SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-14-21, 05:37 PM   #3046
Nemesis Bosseret
Mate

Downloads: 88
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post

Rockin Robbins has the Sub Skipper's Bag of Tricks thread, that has several very useful tutorial vidz in it, including the Dick O'Kane method, as done in SH4, which was the way I usually did manual targeting, since one time I would get 2000 yards on a target with the stadimeter, and the next I would get 9700, or some such useless data, when in actuality, it was probably 4000 yards... so yeah, course, speed, 90, shoot... I only missed about 50% of the time like that... - I still don't understand how the stadimeter can be that far off for me, other than user error... ?? I dunno... But, while it's not compatible with FotRSU, CapnScurvy did Optical Targeting Correction mod, which can go on Stock or TMO, or several other mods and combinations. The part that will draw you to it is this:

which is a range dial... s-s-shweet... Our fingers are still crossed that he will take a break from his vintage vehicle overhaul long enough to give us an add-in mod of OTC for FotRSU. Fingers crossed, but not holding my breath... lol
God i hope he does because that would make my life so much easier. I totally blundered on two sea plane tenders only getting one torp to stick and a cruiser behind them. It was a very very sad day for me. If i had a Type 7 or 9 id have all three at the bottom. But nope just one to the stern around the screw and the rest wiffed so bad they got better odds of finding Antarctica than finding a ship. I almost wanted to blame it on the torps but there MK10s and they actually work compared to the 14s so i know it was something on my solution that screwed it up. I guess ill have to play with the position keeper and tinker with the range and solution to figure it out
Nemesis Bosseret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-21, 03:28 PM   #3047
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131

A comment and a question.

Comment: I did some testing and it appears that if you select the Aft Deck Gun and then populate the station with its crew, the disappearing crew slot bug does not occur. Once at sea, re-deploy the gun crew and their slots remain. I tried it three times with three different classes and the crew slots appeared as designed after every save.

Question: does FOTRS 1.46 have a hot key for the stop watch? If not, is there a spare hot key available for one in the future.

Awesome for the PTO, well done to all concerned. Now back to the long transit from Pearl to Area 7.

-C
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-21, 10:07 PM   #3048
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomizer View Post
A comment and a question.

Comment: I did some testing and it appears that if you select the Aft Deck Gun and then populate the station with its crew, the disappearing crew slot bug does not occur. Once at sea, re-deploy the gun crew and their slots remain. I tried it three times with three different classes and the crew slots appeared as designed after every save.
... and it is important that a person Saves prior to going to Battle Stations against the enemy, if you have swapped ends with the gun, or added a new double mount. If you do not Save, Exit and return, then the gun station will not show as manned, even though they are there. Once a Save has been done, all is well. But you have to make certain you have gun crew slots before you leave... We cannot guarantee 100% reliability, since it is, after all, Silent Hunter 4... (not forgetting that propbeanie helped mod it...)

Quote:
Question: does FOTRS 1.46 have a hot key for the stop watch? If not, is there a spare hot key available for one in the future.
According to my handy-dandy "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Front.jpg" (found in the main game folder), it should be <C> - does it not function correctly on your system? I am not at a proper SH4 computer right now... (the wife has commandeered the laptop for her email app thingie) - I don't want to say that too loud... she might hear me.

Quote:
Awesome for the PTO, well done to all concerned. Now back to the long transit from Pearl to Area 7.

-C
Thank you on behalf of the team. Smooth sailing and happy hunting - and may your boat not have HORS engines! (wouldn't that be cool if we could emulate them, like we can the dud torpedoes??)...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-21, 10:54 PM   #3049
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Quote:
According to my handy-dandy "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Front.jpg" (found in the main game folder), it should be <C> - does it not function correctly on your system? I am not at a proper SH4 computer right now... (the wife has commandeered the laptop for her email app thingie) - I don't want to say that too loud... she might hear me.
OK, but according to the Handy-Dandy Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific English language manual Page 41 (page 32 in the .pdf), the <c> key is for Crash Dive.
Quote:
(the wife has commandeered the laptop for her email app thingie)
I had SWMBO buy her own high-end laptop specifically to avoid such a peccadillo. Sharing computers is like sharing tooth brushes; no matter how close you may be, it's still gross.

