SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-03-22, 03:37 PM   #4696
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

As long as doing this doesn't mess with the Steam download while I'm struggling with setting up FOTRS mod in another area I'm good. But I'd hate to ruin what I already have trying to get something better and not succeeding. One of the problems is interpreting some of the instruction where getting "thrown" at us by other players.
It's not that it's not appreciated but as in the last post by propbeanie, after reading the post I was like...WHAT?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Effort is worth it. The stock game is such garbage compared to mods like FOTRS, you will be blown away once you do and be glad you took the time

I remember years back holding off on mods because seemed time consuming etc and at first, it is. Again, worth it. Just a heads up always give to the uninitiated who seem hesitant

"You know what the chain of command is?
It's the chain I get and beat you with till you understand who's in command."
-ME
hunter301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-22, 04:03 PM   #4697
Cmdr. Lennox
Seaman

Downloads: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
As per the first post in this thread, and on the download page, and in the documentation that is found in the Support folder of the mod, you MUST use v1.5 of Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific. You CANNOT use v1.3 or v1.4 (or earlier versions). You cannot be in a Program Files folder, you must knock the "Read-only" attribute off of at least the SH4.exe and FileManager.dll files, and then activate either LAA or 4Gig Patch on the SH4.exe file, and MultiSH4 on FileManager.dll. In addition, you might have to adjust the Compatibility tab settings of the SH4.exe file also, dependent upon your video card, driver and display monitor. It is recommended to activate the mod with JSGME, but be certain the folder paths are correct... I'm sure there are other pointers I am not thinking of right now...
Yeah, I know, and did, all of the above. And if I downloaded BOTH games via steam, it should be V1.5 or not?
Old 06-03-22, 06:47 PM   #4698
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmdr. Lennox View Post
Yeah, I know, and did, all of the above. And if I downloaded BOTH games via steam, it should be V1.5 or not?
To answer your question as long as you are downloading the U-boat add on after the initial download of the basic game then it should load up V1.5.
Not sure what happens with the bundle pack.
I've done it several time trying to solve the windows 10 resolution issue and it always loaded up as V1.5.

-ME
Old 06-03-22, 06:52 PM   #4699
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Effort is worth it. The stock game is such garbage compared to mods like FOTRS, you will be blown away once you do and be glad you took the time

I remember years back holding off on mods because seemed time consuming etc and at first, it is. Again, worth it. Just a heads up always give to the uninitiated who seem hesitant
Is there a link out there where it gives step back step instructions as to how to make this happen and what exactly it is you are doing and why?
For some we're not familiar with mod files or LAAs and all the many steps it seems to take to get this mod loaded or any mods for that matter. We're getting a lot do this, then do that but don't forget to do this..
Gets very confusing.
I would like to keep my Steam account and SH4 as it is so I always have it to go back to.
So I want to either download my either my Amazon download or my box version to a stand-a-lone file not in the Program files folder.

-ME
Old 06-03-22, 08:38 PM   #4700
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmdr. Lennox View Post
There is a "Wolves of the Pacific" start item, and a U-Boat Missions start item in the Steam app on your computer. I do not recall for certain the "shortcut" name, but anyone like Mad Mardigan or any other Steam user can tell you. If you install the v1.3 and then install the U-Boat Missions Add-On (v1.5), you will still be able to play both versions of the game. Some locations on the Steam site say that the Wolves of the Pacific is actually v1.4, but as you see on your menu, it lists it as v1.3, in spite of Steam's claim of it being "the latest update". The v1.4 Ubisoft update will NOT take properly on the Steam version of the game, and will ABEND, as they used to say, for ABnormal END, and will close. However, use the U-Boats short-cut (I know, you're playing US Fleetboats in the Pacific...), and you'll be in version 1.5 of the game. I am also not certain of the Steam folder layout, but it might be that the mod gets applied across both versions (??) and might actually run in the v1.5, if you get it started.

As to documentation, as I mentioned previously, the first post of this thread (REL Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate - v1.7p3) has all sorts of information in it. You can skip the Add-In Mod Pak, and Nippon Maru, Nihon Kaigun and Interiors mods links for now, but below those are several "hot links" and "Spoiler" buttons that further open the posting. The best place for step-by-step, including installing SH4, is found in the Support folder of the mod. There are 10+ pdf files in the "root" Support folder alone, including a Table of Contents pdf, that if you have Acrobat Reader, you can leave the TOC open, and go back and forth between the other files using the TOC links. There is enough reading material there to put a computer programmer to sleep - better than any "C" Language book...

There are several posts from various Steam users here about making multiple copies of your SH4 installs, and being able to apply different mods to each different copy. Just be sure to understand what they are talking about before starting. I can do my Steam SH3 like that with my eyes closed, but I do not have a Steam SH4... sorry.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-22, 11:54 PM   #4701
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter301 View Post
I would like to keep my Steam account and SH4 as it is so I always have it to go back to.
As propbeanie points out... I am a Steam... I hesitate to & am loath to say it, but... aficionado.

On that note... even though Steam... has 2 different versions of SH4:

Silent Hunter IV: Wolves of the Pacific v1.4 (or 1.3, juries still out on that.. but... as I recall, when I had this 1 installed, the load screen showed v1.4

then, there is...

Silent Hunter IV: Wolves of the Pacific: Uboat Missions v1.5 or known of in short as SH4 UBM

Now, here's the wild kicker of it...

To run UBM, you don't need both copies of SH4 from Steam, to do so.

Main thing is... to make sure that you have v1.5 installed (this is, the complete SH4 files & such, for it to run. Steam... in its... ultimate stupidity, bumbling greed (praying that users of their services are either too stupid or too blind, to realize this fact on the 2 different copy versions & the ramifications of such... ) or the ad hoc mix, of both... hope that it is NOT realized.

