SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-04-21, 05:31 PM   #31
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Israel, Saudis, etc., the "usual suspects", but what about a wild card?; could it be possible the factions in the ME (and other world locations) that have been itching to get a widespread conflict going among the ME nations are using the latest Palestinian/Israeli dust up to foment their own agenda and have been engaging in their own acts of sabotage? There are a lot of fringe, militant groups and militias throughout the ME who have been salivating over a 'final' showdown with Israel and the US...

<O>
Old 06-11-21, 04:15 AM   #32
FireDragon76
Bosun

Downloads: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
It could have something to do with the civil war in Yemen The perpetrator in this case would most likely be Saudi-Arabia.

Markus

Or it could just be an accident, which isn't that rare in alot of navies that have high rates of conscription.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
Israel, Saudis, etc., the "usual suspects", but what about a wild card?; could it be possible the factions in the ME (and other world locations) that have been itching to get a widespread conflict going among the ME nations are using the latest Palestinian/Israeli dust up to foment their own agenda and have been engaging in their own acts of sabotage? There are a lot of fringe, militant groups and militias throughout the ME who have been salivating over a 'final' showdown with Israel and the US...

<O>

I forgot who said this quote, "Never attribute to malice what can't better be explained by stupidity", but that is probably more or less the case. Stuff happens, especially on ships with poorly trained crew.

edit. It's called Hanlon's Razor, apparrently:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor
FireDragon76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-21, 06:39 AM   #33
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

...or, as we used to say in IT, before you run a system diagnostic, check to see if the device is actually plugged in/online...

<O>

Last edited by vienna; 06-11-21 at 03:09 PM.
vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-21, 08:20 AM   #34
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragon76 View Post
Or it could just be an accident, which isn't that rare in alot of navies that have high rates of conscription.
That is certainly my take on the matter

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-21, 09:42 AM   #35
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

The leaving head of the Israeli mossad recently had an interview where he surprisingly frnakly admitted responsibility of Israel for several "incidents" in and coups against Iran.

After that you see Israel taking out that ship as a perfectly valid and realistic scenario.

In the end it does not matter what where sinks - as long as it is Iranian and sinks I am fine with it. They do not have many supply assets like this. A loss of their biggest such asset seriously is a handicap for their navy's operational ambition.
Old 06-11-21, 09:56 AM   #36
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/06/11/m...ntl/index.html

Makes oyu wondering: will these two last?
Old 06-11-21, 11:34 AM   #37
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragon76 View Post
Can't remember from where I heard the news first-If it was here at subsim, reading the article in this thread.

My first thought was Oman-not so far from Yemen, it was therefore I thought it was the Saudies who was behind it.

Now I know it was an accident-So the Iranian say.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-21, 11:44 AM   #38
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
The leaving head of the Israeli mossad recently had an interview where he surprisingly frnakly admitted responsibility of Israel for several "incidents" in and coups against Iran.

After that you see Israel taking out that ship as a perfectly valid and realistic scenario.

In the end it does not matter what where sinks - as long as it is Iranian and sinks I am fine with it. They do not have many supply assets like this. A loss of their biggest such asset seriously is a handicap for their navy's operational ambition.
The outgoing head of the Israeli spy agency Mossad has given a revelatory interview about the country's operations against Iran.

Yossi Cohen gave details about the theft of Iran's nuclear archive.

The warehouse raid in 2018 ferried tens of thousands of documents out of the country to Israel.

He also hinted at Israeli involvement in the destruction of Iran's nuclear facility at Natanz, and the assassination of a nuclear scientist.

Mr Cohen retired as the head of Mossad last week.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-57440430

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-21, 12:35 PM   #39
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

^ Don't know how usual it is for a countries agency to brag about their operations in other countries-Like the story above.

On the other hand....what can Iran do ?? By them self...not much they can send some of their missiles against Israel.

Hope some of their Muslim brothers will stand by-Not likely

Fight Israel by proxy-very likely.

In all three cases-Iran will get a good old fashionable ass-whooping.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-21, 03:22 AM   #40
FireDragon76
Bosun

Downloads: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Could also have something to do with internal divisions & strife inside Iran too. Not every in that country is happy living in a militant islamic theocracy.

I don't think internal division in Iran is any greater than the US, at least I see no evidence to support that. If anything, the divisions seem to be less so. You've got moderates and conservatives just like you do in any polity, but the moderates and conservatives don't share completely different worldviews. You can't really say the same in the US, which is much more pluralistic and recently has been struggling with that same pluralism.

A lecture by Rick Steves on his trip to Iran, and his impressions of the country:

The documentary is worth seeing, but the lecture is better.

Other things I have read suggest the real operating philosophy behind Iran is not Shia Islamic fundamentalism, which has a relatively pessimistic outlook and some ME commentators have called "stillborn" in inception, but simply Persian nationalism/populism.
FireDragon76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-21, 05:43 PM   #41
d@rk51d3
Sea Lord

Downloads: 193

Was reading this morning, that they’ve managed to misplace 3 Kilo class subs previously too.

Last edited by d@rk51d3; 06-13-21 at 06:06 PM.
d@rk51d3 is online   Reply With Quote