SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-09-07, 10:00 PM   #121
CaptCrashDive
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Hardcore

Hardcore, so the test says, but I think I missed the Sin(45)=.707 question That is what my XO is for.
CaptCrashDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 10:04 PM   #122
Snuffy
XO

Downloads: 5
Default Hunh!

ROLE-PLAYING SUBSIM SKIPPER
Your taste in sub and naval games runs the gamut from Grey Wolf to Silent Hunter 4. You have tried them all, at varying realism options. You're a lit-tle old-er than the typical subsim skipper, and probably remember using a tape cassette player to load programs onto your Radio Shack TRS-80. (Or perhaps you're wise beyond your years.) Your primary joy is using your imagination to put yourself into the game. You are able to overlook little details like the crew appearing instantly on the bridge, or wonky AI: to you, these are easily worked into the story as a crew who are really light on their feet, and frigates that have green skippers. The game platform gets you halfway there, your imagination does the rest. You spend lots of time setting up your crew management so it's just right and may even talk to them. You relish managing support and logistics in games like Pacific Storm, Navy Field, and Silent War.
Old 04-09-07, 10:08 PM   #123
Greentimbers
Helmsman

Downloads: 18

"Sim" in Subsim, Hardcore
Greentimbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 10:13 PM   #124
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

Im stunned !

I scored hard core !!

Obviously the quiz is faulty
SteamWake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 10:26 PM   #125
WWSandMan
Watch

Yeah... the quiz must be off a key or three. I am the epitomy of the sub-sim n00b, and still scored a "hardcore" rating.

Surely it wasn't all those war patrols in Silent Service II so many years ago that have garnered me such a rating?

Quote:

HARDCORE SUBSIM SKIPPER

No doubt about it, you are hardcore. You are the kind of subsim player who pins up the Kriegsmarine gridmap on your wall, you use a redlamp when playing at night, your wife lets you know her mother is visiting by shouting "Alarm!" and you didn't know--or care--that Silent Hunter III has a save game feature. You cut your teeth plotting attacks in Gato, sank 28,000 tons in your first Aces of the Deep patrol, and played Dangerous Waters at 100% realism. You scoff at wannabes who whine about some niggling detail in a subsim but use the red triangle-infested auto TDC and auto-map updates. You never, ever, use anything but full realism.

You are the "sim" in Subsim.

Old 04-09-07, 11:02 PM   #126
CDR Resser
Lieutenant

Downloads: 59
Default Skipper Survey

I guess I'm Hardcore. Finally, a name for my problem.
CDR Resser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 11:15 PM   #127
OddjobXL
Torpedoman

Did anyone not get "Hardcore?"!
OddjobXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 11:33 PM   #128
ceedub
Watch

Downloads: 88
Default I'm "Hardcore"?

I answered all the questions as honestly as I could (except for the "sex-with-animals" thing of course...have to hold some things back!). But I still got rated "Hardcore"!
Now I play at 82% realism. I like external views. I use time-compression. Savegames...of course!
And I don't sail all the way home after completing my missions.
Those of you who do play DID, no external views, real-time missions, no nav map info, etc... all power to you. You are the "Hardcore" skippers in my book.
I just play for fun and have been cranking up the realism as I gradually learn more about this wonderful sim.

Cheers
Ceedub
ceedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 12:20 AM   #129
Reyern
Swabbie

Downloads: 11

Says im hardcore but im really just a carebare trying to level up my crew for the next quest into the dragons lair.
Reyern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 12:40 AM   #130
SleazeyWombat
Mate

Downloads: 3

STRATEGIC SUBSIM SKIPPER

Quote:
For you, Silent Hunter 4 is just Battleship with shiny, moving pieces. You see the big picture, you think long term, and you are indifferent to political consequences. They would not have put you in charge of a $2 billion attack sub if they didn't want you to use it. You learned that back in Red Storm Rising and you never forgot. You prefer handling large scale operations like Fleet Command and Fighting Steel. Half your time is spent setting up mind-numbingly complex battle plans, with 8 layers of contingencies. You pray for the day Sonalysts will release a ballistic missile sub. With nukes. Every day is a good day for the other side to die. Your motto is "Be my friend or be a mushroom cloud."
Damn straight.
SleazeyWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 12:50 AM   #131
Telgriff
中国水兵

