SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-21, 09:13 AM   #1
Barkhorn1x
Captain

Downloads: 59
Uploads: 0
Default Differences between Epic & DOT Mods

I have questions;

- How do they differ?
- What are the Pros for each?
- What are the Cons?
- Which is more stable?
- Which is more fun?

Thanks in advance gents.
Old 08-12-21, 11:11 AM   #2
Badger343rd
Loader

Downloads: 66
Uploads: 3

Good question...I use both (or all 3 if you will due to addons to DOT) epic seems more "russian centric", while DOT is more NATO oriented (or so it seems to me)addons seem too 'up' the time period...while with EPIC its built in. IMO DOT has better "targets" as a russian captain(I'm an Akula driver),as they are adding NATO ship models. As for fun factor?...Hmmm...I've been playing EPIC since it came out...DOT I just started about 4 days ago, But I'm spending most of my time since installing it, adding things I'm used to having in EPIC.DOT has some innovative HUD stuff, which is why I'm using it of late. My advice is try both...see which one floats yer boat. Neither one has crashed on me yet. Cons??...only one I can think of is the simple fact that there are 2 mods instead of one...seems like there's a rivalry going on...but that could be a misinterpretation on my part. My goal is to sort of have best of both worlds in one install. An "EPIC DOT MEGA MOD"

Last edited by Badger343rd; 08-16-21 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-12-21, 01:23 PM   #3
Barkhorn1x
Captain

TY for the rundown Badger.
Old 08-12-21, 02:24 PM   #4
Badger343rd
Loader

No Problem...hopefully someone will come in that has more time under their belt on DOT to point out the differences more clearly.
Old 08-13-21, 07:25 AM   #5
NavyGuy570
Seaman

Downloads: 5

The 2 mods are similar, but also very different. EpicMod seems to be the ‘premier mod” that the majority of the population is using, but many people who have previously used EpicMod seem to like DotMod more. EpicMod is massive, and can deliver loads of content. Something like 50 playable submarines,
10 campaign etc. Note EpicMod also has several new features, like deployable towed arrays, SAMs, players can use guns and RBU’s, and couple newly imported custom models.

DotMod sacrifices a lot of this content for higher quality campaigns and ships. Currently the latest ships you will find in DotMod are the Virginia and Yasen, because these are the last submarines that fit the 1968-2004 time period. We will not be adding any more modern submarines. On top of that, we currently only have vessels from a select few nations, the US, USSR, UK, China, and Norway. These are the only countries that fit the North Atlantic theater. But, several of these vessels have also received new modes, there is a custom Virginia, Oberon, Trafalgar, and Kobben.

Campaigns on both sides have also been completely reworked, the 1968 and 1984 NATO campaigns are based off the 1990 Campiagn Mod, and have been extensively tested. They play very nicely too. The 1984 Soviet campaign, currently the only Soviet campaign (but I can promise you a 1968 Soviet campaign will be out soon), was also built from the ground up. While it’s technically still in beta, it features the Prestige system. Essentially, you start with a bad submarine (Whiskey) and as you complete missions and sink enemy ships, you gain Prestige. When you have enough prestige, you can buy a better vessel. If you do not like this, it can easily be removed.

If you’ve played EpicMod, you’ll know one of the coolest things about it is the surface ship combat. The player can now use guns, RBU’s, chaff and CIWS. But these changes only get more advanced in DotMod. Some surface ships feature a deployable towed array, and all surface ships now feature a new HUD system. No, it’s not a different colored hud with the toolbars moved. There is now a toolbar and buttons for guns, RBU’s, and even a toolbar to launch extra missiles. Missiles also appear on radar and the tactical map, so do aircraft, this seems to make surface combat a bit easier to follow and less chaotic. Note the team has also started modeling the entire NATO fleet, and now has Tico, Perry, Spruance, and T21 models, with several more in the works.
*We had missile and aircraft icons on radar months ha before EpicMod did.

