SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-13-20, 02:54 PM   #2296
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post
Well, I made it to my patrol area at 1X, arriving near Tokyo on December 24, 1941 Pearl Harbor base time, which would make it December 25, 1941 in Japan.
Just after sunset on December 23, 1941 I made contact with a merchant coming north right behind me. I made a successful approach and sank her.
Then on December 24, 1941, just after I surfaced for the night to head west into my patrol area, I made contact with a convoy consisting of a Tone Class Heavy Cruiser, sank her (3 hits) using Dick O'Kane method, attacked a Chitose Seaplane tender, damaged her (3 hits), I later did an end around and attacked and sank her and another merchant. I used all of my deck gun ammo trying to sink the Chitose before I put the final fish in her and while I was at that, I sank another small merchant with the deck gun. A total of 5, 2 warships, 3 merchants. I am now out of deck gun ammo and I am out of torpedoes, and that was on the first day in my patrol area. 4 out of the 5 ships sunk were in the patrol area. All were dark of night attacks by the way.
Now what? Do I return to base without completing my assignment to stay in my patrol area for 10 days?
I suppose I could infiltrate Tokyo Bay and take pictures...

Seriously, what happens if I return to Pearl without completing my assignment?

Merry Christmas Tojo!

"Your profligate use of torpedoes and deck gun ammunition now has you and your crew on report. Besides the excessive use of speed, resulting in a flagrant dereliction of specific orders to NOT waste Uncle Sam's Number 2 diesel fuel, which takes fuel away from skippers that can follow orders, has resulted in a second report on you and your crew. Such abusive behavior of the resources and equipment furnished you and your crew by the Department of the Navy will not be tolerated. Expect a reprimand upon return-to-base. You are to continue your patrol, and reflect upon your previous behavior. That is all. Confirmed results: One sunk, for 2350 tons, One damaged for 4200 tons. Other reported damage and sinkings pending"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
REMAIN IN PATROL AREA FOR REMAINDER OF ASSIGNED TIME X REPORT MOVEMENT OF ANY IJN UNITS OR TROOPSHIP CONVOYS OR MERCHANT CONVOYS SIGHTED X
- Excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beast View Post
It did not work for god knows whatever reason. I was in the bunker and I checked the upgrades section and there was no upgrade slot for the deck gun. Maybe I did something wrong in the file editing?
Here is my ActivePlayersUnits.upc file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Nvm...ew?usp=sharing

Can you tell me if I did something wrong?
Ratz. "Access Denied" - It says I need permission to view the file. I am logged into my Google Drive account...

Did you use the most recent one, and did you get that one from a numbered folder (ie: "0000004a" or similar)??

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-20, 11:20 PM   #2297
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375
Uploads: 0

1.24 runs fine if i start in manila in dec of 41 but if i try out of pearl it crashes to desktop every time even if i remove all mods but 1.24
Old 12-14-20, 12:26 AM   #2298
propbeanie

Did you empty the Save folder prior to running FotRSU? The default is "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4", unless you are using MultiSH4. Navigate into the Save folder and delete "data", or go into that folder and delete "cfg" there. Or just delete the whole SH4 folder in Documents. The game will re-create it when you run it again, though you will lose all progress thus far, as well as all of your user settings.

Old 12-14-20, 12:39 AM   #2299
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Did you use the most recent one, and did you get that one from a numbered folder (ie: "0000004a" or similar)??
I am such a moron did not check for the most recent save. Biggest noob mistake ever...

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-20, 09:44 AM   #2300
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215
Default Confirmation and suspicions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesn9 View Post
Let me know if more details would help fix this.
2nd patrol, Tambor from Pearl started Feb. 24 1942.
Zone 4, patrol for 5 days, saved after getting in zone and also about 1 day later(saves OK)

3 days in zone, first targets A midget sub and a Sentaka-Dai Sub. sank the big one, midget acted like DD, circling etc.
Saved, didn't check save at that time, found out later that it comes up with gauges at high noon.
2 days later sank Passenger-cargo freighter, saved.
Next time I played this save and prior save came back with gauges at high noon.
previous saves OK.
Fortsu v1.26p no other mods, Win 7 64 bit. LAA.