Downloads: 3

ROLE-PLAYING SUBSIM SKIPPER
Your taste in sub and naval games runs the gamut from Grey Wolf to Silent Hunter 4. You have tried them all, at varying realism options. You're a lit-tle old-er than the typical subsim skipper, and probably remember using a tape cassette player to load programs onto your Radio Shack TRS-80. (Or perhaps you're wise beyond your years.) Your primary joy is using your imagination to put yourself into the game. You are able to overlook little details like the crew appearing instantly on the bridge, or wonky AI: to you, these are easily worked into the story as a crew who are really light on their feet, and frigates that have green skippers. The game platform gets you halfway there, your imagination does the rest. You spend lots of time setting up your crew management so it's just right and may even talk to them. You relish managing support and logistics in games like Pacific Storm, Navy Field, and Silent War.

It starts off nice, then insults me! *Plots course for intercept*

GeForce 8800GTS
4 Gig DDr2
Telgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 01:11 AM   #132
Crosseye76
Lieutenant

HARDCORE SUBSIM SKIPPER No doubt about it, you are hardcore. You are the kind of subsim player who pins up the Kriegsmarine gridmap on your wall, you use a redlamp when playing at night, your wife lets you know her mother is visiting by shouting "Alarm!" and you didn't know--or care--that Silent Hunter III has a save game feature. You cut your teeth plotting attacks in Gato, sank 28,000 tons in your first Aces of the Deep patrol, and played Dangerous Waters at 100% realism. You scoff at wannabes who whine about some niggling detail in a subsim but use the red triangle-infested auto TDC and auto-map updates. You never, ever, use anything but full realism.
You are the "sim" in Subsim.
Old 04-10-07, 01:12 AM   #133
winniepoo10
Nub

Downloads: 16
Default What kind of subsim skipper are you?

Hi all,

I scored Hardcore however I am more Casual playing my first stock campaign in SH3 at a lowly 23% realism (don't even know what options are turned off). I love this game and am just enjoying the visuals and blowing things up.

Had an experience in a convoy attack last weekend where the front two compartments flooded from dc's and had to blow ballast and full reverse just to keep her off the bottom - experiences such as these where I survive and get back to port - albeit minus the tonnage - is helping fuel my desire for more and more realism.

I am just starting to experiment with proper intercepts and manual TDC although haven't started manual tracking, recognition and manual input into TDC. I have tinkered with various mods and installed GWX which looks fantastic.

A laminated copy of the Kriegsmarine Map has pride off place in a stand above my keyboard on my computer desk and I did get a kick back in the day from 688 Attach Sub Hunter Killer. I guess that spending all my spare time lurking at Subsim also probably helped me get my hardcore rating.

Jason Winthrop
winniepoo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 02:16 AM   #134
Fire_Spy
Mate

Downloads: 25

STRATEGIC SUBSIM SKIPPER
For you, Silent Hunter 4 is just Battleship with shiny, moving pieces. You see the big picture, you think long term, and you are indifferent to political consequences. They would not have put you in charge of a $2 billion attack sub if they didn't want you to use it. You learned that back in Red Storm Rising and you never forgot. You prefer handling large scale operations like Fleet Command and Fighting Steel. Half your time is spent setting up mind-numbingly complex battle plans, with 8 layers of contingencies. You pray for the day Sonalysts will release a ballistic missile sub. With nukes. Every day is a good day for the other side to die. Your motto is "Be my friend or be a mushroom cloud."

I found it amusing that I HAVE been playing Fleet command alot these last few weeks . Been playing SHIII alot too... And of course Dangerous waters.
The Russians knew where the carrier group was, but it would move in the four hours required by the bombers to get there. Their missiles needed precise information if they were to home in on the raid's primary target, the two American and one French carrier, or the mission was a wasted effort.

The game was hide and seek, played over a million square miles of ocean. The losers died.
Fire_Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 02:52 AM   #135
bart
Frogman

Downloads: 245

I'm the SUB in SUBSIM..............

DOH.................

deffinetly hardcore...........now I just need to get SH4 workin right to prove it