Even though I have access to both, picked up when I bought their 3-in-1 pack a bit back, so that I ended up with not only SH3, both copy versions of SH4 aforementioned, as well as... the dumpster fire 5... but that is all I shall say on the rest outside of 4... SH4, which is the main point here for this thread.

Now...

that said, the main 1 you'll want to look at if you want to mod out FotRS-U here, is of making sure to have v1.5 set up... in order to do so.

With Steam, it is possible... to do multi copying of SH4... though, the process to do so is, a bit fun doing.. BUT... immensely rewarding, once learned.

I learned, through hard earned trial & error, on how to do so... I now have... 11 copies, modded out with a wide variety of mod sets... FotRS-U, being 2 of those 11... & ALL 11, are v1.5

Hit Me up & I'll be more than happy, to walk you through the process.

M. M.
Old 06-04-22, 03:15 PM   #4702
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Default Volatile Lifeboat

On Gato out of Pearl October 1943. Tasked to patrol Area 11-B off SE coast of Formosa.

October 13, 1943 in patrol area at about 122-17E, 25-01N at 0940, met and torpedoed Akasisan Maru. Used two torpedoes out of stern tubes, but it turns out one would have done it.

She experienced multiple large explosions that obviously ripped out her bottom. She sank by the bow in less than 2 minutes. Just as she was going under, a large lifeboat astern of her suddenly erupted in a HUGE explosion! I don't know what it was carrying that might have caused it to blow up, but I'm glad I wasn't in it, for sure.

I'm only reporting this because I've never seen a lifeboat destroyed in any size explosion, let alone the massive one that tore it up. Perhaps they were carrying something special, but we'll never know. Suffice to say there were no survivors.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-22, 04:49 PM   #4703
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
On Gato out of Pearl October 1943. Tasked to patrol Area 11-B off SE coast of Formosa.

October 13, 1943 in patrol area at about 122-17E, 25-01N at 0940, met and torpedoed Akasisan Maru. Used two torpedoes out of stern tubes, but it turns out one would have done it.

She experienced multiple large explosions that obviously ripped out her bottom. She sank by the bow in less than 2 minutes. Just as she was going under, a large lifeboat astern of her suddenly erupted in a HUGE explosion! I don't know what it was carrying that might have caused it to blow up, but I'm glad I wasn't in it, for sure.

I'm only reporting this because I've never seen a lifeboat destroyed in any size explosion, let alone the massive one that tore it up. Perhaps they were carrying something special, but we'll never know. Suffice to say there were no survivors.

it was the group of sailors with the rum cache...then they caught a spark or piece of flaming debris from the Maru and....there went the rum.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-22, 05:20 PM   #4704
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
it was the group of sailors with the rum cache...then they caught a spark or piece of flaming debris from the Maru and....there went the rum.
Or.. just as likely, ship was carrying a load of ordance, that with being packed to the gills of.. (including... in the life boats, as well... ) some... sailors, slipped away with a life boat, intending to continue on to the designated delivery point...

Unfortunately, for them... some spark or flaming debris from the mother ship, going up like... a roman candle, ignited said stores on board & well... those poor hapless, souls... may have just as well stayed aboard that Maru.... for all intents &purposes.

A shame, that... too bad.
Old 06-04-22, 05:35 PM   #4705
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

I'd say the zon for the Life boat is set to high.
Old 06-04-22, 06:58 PM   #4706
Cmdr. Lennox
Seaman

Ok just a quick reply for everyone who might run into my proplems in the future:

I reinstalled SH4 and Uboat missions completly yesterday. I don't know which order they had the first time, but I made sure this time that stock SH4 gets downloaded first. That might have been the issue here. Works fine now.

Is it normal that theres very few traffic off honshu in early 1942?

Also, can't figure out speed setting or the tdc in general but for now, auto targeting does that until I figure it out haha.
Old 06-04-22, 06:59 PM   #4707
Cmdr. Lennox
Seaman

Quote:
Is there a link out there where it gives step back step instructions as to how to make this happen and what exactly it is you are doing and why?
For some we're not familiar with mod files or LAAs and all the many steps it seems to take to get this mod loaded or any mods for that matter. We're getting a lot do this, then do that but don't forget to do this..
Gets very confusing.
So I want to either download my either my Amazon download or my box version to a stand-a-lone file not in the Program files folder.

To be fair, FotRSU has very good instructions included in the readme. Maybe give it a try and you can always come back here if it doesnt work
Old 06-04-22, 09:26 PM   #4708
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Quote:

Wouldn't both games be trying to use the same "saved game" files in the generic folder location?
How do I protect my original game files while I'm trying to get FOTRS going?

BTW..I see your from Florida as well.
What part?

-ME
Old 06-04-22, 11:31 PM   #4709
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Wouldn't both games be trying to use the same "saved game" files in the generic folder location?
How do I protect my original game files while I'm trying to get FOTRS going?

BTW..I see your from Florida as well.
What part?
*sighs*

This... is where, MultiSH4 becomes your best... friend.

Using this, makes it where your game saves folders, for each & every mod set up you do, has its own save game folder.

It calls for a 3 letter or letter/# combi, to name the save folder... just make sure to keep it in mind, what ID for it that you use or used.

Hope this helps...

M. M.
Old 06-04-22, 11:41 PM   #4710
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Just watched this Youtube video regarding using JSGME V2.6 and from what this video is showing me all I would have to do is download it to my game file in Steam. It has a backup file that goes back to original if you cancel the mods.
Is this out of date information? It was made back in 2015 however it seems the same version of JSGME is being used.

-ME