Any comments?
I can confirm that [Saving/Closing FOTRSU/Starting FOTRSU/Loading] after sinking Warship targets resulted in the "gauges at high noon" issue. Also note that the mouse no longer controls the Sonar Sound Head in the Sonar Station even though the readout on the left side of the screen tracks the mouse.

After sinking 3 targets (2 Warships, 1 Merchant), I made several saves, each one independent of the other, as I continued to play, clearing the area. As I cleared the area on the surface at night, I frequently checked the Sonar Sound station manually sweeping with the mouse. I noticed green light sound indications to the side and behind me. I thought perhaps some ships had slipped by unnoticed so I altered course to chase them down. As I passed one of the already sunken vessel icons, the sound signal tracked behind me. I checked the bearings for the 2 other sound sources and sure enough, they pointed to the already sunken vessels.
As I continued to play (at 1X speed) for a few hours, I made several more save games enroute, each one independent of the other. I continued to track the already sunken sound sources for quite awhile as I proceeded to another destination in my Patrol Area. It was getting late in the day IRL and I saved and quit SH4.
This morning, I fired up SH4 and loaded my last save game and it came up with guages at "High Noon" and the mouse did not operate the sonar head.
I experimented quite a bit and discovered that my last GOOD save game was right before I sunk my first Jap Warship Target. I repeated this test several times. All of my save games after that point result in gauges at "High Noon".

I suspect that the fact that the sunken vessels continued to emit a sound signature may have something to do with this issue.

I will prosecute the target from my last good save game. I had a very good approach so I will be able to sink the Heavy Cruiser. After I sink the first Warship target, I will save the game and see if when I Quit/Start/Reload if it comes up with guages at 'High Noon".

On the way to my Patrol Area, I sunk a Fast Hansa Merchant Target and I had no issues with the save game following that sinking. I was not in my Patrol Area.

[EDIT] I loaded the GOOD save game I made after sinking the Fast Hansa Merchant (7590 tons). It does NOT show up in my Sonar Sound Head sweep. It is quiet where the ship has sunk. I am 9000 yards from sunken ship. I changed course and drove the boat closer and it remains quiet. I then loaded the BAD save game made after I had sunk the Heavy Cruiser Tone Class (15200 tons), Medium Modern Composite Freighter (3391 tons), Seaplane Tender Chitose Class (9000 tons), and another Medium Modern Composite Freighter (3381 tons vs 3391 tons (above) vs ONI41-42 book 3380 tons ?). There is a surviving Modern Passenger Liner (5083 tons) nearby and I am picking up Sound from the her on Sonar Sweep at the correct bearing but the mouse no longer controls Sound Head and all gauges are "High Noon". I am NOT picking up any Sound from the last two sunken ships on any bearing, they are quiet. I am within 5000 yards of their position. After loading another BAD save game, one of the sunken ships can be heard banging on the bottom? All gauges are stuck at "High Noon." I am at Full Stop. I am in excess of 1000 feet of water. I am 2000 yards from her sunken position.
Let me reiterate that at the time the save games were made I was able to detect sound from sunken ships at a great distance in excess of 10,000 yards. I am sure of this because as I was clearing the area, I picked up Sound and investigated as described above.
Right now, the only working save game I have was made prior to my encounter with Warships in my Patrol Area. ALL saves made after that initial sinking are BAD.
There are clues in here somewhere...

mikesn9, you were in your Patrol Area when you encountered this issue. In your post you mentioned that you had sunk a Jap Sub Warship. Do you remember if you checked your sound head to see if it continued to track the sunken vessel?

There are several rabbit holes to go down here...

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".

Last edited by Front Runner; 12-14-20 at 11:45 AM.
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-20, 10:58 AM   #2301
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

Quote:
Did you empty the Save folder prior to running FotRSU? The default is "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4", unless you are using MultiSH4. Navigate into the Save folder and delete "data", or go into that folder and delete "cfg" there. Or just delete the whole SH4 folder in Documents. The game will re-create it when you run it again, though you will lose all progress thus far, as well as all of your user settings.
thanksi thought i had the folders all clean out but did what you said and deleted the whole folder and that fix it
Old 12-14-20, 01:13 PM   #2302
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Quote:
I can confirm that [Saving/Closing FOTRSU/Starting FOTRSU/Loading] after sinking Warship targets resulted in the "gauges at high noon" issue. Also note that the mouse no longer controls the Sonar Sound Head in the Sonar Station even though the readout on the left side of the screen tracks the mouse.

After sinking 3 targets (2 Warships, 1 Merchant), I made several saves, each one independent of the other, as I continued to play, clearing the area. As I cleared the area on the surface at night, I frequently checked the Sonar Sound station manually sweeping with the mouse. I noticed green light sound indications to the side and behind me. I thought perhaps some ships had slipped by unnoticed so I altered course to chase them down. As I passed one of the already sunken vessel icons, the sound signal tracked behind me. I checked the bearings for the 2 other sound sources and sure enough, they pointed to the already sunken vessels.
As I continued to play (at 1X speed) for a few hours, I made several more save games enroute, each one independent of the other. I continued to track the already sunken sound sources for quite awhile as I proceeded to another destination in my Patrol Area. It was getting late in the day IRL and I saved and quit SH4.
This morning, I fired up SH4 and loaded my last save game and it came up with guages at "High Noon" and the mouse did not operate the sonar head.
I experimented quite a bit and discovered that my last GOOD save game was right before I sunk my first Jap Warship Target. I repeated this test several times. All of my save games after that point result in gauges at "High Noon".

I suspect that the fact that the sunken vessels continued to emit a sound signature may have something to do with this issue.

I will prosecute the target from my last good save game. I had a very good approach so I will be able to sink the Heavy Cruiser. After I sink the first Warship target, I will save the game and see if when I Quit/Start/Reload if it comes up with guages at 'High Noon".

On the way to my Patrol Area, I sunk a Fast Hansa Merchant Target and I had no issues with the save game following that sinking. I was not in my Patrol Area.

[EDIT] I loaded the GOOD save game I made after sinking the Fast Hansa Merchant (7590 tons). It does NOT show up in my Sonar Sound Head sweep. It is quiet where the ship has sunk. I am 9000 yards from sunken ship. I changed course and drove the boat closer and it remains quiet. I then loaded the BAD save game made after I had sunk the Heavy Cruiser Tone Class (15200 tons), Medium Modern Composite Freighter (3391 tons), Seaplane Tender Chitose Class (9000 tons), and another Medium Modern Composite Freighter (3381 tons vs 3391 tons (above) vs ONI41-42 book 3380 tons ?). There is a surviving Modern Passenger Liner (5083 tons) nearby and I am picking up Sound from the her on Sonar Sweep at the correct bearing but the mouse no longer controls Sound Head and all gauges are "High Noon". I am NOT picking up any Sound from the last two sunken ships on any bearing, they are quiet. I am within 5000 yards of their position. After loading another BAD save game, one of the sunken ships can be heard banging on the bottom? All gauges are stuck at "High Noon." I am at Full Stop. I am in excess of 1000 feet of water. I am 2000 yards from her sunken position.
Let me reiterate that at the time the save games were made I was able to detect sound from sunken ships at a great distance in excess of 10,000 yards. I am sure of this because as I was clearing the area, I picked up Sound and investigated as described above.
Right now, the only working save game I have was made prior to my encounter with Warships in my Patrol Area. ALL saves made after that initial sinking are BAD.
There are clues in here somewhere...

mikesn9, you were in your Patrol Area when you encountered this issue. In your post you mentioned that you had sunk a Jap Sub Warship. Do you remember if you checked your sound head to see if it continued to track the sunken vessel?

There are several rabbit holes to go down here...

Yes, I was getting sound from the sunken ship. However,this not the only time that has occurred. It hasn't seemed to be related to 'high noon' so far.
I was in my zone, 'near' Japan mainland, one of Propbeanie's mention of possible causes. No planes or munitions active.

before questions: FOTRSU v1.26p, LAA, C:\SH4, win 7 64 bit, no tab outs to windows.
MODS:
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisofdt\Wolves Of The Pacific\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.24_EN
101_Patch_v1.2To_v1.26p

I do have a question for Prop or Marco:
Are there any other add-on mods I should be using to help out here.
It IS getting frustrating to be doing well and then have it blow up in my face.
I'm thinking, if there are add-ons, to start with pristine and work up, restarting from scratch.

I spent the cold war under water.

Last edited by mikesn9; 12-14-20 at 01:38 PM.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-20, 03:16 PM   #2303
propbeanie

We were suspecting the add-in mods of causing a couple of issues, but I have now encountered the standing still Split Merchant, and we now have more suspects. s7rikeback is trying to clean-up old issues right now, and I think we might have the issue resolved. If Front Runner remembers the CareerStart issue and the Time of Day relationship (not an obvious relative), then he would understand somewhat of this "relationship". What I suspect is happening, is that one of the ships sunk - we will check-out ~all~ ships - has a configuration issue of one form or another. That "corrupt" data, as happens too often in the game, "corrupts" the whole pot of data (one bad byte does spoil the whole apple), so when you "Save" bad data, that's what the game works with when you re-load... If we can find and eliminate all bad configurations, we hope to eliminate most of the "bad" Saves. It seems, if something is corrupted badly enough, that's when the game can't decide what to load, so it hangs on the re-load... otherwise, it knows something is incorrect, but not so bad it can't re-load, so the gauges go 12 O'Clock High instead, and the sonar "fix" no longer is a "fix"... maybe... We hope to find out in a couple of days. Updates to follow. But there is no "fix" for this situation, only an avoidance, so that's what the fix will be...

Old 12-14-20, 03:54 PM   #2304
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Quote:
What I suspect is happening, is that one of the ships sunk - we will check-out ~all~ ships - has a configuration issue of one form or another...
Start looking at the Chitose as that is the only ship consistent in both of my 2 different bad saves. There is a Convoy which departs Tokyo Bay area on 12/25/1941 (12/24/1941 Pearl Harbor Base Time) in the vicinity of Tokyo Bay heading 165. It consists of a Heavy Cruiser, Chitose and 1 to 3 varying merchants. In one scenario, I sunk the MAYA class, in another, I sunk the Tone class Heavy Cruiser. The Chitose took 4 torpedos to sink in both scenarios while the Heavy Cruiser only took 3 to sink in both scenarios.

I'll play the attack scenario again to see what happens. I've got a good save just as I turned to a 90 degree track using Dick O'Kane method. If after i sink the Heavy Cruiser and get a good save that would also point to the Chitose...

Old 12-14-20, 04:35 PM   #2305
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

PB I'm glad to report my issue has been resolved- partially.
The 5 in 25 cal deck gun is there

But no crew can man it

And when I tell the crew to man the deck gun, there is a reply but no one shows up. When i check crew management i see the box for the deck gun lit up as if there is some crew there.

Any ideas?

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-20, 04:46 PM   #2306
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

What are the primary causes for failure to load a game? The black screen of death (no challenge too great, IIRC) appears but never completes. The old CTDs owing to a bad save are a thing of the past, but the BSOD is relatively new and frequent. For instance, I had a fantastic patrol going when I encountered a large convoy in bad weather, my favorite scenario, south of Tokyo. I saved it after waiting between 2-3 minutes at 1x, then continued the game after the save. Mid-battle, other duty called, and I had to shut down. When I attempted several times to restart, I got the BSOD instead. Even left to run overnight, the game never loaded. I can go back to the previous save but it was days earlier and off Miyazaki, so finding that particularly juicy convoy would be unlikely.

USS Jack, ex-Midway, June 1944, assigned to infiltrate Okinawa, then went hunting Ozawa in the SBS and returning to base via Convoy College and Empire waters.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-20, 04:56 PM   #2307
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
What are the primary causes for failure to load a game? The black screen of death (no challenge too great, IIRC) appears but never completes. The old CTDs owing to a bad save are a thing of the past, but the BSOD is relatively new and frequent. For instance, I had a fantastic patrol going when I encountered a large convoy in bad weather, my favorite scenario, south of Tokyo. I saved it after waiting between 2-3 minutes at 1x, then continued the game after the save. Mid-battle, other duty called, and I had to shut down. When I attempted several times to restart, I got the BSOD instead. Even left to run overnight, the game never loaded. I can go back to the previous save but it was days earlier and off Miyazaki, so finding that particularly juicy convoy would be unlikely.