With that in mind, I think it is safe to say EpicMod may offer more quantity of content, but DotMod offers higher quality content that is only getting more and more numerous.
Old 08-13-21, 08:23 AM   #6
Barkhorn1x
Captain

OK Great info. NavyGuy.
Old 08-17-21, 08:53 PM   #7
SKIPPER80
Watch

Downloads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyGuy570 View Post
The 2 mods are similar, but also very different. EpicMod seems to be the ‘premier mod” that the majority of the population is using, but many people who have previously used EpicMod seem to like DotMod more. EpicMod is massive, and can deliver loads of content. Something like 50 playable submarines,
10 campaign etc. Note EpicMod also has several new features, like deployable towed arrays, SAMs, players can use guns and RBU’s, and couple newly imported custom models.

DotMod sacrifices a lot of this content for higher quality campaigns and ships. Currently the latest ships you will find in DotMod are the Virginia and Yasen, because these are the last submarines that fit the 1968-2004 time period. We will not be adding any more modern submarines. On top of that, we currently only have vessels from a select few nations, the US, USSR, UK, China, and Norway. These are the only countries that fit the North Atlantic theater. But, several of these vessels have also received new modes, there is a custom Virginia, Oberon, Trafalgar, and Kobben.

Campaigns on both sides have also been completely reworked, the 1968 and 1984 NATO campaigns are based off the 1990 Campiagn Mod, and have been extensively tested. They play very nicely too. The 1984 Soviet campaign, currently the only Soviet campaign (but I can promise you a 1968 Soviet campaign will be out soon), was also built from the ground up. While it’s technically still in beta, it features the Prestige system. Essentially, you start with a bad submarine (Whiskey) and as you complete missions and sink enemy ships, you gain Prestige. When you have enough prestige, you can buy a better vessel. If you do not like this, it can easily be removed.

If you’ve played EpicMod, you’ll know one of the coolest things about it is the surface ship combat. The player can now use guns, RBU’s, chaff and CIWS. But these changes only get more advanced in DotMod. Some surface ships feature a deployable towed array, and all surface ships now feature a new HUD system. No, it’s not a different colored hud with the toolbars moved. There is now a toolbar and buttons for guns, RBU’s, and even a toolbar to launch extra missiles. Missiles also appear on radar and the tactical map, so do aircraft, this seems to make surface combat a bit easier to follow and less chaotic. Note the team has also started modeling the entire NATO fleet, and now has Tico, Perry, Spruance, and T21 models, with several more in the works.
*We had missile and aircraft icons on radar months ha before EpicMod did.

With that in mind, I think it is safe to say EpicMod may offer more quantity of content, but DotMod offers higher quality content that is only getting more and more numerous.
Thanks for the info. Just one more question about the combat AI. how is that compared to EM?
Old 08-18-21, 03:43 PM   #8
NavyGuy570
Seaman

It no longer gets to have magical cheats, gyro-guided torpedoes actually work against them, and the enemy actually knows how to avoid torpedoes.
Old 08-19-21, 08:12 AM   #9
xceptor
Swabbie

Downloads: 31

The prestige system is too restrictive. I dont like im locked out of options. Besides, trying to go into a nuke fight wielding a spoon and french baguette is no fun. How do I disable it so i can actually use true to era russian submarines?

Last edited by xceptor; 08-19-21 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-19-21, 02:49 PM   #10
Badger343rd
Loader

campaign folder(which ever campaign #)... look in summary.txt

changer to whatever sub you want by removing extra subs you don't want to use. e.g.
PlayerVessels=wp_84_ssn_akula1
Old 08-20-21, 03:55 PM   #11
NavyGuy570
Seaman

Also DotMod has this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DC7F850F-BF0E-4CB1-8789-337F51E2E1BD.jpg (18.1 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg FC2196C5-E286-418B-AE37-2D01DD62675A.jpg (18.1 KB, 145 views)
Closed Thread