish myself and a couple of other members who had gotten a bit heated about some topic; I felt I owed Steve an apology for causing him to have to intervene, so I sent him a PM with my apologies; I really didn't expect to hear anything back, but I was surprised when a response shewed up in my inbox; I thought for sure Steve was going to tell me I was brigged, but, instead he was very gracious in accepting my apology and in assuring me all was well on the matter; there was another time I felt the need to apologize to him and, again, he was gracious and conciliatory...

Sailor Steve was always a gentleman at heart and one of the most valued members of Subsim. When he began to be seen less often on Subsim, I, like others, feared for his well-being, given his health challenges; I kind of had the feeling he had "gone to ground", something I have noted about not a few of the people my age who are facing uncertainty over health and longevity; I only hope there was someone around him to ease his transition to peace; someone like Sailor Steve deserved not to be alone on the start of his final voyage...

I hope Sailor Steve has found his peace at last and that he is being rewarded for the good, good person he was, and, if the way he he has touched the lives and hearts of those he knew or knew him accounts towards the good, then his reward will be great indeed...

RIP Sailor Steve...

<O>
Old 09-03-22, 09:45 PM   #56
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54

RIP Sailor Steve.
Old 09-03-22, 10:11 PM   #57
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

Sailor Steve had a great sense of humor too.

I remember the first words he said to me when we met at Neal's house during the Subsim 2008 meet:

"I thought you'd be taller."

Jimbuna, I know that you and he were close friends. I am sorry for your loss too, shipmate.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock

Last edited by Kpt. Lehmann; 09-03-22 at 11:53 PM.
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-22, 04:28 AM   #58
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

Very sad news, R.I.P. Sailor Steve!
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-22, 08:41 AM   #59
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 488
Uploads: 4

RIP SS.
Old 09-04-22, 12:04 PM   #60
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt. Lehmann View Post

Jimbuna, I know that you and he were close friends. I am sorry for your loss too, shipmate.

Appreciated my friend

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote