SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-29-21, 02:23 AM   #3856
U-190
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 2338
Uploads: 0

Old 09-30-21, 07:13 PM   #3857
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The feller lost his Navy issued binoculars, and is just pretending he has them... It is actually a missing "call" for him to pick them up, so we'll need the details, as in the double-hatted crew above. Thanks. We are hoping to be able to hand this off for a final check to s7rikeback in a few days and then release a few days later, but don't hold your breath. This has not been a very pleasant modding experience this time around, and as mentioned, in more things than just SH4...
no, he did not lose his binoculars. that would be a court martial offense.
he dropped his coffee mug and the player just happened to take this snapshot.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-21, 07:19 AM   #3858
caps
Nub

Downloads: 64
Exclamation can't pan the deck gun left/right when load the mod

hi, could you guys please see what's the problem is this?
first, i played origin game v1.5 on steam, the deck gun(not the AA gun) can pan left/right.
second, i followed the instrustion of installing this mod exactly, and open and play the game witout problems. but when i tried to man the deck gun(not the AA gun, it's fine), i couldn't pan it left/right.

thanks if any of you could answer this question
caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-21, 08:17 AM   #3859
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The gun pans fine in the modded game here. For one thing though, when reporting a problem, saying the "i followed the instrustion of installing this mod exactly" and something doesn't function, you either need to consult the "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Front.jpg" and / or "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Back.jpg" files in the 'root' of the modded game folder and find if the keys for operation of devices is changed (a LOT of them are), or you need to consult the "ActivatingFOTRSU.pdf" and / or "Install Notes For the Various Versions of SH4 in Windows.pdf" and make certain that you "exactly" followed the instructions.

Number one thing, if something is wrong with the mod, we have no idea where to look to find it, because we have no idea about your install, nor your gaming situation. You mention "Steam", so this begs the question "where do you have Steam and the SH4 game(s) installed?" If you are in one of the Program Files folders, then that would be the main issue with your problem. If you have the game installed in a 'proper' folder, then the question is "did you extract and activate the mod correctly?" If the folder structure is incorrect from an improper extraction procedure, then you will not have a properly activated mod. If you do, then the question is "did you activate LAA or the 4Gig Patch?" Not activating, or not properly activating a 'memory manager' on the SH4.exe file will result in the game not having enough RAM to load completely, but usually results in an eventual, if not immediate CTD. If those are done properly, then the question is "did you delete the Save folder data before playing the modded game?" If you didn't, then you have a mix of what you had before, and FotRSU, which usually results in a myriad of oddball issues.

So first of all, post some detail of what you have done for the game install and the mod activation, etc., as well as details of the issue such as "sailing from Manila in a Sargo boat, assigned off Indo-China, and when I went to attack a sampan, my cannon would not traverse to be able to target it." One little detail of the modded game, is that you MUST apply a gun crew to the gun, even if only you will operate it. You need a gun crew for a timely reload, and to elevate and traverse in a timely manner. The stock game is like that also though...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-21, 11:04 AM   #3860
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1755

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0313 View Post
Does anyone know what original tracks the in-game music was taken from. Especially Joy number 5 and the opening music when the game starts.
I guess this question got overlooked. But I would really like to know if anybody has any info on the above mentioned music. I am putting together mood music for WW2 gaming and it is theatre specific. Thanks.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-21, 11:11 AM   #3861
Arlo
The Old Man

Downloads: 214

Quote:
I guess this question got overlooked. But I would really like to know if anybody has any info on the above mentioned music. I am putting together mood music for WW2 gaming and it is theatre specific. Thanks.
https://www.squareenixmusic.com/revi...thunter4.shtml

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2030634/..._=nm_ov_bio_sm
Old 10-06-21, 01:32 PM   #3862
J0313
Grey Wolf

Thank you for that Arlo but I was talking more about the specific music in FOTRSU. Its different from the original.
Old 10-06-21, 02:54 PM   #3863
propbeanie

Quote:
I should remember this, but I don't. I have had several videos taken down by YouTube because of the copyright on the music. In the notification, they mention the name of the piece, but I cannot find that in my old emails, nor in the deep deep recesses of the brain, where everything is on recess... I was certain also, that it was mentioned in the old FOTRS documentation, but cannot find it there either. If I find mention of it, I'll let you know. Or you could look on ToobYu for FOTRS and FotRSU vidz, and see if any of them are "flagged" for possible copyright violations... "Sole Survivor" was one of first that I had that issue, but it no longer has that "warning", so I don't know what's up with that...

Old 10-06-21, 04:20 PM   #3864
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

I think in the credits of FOTRS 1.3 or 1.2 is mentioned the music of the video, but I don't have FOTRS 1.3 installed now.

To my taste and because I love Milton poetry, I prefer the default video of vanilla SH4.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-21, 04:59 PM   #3865
propbeanie

I have looked in my mod archive with v1.2, v1.3 & the German v2.0, along with all of the updates and patches, and I cannot find mention of the composition in any of their documentations, when using a search. I have not gone through the ReadMe files line by line yet, to actually look with human eyes. I have also searched subsim with a site:subsim.com/radioroom SearchTerms search, and have not found anything, and again, I am almost certain it has been mentioned on here several times. It is a relatively well-known composition and composer, and I almost remember the name, but not quite... Searching my email archive has not turned-up anything from youtube either, but of course, Google bought them after my vids were flagged, so that database was probably dumped. Oh well. Maybe someone else will stop by with the name.

Old 10-06-21, 08:28 PM   #3866
caps
Nub

Downloads: 64
Icon12 can't pan the deck gun left/right problem in details

Quote:
The gun pans fine in the modded game here. For one thing though, when reporting a problem, saying the "i followed the instrustion of installing this mod exactly" and something doesn't function, you either need to consult the "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Front.jpg" and / or "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Back.jpg" files in the 'root' of the modded game folder and find if the keys for operation of devices is changed (a LOT of them are), or you need to consult the "ActivatingFOTRSU.pdf" and / or "Install Notes For the Various Versions of SH4 in Windows.pdf" and make certain that you "exactly" followed the instructions.

Number one thing, if something is wrong with the mod, we have no idea where to look to find it, because we have no idea about your install, nor your gaming situation. You mention "Steam", so this begs the question "where do you have Steam and the SH4 game(s) installed?" If you are in one of the Program Files folders, then that would be the main issue with your problem. If you have the game installed in a 'proper' folder, then the question is "did you extract and activate the mod correctly?" If the folder structure is incorrect from an improper extraction procedure, then you will not have a properly activated mod. If you do, then the question is "did you activate LAA or the 4Gig Patch?" Not activating, or not properly activating a 'memory manager' on the SH4.exe file will result in the game not having enough RAM to load completely, but usually results in an eventual, if not immediate CTD. If those are done properly, then the question is "did you delete the Save folder data before playing the modded game?" If you didn't, then you have a mix of what you had before, and FotRSU, which usually results in a myriad of oddball issues.

So first of all, post some detail of what you have done for the game install and the mod activation, etc., as well as details of the issue such as "sailing from Manila in a Sargo boat, assigned off Indo-China, and when I went to attack a sampan, my cannon would not traverse to be able to target it." One little detail of the modded game, is that you MUST apply a gun crew to the gun, even if only you will operate it. You need a gun crew for a timely reload, and to elevate and traverse in a timely manner. The stock game is like that also though...

thanks for your replay, really appreciated that.sorry for not post in details.

1.i played the original game v1.5 on steam with keys for operations default. i played submarine school -> artillery training EZ 1943 porpoise class. In this senario i could pan the deck gun left/right even without fisrt mange my crew on the deck gun. and the gun is reloaded.
2.when i install this mod, i deleted the save folder first in my computer "C:\Users\18981\Documents\SH4". And my steamlibarary locates in "F"".
But i didn't uninstall, completely delete my sh4, and reinstall before i activate the mod with JSGME. after i activate the mod, i activate the LAA on the SH4.exe.
Then i played the game and saw the mod worked because the interface has changed. i went to the same senario- artillery training ez 1943 porpoise class. and in this senario i myself couldn't pan the deck gun left/right. then
i mange the crew on the deck gun. they also can't pan the deck gun. But the can fire it on my command.
caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-21, 10:11 PM   #3867
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps View Post
thanks for your replay, really appreciated that.sorry for not post in details.

1.i played the original game v1.5 on steam with keys for operations default. i played submarine school -> artillery training EZ 1943 porpoise class. In this senario i could pan the deck gun left/right even without fisrt mange my crew on the deck gun. and the gun is reloaded.
2.when i install this mod, i deleted the save folder first in my computer "C:\Users\18981\Documents\SH4". And my steamlibarary locates in "F"".
But i didn't uninstall, completely delete my sh4, and reinstall before i activate the mod with JSGME. after i activate the mod, i activate the LAA on the SH4.exe.
Then i played the game and saw the mod worked because the interface has changed. i went to the same senario- artillery training ez 1943 porpoise class. and in this senario i myself couldn't pan the deck gun left/right. then
i mange the crew on the deck gun. they also can't pan the deck gun. But the can fire it on my command.
OK, first things first - I should have asked you how you are attempting to turn the gun? Using the F10 key to go to the gun position, and then using the mouse by a left-click and then bring your view to bear by dragging the mouse. It is slow though, remember that... Use the Tab key to zoom to the sight, use the up/down arrow keys for range aiming, then click Tab again for another zoom-in. The gun almost has to be crewed for any semblance of proper operation, even if you use it yourself. The two CPOs on the Damage Crew are the highest rated gunners, and then there are a few others in the 30s that are OK (don't forget to move them back to the Damage Crew to affect repairs). Once the crew are on the gun positions, you either have to click the Man the AA Guns menu button, and/or the Man the Deck Gun button, and then tell them to aim how you want them to, whether Free Will, Hull Line, Bridge, or whatever. It is usually easier to set them to Battle Stations with the B key, and then tell them how to aim. In that particular SS scenario, you have to hit Flank Speed as soon as you spawn into the mission, because you are literally a sitting duck. The NavMap shows a course laid in, but you do have to tell the boat to Return To Course with any one of a number of ways, or lay a new route in yourself, preferably with some turns so that the planes can't take too accurate of a bead on you. Then the F7 Crew page and get the AA guns manned and shooting, then the Deck Gun, and keep moving.