USS Jack, ex-Midway, June 1944, assigned to infiltrate Okinawa, then went hunting Ozawa in the SBS and returning to base via Convoy College and Empire waters.
i've seen the black screen at start-up previously. there is usually an error message box hiding behind the black screen. very hard to get to it because of the lack of cooperation between Win10 and Ubi.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-20, 04:58 PM   #2308
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beast View Post
And when I tell the crew to man the deck gun, there is a reply but no one shows up. When i check crew management i see the box for the deck gun lit up as if there is some crew there.

Any ideas?
at this point, i think you can use the regular No-crew-on-the deck-gun-fix. it requires an edit of the ActiveUserSavefile. can you do that?
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloa...o=file&id=5641

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-20, 07:49 AM   #2309
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Quote:
We were suspecting the add-in mods of causing a couple of issues, but I have now encountered the standing still Split Merchant, and we now have more suspects. s7rikeback is trying to clean-up old issues right now, and I think we might have the issue resolved. If Front Runner remembers the CareerStart issue and the Time of Day relationship (not an obvious relative), then he would understand somewhat of this "relationship". What I suspect is happening, is that one of the ships sunk - we will check-out ~all~ ships - has a configuration issue of one form or another. That "corrupt" data, as happens too often in the game, "corrupts" the whole pot of data (one bad byte does spoil the whole apple), so when you "Save" bad data, that's what the game works with when you re-load... If we can find and eliminate all bad configurations, we hope to eliminate most of the "bad" Saves. It seems, if something is corrupted badly enough, that's when the game can't decide what to load, so it hangs on the re-load... otherwise, it knows something is incorrect, but not so bad it can't re-load, so the gauges go 12 O'Clock High instead, and the sonar "fix" no longer is a "fix"... maybe... We hope to find out in a couple of days. Updates to follow. But there is no "fix" for this situation, only an avoidance, so that's what the fix will be...

While you're checking ships, Check Sentaka-Dai (spelling ok? I can't read my own scribbling)
sank 3/13/42 at 16:36 139'42" East 34'54" North.

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-20, 11:57 AM   #2310
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Quote:
I'll play the attack scenario again to see what happens. I've got a good save just as I turned to a 90 degree track using Dick O'Kane method. If after i sink the Heavy Cruiser and get a good save that would also point to the Chitose...
OK, this morning I played through several scenarios from a few of my GOOD save games. Whenever I sink the Warship, whether it is the Heay Cruiser Maya, Tone, Aoba or the Battleship Fuso, the saved game comes back up with gauges at "High Noon."

I am on my First Patrol, USS Gudgeon, Gar Class SS-211. I've been assigned to Sagami Wan Area 4 for 10 days. I left Pearl Harbor in Dec. 9, 1941 at 0600 (PHBT) and arrived on station December 24, 1941 ~ 0200 (PHBT).
I encounter a Convoy with random elements, usually a Heavy Cruiser, a Seaplane Tender Chitose Class and 1 to 3 Merchants. On my last playthrough I sank the Battleship Fuso. They leave the vicinity of Tokyo Bay on a heading of about 212 and zig zag to a heading of 165. (Nicely done BTW).

So, it appears that something is broken. IDK. I've tried to isolate it.

On my last playthrough with the Battleship Fuso, she showed up on my Aircraft Radar, I do not have surface radar at this early date. I was able to track her from about 11.5 miles very well until the convoy was visually sighted. I got very good speed and course data.

Of note, they ALL have scout planes on board.

Of note, the Chitose has a weird reflection at night that the other ships do not have.

Of note, before I arrived on station, I sank a single merchant vessel with no problems with the save game.

I have save games archived just in case anyone wants to play with them.

I suppose my next try should be to let the Warships go by and sink a merchant to see if that matters...

[EDIT] OK, I let the Warships go by and attacked the Modern Tanker, 2 hits and it didn't sink. I was going to reload and try again but I thought, might as well save game here. When I reloaded, gauges were at "High Noon" and the radio was playing which it was not when I attacked the Tanker. Could this be a sound issue?

I guess I'm done testing for now. I might try another Career out of Australia later in the war and see what happens...

Last edited by Front Runner; 12-15-20 at 01:11 PM.