SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-21-21, 11:51 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Old and new to it

Bought the game last year or even the yera bvefore, and forgot it. Went into it just now. I know Silent Service 1+2 , Jane's 688, Red Storm Rising, Sub Command, Dangerous Waters, Silent Hunter 3+4.

The game seems to be extremely badly balanced in sensors and AI skills...?! I am at 500 under a thiock layer, stormy water sat the surface, and enemy detects me - 688, 1984 - by ship from huge distance ten seconds after mission begins, and first torpedo already pinpoints me with utmost precision...?

I have very big problems, by comparison to the listed games above, to believe this all is "realistic". I feel like being technologically fifty years behind and playing against a neural network of Vulcans. In a 688 in 1984...? I enter missions on strategic map while being at creeping speeds, not being noisy. What I know about sonar and tactics, I know from the games listed.

Do I miss something, is the game that badly balanced? And it seems the developer abandoned the game quite quickly back then, or not?
Old 08-21-21, 08:25 PM   #2
goldmastersims
Bosun

Downloads: 147

Beginning an encounter while moving at 20 knots is the worst idea you can do. The enemy has a good idea where you are and maritime patrol aircraft are going to find you more easily.

The best way to mitigate this is to predict where the target is going and remain in place when you know they're gonna come to you.

Being at patrol speed (by holding right click) means you're starting at 10 knots, and it probably won't be as bad at the beginning as it would be if you were traveling at 20 knots to begin with.
goldmastersims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-21, 02:52 AM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

If it would be so simple, I wouldnt have posted. Yes, of course I start in a crawl, and the first thing I do when mission screen opens, is going to super-silent and into a dive, just in case, and checking if and where layers are.

Im talking about getting pinged or heard and then pinpointed by torpedoes with precision and shortest reaction times and under conditions where I find this very hard to imagine possible from Sub Command and Dangerous Waters and Janes 688.
Old 08-22-21, 04:59 AM   #4
goldmastersims
Bosun

Downloads: 147

Did an enemy MPA fly over you in the overworld map right before the encounter?

What difficulty do you play at?

Do you use the "Close to" option? If so, how how close do you go? Closing to 10kyd is probably not the smartest idea to do especially in the vanilla game in the 1984 campaign.

Historical inaccuracies also exacerbate this issue. Udaloy, Sovremenny, and Kirov all have USET-80s, which were only used on submarines historically. It doesn't help Kilo-class submarines have SS-N-16s, which also didn't carry them in their tubes in real life. Combine that with the Udaloy's very powerful sonar, and you're gonna have a bad time.

Enemies have a tendency to be trigger happy about actively pinging you in the vanilla game if you're close enough. This behavior is much more unlikely in Epic Mod and DotMod.
goldmastersims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-21, 09:01 AM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Thank you, but my nerves are wrecked, I am out of this. This game's sensor model and weapons model is way too far out of the envelope I am used to from the other modern subsims I mentioned. Thanks, but I'm out.
Old 08-22-21, 05:14 PM   #6
Polak2
Weps

Downloads: 60

Would it be of any benefit for the gameplay to mod this game a little more towards hardcore? Is it possible? Is it advisible?
Polak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-21, 06:19 PM   #7
steel shark
XO

Downloads: 48
Uploads: 5

radar ive got you covered

ive all ready made a enemy sensor hide mod for my DMC Mods & my Environmental Configs Noises are louder in my games to Hide you or Hinder you

The Comp Hide Alt Version will be in DMC Pack 3

my DMC huds were designed to accommodate this from day one

Ive made what i use to use In My EMT (Epic Mod Tweaks) Line of mods :

SnS Comp Hide Versions

So this hides the Enemy Sonar Sensor Values

as you wont know the enemy's sensor levels it will also mean using the identification book to look up what sensors are equipped on the various contacts to gauge their sensor capability's

this plus experience of the vessels over time will give a good added depth to judging when you are in danger of being detected

also you will need to take in to account the conditions more so ect ;

is their a thermal layer & Duct

how loud is the back ground ocean noise

how close is the ocean floor

& how loud your own vessel is

as these factors will matter in how close you can safely get without fear of being detected

as not knowing what the enemy can see Sensor wise will make it harder to know when you in danger of being Detected

So You ONLY GET to know what the enemy has sensor wise on his boat ie :

So MF Active MF Passive in the case of the pic below

MF = Medium Frequency ect

The pic is a old one but its a good example ect

Steel Shark

Last edited by steel shark; 10-20-21 at 07:19 PM.
steel shark is offline   Reply With Quote