Thanks.

-C
Old 04-15-21, 11:08 PM   #3050
propbeanie

Quote:
OK, but according to the Handy-Dandy Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific English language manual Page 41 (page 32 in the .pdf), the <c> key is for Crash Dive.
Ahhh... but FotRSU "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Front.jpg" key guide trumps the shtinking SH4 key guide anyday... Crash Dive is <Ctrl><D> now... lol - CapnScurvy did an excellent job on those former cardboard templates, so much so, that they look like the real Ubisoft SH4 Wolves of the Pacific issue... They just don't have the glossy print to them, unless of course, you use photo paper to print them out... Just remember, the <D> key for Dive does NOT stop at a pre-determined depth...

Quote:
I had SWMBO buy her own high-end laptop specifically to avoid such a peccadillo. Sharing computers is like sharing tooth brushes; no matter how close you may be, it's still gross.

Thanks.

-C
What's wrong with tradin' spit?... lol - the toothbrushes just wear out faster, especially if you use them to clean the tile grout... - but seriously, I just found this email thingie today. She has had the job for a few weeks now, and there isn't too much that comes across, but it is still there... lurking... interfering with the 3D display... stealing clock cycles... She also has a version on her fone... these people are nutz, being married to their company like that... Never out of touch. Anyway, depending upon the tax situation, my fingers are crossed for a new laptop...

Old 04-15-21, 11:28 PM   #3051
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Quote:
Ahhh... but FotRSU "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Front.jpg" key guide trumps the shtinking SH4 key guide anyday...
Perhaps it should have been renamed FOTRS_Q_Ref_Card_Front.jpg so that unimaginative, pedantic whiners can look there first. Just say'n.

Good luck with the taxes, SWMBO bought her laptop to do ours, she's as good at numbers as I am awful with them. Something that a career in the Field Artillery never managed to correct. (Let's see, angle of sight plus complementary angle of sight times range in thousands plus tangent elevation equals... Oh, hell, give her half a crank up and let'r rip.)

-C
Old 04-16-21, 07:01 PM   #3052
propbeanie

Oh, I'm really good with numbers, other than mine always end up as negative, or "in the red"... lol - we do owe Uncle Sam some money, which is better than him owing me money and not paying me interest for it this past year... although, I am paying him inflated dollars now... lol - like you: "give her half a crank and let'r rip!" we'll get there eventually to a nice balance.

Old 04-17-21, 12:38 AM   #3053
flaminus
Sparky

Downloads: 502
Uploads: 5

I notice that there is no radar warning upgrade (rader counter measure) in FOTRSU 1.46, while in TMO, which i previously played, such equipment is available in late war time. So i'm wondering is this equipment necessary in the game? Will the Japanese ships use radar to detect our submarines in FOTRSU 1.46?

anthor question: I frequently received contact reports and ship information in the radio and map, but when i caulating a proper course and speed to intercept them, i always failed. Only one successful interception out of more than 10 attempts. Does it mean that enemy ships usually change their course and a long-range interception in FOTRSU is almost impossilbe?
flaminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-21, 01:41 AM   #3054
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaminus View Post
I notice that there is no radar warning upgrade (rader counter measure) in FOTRSU 1.46, while in TMO, which i previously played, such equipment is available in late war time. So i'm wondering is this equipment necessary in the game? Will the Japanese ships use radar to detect our submarines in FOTRSU 1.46?

anthor question: I frequently received contact reports and ship information in the radio and map, but when i caulating a proper course and speed to intercept them, i always failed. Only one successful interception out of more than 10 attempts. Does it mean that enemy ships usually change their course and a long-range interception in FOTRSU is almost impossilbe?
Ahoy, flaminus...

To state, you have to remember, this IS a WW2 sub sim & mod to boot... it's NOT a modern 1... meaning, that the boys in the navy of then, did not unlike their modern day counterparts.. have access to nice, bright, shiny satellite's nor the boys behind the desks, analyzing what was captured by them...

So... your odds of doing a successful interception, will widely vary... from fairly good, if you're extremely lucky... to a snowball, wearing gasoline soaked under roo's.. making it through Hades, unscathed.. translating to... nil to none. (Sorry, My weird sense of humor rearing its head, oft times, at the worst time... )

Long & short of it... can try to calculate an intercept course, but... don't hold your breath on it being accurate... unless.. you are really NOT that far away when you get the contact report to base 1 off of it.. then, the chances are.. a wee bit better of having a chance at an intercept & even then.. that is probably a 50/50 proposition, at best... propbeanie, could chime in with a more... informed analysis here.. on My supposition & clarify that..

Hope this helps...

M. M.

Old 04-17-21, 08:37 AM   #3055
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68
Default Parker's Tincan in ID book

FORTSU 1.46, no other Mods.

Parker's Tincan, and Parker's Tincan II both have 0 tons listed as their weight.
Also ran across Kawanishi H6K4. with no picture.. An airplane in the ship ID book. On purpose?

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-21, 10:58 AM   #3056
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaminus View Post

If we can make a radar warning thingie, just like some other aspects of the game, not so "accurate", fine. We might put it back in. It's like several other aspects of the game that are just too "accurate", or spot-on in their results. But number one, the US did not have a radar detector, nor a BOLD until very late in the war. The decoys are there in the mod early, from previous versions of the mod, and will be replaced with another device before long... For the US, and for whatever reason, like the wakeless torpedo, it just was not considered "important" enough to "waste" spending US taxpayer money on new-fangled devices... sigh - "so, here's your fly-swat. Go sink us some ships."... lol - so they copied captured German "technology" - including its flaws... lol - and "yes", the Japanese did use radar in real life, and it is "modeled" in the game and mod, but perhaps a bit to "strongly"... they are on you like shtink at times...

As MM mentions about the contact reports, the contacts, especially in FotRSU and other mods, can be very difficult to track down. In Stock, the ships generally go straight as an arrow from point A to point B, only deviating slightly in their journeys to avoid land. In FotRSU, the groups will zig-zag constantly. Case in point:

Notice the highlighted Troop Transport group starts out of the Ise Bay and begins traveling in a generally southwest direction, but zig-zagging. Suppose the report comes in during one of the south-southwest jogs? and then just a few mile later, the group is going west-southwest? You'll never find it based on the report. Suppose you do get a report on it going southwest, and you're down by the Luzon Straits. You would assume it is coming toward you... but no:

It takes a little jog to the west and goes between the Ryukyus and Kyushu and heads for the Formosa Strait... You completely miss it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesn9 View Post
FORTSU 1.46, no other Mods.

Parker's Tincan, and Parker's Tincan II both have 0 tons listed as their weight.
Also ran across Kawanishi H6K4. with no picture.. An airplane in the ship ID book. On purpose?
Parker's Tincans are only used in the Sea Trials missions, and therefore are not used to better your renown score. The landed H6K in Stock does not have a sil file, and that has carried throughout most mods. We might rectify that in the next FotRSU release though... after all, you ~can~ sink them. They are listed in the Sea folder, since they are a "ship" sitting on the water, after all...

Now, you seeing this information, are you looking at them in the Museum, or in their folders? If you're in the Museum, we have to change the set-up for that...

Last edited by propbeanie; 04-17-21 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-17-21, 11:52 AM   #3057
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
As MM mentions about the contact reports, the contacts, especially in FotRSU and other mods, can be very difficult to track down. In Stock, the ships generally go straight as an arrow from point A to point B, only deviating slightly in their journeys to avoid land. In FotRSU, the groups will zig-zag constantly. Case in point:

Notice the highlighted Troop Transport group starts out of the Ise Bay and begins traveling in a generally southwest direction, but zig-zagging. Suppose the report comes in during one of the south-southwest jogs? and then just a few mile later, the group is going west-southwest? You'll never find it based on the report. Suppose you do get a report on it going southwest, and you're down by the Luzon Straits. You would assume it is coming toward you... but no:

It takes a little jog to the west and goes between the Ryukyus and Kyushu and heads for the Formosa Strait... You completely miss it...

To quote...

''Sometimes you get the bear... sometimes (more oft than not... ) Mr. Bear, gets ''you''...

End quote.

M. M.
Old 04-17-21, 03:21 PM   #3058
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
To quote...

''Sometimes you get the bear... sometimes (more oft than not... ) Mr. Bear, gets ''you''...

End quote.

M. M.
lol Well it's meant to add that element of confusion and unpredictability that real subs faced. Sometimes you find the contacts, sometimes you do not. Really is fun when find them though right?

I am contemplating redoing the single merchant layers in TMO for my upgrade, make them zig, they tend to travel a straight line and are too easy to track.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-21, 03:39 PM   #3059
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
lol Well it's meant to add that element of confusion and unpredictability that real subs faced. Sometimes you find the contacts, sometimes you do not. Really is fun when find them though right?

I am contemplating redoing the single merchant layers in TMO for my upgrade, make them zig, they tend to travel a straight line and are too easy to track.
Yep, makes it that much more.. challenging...

Am looking forward to checking out what you're doing with TMO.. by the way.

M. M.

Old 04-17-21, 09:47 PM   #3060
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO Re: What gives...???

Ahoy, team...

Ok, got a very weird one, here..

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Games\Silent-Hunter\SH4-Steam\steamapps\common\SH4-megamods\FotRS-U-EN\MODS]

FotRSU-EN v1.46
901_Strategic_Map_Symbols
452_MoonlightzSonarLines
SEA_LIFE_SH4
Nippon v1.2.1
Fleetboat Interior-Officers Quarters_FOTRSU v1.39 EN
International Radio mod
RadioStationManager
1-MM's Gramophone music mix

On patrol, in a Sargo sub, out of Manila... 1st operational patrol.

Orders were to patrol 10 days, around Makung observe & report activity in the area, as is believed invasion force will sail from here..

Ok, hot footed it there, cranked 4 speed... & on station. Get sonar report of a contact.. get its base heading & got ahead & waited for it to get in range.

On it getting to where I could ID it.. set up fish for it & waited for it to get in better range with torp doors open (2) 1 considering its small size BUT it being a war ship.. a 2nd, set up... just in case.

It gets in range & I find Myself in the middle of a very strange... mystery...

Patrol zone:

Target is a subchaser 13...

tubes I was set up with to attack, are the fore tubes & this is what I get yet on attack map.. no sign of the torp travel line:

Torp 1, fore - peri view:

Attack map, torp tube 1:

Now, when I go to check something... clicking on the aft torp tube, tube 5, to be precise I get this:

torp 5, peri view:

& torp tube 5, attack map:

Accordingly.. fore tubes are facing the target wrong... despite having My bow facing the right direction, with the target traveling from starboard to port... & is out ahead of Me.. add to that, after lock on... being told it is 30K from were I am.. when best guess.. 3500, to 4500 in front of Me, well would be when & if the right set of torp tubes was accurately locked on... that is.. when I would be unloading all holy hades on them, in the form of 1 torp kiss of death. If it doesn't dud out, that is... & they've gotten inside of that range when I go to fire the torps off...
YET, can't... as the wrong set of tubes (aft) are saying & declaring that they are the ones to be used... when they ain't.. as the aft end of the sub is most definitely NOT pointing in the targets direction....

End report.

M. M.