SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-07-11, 07:18 PM   #1
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364
Uploads: 0

Default Enemy radar detection.

I've read in a few sub books of the enemy picking up radar signals from subs. I assume they don't have this ability in game?

If not, I was wondering if it would be possible to place APR on some JP capital ships, maybe with the ratings toned down, but wondered how they would respond when they detected your radar?
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-11, 08:31 PM   #2
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

I have not seen anything in the way of sensors that would lead me to think that the AI can detect your radar. I have thought of remedying that, (I'm not sure if it will work or not), but aside from "will it work or not", the major problem is, there is no way to toggle the SD radar on or off. So you'd be advertising your presence everywhere you went, with no way of not doing so.

The only solution to that, would be to change the SJ radar (since you can turn that one off) to be able to detect both surface and air targets, and change the existing SD radar into a dummy mockup. Of course while this would solve the problem of "untoggleable radar", the radar itself will no longer behave as it should.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11, 01:29 PM   #3
Radio
Planesman

Downloads: 339

IIRC I read that the IJN ships had only detectors for the "old " radars working in the meter-bandwidth and could not detect the modern centimeter-wave allied radars. Meaning even if you would add them to the game they would be useless

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11, 04:32 PM   #4
vincentz
Sailor man

Downloads: 69

didnt sh3 have radar detection or was that radio detection? And I might be wrong, but isnt the reason for turning off the radar, that you get detected otherwise (by triangular detection iirc)
vincentz is offline   Reply With Quote