SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-09-10, 04:57 AM   #691
Axeman3d
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0

Just discover that Sun Tzu's 'The Art of War' is available for free as an e-book (his copyright ran out about 2500 years ago) so I have stuck it on the iPad and am re-reading that. I still find it hard to wrap my head around how old this book is, and how little warfare and mankind have changed in the intervening years. He was a smart cookie, even for the ancient Chinese, but ruthless with it.
Axeman3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-10, 10:33 AM   #692
Tessa
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 22

Just finished reading the new biography on Chesty Puller. It does a good job of laying out the facts and juxtaposes them with all the legends and tall tales that his heroic deeds spun into. He was the most badass Marine officer ever imo (Daniel Daly gets the nod for enlisted - earned 2 medals of honor along with being a mean fighting machine) and should've gotten at least 1 moh (though his 5 Navy Crosses looks pretty badass with all his other decorations) for Guadacanal or the Chosin Resevoir.

Am now re-reading the CB books. Is really neat as I pick up different information than I did when I first read them; am not trying to digest everything at once but sit back and enjoy the read.
Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-10, 07:37 AM   #693
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Reading from the Osprey Fortress series over the weekend.

The Führer’s Headquarters, Hitler’s command bunkers 1939–45

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-10, 02:47 AM   #694
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Currently reading the first (I think) of Blair's U-baot books, The Hunters. Very enjoyable read so far! If i wasnt interested in UBoats via SH, I think I may find it kinda boring, but being able to imagine it from the perspective of both sides is really helping.

Are there any good books pertaining to life aboard a u-boat, rank structure, war stories, etc? I'd like to know more about the actual operations of the boat, and not the overall strategic view, as that's all I've really found in Blair so far.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-10, 02:48 AM   #695
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman3d View Post
Just discover that Sun Tzu's 'The Art of War' is available for free as an e-book (his copyright ran out about 2500 years ago) so I have stuck it on the iPad and am re-reading that. I still find it hard to wrap my head around how old this book is, and how little warfare and mankind have changed in the intervening years. He was a smart cookie, even for the ancient Chinese, but ruthless with it.
I'm about 2/3 through that too, free kindle version FTW. My biggest issue is trying to get by all the commentators my version has. Each time it's been translated /edited, the 'editor' has added some comments of their own.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-10, 10:52 AM   #696
STEED
Lucky Jack

Moved on now and re-reading...

The Rocket and the Reich: Peenemunde and the coming of the ballistic missile era

By Michael J. Neufeld

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 12-19-10, 12:42 PM   #697
Egan
Admiral

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt. Weyprecht View Post
How is the Crash Dive compared to Ben Bryant's Submarine Commander? I read that one last year and really liked it.

By the way, any advice on Unknown Waters by Alfred Scott McLaren and William R. Anderson? I considered ordering it recently and I finally turned back to the WW2 with Clear the Bridge.
Crash Dive is a great book. A very different feel to it's German or American peers imo.

Currently reading 'Carriers in Combat' by Chester G Hearn. Interesting enough but no great shakes.
Egan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-10, 03:37 PM   #698
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Not relating to naval topics in any way but still a valuable read for anybody interested in World War One is Pyrrhic Victory: French Strategy and Operations in the Great War by Robert Doughty. In particular and by using French and American primary sources Col. Doughty's work shows Anglo-French relations in a considerably different light than the conventional wisdom as told by Terraine, Spears, Edmonds, Taylor and Neillands et al.
Old 12-31-10, 05:19 PM   #699
MaddogK
XO

Downloads: 15

Am breaking in my new kindle correctly- Sun Tzu 'The art of war'

MaddogK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 06:24 AM   #700
Sepp von Ch.
Sea Lord

Downloads: 788

Currently reading great new MacLean´s book Dönitz's Crews - Germany's U-Boat Sailors in WWII, Schiffer.
Sepp von Ch. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 07:15 AM   #701
STEED
Lucky Jack

Third the way in to....

Storming Eagles

German Airborne Forces in World War Two

By James Lucas

Old 01-02-11, 02:38 PM   #702
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Currently reading Massie's "Dreadnought", a sweeping historical overview of the lead-up to WWI, which I'm seeing as a prequel to his excellent WWI naval survey "Castles of Steel". I love his writing style and treatment of personalities in his books - really fleshes out the history and makes it more than just technology and politics, and more than just about the German and British navies.

Also picked up Gannon's "Operation Drumbeat" and "Black May". Subjects need little explanation - looking forward to these

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 12:51 PM   #703
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP View Post
Also picked up Gannon's "Operation Drumbeat" and "Black May". Subjects need little explanation - looking forward to these
"Operation Drumbeat"-You won't be disappointed. Very good book. I like Gannon's style alot. The detailing of Hardegen's patrol with U-123 makes it worth the read.

His "Black May" is on my to buy list on Amazon.

“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 07:56 AM   #704
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

J.C. Masterman's The Double Cross System 1939 - 1945.

About how German agents were turned to our advantage, providing misinformation (mostly) to the Abwehr.

Not much about underwater stuff apart from MINCEMEAT, which most people now know about.

Next I've got another book about S.O.E lined up then it will finally be Kingmaker - sorry it's been so long Brag!
Old 01-05-11, 08:06 PM   #705
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14

I'm currently about halfway through Brian Lavery's and Geoff Hunt's The Frigate Surprise. Really interesting book so far - but all the pretty pictures and Hunt's paintings make it hard for me to follow the text!

Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books