SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-14-22, 05:19 AM   #1
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Help with .upc file

I'm trying to get a crew closer to real numbers in the Typ II U-boote of OMark Waters. Currently the Type II classes have a crew of 41, when the historical crew was about 25-26 (slightly varying depending on the source).

Things were going well, as I was changing stuff for the different compartments in the .upcge file (not only crew slots, also efficiency figures)... until I reached the Deck Watch crew. I can't find it in the .upcge file. Where is it located? I want to reduce the lookout slots from 3 to 2, but have no clue where to find it.

I've tried the search option of the forums but couldn't find anything related .
Old 08-14-22, 10:05 AM   #2
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I finally found it... You would think that given that the hull crew had the file next to the hull .dat, the conning tower crew would have it next to the tower .dat, but no .

Well, Ubisoft at its best.

For some reason the Crew Berthing refuses to change the number of slots. Tried different combinations of leaders and crew (1+2, 3+0, 0+3) but it always stays at 6. Nevermind, I'm quite happy as it is now.

Now, some testing .

Last edited by JapLance; 08-14-22 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-14-22, 12:29 PM   #3
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapLance View Post
I'm trying to get a crew closer to real numbers in the Typ II U-boote of OMark Waters. Currently the Type II classes have a crew of 41, when the historical crew was about 25-26 (slightly varying depending on the source).

Things were going well, as I was changing stuff for the different compartments in the .upcge file (not only crew slots, also efficiency figures)... until I reached the Deck Watch crew. I can't find it in the .upcge file. Where is it located? I want to reduce the lookout slots from 3 to 2, but have no clue where to find it.

I've tried the search option of the forums but couldn't find anything related .
another way to do what your seek is to just transfer off the lower skilled crew until you have the 25-26 that you want and then distribute them to the billets as you desire.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-22, 02:20 AM   #4
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Sure, there is always a cheap way and a proper way to do things .
Old 08-15-22, 10:49 AM   #5
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Sure, there is always a cheap way and a proper way to do things .
well, what you are trying to do can be done in different ways, some are quite complex.

i could give you a PB-style response where i describe how to build the clock when you really just asked for the time.

if you want to use a more sophisticated solution, send me a PM, and we can get down to it.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-22, 12:28 PM   #6
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thanks for the offer, but I already solved the problem .

Hard to do? no, but tedious. But now all my Typ II subs have proper crews .
Old 08-15-22, 12:29 PM   #7
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

wolf_howl15

A more... proper way, would be grand...

And... just to be clear, is not just only relegated to the Type II, on that... issue, but the other Uboats, as well... btw.

Is also, something, that is sorely needed on the fleetboat side of it, as well... BUT, that's another matter, altogether.

Just saying...

M. M.
Old 08-15-22, 12:38 PM   #8
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
A more... proper way, would be grand...

And... just to be clear, is not just only relegated to the Type II, on that... issue, but the other Uboats, as well... btw.

Is also, something, that is sorely needed on the fleetboat side of it, as well... BUT, that's another matter, altogether.

Just saying...

M. M.
What other subs in DW need something similar? Now I have it fresh in my brain and could try to expand it to other classes.
Old 08-15-22, 01:09 PM   #9
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
What other subs in DW need something similar? Now I have it fresh in my brain and could try to expand it to other classes.
The Type VII's, as well as the Type IX's... dunno about the XXI, XIII or the others after the Type IX's... to be frank.

Have only kept to the 7's & the 9's, in running any careers...

M. M.
Old 08-15-22, 01:33 PM   #10
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

OK. Here is a Type VIIb at the start of a Dark Waters career.

Total crew:56 (18x3 +2)

According to Wikipedia, should be between 48 and 52. I'll take it as 48 for a VIIb.

Where should we remove slots?
Old 08-15-22, 01:49 PM   #11
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
OK. Here is a Type VIIb at the start of a Dark Waters career.

Total crew:56 (18x3 +2)

According to Wikipedia, should be between 48 and 52. I'll take it as 48 for a VIIb.

Where should we remove slots?
That's the $1m question...

Know that it shouldn't be that many crew... when you start out. been trying to pin down definitive info on just how many were assigned to a uboat, according to uboat.net, the crew count was significantly less than 56... more in the 44-48 count.

Then, there's the whole... how did they break down the watch or crew rotations, exactly... to consider.

In a manner, the way that crew is handled in 3, is cleaner, in a fashion... a shame that there wasn't a SH4 version made of Commander. *sighs*
Old 08-15-22, 01:52 PM   #12
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

1 area... engines... could use a bit of paring down... as for where to do so on the remaining, to trim out... ugh... dunno.
Old 08-15-22, 02:11 PM   #13
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

My thinking for the VIIb:

Rear torpedo room: 1 guy per watch should be enough. When in Battle Stations it would leave 3 guys in charge of a single torpedo tube. 3 slots deleted.

Engines rooms: 2 guys per watch makes 6 in total when in combat situation. Not unreasonable. Another 3 slots down.

Control room: must be really crowded when in combat stations . 3 per turn seems more logical to me. 3 more slots that could be axed.

Also the Watch in the tower must be busy when in combat, with 4x3=12 guys looking for the enemy . If we remove one set of 3, that would make a total 12 slots that could be removed.

56-12=44. We could add 1 or 2 guys to the damage control party. That would make it a total crew of 46. Plus the Commander/Player , it's now quite close tothe 48 objective .
Old 08-15-22, 02:45 PM   #14
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
My thinking for the VIIb:

Rear torpedo room: 1 guy per watch should be enough. When in Battle Stations it would leave 3 guys in charge of a single torpedo tube. 3 slots deleted.

Engines rooms: 2 guys per watch makes 6 in total when in combat situation. Not unreasonable. Another 3 slots down.

Control room: must be really crowded when in combat stations . 3 per turn seems more logical to me. 3 more slots that could be axed.

Also the Watch in the tower must be busy when in combat, with 4x3=12 guys looking for the enemy . If we remove one set of 3, that would make a total 12 slots that could be removed.

56-12=44. We could add 1 or 2 guys to the damage control party. That would make it a total crew of 46. Plus the Commander/Player , it's now quite close to the 48 objective .
Ok, so... thus far, we have culled the following from the crew roster:

Left off, culling from the control room... as not sure which would be the best... not to mention, is a possibility to instead... cull from the forward torp room, the same # there... leaving the control room as is... just a thought here... with still following the outlined idea... keeping it to the projected & shot for crew round out to... 46, (with the kaluen rounding that out to 47) & thereby... getting as close t the bulls eye of 48...

though, to hit that mark, perhaps, rounding out the damage control team, to 3... thereby ringing the bell, right at that solid... 48.

If that last bit, can be achieved... that is.

M. M.
Old 08-16-22, 05:55 AM   #15
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Here's a first attempt for the VIIb:

https://mega.nz/file/8gAVxaSb#JqCfjQ...jmXo-z_QjVgcGQ

3 Officers, 4 Senior NCOs, 11 Junior NCOs and 29 seamen for a total crew of 47.

Unfortunately, the extra Damage Control Party member is missing, despite I added it. There must be something else that controls crews (or more specifically the DC team), and right now I can't find what it is.

Any feedback is welcome.