My deck gun crew didn't do so well, so I jumped into the position, and started shooting at the merchant ship, sinking it in maybe a dozen shots. In the meantime, the AA gunners were doing their best, shooting down two Mavis, but we also had several near-misses and took a good bit of damage, so we Crash Dived to get under and out of the planes' sight for a few while we attempted to tend to the wounded and patch the boat up. While diving, I noticed the 52% Hull Damage, so I caught the dive above 100 foot, and we settled on that depth, afraid we'd crush below that. After repairs, we then resurfaced a while later, and wouldn't you know it, there were still planes buzzing around, so the guys shot another one down, and that completed the mission and ended the scenario. Under consideration now, is a reduction in the number of planes... I mean, there are at least four Mavis and a similar number of Zeroes... That is a situation where a skipper would pull the plug, and deal with the ship with some torpedoes, not the deck gun... but then, it is practice, and it is a game... lol

Sighting the ship:

The two shot-down Mavis crew survivors (2 more planes in the background):

The damage incurred:

Injuries suffered (notice I have moved the gun crews back to the Damage Team):

The third plane shot down after re-surfacing:

Closing crew view:

Notice, I moved the torpedo room wounded into the Watch Crew Quarters, and moved the watch crews into the torpedo room, for the just-in-case. As it turns out, as often happens when taking tube damage, is that none of the four forward tubes were usable after repairs were completed, but they did quit leaking sea water into the boat...

Again, look at the "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Front.jpg" and "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Back.jpg" image files, and familiarize yourself with the boat controls. They are different from the Stock game, resembling SH3 more than SH4 assignments. If your guns still will not do the left-right, let us know, and we'll try to help some more.

Last edited by propbeanie; 10-07-21 at 06:12 AM. Reason: I don't know who typed this, but typo city!
Old 10-07-21, 09:52 AM   #3868
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
OK, first things first - I should have asked you how you are attempting to turn the gun? Using the F10 key to go to the gun position, and then using the mouse by a left-click and then bring your view to bear by dragging the mouse. It is slow though, remember that... Use the Tab key to zoom to the sight, use the up/down arrow keys for range aiming, then click Tab again for another zoom-in. The gun almost has to be crewed for any semblance of proper operation, even if you use it yourself. The two CPOs on the Damage Crew are the highest rated gunners, and then there are a few others in the 30s that are OK (don't forget to move them back to the Damage Crew to affect repairs). Once the crew are on the gun positions, you either have to click the Man the AA Guns menu button, and/or the Man the Deck Gun button, and then tell them to aim how you want them to, whether Free Will, Hull Line, Bridge, or whatever. It is usually easier to set them to Battle Stations with the B key, and then tell them how to aim. In that particular SS scenario, you have to hit Flank Speed as soon as you spawn into the mission, because you are literally a sitting duck. The NavMap shows a course laid in, but you do have to tell the boat to Return To Course with any one of a number of ways, or lay a new route in yourself, preferably with some turns so that the planes can't take too accurate of a bead on you. Then the F7 Crew page and get the AA guns manned and shooting, then the Deck Gun, and keep moving.
Jumping in here, there is a much easier way to train the gun to either side by using the Left or Right Arrow keys to move the RED Aiming Reticle. You can also accelerate the movement Left or Right by holding the Shift Key along with one of the Arrow Keys. Bear in mind that moving the RED Aiming Reticle to the target, quickly or otherwise, does not move the gun anywhere near as fast. It takes a bit for the gun to line up with the RED Aiming Reticle. I'm one of those guys who prefers to man the gun with crew, but then use F10 to do the shooting myself when it makes sense given the scenario. I'm a better shot most of the time than they are.

Using the TAB Key to magnify the view and then trying to train the gun using either the mouse or the Arrow Keys is a slow, painful process if they are shooting at you and you aren't aimed to the target. Better to get into the "normal" view and use the Arrow Keys to point the RED Aiming Reticle quickly, then let the gun catch up before going into the magnified view on the gun. Otherwise you may be just shooting off into space, because the gun stops swiveling as soon as you enter the magnified view. Once both the Aiming Reticle and the gun are trained on the target, the Mouse is best for fine-tune aiming, keeping in mind the UP/DOWN Arrow keys set the range in the two magnified gunsight views. That has to be correct too.

Hope this isn't confusing. I hadn't seen any mention of the Arrow Keys or hwo they work with the gun. I'll butt out now.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-21, 10:03 AM   #3869
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 314
Default Game Crashed

Quote:

I installed the game exactly as instructed and it crashed for no reason, at all... No, wait. I accidentally unplugged my computer with my foot. Never mind.
Michael Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-21, 07:00 PM   #3870
J0313
Grey Wolf

Default Music.

Thanks for looking fella's. I will do some more searching. At first I thought some of it might be from the movie, The Sand Pebbles but I was wrong.